Gopher Softball 2022

Suspended play with bases loaded no outs for gophers. 8 walks lucky for Leavitt to only give up 1 run
Is it true they won’t finish the game until Wednesday before a game scheduled against Oklahoma. That just seems crazy and like maybe the game should just be called a win or a no contest.

Ellee struggling hitting but doesn't help get back on track when she plays like half the games, need her leadoff every game
Rather have her play less rather than out for the year with injury.

I know I’m a broken record on this but I believe we were so lucky to have that COVID year last year that allowed Fiser to have that extra year to at least bridge us to Leavitt. Can you imagine some of the ugliness in some games last year with pitchers on last year’s roster that had less tools than Leavitt? I think it could have been an embarrassing number of ugly games last year.

As to this year… I know we have all been saying pitching was going to be key, but it just hasn’t played out like I expected months ago. I thought we would be weaker at the one and two starting pitcher spots than we are used to being but that we could throw bodies at our opponents as well with lots of relief pitchers. But those extra pitchers on the roster are almost all gone. So we are not as strong at 1 and 2 starters as we are used to being AND thinner in the bullpen. Not good!

What happened to Hostettler?
Yeah, what happened? Great question. It seems the rule in women's varsity programs that athletes disappear from teams with never a word of explanation to the fan base, who are still asked to spend to support the program.

Is it true they won’t finish the game until Wednesday before a game scheduled against Oklahoma. That just seems crazy and like maybe the game should just be called a win or a no contest.
They play Oklahoma tomorrow at 4:00pm in Norman, then a day off before returning to Stillwater for what was to be another single game against Oklahoma State, but will now be the conclusion of today’s game plus the scheduled game.

Yeah, what happened? Great question. It seems the rule in women's varsity programs that athletes disappear from teams with never a word of explanation to the fan base, who are still asked to spend to support the program.
Her reasons for leaving are between her and the coaching staff. While we may think that we are owed an explanation, it is entirely the player that can choose to disclose their reason(s) for leaving. And, yes, we are asked to continue to support the program. I choose that to mean to support the players that have chosen to come to Minnesota and that are still here.

Her reasons for leaving are between her and the coaching staff. While we may think that we are owed an explanation, it is entirely the player that can choose to disclose their reason(s) for leaving. And, yes, we are asked to continue to support the program. I choose that to mean to support the players that have chosen to come to Minnesota and that are still here.
A very simple and brief statement is all that would be needed: it was an injury; a disagreement; a personal matter; bereavement, etc. Nothing more need be said to answer speculation.

A very simple and brief statement is all that would be needed: it was an injury; a disagreement; a personal matter; bereavement, etc. Nothing more need be said to answer speculation.
I understand. I did notice that Brynn is on the roster for Augsburg softball which is a Division III school.

Facing Jordy, going out on a limb predicting a 5 inning no hitter

This is an awful strike zone on the RHB side of plate

Ellee struggling hitting but doesn't help get back on track when she plays like half the games, need her leadoff every game
In terms of our batting lineup, Espalin is outperforming my expectations while Jensen and Kinch seem to be struggling this year much more than I would have thought.

The others seem to be playing at w
Facing Jordy, going out on a limb predicting a 5 inning no hitter
We haven’t given up any dingers; so we got that going for us.

In terms of our batting lineup, Espalin is outperforming my expectations while Jensen and Kinch seem to be struggling this year much more than I would have thought.

Cold weather could be affecting that, had 2 get out to warning track

Bit of a throwaway game with the zone being couple inches too much high and several inches too little on RH box, gave OU a run on walk and threw Jordy off. Gophers couple good plays to save runs on defense not much on offense

Bit of a throwaway game with the zone being couple inches too much high and several inches too little on RH box, gave OU a run on walk and threw Jordy off. Gophers couple good plays to save runs on defense not much on offense
Can’t leave basses loaded in the 2nd and 3rd innings and expect to stay close to #1

"playing at w"- can I ask what that means?
Of course, it wasn't expected MN would beat OU, but they left the bases loaded 2 of the first 3 innings.They could've made it interesting. It would be interesting to know how many times in the past 2+ yr. the Gophers have ended their half of an inning with bases loaded. Except for Espalin., DenHartog, & Dowell the hitting is so incredibly tepid. Frustrating. The OSU game on Wed. will resume with Gophers on all 3 bases & no out. Please score at least 4 or 5 runs in that situation & make it look like Gophers softball for once.

Here’s hoping that after facing all of these elite pitchers these past few weeks, when these softballs come out of the hands of Big Ten pitchers they will look as big as beach balls to our hitters come conference play.

"playing at w"- can I ask what that means?
Of course, it wasn't expected MN would beat OU, but they left the bases loaded 2 of the first 3 innings.They could've made it interesting. It would be interesting to know how many times in the past 2+ yr. the Gophers have ended their half of an inning with bases loaded. Except for Espalin., DenHartog, & Dowell the hitting is so incredibly tepid. Frustrating. The OSU game on Wed. will resume with Gophers on all 3 bases & no out. Please score at least 4 or 5 runs in that situation & make it look like Gophers softball for once.

I had an earlier, unfinished draft post that accidentally tagged along to my intended, jokey, “no-dingers” post. Whoops.

My train of thought from last night when I was typing out that original post was just that, to me, besides Kinch and Jensen, most of our batters are doing about as well as I expected for this year so far. Espalin is way outperforming my expectations - I just didn’t know.

And, of course, the pitching is not quite as good as I hoped for so far this year. But I still think they will do fine during the Big Ten season.

I had an earlier, unfinished draft post that accidentally tagged along to my intended, jokey, “no-dingers” post. Whoops.

My train of thought from last night when I was typing out that original post was just that, to me, besides Kinch and Jensen, most of our batters are doing about as well as I expected for this year so far. Espalin is way outperforming my expectations - I just didn’t know.

And, of course, the pitching is not quite as good as I hoped for so far this year. But I still think they will do fine during the Big Ten season.
Hopefully you're right. By not producing with ROB, the hitters force the pitchers to win (if they win) way too many games by single runs. I wish the team all the very best, but it's hard to be sanquine about the BIG season w/o lights-out hitting. They'll have to almost undefeated to beat out MI. Are other BIG teams facing many highly ranked opponents now? (Sorry to ramble on...)

Storako and Williams to end season tough, can't imagine there's many good pitchers on the conference schedule before then

Bad throw from Natalie that should have been a gimme out

Glad I'm on the Oklahoma bandwagon this season pretty close to a lost cause

Top Bottom