Gopher Softball 2022

The Gophers coaches have consistently shown an inability or unwillingness to substitute at critical points in the game. Choosing instead to let whoever is up next to step into the batters box, regardless of the horrific results to that point. It is clear this is their coaching philosophy.

My prediction is that you will see a continual drop off in players willing to commit to the Gophers program. Who wants to attempt to play for a coach that is unwilling to make changes or give others opportunities when the starters are playing poorly? It is understandable to give players who have successfully competed in previous games more leeway when they struggle, but what is the excuse for Dray to still be starting every game and never have a pinch hitter? It was the same with Brandt last season. Why does Lindner get some at bats and none of the others do? Her results are not better. Jones left for North Carolina and she has had a nice start at the plate for the Tar Heels. Did she even have 10 plate appearances in 2 years for the Gophers?

I follow a high number of programs, as I coach high level club softball players to get them to the programs that fit them best. Look at programs like Washington and LSU for example, they used a high percentage of their bench over the first weekend of games. Florida State does the same thing. The whole team buys in when you give girls the opportunity to earn their spot by their play in actual games. This staff does not give players that opportunity. It will be an issue as they try to recruit players in the future.

Last edited:

“My prediction is that you will see a continual drop off in players willing to commit to the Gophers program.”

I agree with AZGopher8’s theory on playing opportunities and it’s impact on recruiting, The theory makes sense. I will only retort that the Gophers softball team probably has one of their best recruiting classes ever coming in as freshmen next year. The question is if they can keep that up given this theory.

"The question is if they can keep that up given this theory." ClassOf98Gopher. Isn't the answer: Win and win big, so the wins are noticed around the Softball world? You can't do that by continually leaving runners in scoring position.

The one good thing is that Michigan is the closest geographical program that has a better outlook, so MN/IA/WI/ND/SD recruits we can still pitch on staying close to home

Much better lineup for UTEP game
Yeah, that’s about as good as it gets. I would like to see Kinch or Evans prove through their performance that this Season that they are clear 4-batters; but as we sit here today, that is about as good of a hitting lineup as we can expect - sacrificing a little on the defensive side of the ball at 1st base.

Sure wouldn’t mind Hollifield and/or Valencia getting getting some time on the mound during this UTEP game.

“My prediction is that you will see a continual drop off in players willing to commit to the Gophers program.”

I agree with AZGopher8’s theory on playing opportunities and it’s impact on recruiting, The theory makes sense. I will only retort that the Gophers softball team probably has one of their best recruiting classes ever coming in as freshmen next year. The question is if they can keep that up given this theory.
Could you explain next year's recruiting class, for someone like me, who doesn't follow it?

Could you explain next year's recruiting class, for someone like me, who doesn't follow it?

Jess Oakland ( Northern California) best player on the best high school team. I believe she led California in Home Runs. She hit the cover off the ball last year. I am super excited about her potential.

Addison Leschber (Austin area of Texas) sweet left handed swing with power. She is a great athlete including volleyball and track.

Sydney Schwartz (Minnesota) the best player (and probably pitcher) in the state since her Sophomore year in my opinion although some preferred Allison Benning because of her pitch velocity.

Breezy Burnett - (Florida) Honestly I know little about her as she came onto the radar fairly late last Summer/Fall but “the ratings” suggest she is a very highly rated outfielder.

Billi Connell (Minnesota) and Maggie Werner (Wisconsin) are local recruits that I do t know a lot about.

The Gophers coaches have consistently shown an inability or unwillingness to substitute at critical points in the game. Choosing instead to let whoever is up next to step into the batters box, regardless of the horrific results to that point. It is clear this is their coaching philosophy.

My prediction is that you will see a continual drop off in players willing to commit to the Gophers program. Who wants to attempt to play for a coach that is unwilling to make changes or give others opportunities when the starters are playing poorly? It is understandable to give players who have successfully competed in previous games more leeway when they struggle, but what is the excuse for Dray to still be starting every game and never have a pinch hitter? It was the same with Brandt last season. Why does Lindner get some at bats and none of the others do? Her results are not better. Jones left for North Carolina and she has had a nice start at the plate for the Tar Heels. Did she even have 10 plate appearances in 2 years for the Gophers?

I follow a high number of programs, as I coach high level club softball players to get them to the programs that fit them best. Look at programs like Washington and LSU for example, they used a high percentage of their bench over the first weekend of games. Florida State does the same thing. The whole team buys in when you give girls the opportunity to earn their spot by their play in actual games. This staff does not give players that opportunity. It will be an issue as they try to recruit players in the future.
I think that’s a great point. I’ve been saying the same thing for years. It’s not just Piper either. It’s no doubt why we’ve had so many players leave over the last few years. Trachsel was the same way. She lost a bunch of players as a Gopher coach and Ole Miss has had a bunch of players leave as well. Very few great programs lose players, because the coaches don’t just treat them like “players,” they treat them like human beings. Girls need to feel good to play well. Watch Hutchins, Inouye-Perez or Gasso and you see Coaches with passion and compassion. That is why they are so successful. Piper and the other coaches are ice cold. I see no connection with players, no emotion or encouragement. Piper is a good technician but not a great leader.

I think that’s a great point. I’ve been saying the same thing for years. It’s not just Piper either. It’s no doubt why we’ve had so many players leave over the last few years. Trachsel was the same way. She lost a bunch of players as a Gopher coach and Ole Miss has had a bunch of players leave as well. Very few great programs lose players, because the coaches don’t just treat them like “players,” they treat them like human beings. Girls need to feel good to play well. Watch Hutchins, Inouye-Perez or Gasso and you see Coaches with passion and compassion. That is why they are so successful. Piper and the other coaches are ice cold. I see no connection with players, no emotion or encouragement. Piper is a good technician but not a great leader.
ZAIDAPUNIOklahomaTennessee
ALYCIAFLORESOklahomaBoise State
ALANNANELSON-THIEDEOklahoma UNLV
OLIVIA RAINSOklahoma Texas Tech
PAIGEKNIGHTOklahoma
KATHERINEVESTALOklahoma Ole Miss
KINSEYKOELTZOWOklahoma GCU
ELIYAH FLORESOklahoma Boise State
ALEXANDRIAWAITMANOklahoma

ALANNANELSON-THIEDEOklahomaUNLV
OLIVIARAINSOklahomaTexas Tech
PAIGEKNIGHTOklahoma
KATHERINEVESTALOklahomaOle Miss
KINSEYKOELTZOWOklahomaGCU
ELIYAHFLORESOklahomaBoise State
9 transfers out of Oklahoma in one year. Minnesota has never had such a big number.

One area where I can be extremely critical of Gopher athletics is that every single other prominent (and I am sure most or all non-prominent) softball program(s) in the country has their current year stats available on their own softball website in a readable form. Not our Gophers. We got nothing for 2022. Our latest website-posted are from 2021. Pathetic.

To check Gopher softball stats I have to go the Big Ten statistics page. No other major program would accept that paltry level of staff support.

One area where I can be extremely critical of Gopher athletics is that every single other prominent (and I am sure most or all non-prominent) softball program(s) in the country has their current year stats available on their own softball website in a readable form. Not our Gophers. We got nothing for 2022. Our latest website-posted are from 2021. Pathetic.

To check Gopher softball stats I have to go the Big Ten statistics page. No other major program would accept that paltry level of staff support.

They're available just not linked to the rest of stats by year and using number twice instead of name

ALANNANELSON-THIEDEOklahomaUNLV
OLIVIARAINSOklahomaTexas Tech
PAIGEKNIGHTOklahoma
KATHERINEVESTALOklahomaOle Miss
KINSEYKOELTZOWOklahomaGCU
ELIYAHFLORESOklahomaBoise State
Don't think any of them had playing time and OU didn't need any of them, reloaded just fine

Drey did great today (I can admit that I didn’t know she had it in her)… but it was still Autumn Pease’s day. I think she had almost 270 pitches today.

As Hrothgar would say, evidence exists that our pitching staff is too thin. But two hard-fought wins today is really nice

Don't think any of them had playing time and OU didn't need any of them, reloaded just fine
I mean, of course that is true. But it can make one cranky when they are told the sky is green when it is blue. Don’t tell me Patti Gasso is so warm-hearted when clearly she can be a cold-blooded killer if it helps her program. She will move athletes along to make way for others in a second, no problem. The evidence is right there.

They're available just not linked to the rest of stats by year and using number twice instead of name
Well this is good… kinda? I mean I still can’t find it by my own navigation because it is not on the stats drop down menu - a logical place for it to be. And the “no names but double numbers” thing is almost as embarrassing as the stats page not existing at all.

An embarrassment of riches
I mean, of course that is true. But it can make one cranky when they are told the sky is green when it is blue. Don’t tell me Patti Gasso is so warm-hearted when clearly she can be a cold-blooded killer if it helps her program. She will move athletes along to make way for others in a second, no problem. The evidence is right there.
You’re right. Gasso was a bad example. But she does show some enthusiasm for the game and her players. I see some of these other coaches encouraging their players and showing some emotion. Piper has none of that.

Drey did great today (I can admit that I didn’t know she had it in her)… but it was still Autumn Pease’s day. I think she had almost 270 pitches today.

As Hrothgar would say, evidence exists that our pitching staff is too thin. But two hard-fought wins today is really nice
Today's games were Gopher softball played with the guts and spirit I've come to love (but which has been missing for a couple of years). Hats off to Autumn; real courage to hang in after that one disastrous inning after saving game 1 earlier. But she can't go on pitching 13 innings a day. Hopefully Leavitt can get stronger.

An embarrassment of riches
Every decent school has players leave regularly. It's just part of a normal process. Playing time isn't what they hoped for, they leave. Fleck tells players his job is to out recruit them each year.

Great wins, and I would add that I don't care how they win.

This one fully on Ritter for not having a third pitcher to put in once Leavitt started unraveling

Top Bottom