#13 Clemson - 30 vs Alabama
#14 Missouri - 8 seed despite 15 losses
#15 Louisiana - 25 vs LSU
#16 LSU - 7 seed despite 19 losses
#18 Tennessee - 9 seed with #22 JMU #25 Liberty
#23 Wichita State - 32
#24 Gophers - 31
#26 Georgia - 21
The 17 through 32 teams (#2 seeds in their regional) always get these weird placements because the NCAA softball selection committee places them based upon: 1. not being in the same conference as the #1 seeds combined with 2. this weird “maximum busing” requirement - so as to avoid air travel costs I assume. It is always this weird way of seating that makes looking at the 17-32 team seating always look irrational every year.

I am beginning to see now why SEC schools got some favorable hosting treatment... their states are workable with the NCAA on COVID public policy as regarding massed events like ballgames. I just don’t know how it is fair to our Gopher ball players if they chose not to get a shot (for the record and my own credibility on this matter... I got my two dose COVID vaccine shots.). I am mad about this.
The 17 through 32 teams (#2 seeds in their regional) always get these weird placements because the NCAA softball selection committee places them based upon: 1. not being in the same conference as the #1 seeds combined with 2. this weird “maximum busing” requirement - so as to avoid air travel costs I assume. It is always this weird way of seating that makes looking at the 17-32 team seating always look irrational every year.
It’s not the “S-Curve”, it’s the “SEC Bias” curve. Having a higher ranking should have meant hosting for Michigan, not a team like Georgia for God’s sake with well over 20 losses. Missouri or Duke aren’t far from Michigan if you want to use geography for some sort of rationale. Sending Michigan to Washington and Minnesota to UCLA makes no geographic sense. Lower seeded Northwestern is fine to go to UCLA or Washington because they didn’t “earn” it by record and losing to both higher Big foes. Washington gets screwed even worse having to play Michigan, and the winner between them having to go to #1 Oklahoma for the Super Regional.

Heather Tarr said it best when she was being interviewed afterwards about the walk out and being disrespected by the committee, saying, "it's par for the course" in regards to the terrible job the selection committee does every year. That is ridiculous. Clearly, an SEC bias (and to be honest, I love watching SEC softball, but LSU is a great example of a seriously overrated SEC team). They should have been very lucky to get a 16 seed or have been a 2nd seed in someone else's region.

Heather Tarr said it best when she was being interviewed afterwards about the walk out and being disrespected by the committee, saying, "it's par for the course" in regards to the terrible job the selection committee does every year. That is ridiculous. Clearly, an SEC bias (and to be honest, I love watching SEC softball, but LSU is a great example of a seriously overrated SEC team). They should have been very lucky to get a 16 seed or have been a 2nd seed in someone else's region.
In both NCAA softball and baseball, various Northern & Western programs occasionally discuss forming their own season beginning later in the winter and continuing later into the spring or early summer. It's strange that this movement is never followed up on.

In both NCAA softball and baseball, various Northern & Western programs occasionally discuss forming their own season beginning later in the winter and continuing later into the spring or early summer. It's strange that this movement is never followed up on.

Weather and seasons are a problem for northern schools vis-a-vis southern schools for college baseball and softball. I live in Tennessee... it is so darn hot in the summer. Playing baseball/softball in the summer heat would be really hard (possibly deadly). So the issue is how do you do an NCAA championship? And when?

I just think the Big Ten schools (and their states high school associations) need to make a major commitment to these sports. College softball is the most popular women’s tournament sport. Put the money into it and try to compete by leaning in to their reality... recruit by saying to teenagers: “if you play college softball in the BIG 10, you will travel the country. If you want to travel the nation, come to the Big Ten.”

Weather and seasons are a problem for northern schools vis-a-vis southern schools for college baseball and softball. I live in Tennessee... it is so darn hot in the summer. Playing baseball/softball in the summer heat would be really hard (possibly deadly). So the issue is how do you do an NCAA championship? And when?

I just think the Big Ten schools (and their states high school associations) need to make a major commitment to these sports. College softball is the most popular women’s tournament sport. Put the money into it and try to compete by leaning in to their reality... recruit by saying to teenagers: “if you play college softball in the BIG 10, you will travel the country. If you want to travel the nation, come to the Big Ten.”
I agree with this. I live in AZ (obviously) and coach an elite level club softball team. We rarely play in Arizona in June, July, and August. We travel to play in national events in other states. However we do play 11+ months of the year, so we have a huge advantage over the northern club teams.

I think the Big Ten did a HUGE disservice to their student athletes in baseball and softball by playing a conference only schedule when most of the rest of the nation found a way to play some non-conference games. They showed little dedication to those sports when they found a way to play non-conference basketball for women and men (for example). The Big Ten basically said that baseball and softball are not as high on the priority list as other sports. Therefore, my athletes will likely not look their direction if any of the other 4 Power 5 conferences come calling.

A lot of the softball players still are playing 18U club ball the summer after freshman year, that's better playing time and experience than extending the college season. North schools need to arrange nonconf invitationals in Florida like big ten was doing or indoor complexes so they can compete for SOS

COVID did NOT create the committee’s unacceptable SEC Bias. It was birthed in 2017 when the Gophers were ranked #1 in the nation (54-3) and didn’t get seeded top 16 to
host a regional.

This years most obvious snubs are Michigan and Washington (PAC 12). And those 2 schools in less favor than SEC teams with losing conference records!

Here’s the litmus test. Does Georgia have a chance to win the NCAA Tiourney? God No. Do Washington (#6 Ranking)? Michigan 36-6? Absolutely.

Who is responsible? Who will advocate? If this was the NCAA Men’s BB Tournament, it would be all over sports TV and someone woul have to answer and explain.

We all thought the Gophers had broken this barrier in 2019 when they were awarded a top seeding and won their way at home vs. LSU to the WCWS.

Gophers being sent to a loaded UCLA this year likely seals their fate, but Michigan has the 1-2 pitching punch that might get it done at Washington…and then at #1 Oklahoma.

It is a COVID year. Next year the ladies will spend the early part of the season down south and out west like always.
Now there's a great recruiting line sure to get all the nations best fired up to go to Big Ten schools!

I live in MN but I grew up in deep southern IL & competed in KY & Tenn. We played baseball or softball all spring & summer in any weather, including over a hundred often & once in a while during snow flurries. Young people well-trained can play in lots of conditions. It's the athletic depts & universities that must wake up from their biases & decide that women athletes deserve fair and equal treatment. In that respect, I wasn't just suggesting adjustments that allow Northern & Western programs to stay in the NCAA but also possibly forming other leagues and panoplies to compete under.

I live in MN but I grew up in deep southern IL & competed in KY & Tenn. We played baseball or softball all spring & summer in any weather, including over a hundred often & once in a while during snow flurries. Young people well-trained can play in lots of conditions. It's the athletic depts & universities that must wake up from their biases & decide that women athletes deserve fair and equal treatment. In that respect, I wasn't just suggesting adjustments that allow Northern & Western programs to stay in the NCAA but also possibly forming other leagues and panoplies to compete under.
This is the key!! Add the Big Ten leadership into that mix as well.

Oklahoma Coach Gasso speaks her mind:

“Some of the matchups throughout the entire tournament are mind boggling, just the worst I think I’ve seen since I’ve been doing this; no rhyme, no reason where you think, ‘OK, it looks like they used strength of schedule here, but they didn’t use strength of schedule with this team,’” started Gasso, who mentioned she was also surprised the committee gave her team the nod at No. 1. “No, it’s mind boggling, and what they did with the PAC-12 is just—I don’t know. It’s just like unjust, unjust. It was all of them, with the exception of Arizona, which is still kind of a surprise to me. The first PAC-12 team that was seeded was UCLA. The next one was Arizona, and they finished fourth in their conference. You put the second place finisher at 16, which is absolutely a disgrace and disrespect to Washington, which creates a challenge for us.

“But it also has Michigan going there, and I thought Michigan earned a host. But because they were in a different setting with their schedule—and I’ve driven by their conference—they got penalized for that. Washington got penalized for losing to two unranked teams. But you know how many teams that are ranked that they did beat? I felt that Arizona State got seeded too low. They should have probably been more in the 12-, 13-spot.

“So, there’s absolute adoration and love for the SEC. I felt that. I definitely felt that, some of it warranted, some of it not. I thought Wichita State coming here is unfair to them. They deserve better.

“So there’s just a lot of things. Like, Clemson going to Alabama is unreal. So I don’t know. It just saddens me that we all put in a hard body of work and some of everybody’s limitations, whether it’s their conference or their university saying, ‘Hey, we don’t have the money to send you here, or we can’t do this or that because of COVID,’ I just felt like there were zero COVID exceptions in all of this. There wasn’t accountability for some of that.

“I don’t know. I don’t know. There are so many conspiracy theories out there, like ESPN’s trying to create headlines and trying to create these [storylines]. Like Oregon going to Texas, come on. Don’t do that. Don’t do that. But they did.

“And I saw it all playing out, and I’m like, ‘This is ludicrous. It is ludicrous.’ So it’s set up for some, not set up for others. And especially some of these teams that have been in the Top 5, Top 10 in the country all year long, and they get hosed like that, not right, not right.”
Glad to see her speak up. The whole process is/has been comical over the years.

Unfortunately, the NCAA doesn't give a rip. In fact, they really don't give a rip about the balance of women's sports when it comes right down to it. The way they conducted the women's tournaments in other sports this academic year shows you how much the big brass over in Indy really care about the welfare and product of women's sports. They don't even try to hide it.

As a result, I wouldn't expect anything to change unless somebody rattles the big-wigs' cages a bit more in coming months.

Glad to see her speak up. The whole process is/has been comical over the years.

Unfortunately, the NCAA doesn't give a rip. In fact, they really don't give a rip about the balance of women's sports when it comes right down to it. The way they conducted the women's tournaments in other sports this academic year shows you how much the big brass over in Indy really care about the welfare and product of women's sports. They don't even try to hide it.

As a result, I wouldn't expect anything to change unless somebody rattles the big-wigs' cages a bit more in coming months.
They really don't care about anything except Men's Basketball.

That's where most of their budget comes from.

To me, it smells of money at some clandestine levels and/or the NCAA committee's general ignorance of the sport of softball.

Oklahoma Coach Gasso speaks her mind:

“Some of the matchups throughout the entire tournament are mind boggling, just the worst I think I’ve seen since I’ve been doing this; no rhyme, no reason where you think, ‘OK, it looks like they used strength of schedule here, but they didn’t use strength of schedule with this team,’” started Gasso, who mentioned she was also surprised the committee gave her team the nod at No. 1. “No, it’s mind boggling, and what they did with the PAC-12 is just—I don’t know. It’s just like unjust, unjust. It was all of them, with the exception of Arizona, which is still kind of a surprise to me. The first PAC-12 team that was seeded was UCLA. The next one was Arizona, and they finished fourth in their conference. You put the second place finisher at 16, which is absolutely a disgrace and disrespect to Washington, which creates a challenge for us.

“But it also has Michigan going there, and I thought Michigan earned a host. But because they were in a different setting with their schedule—and I’ve driven by their conference—they got penalized for that. Washington got penalized for losing to two unranked teams. But you know how many teams that are ranked that they did beat? I felt that Arizona State got seeded too low. They should have probably been more in the 12-, 13-spot.

“So, there’s absolute adoration and love for the SEC. I felt that. I definitely felt that, some of it warranted, some of it not. I thought Wichita State coming here is unfair to them. They deserve better.

“So there’s just a lot of things. Like, Clemson going to Alabama is unreal. So I don’t know. It just saddens me that we all put in a hard body of work and some of everybody’s limitations, whether it’s their conference or their university saying, ‘Hey, we don’t have the money to send you here, or we can’t do this or that because of COVID,’ I just felt like there were zero COVID exceptions in all of this. There wasn’t accountability for some of that.

“I don’t know. I don’t know. There are so many conspiracy theories out there, like ESPN’s trying to create headlines and trying to create these [storylines]. Like Oregon going to Texas, come on. Don’t do that. Don’t do that. But they did.

“And I saw it all playing out, and I’m like, ‘This is ludicrous. It is ludicrous.’ So it’s set up for some, not set up for others. And especially some of these teams that have been in the Top 5, Top 10 in the country all year long, and they get hosed like that, not right, not right.”
Thank you for posting this! Patty Gasso is a class act. As the #1 overall seed to be saying this proves the ridiculousness of it all, and the SEC Bias of the committee. Kudos to her for standing up for what is right and wrong with the entire process.

A couple things:

1. The number one thing to know about sports: it’s entertainment! People think it is pure or something. That’s utter hogwash. It’s the “entertaining” piece that brings in the money that makes everything in this life (as money is our society’s way to value everything) go. So, of course, Oregon and Texas were going to be matched up. Of course they need to create storylines to add drama to attract eyeballs - they are not just going to leave it to the happenstance of the play on the field to do that. Leaving it to happenstance of the play of 20 year olds is too financially risky.

2. I do believe Washington especially and the PAC in general got hosed. I believe LSU specifically and the SEC in general got a good deal in this all. But man, the SEC teams are good. That is obvious. But as importantly, their states’ health departments are open for massed events so that people and visitors can have fun. Again, the entertainment thing. It is the fans in the stands that drive additional energy to the game.

Teams with fans that are complaining are just going to have to play well and win some games. My bet is... some of them will, and that will be fun... and entertaining.

A couple things:

1. The number one thing to know about sports: it’s entertainment! People think it is pure or something. That’s utter hogwash. It’s the “entertaining” piece that brings in the money that makes everything in this life (as money is our society’s way to value everything) go. So, of course, Oregon and Texas were going to be matched up. Of course they need to create storylines to add drama to attract eyeballs - they are not just going to leave it to the happenstance of the play on the field to do that. Leaving it to happenstance of the play of 20 year olds is too financially risky.

2. I do believe Washington especially and the PAC in general got hosed. I believe LSU specifically and the SEC in general got a good deal in this all. But man, the SEC teams are good. That is obvious. But as importantly, their states’ health departments are open for massed events so that people and visitors can have fun. Again, the entertainment thing. It is the fans in the stands that drive additional energy to the game.

Teams with fans that are complaining are just going to have to play well and win some games. My bet is... some of them will, and that will be fun... and entertaining.
I understand what you are saying about creating drama and match ups to drive more fans to increase revenues, however, that does a HUGE disservice to the hard work these student athletes and coaching staffs have invested. Plus, I would argue that you are not actually drawing more fan interest but diminishing it. It doesn't take a casual fan long to realize that this process is skewed toward the SEC. That takes away a level of legitimacy to the entire sport and undermines it's integrity. That relegates a sport to second class. Softball is already one of the fastest growing sports in the country by participation and following. It doesn't need help to grow or get more eyeballs, the coaches and players have taken care of that by upping the level of competition on the field.

The game is fast, fun, and played in a shorter time frame than baseball. Baseball is losing fans to fastpitch, and I am in that camp. I have always been a huge baseball fan, but who wants to watch everyone strikeout for four hours with 3 homers? Sorry, but that is boring.

Thank you, Patty Gasso, for continuing to be a class act and speaking up for your sport and the thousands of players that deserve better!

I understand what you are saying about creating drama and match ups to drive more fans to increase revenues, however, that does a HUGE disservice to the hard work these student athletes and coaching staffs have invested. Plus, I would argue that you are not actually drawing more fan interest but diminishing it. It doesn't take a casual fan long to realize that this process is skewed toward the SEC. That takes away a level of legitimacy to the entire sport and undermines it's integrity. That relegates a sport to second class. Softball is already one of the fastest growing sports in the country by participation and following. It doesn't need help to grow or get more eyeballs, the coaches and players have taken care of that by upping the level of competition on the field.

The game is fast, fun, and played in a shorter time frame than baseball. Baseball is losing fans to fastpitch, and I am in that camp. I have always been a huge baseball fan, but who wants to watch everyone strikeout for four hours with 3 homers? Sorry, but that is boring.

Thank you, Patty Gasso, for continuing to be a class act and speaking up for your sport and the thousands of players that deserve better!
Agree with you. And remember, Women’s softball should not be doing anything different from other NCAA sports, men or women. I disagree with the poster about seeding to “entertainment” vs what has been earned. If all things are equal, ok fine. But far too many strange and off seedlings that don’t parallel rankings, eye test, or records.

I don't know if it's unjust to send MN to the UCLA regional, but not hopeful. It would be great if they can win a couple and get over the 30-win mark. The Gophers 2021 are capable of beating some of the best on given occasions (NW) but also losing games to some of the worst (as has happened a few too many times). We can hope for the best.

I don't know if it's unjust to send MN to the UCLA regional, but not hopeful. It would be great if they can win a couple and get over the 30-win mark. The Gophers 2021 are capable of beating some of the best on given occasions (NW) but also losing games to some of the worst (as has happened a few too many times). We can hope for the best.
I’m hoping for two or more Gopher wins this weekend and zero “run-rule” losses. That would make for a really good, maybe weekend... and softball year.

Watching NW (Big 10 3rd seed) play host team Kentucky today, it was obvious to me Kentucky is not in the same class as Michigan. No way should they be hosting. NW should have won the game or at least taken the game to extra innings. Home plate umpire GAVE Kentucky a free run when he called catcher interference on a clean throw to the plate which simply beat the runner and the runner was tagged out. One of the worst calls I have ever seen. Is there now SEC Bias in the umpires too? Just terrible.

Watching NW (Big 10 3rd seed) play host team Kentucky today, it was obvious to me Kentucky is not in the same class as Michigan. No way should they be hosting. NW should have won the game or at least taken the game to extra innings. Home plate umpire GAVE Kentucky a free run when he called catcher interference on a clean throw to the plate which simply beat the runner and the runner was tagged out. One of the worst calls I have ever seen. Is there now SEC Bias in the umpires too? Just terrible.
You didn't see MN vs. Alabama at Alabama in 2017?

Makes zero sense that stadium is effectively empty when other schools are full and world series will be

Makes zero sense that stadium is effectively empty when other schools are full and world series will be
Of course it doesn’t make any sense. It’s California... and I received a graduate degree there and have some personal experience with the state (back when it was less crazy... but still a little crazy).

FYI....Watching the game FREE on my ESPN App on my ROKU. I have Xfinity for my Internet Service and they are providing access to this game for me to watch on ESPN3. You can watch all games on ESPN3 FREE if you have Xfinity Internet Service.

Top Bottom