Gopher softball 2021

Exactly, use your bench. Play the players that have been sitting there all season. Why not have our big HR threat off the bench try to hit a grand slam there?
We've got 7 players that have basically no playing time this year, can't blame any of them if they decide to transfer

Cannot say for sure, but I wonder if leaving Brandt in at 9th batter, they are hoping she will walk for the top of our lineup to advance her.

Think she has had more success at the plate by walking.

Unfortunately, it appears the allowing of Seniors to return has not done justice to all of them. Sure Fiser is not happy with the season she is having.

By the way, is Pease injured and not pitching today at all?

Wait... I don’t think the Super Seniors are going to be so dissatisfied with this season at all. They had a lot more wins than losses, finished second in the Big Ten, and got another year of education for their effort. They are presently ranked in the Top 25 of 292 D1 teams!

I bet they had a very enjoyable last 10 months and will not regret their choice to return at all.

I was concerned about the strikeouts earlier in the year against weaker pitching, but yesterday the strike zone was EXTREMELY GENEROUS, especially for the lefty pitcher throwing to the outside on a lefty batter! In addition, the second time through the order the team made adjustments and did a much better job of putting the ball in play.
For some reason softball umpires tend to calls strikes on almoat any pitches up to six inches off the inside corner to rt handed hitters (outside corner to lft handed hitters). But they're much stricker on calls off the other outside corner (to rt handed hitters). I don't think I'm imagining this. What shoulder of the catcher do they look over, right or left?

For some reason softball umpires tend to calls strikes on almoat any pitches up to six inches off the inside corner to rt handed hitters (outside corner to lft handed hitters). But they're much stricker on calls off the other outside corner (to rt handed hitters). I don't think I'm imagining this. What shoulder of the catcher do they look over, right or left?
Except last night (Friday Night); where the ump was extremely generous (6 inches off the outside of the plate “generous”) to right handed batters.

By the way, I am shocked and disappointed that the. gophers have lost all three of these games. I didn’t expect it... I am sure now that I should have expected it , but I didn’t.

Except last night (Friday Night); where the ump was extremely generous (6 inches off the outside of the plate “generous”) to right handed batters.

By the way, I am shocked and disappointed that the. gophers have lost all three of these games. I didn’t expect it... I am sure now that I should have expected it , but I didn’t.
The Gophers hadn't played a game for 2 weeks and it showed; they didn't show up this weekend, as the saying goes, and it shocks us all. These games would've been winnable for a team that was prepared.
One thing I take from the 3 games is the old axiom: Good pitching always beats good hitting; with the Fiser of 2019 Friday's game would have gone scoreless into extras. Another thing is the BTN Recalls of the Gophers in 2014 & 2016; those Gophers teams came ready to make things happen.

I wondered about the layoff as well. Some high impact sports it's probably an advantage. Not so much a sport like softball or baseball.
And Michigan does have an excellent 1-2 punch in pitchers. In their Wednesday game with Michigan State Storako struck out 22 batters ( in 9 innings), a school record.

I don't know how it compares with previous years, but the Gophers do take a lot of pitches. They have 145 walks this year. The next highest among Big Ten teams is Nebraska's 106, and those are the only two teams with more than 100. Michigan, the league leader in batting average, has been issued only 76 walks.

Once again with Fiser and once again setting a bad tone with early run. What point are they trying to make here?

While I can appreciate their fighting back today. I personally wouldn't be too celebratory since getting my a** handed to me the last 3 games and losing the conf title in the process. Just be focused, angry, play hard with something to prove.

Last edited:

They look relaxed too. Nothing much to play for at this point for them. Why can't our Gophers look this fired up every time there is something to fight for?

Yeah, at least something positive for the seniors on this day. Hopefully all the bench players get playing time next wknd.

That made me feel better. It was the power differential - that we were on the wrong side of - in those first three games that I just didn’t understand and quite frankly, messed with my expectations about this team. Today made me feel as though I wasn’t crazy in thinking the 2021 Gophers are a pretty darn good team.

To see Partain, DenHartog, and Strelow (and Kemmetmueller for that matter) really mash those Storako pitches made me feel a lot better.

I bet those Gopher players, all of them, really enjoyed that game.

Is there a replay that those who missed the game can see? Anybody know?

They look relaxed too. Nothing much to play for at this point for them. Why can't our Gophers look this fired up every time there is something to fight for?
Good question. It hasn't always been so.

Small consolation, but at least in the D1Softball poll, the one that typically comes out first each week, the three out of four losses to Michigan didn't hurt the Gophers. They remain at #19, with Michigan jumping over them, moving from #21 to #18.

Many times I have written that in my opinion Gopher softball is all about the Big Ten - all that NCAA stuff at the end of the year is just Gravy. Obviously I would have preferred the Gophers won the B1G this year... but a strong second place to Michigan is not too bad at all considering.

Considering what? I watched the 2014 and 2016 video reply on the BTN this weekend and I was reminded that since 2017 (the last time we beat Michigan in the regular season race) we have prematurely lost Jess Allister, Jessica Merchent, Kendyl Lindaman, Hope Brandner, Jamie Trachsel and Katie Reitkovich from our roster and coaching staff.

Have Michigan’s super seniors had to deal with any significant coaching or star player losses at all? And yet, for every 4 games the Gophrs played this year, they will have won about 3 of them.

Not bad at all! Go Gophers.

Many times I have written that in my opinion Gopher softball is all about the Big Ten - all that NCAA stuff at the end of the year is just Gravy. Obviously I would have preferred the Gophers won the B1G this year... but a strong second place to Michigan is not too bad at all considering.

Considering what? I watched the 2014 and 2016 video reply on the BTN this weekend and I was reminded that since 2017 (the last time we beat Michigan in the regular season race) we have prematurely lost Jess Allister, Jessica Merchent, Kendyl Lindaman, Hope Brandner, Jamie Trachsel and Katie Reitkovich from our roster and coaching staff.

Have Michigan’s super seniors had to deal with any significant coaching or star player losses at all? And yet, for every 4 games the Gophrs played this year, they will have won about 3 of them.

Not bad at all! Go Gophers.
I agree. I started watching Gophers softball in 2014. Have enjoyed their fine rise since then. But there seem to be too many near misses. The Gophers poor showing in the 2015 BIG tournament was regrettable. In 2019 BIG schedule makers essentially gave MI the BIG title. in 2021 the Gophers lost the BIG title by losing games to teams like Maryland, Purdue, Iowa, etc., which was kinda inexcusable. I agree that continuity of MI's coaching staff is the difference, slim though the difference is. Right now those younger coaches like Winn and Richardson need to hit the recruiting road big-time and bring in real elite talent like Lindaman & Brandner to bolster the team. If they don't find such talent, the near misses will continue. I think college coaching is about 10% coaching & 90% recruiting. Let's hope the Gophers can keep improving. They're already pretty darned good.

1. Rachel Garcia, UCLA
  2. Shannon Rhodes, Texas
  3. G Juarez, Texas
  4. Dejah Mulipola, Arizona
  5. Amber Fiser, Minnesota
  6. Jessie Harper, Arizona
  7. Ciara Bryan, Louisiana-Lafayette
  8. Sami Williams, Iowa State
  9. Aliyah Andrews, LSU
  10. Carrie Eberle, Oklahoma State
  11. Alyssa Denham, Arizona
  12. Sis Bates, Washington

First I thought it was really stupendous DenHartog hit a HR off the TOP of the scoreboard yesterday. But now I wonder: Is there a reason someone else who knocks a hole in the wall of a bldg at NW and then sends a ball towering OVER the scoreboard at PSU has had so few at-bats this season? Anyway, here's hoping 1) the MI series taught the Gophers some things, 2) they can get win nr 30 today, and 3) they can peek and put up a good showing in the NCAAs.

First I thought it was really stupendous DenHartog hit a HR off the TOP of the scoreboard yesterday. But now I wonder: Is there a reason someone else who knocks a hole in the wall of a bldg at NW and then sends a ball towering OVER the scoreboard at PSU has had so few at-bats this season? Anyway, here's hoping 1) the MI series taught the Gophers some things, 2) they can get win nr 30 today, and 3) they can peek and put up a good showing in the NCAAs.

Clearly a primary job of the coaches today, next week, and certainly next year is to get Cox a lot more at bats. As you all know, I am a believer in Chloe Evans’ power hitting potential as well (Evans seems relatively more difficult for pitchers to strike out), so I would prefer more Cox AB’s don’t come at Evans’ expense; but to be clear, however it can be done should be done. Cox has two career hits and two amazingly powerful home runs.

PSU's celebration makes for good TV. They are the worst team in the B1G and they had the potential at that point in the game and eventually did beat the 2nd best team so kinda a big deal for them.

Any either public or inside information on the Autumn Pease situation. I didn’t watch the game yesterday but her innings are way down over these past couple weeks. Why?

Any either public or inside information on the Autumn Pease situation. I didn’t watch the game yesterday but her innings are way down over these past couple weeks. Why?
A puzzling team. They had every chance to break today's game open, but apparently not the desire. Sometimes the on-field appearance seems to be one of not caring. They can sweep NW at NW, but turn around and lose games to 2nd division teams & PSU is the worst. When's the last time MI lost to a bottom feeder team? MI's secret to winning the BIG is never losing to teams they should beat. As for the MN coaching decisions, if Pease coudn't pitch today, why not start Dueck? There are more than 2 pitchers on the roster.

This team is very mediocre; have been most of the season. They had a flash of brilliance against Northwestern, but that proved to be a flash in the pan.

They might sneak into the NCAAs (even after crapping the bed against an awful Penn State team today), but even if they do, an early bouncing looks pretty much a certainty. Just isn't the level of performance or focus to do much of anything on the national level imo.

Obviously the Gopher coaches felt that the game today would not impact their seeding... I hope they were right.

They “managed” Jensen by not risking injury to her at all. I hope they “managed” Pease to avoid overstrain on her arm; as opposed to an underlying injury.

Would it be nice to play a big number of second stringers and still win against Conference teams? Of course. But alas... parity.

Next year will be something different for sure. I am a little worried. But until then we have just a few more games with Partain (what a player!) and Fiser and Kemmetmueller, Brandt and Gill. So we might as well enjoy next week as entertainment the best we can.

Top Bottom