My revised guess at what the team will look like on game one of 2021:

Partain - 2b (backed up by Strelow)
Jensen -CF
DenHartog - LF
Kinch or Evans - C (I’m being hopeful)
Hansen - 1b (Pushed by Ehlke)
Strelow - DH (Pushed by Cox/Costa)
Kemmetmueller - 3b
Jones - RF (Pushed by VanDerHeide/Denson)
Brandt - SS (Pushed by Beckstrom)

P - Fiser, Pease, Hollifield, Dueck, Jones

And all that guesswork gets thrown out the window based upon who performs in 2021 games.

Two Big questions I have:

1. Who shows the most growth/capability over the next 7 months to demand being in the regular lineup (Cox/Peterson/Dueck/Lindner / Denson/Hollifield/Ceynowa)? Meaning who demonstrates they can touch Fiser and Peace’s pitching?

2. What pitcher/hitters (Dueck/Hollifield/and maybe Jones) are identified to focus only on pitching? Maybe the one that demonstrates the nastiest “out-pitch”. Or, oppositely, the one with the least pop-in-their-bat.

I get the feeling that there will plenty of options to answer your questions considering how big the roster is going to be.

Right now, the only things that I would safely assume is that Fiser is starter No. 1, Pease is starter No. 2, Partain will be at 2b, Kemmetmueller will play 3rd, Brandt will play short and DenHartog will be in LF. I really like Jensen, but she's been banged up a fair amount. I also figure VanderHeide will see plenty of time in RF, at least to start the season.

Kinch is considered a very good prospect at C, so she'll get a lot of looks to start I would expect. Strelow is a future standout hitter imo, so she'll also get plenty of chances in the lineup. Whether she's in the field remains to be seen. Same with Hansen, who has shown some pop in her bat. Ehlke is a big, strong hitter, so if her power can translate to the power 5 level quickly, she'll get some time as well.

Pitching after Amber and Autumn will be very interesting to watch. Would like to think Dueck can spell them after a year of transitioning into the program. But with Hollifield, Jones and Brandt also available, we'll see.

I get the feeling that there will plenty of options to answer your questions considering how big the roster is going to be.

Right now, the only things that I would safely assume is that Fiser is starter No. 1, Pease is starter No. 2, Partain will be at 2b, Kemmetmueller will play 3rd, Brandt will play short and DenHartog will be in LF. I really like Jensen, but she's been banged up a fair amount. I also figure VanderHeide will see plenty of time in RF, at least to start the season.

Kinch is considered a very good prospect at C, so she'll get a lot of looks to start I would expect. Strelow is a future standout hitter imo, so she'll also get plenty of chances in the lineup. Whether she's in the field remains to be seen. Same with Hansen, who has shown some pop in her bat. Ehlke is a big, strong hitter, so if her power can translate to the power 5 level quickly, she'll get some time as well.

Pitching after Amber and Autumn will be very interesting to watch. Would like to think Dueck can spell them after a year of transitioning into the program. But with Hollifield, Jones and Brandt also available, we'll see.

I agree with HolyMan that the biggest threat to our program is the budget Threat. I worked in state government level budget management for years and declining revenue appropriately scares people.

What this effort to think through our lineup, no matter how silly for a fan to do at this stage, tells me that Gopher Softball should be really deep and good In 2021. Coyle must have understood that and was willing to commit the investment to softball to allow all those seniors to stay on, which other programs did not allow. That makes me happy as the U must see softball as a critical foundational stone in what it’s trying to accomplish as an athletic program, and it should... softball is a great sport to watch and follow.

While watching a Gophers fall-ball game 4 years ago, I fell into conversation w/ another spectator. He turned out to be Jessica Allister's uncle, an English prof at St. Olaf. He pointed out that there were some first-year players on the field who "are potential superstars." Among them were Fiser, Partain, & Lindaman. Kemmetmueller was also in that class. I wonder: Do any of the incoming players in 2020-21 deserve that potential superstar status? It would be interesting to hear any opinions.

I'm optimistic that Piper's management style, leading to a less
stressful playing environment, coupled with instruction from two
All American college hitters will have a great effect on our hitters.
In addition, our recruiting network should expand significantly
as Wynn and Richardson have West Coast ties and Wynn is from
Georgia and was a star at Florida State. Overall, I couldn't be happier
with how everything seems to be falling into place.

While watching a Gophers fall-ball game 4 years ago, I fell into conversation w/ another spectator. He turned out to be Jessica Allister's uncle, an English prof at St. Olaf. He pointed out that there were some first-year players on the field who "are potential superstars." Among them were Fiser, Partain, & Lindaman. Kemmetmueller was also in that class. I wonder: Do any of the incoming players in 2020-21 deserve that potential superstar status? It would be interesting to hear any opinions.

Those 2016/2017 Freshman were part of a huge class by number. This class is the biggest numerically since that group. So at least raw numbers would seem to me to at minimum increase the odds of impact players emerging from early on in their careers out of this group of student/athletes.

To be a starter you have to be outstanding at the plate or on the field. The Superstar does both and you can usually see recognize it pretty quickly. I remember seeing DenHartog play when she was 15 or 16 and recognizing immediately that she was something special. The odds are good with a class this size to have one or two superstars in there.
I’ve seen most of the new players play and I would say Kinch has a lot of potential. I don’t think that she will be that power hitter that we need, but she‘s probably the answer at catcher, our biggest need this year, while also contributing at the plate, like Emma did.
Denson has immediate impact potential and fills the need of a quality OF and puts speed on the bases. She should find a spot and/or push Brooke in her first year.
Dueck is a power hitter and a power pitcher. Not quite DenHartog power at bat, not quite Fiser power in the circle, but lots of potential, and in one package. Like she did with Fiser, Piper will need to improve her change up. I see her getting some innings and competing for that #2 spot. Possibly DH if not pitching?
I’ve been following Hollifield for the last year or so, although I haven’t watched her play. Flosoftball and some others have given her some attention, and I hope they’re right. Her HS stats are good but I’m not sure if that translates to Power 5 competition. She plays for Atlanta Vipers-Holbrook, which is a very competitive team, but is their #3-4 pitcher and doesn’t hit much for them. I’m hoping Jamie and Piper recognized something Holbrook hasn’t.
Ehlke has plenty of power. She can crush the ball and makes a lot of good contact. I’ve not seen her against great pitching but definitely potential at the plate. The question is, will there be a place for her on the field? Compete for DH?
Evans is pretty solid all around, but will be hard pressed to compete with Kinch at catcher. She’s very athletic and a competitor, so maybe she can push Kinch and still find a spot.
I’ve seen most of the others play and they are all good picks. Not superstars, in my opinion, but future contributors.

Very helpful information on the younger players and useful to enhance the excitement for 2021.

I am very interested to see if they move to a more risk-taking speed lineup and general gameplan. This would feature more Denson and Van Der Heide in the starting lineup and a higher percentage of steal attempts from Partain/Jensen/DenHartog/Strelow/Brandt and of course Gill when baserunning. Or focus more on the well-driven ball (gaps and over the fence) which could feature more Jones and another sophomore/freshman with pop in the bat.

It seems during the last 5-6 games or so of 2020, for the first time since I started following the Gophers in 2014, they decided they were going to have to gamble more with speed. It seemed effective over those final games as they were struggling a bit before that switch. Maybe they think they won’t have to go with a full-on speed gameplan next year as they may have more power options In 2020 and return to the gameplan of the previous 6 years. We will see.

Just a point: I remember a poster, on some site or other, arguing that Trachsel recruited West Coast players for the Gophers but didn't get the absolute cream of the crop or close to it. I don't know if that's true. If it is, Wynn and Richardson should be able to improve on the caliber of recruits from farther away.

“She plays for Atlanta Vipers-Holbrook, which is a very competitive team, but is their #3-4 pitcher and doesn’t hit much for them. I’m hoping Jamie and Piper recognized something Holbrook hasn’t.”

So I did a little digging on the Atlanta Vipers and am going to have to come to Hollifield’s defense here. She was behind Haley Pittman (Florida Rising Freshman) and Madison Kerpics (Georgia rising Freshman) on the Vipers! Even if she was just a little bit behind those two NationallY ranked stars in club ball, with some development from Piper - which we know she has been known to do before, she could become a very quality starter on a team that will have a few pitchers by the 2022 season.

“She plays for Atlanta Vipers-Holbrook, which is a very competitive team, but is their #3-4 pitcher and doesn’t hit much for them. I’m hoping Jamie and Piper recognized something Holbrook hasn’t.”

So I did a little digging on the Atlanta Vipers and am going to have to come to Hollifield’s defense here. She was behind Haley Pittman (Florida Rising Freshman) and Madison Kerpics (Georgia rising Freshman) on the Vipers! Even if she was just a little bit behind those two NationallY ranked stars in club ball, with some development from Piper - which we know she has been known to do before, she could become a very quality starter on a team that will have a few pitchers by the 2022 season.
Totally agree! She’s obviously a solid recruit and a great player. I’m just saying we shouldn’t undersell our Gophers. We have ranked similarly to Florida and Georgia over the last few years so we want pitchers of that top caliber. Not to say she can’t be, just that she hasn’t been good enough yet to outperform those other top prospects. Hard to be the best if you can’t beat the best.
I was specifically responding to the thread about superstars and specifically needing big bats. There was talk of Hollifield’s hitting and, by the looks of it, she hasn’t done much of that for the Vipers. I hope she’s well and she is a superstar. We need more of them! I’m just reporting what I see.

Jaydee: "I was specifically responding to the thread about superstars and specifically needing big bats....just reporting what I see."
I'm also reporting what I saw. I went to FLA this past spring & saw several Gophers games, also followed others online. It was disheartening to see how passive and punchless the team was at the plate, including even some of the veteran players. Was this because of poor coaching? Injuries? Or lack of talent? This is all IMO, of course (Partain & Denhartog being the exceptions at the plate). To be a top-10 team they need not just good players but some spectacular ones, who will hit with runners on base. I'm hoping the present coaching staff additions can bring in some of those potential superstars.

Jaydee: "I was specifically responding to the thread about superstars and specifically needing big bats....just reporting what I see."
I'm also reporting what I saw. I went to FLA this past spring & saw several Gophers games, also followed others online. It was disheartening to see how passive and punchless the team was at the plate, including even some of the veteran players. Was this because of poor coaching? Injuries? Or lack of talent? This is all IMO, of course (Partain & Denhartog being the exceptions at the plate). To be a top-10 team they need not just good players but some spectacular ones, who will hit with runners on base. I'm hoping the present coaching staff additions can bring in some of those potential superstars.

The Gophers were somewhat unlucky in 2020. Insert Brandner into the lineup and that itself gets you several more non-conference wins and therefore correspondingly fewer losses and ties (she was that impactful of a player). Add an increasingly healthy Jensen into the lineup through the rest of the season and we would have been right where we needed to be, a three way dogfight for the regular season and tournament Big Ten titles, as the favorite with Brandner and as a true toss-up with Michigan even without Brandner.

I do understand that all teams suffer injuries of course, but I believe our roster was especially small in 2020 as result of the Rachel Lowery’s retirement and Burns’ leaving the team in that fall. Given time to analyze the situation, it is logical that our offense was a little weak in Florida without the roster size buffer most teams with 21-23 players have. (I think we had 19 traveling players - one of whom was 17 years old - so count it 18.5... that’s small).

We will not have that tiny roster again in 2021 (24 person roster)... or 2022 (at least 21 I believe based on present commitments) for that matter assuming some terribly unforeseen thing doesn’t happen.

The Gophers were somewhat unlucky in 2020. Insert Brandner into the lineup and that itself gets you several more non-conference wins and therefore correspondingly fewer losses and ties (she was that impactful of a player). Add an increasingly healthy Jensen into the lineup through the rest of the season and we would have been right where we needed to be, a three way dogfight for the regular season and tournament Big Ten titles, as the favorite with Brandner and as a true toss-up with Michigan even without Brandner.

I do understand that all teams suffer injuries of course, but I believe our roster was especially small in 2020 as result of the Rachel Lowery’s retirement and Burns’ leaving the team in that fall. Given time to analyze the situation, it is logical that our offense was a little weak in Florida without the roster size buffer most teams with 21-23 players have. (I think we had 19 traveling players - one of whom was 17 years old - so count it 18.5... that’s small).

We will not have that tiny roster again in 2021 (24 person roster)... or 2022 (at least 21 I believe based on present commitments) for that matter assuming some terribly unforeseen thing doesn’t happen.
Interesting analysis. I can't disagree with any of it. Let's hope for ever better things upcoming. With a great fan base and a solid coaching staff, there's every reason for the Gophers program to keep getting even better in coming years.

Fall roster is up.

link: Gopher softball roster

I think there are wins and there is excitement in that roster. Now if we can just get to an actual season so that those women can show is what they got as a team, that would be nice. I would be SO bummed if something weird happened to our Spring college sports season.

I think there are wins and there is excitement in that roster. Now if we can just get to an actual season so that those women can show is what they got as a team, that would be nice. I would be SO bummed if something weird happened to our Spring college sports season.
Reading through the newcomers' bios shows a lot of good credentials. It's to be wished there's a Hope Brandner-type talent in there somewhere. The Gophers need it in the middle of the hitting order.

I am honestly pretty confident a "4-type" batter can emerge out Freshman Kinch, Ehlke, Evans, or Costa or maybe even Sophomores Jones or Cox.

Now, will they put up Lindaman or even Brandner numbers? Maybe not; those were rare talents. But one or more could be really good and have power hits in a lot of good games.

In addition, Iook are this roster and it could be deeper then those great ‘17 and ‘19 teams... even if lacking the Lindaman/Brandner superstar. Of course, the numbers DenHartog is putting up, she may have a “Slugger-hitting” high-end almost as high as Lindaman and higher than Brandner, which is so special in and of itself.

Sorry, a little off topic. Who is the best club organization in MN? Force, Vortex, Starters, Waves all playing here in Illinois this week. My daughter's team may play them. Wondering for comparison sake.

Sorry, a little off topic. Who is the best club organization in MN? Force, Vortex, Starters, Waves all playing here in Illinois this week. My daughter's team may play them. Wondering for comparison sake.
MN Speed, their 18s won the USSSA national in KC and wasn't even close any of the games. Starters have a bunch of Gophers coaching and running it though - Macken, Finacune, Dwyer, Brandt, and Smyth currently. Speed > A's/Vortex > Force > Magic > Starters > Stars > Waves I'd say. Several of the SD and Illinois clubs likely between A's and Force though

Last edited:

MN Speed, their 18s won the USSSA national in KC and wasn't even close any of the games. Starters have a bunch of Gophers coaching and running it though - Macken, Finacune, Dwyer, Brandt, and Smyth currently. Speed > A's/Vortex > Force > Magic > Starters > Stars > Waves I'd say. Several of the SD and Illinois clubs likely between A's and Force though

If you were there in Kansas City or otherwise have really good contacts as to how the weekend went, who played well for the Speed? Did Beckstrom play?

I'd generally agree with this for the total club level with some gray area (I'd personally flip Vortex for Force and Stars for the Waves from what I've seen). Most, if not all, of those clubs have multiple teams per age group, so it really depends on the specific team.

Thanks all. Might get to play one of them today. My daughter plays 14u, and we're in Peoria at the PGF tournament.

If you were there in Kansas City or otherwise have really good contacts as to how the weekend went, who played well for the Speed? Did Beckstrom play?
I wasn't at KC but Top Tier posted that they won and the brackets are online, combined 68-6 in their 8 games.

He will be missed
Yep would have been great candidate to keep around, but he was stuck in the grad assistant/manager role here it seemed so good jump to get to one of the 2 main assistants

Yep would have been great candidate to keep around, but he was stuck in the grad assistant/manager role here it seemed so good jump to get to one of the 2 main assistants
Good for him. I think Nicole Newman will do well.

Top Bottom