Gopher softball 2021

Sure like that Wynn hiring. Seems like a really good get. Curious what the connection is with Piper. Wynn left, I assume, a pretty good gig.

Sure like that Wynn hiring. Seems like a really good get. Curious what the connection is with Piper. Wynn left, I assume, a pretty good gig.

Piper is well know and respected in the softball community, as you stated Carly did have a good gig at ASU. She is an outstanding addition to the gopher staff. Carly deciding to come over to Minnesota and wanting to coach with piper says alot.

Piper is well know and respected in the softball community, as you stated Carly did have a good gig at ASU. She is an outstanding addition to the gopher staff. Carly deciding to come over to Minnesota and wanting to coach with piper says alot.
I concur. Pure, pure speculation on my part, obviously, but I'm guessing Carly will get a a lot more say so here than at the previous job. (Have a hard time believing the money is better here. Any idea?) Hence my speculation that she gets a lot more of a say here. Regardless, looking forward to Piper's time at the helm.

I concur. Pure, pure speculation on my part, obviously, but I'm guessing Carly will get a a lot more say so here than at the previous job. (Have a hard time believing the money is better here. Any idea?) Hence my speculation that she gets a lot more of a say here. Regardless, looking forward to Piper's time at the helm.

It sure looks like that in a scenario where Ritter elects to retain pitching coach duties. If that is true, and I don’t know if it is, that would suggest that associate coach Wynn would have a lot to do in game management let alone offensive player development outside of game-time.

Obviously, any team’s pitching coach is extremely involved during a game, some may argue a first among equals of assistant coaches, and if Ritter stays pitching coach as well as now being head coach, that will leave a load of other leadership responsibilities to be filled by associate coach Wynn wouldn’t it?

It sure looks like that in a scenario where Ritter elects to retain pitching coach duties. If that is true, and I don’t know if it is, that would suggest that associate coach Wynn would have a lot to do in game management let alone offensive player development outside of game-time.

Obviously, any team’s pitching coach is extremely involved during a game, some may argue a first among equals of assistant coaches, and if Ritter stays pitching coach as well as now being head coach, that will leave a load of other leadership responsibilities to be filled by associate coach Wynn wouldn’t it?
Piper has indicated that she will continue to coach the pitchers. It's the main reason she will not coach either base when the Gophers are on offense. She uses that time to work with her pitchers while they are on the bench.

A good leader surrounds themselves with good people. You hire people that know their job and let them do it. With the assit. Piper has chosen I see just that. I am sure that Carly sees with Piper she will get more say in team development and management. This a good thing.

And I agree with you.

As I have alluded to before, I personally have zero expectations for Brandner’s return. It would be great, but I don’t “expect” it.

I am sure they would like some combination of Ehlke, Costa, and Cox to be able to make contact with college pitching and knock 20-25 balls out of the park next year. And maybe Jones and Hansen can settle in a little more as well to provide more long balls from those two.

To me, the question is how to weight defensive ability at those two critical positions of shortstop and center field. Last year, we thought we needed our best defensive players in those two spots. Maybe the same next year, maybe not.
Rats! Brandner no longer listed on the roster.

It was inevitable.

Things were too “off“ on that topic from the time of the first week of the season where it was announced that she wasn’t traveling to Florida.

It was inevitable.

Things were too “off“ on that topic from the time of the first week of the season where it was announced that she wasn’t traveling to Florida.
All in all, an unusual, secretive situation. Here's wishing her the very best, which is the main thing in the long run.

That's disappointing. I loved her play and swagger. One of my Gopher favorites over the last decade. I don't see her in the transfer tracker yet on JWOS.

That's disappointing. I loved her play and swagger. One of my Gopher favorites over the last decade. I don't see her in the transfer tracker yet on JWOS.
I'm not sure if she is transferring. I think she may be retiring.

I don't think you will see her in the transfer tracker. As classof98goher stated on an earlier post there is a lot going on with Hope outside of school and softball that we do not know. She is a great athlete and person I wish her well.

All of the info on Brandner that it seems we have is consistent with concussion issues.
Was that possible concussion conceivably incurred in a Gopher practice session?

Concussion issues may very well exist for her, I honestly don’t know. But I just didn’t see the Information about that which led to the concussion theory; not saying it doesn’t exist. I was just curious what it was.

Not traveling with the team. Not looking like there is an injury. No speculation of a return date. Not sure whether you want, or if it's right for you, to keep trying to do it or not.

Even when the trauma took place, it could be from a previous time and symptoms returned.

All I was saying is all the vague info I was hearing here about Hope was consistent with concussion issues other players have had.

“Not traveling with the team. Not looking like there is an injury. No speculation of a return date.”

I am sorry but that set of facts could be anything. Why not a serious eating disorder? Emotional breakdown? Pregnancy? Who knows. I just don’t think we know anything and we should leave it at that.

Big time bummer regarding Brandner. ☹

If the rumors are true that she is simply retiring due to injury concerns, I'll just say a quick thank you for coming to Minnesota to play softball (even is if just for a season)!

We all loved watching you play and you provided many unforgettable moments for Gopher softball fans to relish.

Good luck Hope! You'll always hold a special place in the hearts of Gopher softball fans!!!

I hope that the violent rioting and threats of defunding the police in Minneapolis does not effect our student athletes and their parents fear for the safety in all sports going forward.

I feel the same way, although there are a couple of factors to consider in this case.

1. The incident in question took place pretty far from campus.

2. The U has terminated their involvement/relationship with the MPD. And I have a feeling the reason for that termination was to specifically ensure the well-being and safety of the student body and the university community as a whole.

For those reasons, I get the feeling it won't affect student athletes and their parents that much.

At least, that's what I'm hoping...

I feel the same way, although there are a couple of factors to consider in this case.

1. The incident in question took place pretty far from campus.

2. The U has terminated their involvement/relationship with the MPD. And I have a feeling the reason for that termination was to specifically ensure the well-being and safety of the student body and the university community as a whole.

For those reasons, I get the feeling it won't affect student athletes and their parents that much.

At least, that's what I'm hoping...

I understand what you are saying, I am not sure that the out of state athletes and parents know or understand what you are saying. As far as they know the incident, by the news could happened right next to the campus. I am also sure that most are not aware the used MPD nor that they terminated the u involvement/relationship with MPD. (knowing that could work both ways?)

I understand what you are saying, I am not sure that the out of state athletes and parents know or understand what you are saying. As far as they know the incident, by the news could happened right next to the campus. I am also sure that most are not aware the used MPD nor that they terminated the u involvement/relationship with MPD. (knowing that could work both ways?)

What at incredibly unfortunate set of circumstances all around, for Minneapolis and the broader nation. As a softball fanatic, the sooner attention can return to competition on the field, the better for my personal mental health.

I'm sure everyone is very well aware as of now, including student athletes and their parents.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that president Gabel sent an email to the entire campus community detailing the U's decision to terminate their relationship with the MPD. An announcement that major by a public university isn't going to kept behind closed doors. And by extension, the message would be relayed by coaches to prospective recruits and their parents as well.

Top Bottom