Gopher softball 2021

dlw4gophers

Reaction score
We are all disappointed, but I want to thank this team (especially the sr.) for taking this program to this level. I hope there are players in the pipeline that can continue at this level and get us back to Oklahoma City.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Need a fall season to get experience and a couple non conference invitationals for next year

AZGopher8

Reaction score
I was looking forward to that. Piper was guilty of over coaching by bringing in Fiser to “start” the 7th. Better to leave Pease in who was crusing and then bring in Fiser if Pease gives up a couple hits. Fresno hits speed better and just came off a 3-run rally off Garcia. It turned out ok but changing just to change to me made no sense with 7-8-9 coming up.
Completely agree with this!

Sorry for the late comment. Had to get up early for our tournament today.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Michigan 5-1 lead turned into 5-9 and still not out of the inning, error and slow throw by 2B to keep damage going. Bates drag bunt fielded without a throw for 10th

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Our Super Seniors really bridged 2021 for us and gave us a great year. Without Partain, Fiser and others returning, there is no chance at all that this softball year would have yielded this positive of a result (a Sunday loss at legendary Easton stadium to Rachel Garcia). Not a bad way for our Super Seniors to end their great college careers.

4EverAGopher

Reaction score
Sorry, a little late on the posting.....out of town, but caught the game.

Really enjoyed Pease taking control of the game except for one inning

Controversial pitch IMO to Partain with two on for us to tie it up or go ahead. However, she had the right idea with her last at bat....just didn't quite work out for her. Cannot get down on her at all because she has done so much for this team, when needed, in her career as a Gopher.

Absolutely, did not understand the coaching staff's strategy with pitching in the 7th, moving Dray to cleanup and hitting. Yes Dray scored our only run, but her bat was pretty silent during the Championship.

Feel this weekend can only help with Gopher recruiting moving forward. Hanging with UCLA was a great accomplishment for this team.

Super Seniors move on leaving many questions with the remaining roster for next season. They all will be missed.

Last edited:

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Sorry, a little late on the posting.....out of town, but caught the game.

Really enjoyed Pease taking control of the game except for one inning

Controversial pitch IMO to Partain with two on for us to tie it up or go ahead. However, she had the right idea with her last at bat....just didn't quite work out for her. Cannot get down on her at all because she has done so much for this team, when needed, in her career as a Gopher.

Absolutely, did not understand the coaching staff's strategy with pitching in the 7th, moving Dray to cleanup and hitting. Yes Dray scored our only run, but her bat was pretty silent during the Championship.

Feel this weekend can only help with Gopher recruiting moving forward. Hanging with UCLA was a great accomplishment for this team.

Super Seniors move on leaving many questions with the remaining roster for next season. They all will be missed.
Seeing them go marks the end of an era. A new one has to begin.

MRJ

Reaction score
Only got a brief chance to see much of anything during the regional, but I was pleased with how hard they competed, at least on the scoreboard.

Congrats on great careers for the seniors!!! You all certainly made your marks on Gopher softball!!! You all will be missed next year and in the future!!

let'sbeclear

Reaction score
On the online TV schedule site I look at, it shows that ABC will be showing a super-regionals game this Saturday. They will be showing "Oklahoma vs. Washburn." And some people still say the media shows little respect for college softball!

Hrothgar

Reaction score
On the online TV schedule site I look at, it shows that ABC will be showing a super-regionals game this Saturday. They will be showing "Oklahoma vs. Washburn." And some people still say the media shows little respect for college softball!
Well, if you want to get really cynical, which maybe some of us are, you could surmise that the media are owned and run by men, and "real men" don't play women's softball, that's for women. Maybe racism isn't the only thing that's systemic?

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Just watched James Madison beat Missouri 2-1 on a one-hitter. But the home plate umpire did his level best to shamelessly give the game to Missouri, blatantly, and if not worse by design, it seemed. JMU went into the bottom of the 7th with a 2-0 lead. The record will show that the JMU pitcher walked 4 batters in the 7th inning, but in reality two of those walks included pitches that were clear game-ending strikeouts, only to be called balls. The umpire was calling balls on pitches right down the middle of the plate over & over again. No reasonable human could possibly have seen those pitches as balls.

Watching JMU's pitcher, Alexander, an African American, struggle --- and succeed --- at keeping her compusure while being jerked on pitch after pitch made me, being white, think, at least symbolically, what it can feel like being black in our society on a daily basis.

The thought came to me that I hadn't seen umpiring so clearly and purposefully leaning toward cheating since the SEC & Alabama. Then I remembered Missouri is in the SEC. Then it all made sense. Now if someone could make sense of NCAA tournament selection committee decisions.....

Top Bottom