Gopher softball 2021

Just checking in for the first time this season. What happened to Hope Brandner?
speculation. but from following her social media it looks like she's stepped away from the game altogether to deal with some mental health related issues.

speculation. but from following her social media it looks like she's stepped away from the game altogether to deal with some mental health related issues.
If those issues are resolved, which is most vital of course, maybe the present Gophers coaching staff (which seems reasonable) can bring her back to finish a degree and play 1st base in 2022? Why not, in this age of transfers & extended eligibility. But maybe too much time has passed?

That would have been my guess. But, it would be pure speculation on my part.

Just checking in for the first time this season. What happened to Hope Brandner?

Based on what I have seen so far this year out of their current line-up, the Gophers offense sure could stand to bring Brandner out of retirement.

But seriously, we obviously all hope she is doing well and on a path to graduation.

Based on what I have seen so far this year out of their current line-up, the Gophers offense sure could stand to bring Brandner out of retirement.

But seriously, we obviously all hope she is doing well and on a path to graduation.

Arg, I didn’t see the full thread before I posted. Double arg.

Would really help to get a power hitter transfer if there's any local kids that went d2 and are better than that

Would really help to get a power hitter transfer if there's any local kids that went d2 and are better than that
Call me crazy but doesn’t it first make sense to give some players with some good power hitting numbers in high school (Evans, Costa, Ehlke, Jones, Cox, Ceynowa, Peterson, etc.) a chance?

I think this short stop coming in from California, Kayla Chavez, has pop in her bat as well.

All that being said, we need to take them where we can get ‘em. I am pro-transfer if necessary. Just that I don’t see them going over their current likely roster count number next year which looks to be 22.

Carlie hit a home run!!!

GBY

The Gophers may look a lot better offensively with these shorter-distanced fences in Big Ten stadiums as compared to Leesburg Florida. Our team may be desired more as a power club with more people that can reach these traditional college softball park fences.

The Kinch bomb would have been gone in Twins stadium. She has some real power.
After going 0 for her first 17, she's now gone 8 for her next 17, with power. I think she's found her groove.

And the Gophers have pummeled Sickels, who, going into this game, was the Big Ten's leader in ERA at 0.19.

Last edited:

Hitting a pleasant surprise today. Although I've never been impressed with Sickels.

Katie hit two bombs and Kinch's was absolutely smoked. Got some good swings out of Dray and Hansen. Also had an Elle Jensen sighting!

And, of course, Pease was her normal self in the circle.

Well played game all around by the ladies.

Call me crazy but doesn’t it first make sense to give some players with some good power hitting numbers in high school (Evans, Costa, Ehlke, Jones, Cox, Ceynowa, Peterson, etc.) a chance?

I think this short stop coming in from California, Kayla Chavez, has pop in her bat as well.

All that being said, we need to take them where we can get ‘em. I am pro-transfer if necessary. Just that I don’t see them going over their current likely roster count number next year which looks to be 22.
Not sure what the program's lineup rotation plan is for getting underclassmen playing time since only Hansen has broken through

Hitting a pleasant surprise today. Although I've never been impressed with Sickels.
Especially the HRs were astonishing & welcome, but no punch with runners in scoring position, where a couple of simple singles would have made it a run-rule win.

Awesome pitching by Pease and Dueck, and 4 HR is great! When’s the last 4 HR game by the Gophs?
I would have liked to see some other young batters in the mix in the last 2 innings with the win all but guaranteed.

She held Mich. to one run rarlier

This was a critically important statement win. Now obviously they have to back it up on Saturday and Sunday, but the nation needs to see that this is a three team race for the Big Ten championship. And Northwestern and Michigan needs to see that the Gophers are not underdogs in that competition.

I am so greedy. I want a 4-0 weekend. So let’s get some good enough weather to get 3 more games in and I would love to see the bats come out more tomorrow. DenHartog, Drey, and even Partain should have much more to show the Big Ten this weekend.

This was a critically important statement win. Now obviously they have to back it up on Saturday and Sunday, but the nation needs to see that this is a three team race for the Big Ten championship. And Northwestern and Michigan needs to see that the Gophers are not underdogs in that competition.

I am so greedy. I want a 4-0 weekend. So let’s get some good enough weather to get 3 more games in and I would love to see the bats come out more tomorrow. DenHartog, Drey, and even Partain should have much more to show the Big Ten this weekend.
Feel the same way. And we really should have either run ruled them or played more youth at the end.

I wondered: Was using a pinch hitter for DenHartog a kind of wake-up call for her? We can hope for a lights-out Fiser today, and Dueck looks impressive.

I wondered: Was using a pinch hitter for DenHartog a kind of wake-up call for her? We can hope for a lights-out Fiser today, and Dueck looks impressive.
I'd like to think so.

Nat hasn't been hitting this year, pure and simple. She had a chance with two runners in scoring position yesterday and put together a poor at-bat, taking two straight strikes before fouling off three that were clearly balls. She then struck out on a pitch WAY outside the strike zone to end the frame. She hasn't been good this year. Need her to perform better.

It continues to appear no Gopher batters (4-6) want to step up their hitting in the so called "meat" of the lineup.....no matter who the coaches assign in those three positions. Nice they are winning, but those hitting percentages YIKES!!!

As I have written before, this coaching staff sure likes to play their experienced players... and keep their starters in the game until the last out. Let me say that may be one sad consequence of this otherwise pretty engaging, interesting conference-only schedule.

I am sure the pressure (from everyone, especially the fans) is to win games so as to win the Big Ten. In conference games, absent a conference championship tournament, are even more important this year. Win the Big Ten and there is a good chance to host a regional... and all the fun and energy that comes with that. There just is a lot of benefits to winning conference games this year so I am sure the attitude is “why leave anything to chance?”

All that being said, I personally would like to be able to see more underclassmen play. Certainly I would like to see some underclassmen take some strong swings for the fences and I would especially like to see Jones or even Hollifield at pitcher so as to see how the compare to Dueck; to get a glance at what pitching may look like next year in the post-Fiser era.

Oh well, it appears as though it just isn’t in the cards this year. Maybe during that last weekend against Penn State?

Illini making some poor decisions this series along with bad defense. That's the difference

Got to have a hitting team to win certain games....especially if you are not deep in your pitching. Dueck...still lots of ???????.

This team needs 7 more Partains at bat. She makes contact and makes it look so easy. Thank you Hansen for showing up in the sixth.

Still do not understand the strategy of this coaching staff. Hate to say it, but next season appears very rough, with both returning pitchers and many bench players needing so much development.

Exactly. Ca
Got to have a hitting team to win certain games....especially if you are not deep in your pitching. Dueck...still lots of ???????.

This team needs 7 more Partains at bat. She makes contact and makes it look so easy. Thank you Hansen for showing up in the sixth.

Still do not understand the strategy of this coaching staff. Hate to say it, but next season appears very rough, with both returning pitchers and many bench players needing so much development.
Exactly. Can't develop much not playing

Top Bottom