Gopher softball 2021

Lineup said 4:15 start. I turned it on at 4 and it was bottom 2. 0-0 top 3

How is it available on Flo? I can’t find it on my Flo.

But yes, it’s a very humble production on btn+, I’m sure it’s the same.

On Flo, it's under Softball/Spring Games/Sleepy Hollow Field 3

What’s up with Jensen. Don’t see her in the lineup

Somewhat surprised with the batting order. Team pretty much picking up where they left off last season. I know first game of the new season.

Feel for Fiser. So far like last season the poor girl has to work hard for a win with lack of run production.

Announcer can leave a lot to be desired.

Offense needs to be better than this. Period.

Amber hasn't been particularly sharp either, but good enough.

Overall, a very blah start to the season. At this point, just get the win and collect themselves before the second game.

Offense needs to be better than this. Period.

Amber hasn't been particularly sharp either, but good enough.

Overall, a very blah start to the season. At this point, just get the win and collect themselves before the second game.

I was so juiced for the start of the season, and brimming with confidence concerning the quality of the team... this is less impressive than I expected against a team of Maryland’s reputation.

That being said, just get the win and play again 30 minutes later.

I will have to research so as to if Maryland’s starting pitcher has a history of being THAT hard to hit. Was it her or was it us?

I was so juiced for the start of the season, and brimming with confidence concerning the quality of the team... this is less impressive than I expected against a team of Maryland’s reputation.

That being said, just get the win and play again 30 minutes later.

I will have to research so as to if Maryland’s starting pitcher has a history of being THAT hard to hit. Was it her or was it us?
She actually transferred in from Penn after last season and had a really nice run with the Quakers, so it could be a case of not being familiar with her.

Thankfully, like you said, it's just game one and I get the feeling the timing was just off after such a long layoff, especially in the first four innings. The ladies got a bit more settled as the game wore on, but the shear number of strikeouts was unacceptable.

Overall, the approach really needs to improve in between games.

Could see that coming from a mile away. Ladies did absolutely everything wrong they could in the inning to send it to extras. Getting out-thought, out-fought and out-played for the most part. Really poor performance by the ladies for everyone not wearing #13.

Could see that coming from a mile away. Ladies did absolutely everything wrong they could in the inning to send it to extras. Getting out-thought, out-fought and out-played for the most part. Really poor performance by the ladies for everyone not wearing #13.
Well 13 should never have tried to make a play. That run meant nothing.

It was the winning run. But, yes, first things first.
Winning run doesn't mean anything if you retire the batter at the plate with the tying run still at third and two outs, which is what she should have focused on in that instance.

Of course, that’s why I said first things first. But the winning run is not meaningless.
First things first in that case ends the game, so that should have been the sole focus.

Threw it a step too early needed to force the runner to dive back instead of turn back towards second

2-1 Final. Everybody needs to hit the reset button big time after that one...

Well that was entertaining! Which I guess, at bottom, is all that sports is really about from a fans perspective... to be entertained.

All that said, there is room for legitimate concern about the firepower of the lineup and if that lineup can win us a Big Ten title three months from now.

Watching that replay infuriates me. My 14 yr old's team gets an earful when they fall for sucker plays like that.

Been looking forward to finally seeing Pease pitch.

Didn't get a chance last year due to COVID, but from everything I hear, she's quite impressive.

Glad I was not the only one disappointed in that first game.

Did anybody else feel the behind the plate umpire might have been calling a lot of high pitches strikes?

Surprised Partain struggled at the plate.

Yeah, do we already need to be concerned about Jensen not playing second game tonight?

If truly some of these Seniors are the best offensively and defensively at their position then they should be playing. If not, I would like to see some of these Freshman in the lineup moving forward.

Glad I was not the only one disappointed in that first game.

Did anybody else feel the behind the plate umpire might have been calling a lot of high pitches strikes?

Surprised Partain struggled at the plate.

Yeah, do we already need to be concerned about Jensen not playing second game tonight?

If truly some of these Seniors are the best offensively and defensively at their position then they should be playing. If not, I would like to see some of these Freshman in the lineup moving forward.
His zone was moving around all game. Early on, he was calling the corners then stopped as the game went along. I did think a lot of his strike calls were up in the zone overall, but he really tightened up the zone as a whole as the game wore on.

As for Jensen, I'm not sure what her status is. She's barely played the past two years due to injury, so I have no idea what to think.

Looked at the Box Score. Pretty even game in all aspects of it. That includes pitching. Last season we left so many runners on base. No different that first game with 8 left on base.

Our struggle with better pitchers seems to continue. But that is why I asked about the plate umpire and his strike zone. Usually Partain is one of our better batters at reading the pitcher. Even she struggled tonight in that first game.

Let's see if that bats get hotter this game. So far it looks like they are reading this pitcher better.

I expect that in the later games in these two six-game BigTen weekends (Saturday and Sunday), hitters will line up fatigued and back-up pitchers much better, but wow was I expecting more from the hitters than what we have seen so far today.

Kinch catching? Beautiful release and throw to get that runner in the Top of the 6th.

Last edited:

Top Bottom