Gopher Softball 2020

Well, looks like the gloves have come off...:oops:

Yes, the kidding around is pretty much over, as Bill Murray would say.

ComoGopher (I think it was ComoGopher) brought some of this stuff to our attention months ago and he was roundly criticized for "bashing" coach Jamie. It certainly appears that he knew what he was talking about.

Yes, the kidding around is pretty much over, as Bill Murray would say.

ComoGopher (I think it was ComoGopher) brought some of this stuff to our attention months ago and he was roundly criticized for "bashing" coach Jamie. It certainly appears that he knew what he was talking about.
It was indeed Como. Clearly he had better information than many of us..

Reactions: MRJ

Jamie cashed in to the tune of a quarter million a year at Ole Miss. I hope she can learn something from her time here and treat her players better there. Those young softball players at Ole Miss deserve to have a coach who treats her players with dignity and respect. I hope Coyle hires a coach who truly cares about the players. I know it is D1 and wins and losses matter but no player deserves to be lied to, verbally and emotionally abused, and manipulated. I love the U and regardless of wins and losses this move can be positive. Coyle needs to hire the right person. Jamie Trachsel is not someone we want representing our university.

Edit: I applaud Emma Burns for publicly stating what many players suffered through. It is not isolated to Emma Burns or any player who couldn't hack it. Those players are tough and can hack it. They don't deserve to be abused by their coach. Folks have asked me to name specifics. It is not my place to put a player's name out there to give some random fan on a message board a specific example of Jamie's toxic leadership.

Last edited:

I'll still never respect Coyle for how he handled the allegations against the football team a few years ago, but perhaps he's found a backbone if he really ended it by telling Jamie "you should take the Ole Miss offer then"

I'll still never respect Coyle for how he handled the allegations against the football team a few years ago, but perhaps he's found a backbone if he really ended it by telling Jamie "you should take the Ole Miss offer then"
I don't want to bend this thread to the football train-gate since we have 100s of pages on that on the football board and I think I argued with spoofin for about 5 pages.. It was a shitty situation and we ended up with PJ. I think Coyle can turn the softball shitty situation into something positive.

Last edited:

Jamie cashed in to the tune of a quarter million a year at Ole Miss. I hope she can learn something from her time here and treat her players better there. Those young softball players at Ole Miss deserve to have a coach who treats her players with dignity and respect. I hope Coyle hires a coach who truly cares about the players. I know it is D1 and wins and losses matter but no player deserves to be lied to, verbally and emotionally abused, and manipulated. I love the U and regardless of wins and losses this move can be positive. Coyle needs to hire the right person. Jamie Trachsel is not someone we want representing our university.

Edit: I applaud Emma Burns for publicly stating what many players suffered through. It is not isolated to Emma Burns or any player who couldn't hack it. Those players are tough and can hack it. They don't deserve to be abused by their coach. Folks have asked me to name specifics. It is not my place to put a player's name out there to give some random fan on a message board a specific example of Jamie's toxic leadership.
If true, then good riddance.

I hate coaches who verbally abuse players. I think it should be disqualifying to be a coach at the amateur level.

If true, then good riddance.

I hate coaches who verbally abuse players. I think it should be disqualifying to be a coach at the amateur level.

Well, the knives are out. And I am sure that is fair. But at least they all had selection Sunday 2019. They all looked so happy and emotionally fulfilled on that video. It was a beautiful eruption.

And
Well, the knives are out. And I am sure that is fair. But at least they all had selection Sunday 2019. They all looked so happy and emotionally fulfilled on that video. It was a beautiful eruption.

And, honestly, I think everyone can agree that on the field, they were playing at a very high level those last 4 games they played Northwestern, including in the BIG tourney, and their 4 regional games against Georgia, and of course against LSU. That was high level, peak performance type stuff out there.

And their GPA has been record-level awesome, meaning what they were getting on “athlete” side of their responsibilities was not being taken from their “student” side of their responsibilities.

Now on to hopefully less tumultuous times with similar performances?

And

And, honestly, I think everyone can agree that on the field, they were playing at a very high level those last 4 games they played Northwestern, including in the BIG tourney, and their 4 regional games against Georgia, and of course against LSU. That was high level, peak performance type stuff out there.

And their GPA has been record-level awesome, meaning what they were getting on “athlete” side of their responsibilities was not being taken from their “student” side of their responsibilities.

Now on to hopefully less tumultuous times with similar performances?
Arg, “...Including 2 against Georgia...”.

Well, it looks like Trachsel is joining a sh't show at Ole Miss from the sound of this article. If the prior players and parents balked at Mike Smith being tough, why would the Ole Miss pick another disciplinarian to head the show? Odd situation.

Regardless, it's all water under the bridge for me now. Onward to 2021.

I don't want to bend this thread to the football train-gate since we have 100s of pages on that on the football board and I think I argued with spoofin for about 5 pages.. It was a shitty situation and we ended up with PJ. I think Coyle can turn the softball shitty situation into something positive.

Agree. Although, I think this situation is quite a bit different, if only because the softball program has established itself as a year-in, year-out Big 10 contender, has claimed multiple conference tournament titles (along with a regular season title), has advanced to two supers and the college WCWS and has a great home field advantage along with a passionate fan base.

Football still was trying to figure out where they stood in the Big 10 West, much less the entire conference at that point.

In other words, whomever the next coach is will get the benefit of working in a program with a group of players that has an established expectation of winning at a high level.

Hopefully, that'll lead to a really strong hire.

Last edited:

Questionable most recent comment on the FB post. It's okay for a coach to be a hard ass, but there's a point where you've gotta have the players backs on personal issues and she definitely crossed that with Emma, and who knows else.

Had a coach while umping low level fall ball yelling at the kids to pull their heads out of their asses and no constructive anything, can't intervene with that but had to get the site director to watch for a while, no place for anyone like that

No need to violate any confidences, but how could her "style" of people management have made it through the original vetting process? It would seem that someone in the know would have tipped off Coyle that she treated people poorly.

Tangentially, the most bothersome part of Emma's post is the apparent deliberate strategy of Jamie portraying herself as one thing in public and quite differently in private. I know it happens, but there is not much lower in human interaction and leadership.

I'll give Coyle points for acting relatively quickly especially in the context of a successful program. I dock him for missing a huge red flag when he made the original hire.

Good for her. A great player and a great family.
Wow! It took me days to get a new user name so I could respond to this. Decided there was no need to be anonymous. We really appreciate that! We probably know each other, but thank you for the kind words. We really hoped to be Gophers for four years, but I guess sometimes unfortunate circumstances happen. I am happy that Emma is willing to give softball another go. Best of luck Gophers Softball! Come back Coach Merchant! (wishful thinking, I know)

Wow! It took me days to get a new user name so I could respond to this. Decided there was no need to be anonymous. We really appreciate that! We probably know each other, but thank you for the kind words. We really hoped to be Gophers for four years, but I guess sometimes unfortunate circumstances happen. I am happy that Emma is willing to give softball another go. Best of luck Gophers Softball! Come back Coach Merchant! (wishful thinking, I know)

Please send Emma our best and wish her good luck in the future! Bummed she's no longer a Gopher, but completely understand.

We'll all be rooting for her!

Thank you! I'm glad to hear that Emma's discomfort and anxiety have improved enough for her to return to do something she loves!

Please send Emma our best and wish her good luck in the future! Bummed she's no longer a Gopher, but completely understand.

We'll all be rooting for her!
Will do. Thank you!

Reactions: MRJ

I've said Jamie was an @ss with a mean-streak since her first season here and got crucified for it by a few people. Glad the players have the courage to step out and go public with it now; they deserved better. Coaches like her have no place in the industry and around young people IMO.

Speaking for myself, even if I suspected there might be fire behind the smoke regarding the problems with Trachsel's leadership that we were hearing about, it wasn't that easy to just buy it all at face value without some specifics to back it up. I'm not saying it was incumbent on the posters to reveal sources or give the specific anecdotes and events, just that it made it tough to not be skeptical.

She was a new coach and I wanted her to be good and do well so I was inclined to give her some benefit of the doubt.
Well said, and exactly my thoughts on the situation. I certainly understand those who had a closer relationship within the program knowing and being able to have strong opinions. For those of us simply fans outside the program, we only have limited info to go on. Abuses have gone both ways in the past, against players and against coaches.

Speaking as a coach of fastpitch softball, there is no excuse or reason to treat players in a way that creates undue anxiety and stress to the point they need to leave the game to protect themselves. Truly sad.

I trust Coyle will not make the same mistake twice. The whole situation is a serious bummer for a huge Gopher softball fan. Now get a great hire to lead these fine young ladies forward in a way we can all be proud of.

Speaking for myself, even if I suspected there might be fire behind the smoke regarding the problems with Trachsel's leadership that we were hearing about, it wasn't that easy to just buy it all at face value without some specifics to back it up. I'm not saying it was incumbent on the posters to reveal sources or give the specific anecdotes and events, just that it made it tough to not be skeptical.

She was a new coach and I wanted her to be good and do well so I was inclined to give her some benefit of the doubt.

Just one of the difficulties of posting on message boards.

Anybody can come on, make a statement regarding players, coaches, etc and so on without much evidence from which to form an opinion.

When such comments come in the early going of a new coach's tenure, it's really difficult to differentiate between a real problem and simply a new approach. Sometimes, it can be a simple case of miscommunication which can be ironed out as those involved get to know and understand each other better.

When such stories continue for extended periods, it's becomes more and more suspicious.

And that's apparently where we were with Trachsel.

Obviously, there were big problems with Jamie behind the scenes and some posters (to their credit) did sound the alarm bell early.

Like others, I tend to give a coach the benefit of the doubt early on due to implementing a new philosophy and approach.

With that said, it has become obvious a fresh start was needed by everybody.

All this being said, I'm pretty sure the main reason Trachsel is now the Ole Miss coach is because she got a $100,000+ raise for four years....during a potential depression for college sports.

Given Jamie’s hard-nosed approach, good luck with Ole Miss. Apparently a small but vocal number of disgruntled parents and players had a big part in driving the last coach out the door; the most successful coach in program history. She'll need to toe the line.

“Apparently a small but vocal number of disgruntled parents and players had a big part in driving the last coach out the door; the most successful coach in program history. She'll need to toe the line.”

I will always remember this tweet on the topic of intense parental involvement in their softball playing children:

I am not on this Forum as much as some of you. However, when Emma became our starting catcher I do know I was one of those singing her praises at her game at the plate. Loved it from the beginning to the end. Do not recall exactly who we were playing but that throw to second from her knees catching the runner trying to steal second was a thing of beauty. I will remember that forever.

Really glad to hear she has decided to go back to the sport she loves to play.

I was bummed when she left as I am a Stevens HS Raider as well. Good luck to her.

Just one of the difficulties of posting on message boards.

Anybody can come on, make a statement regarding players, coaches, etc and so on without much evidence from which to form an opinion.

When such comments come in the early going of a new coach's tenure, it's really difficult to differentiate between a real problem and simply a new approach. Sometimes, it can be a simple case of miscommunication which can be ironed out as those involved get to know and understand each other better.

When such stories continue for extended periods, it's becomes more and more suspicious.

And that's apparently where we were with Trachsel.

Obviously, there were big problems with Jamie behind the scenes and some posters (to their credit) did sound the alarm bell early.

Like others, I tend to give a coach the benefit of the doubt early on due to implementing a new philosophy and approach.

With that said, it has become obvious a fresh start was needed by everybody.

The posters are told not to talk bad about the program because they “are the program” so they fear retribution. It’s the worst form of manipulation and control .... fear! And to these young ladies who have been taught to sacrifice and put TEAM before self, well the environment is perfect for a predator who thrives on abusing and wielding power! And you wonder WHY posters don’t come forward! Proud of Emma for being brave and speaking her truth! Hope others will do the same.

NCAA really needs to improve player protections during the recruiting process. Last I checked, college sports are still considered amateur sports. These young ladies (and their families) are making significant financial investments to compete in D1 athletics. It’s not unreasonable to have mandatory transparency in annual scholarship allotments, roster depth charts and require program philosophy to help players make informed decisions prior to commitments. This would significantly reduce transfers using the new portal and make for a more enjoyable collegiate experience.

A lot of money for a toxic personality. But the SEC schools have more revenue from the sport and a boatload from football. They have more they can pay. Jamie did a nice job of parlaying one WCWS appearance with a previous coach's players into a nice long term deal somewhere else, especially with the baggage she must travel with.

Odd thing I don't get is that if she is a bad people person, plenty of us are, why would she not surround herself and give responsibility to staff who are? Leadership 101 is surround yourself with people who can do the things you can't.

So the 245K supports Coyles version of her turning down the multi-year offers twice ... because she ALWAYS knew she was going to leave to get the money she wanted! Which also supports why she didn’t care how toxic her personality was or how horrible her recruiting or team management was. She knew she would only be at the U a few years until she could parlay a better gig. SMH -

One thing Jamie is good at ... playing everyone! since Jamie isn’t a good leader she wouldn’t know to surround herself with good people. Jamie likes control!!!! If have ever played for her or had a kid who played for her you would know EXACTLY how true that statement is!

As an observer to my beloved program, from 900 miles to the south of Dinkytown, I guess what I don’t understand reading all these comments is if objectively Trachsel is the tyrant to the extent described, why the hell did Kate Reitcovich Browser leave with her?

Katie is from a coaching family. She is considered by some in the relatively small softball community to be a rising star I think. Why would she attach herself to an emotionally unstable sinking ship. Somebody probably knows. Educate me. Is she just like Trachsel in temperment too?

As an observer to my beloved program, from 900 miles to the south of Dinkytown, I guess what I don’t understand reading all these comments is if objectively Trachsel is the tyrant to the extent described, why the hell did Kate Reitcovich Browser leave with her?

Katie is from a coaching family. She is considered by some in the relatively small softball community to be a rising star I think. Why would she attach herself to an emotionally unstable sinking ship. Somebody probably knows. Educate me. Is she just like Trachsel in temperment too?

Fair question. Her resume is filled with short stops which is understandable at this stage of her career. She clearly sees an SEC job as an upgrade from a B1G job. She may have clicked with Jamie, but she also may be doing this as a career only move, which I could understand.

Top Bottom