Gopher Softball 2020

Holy Man

Reaction score
I slept on it.

What about this theory? Losing Lindaman was the one unforgivable sin that Coyle could not get over. It wasn’t a firing sin. The WCWS, the record GPA, the development of under-recruited players - especially DenHartog but others as well, the hiring of Reitcovich, the stop-loss of an Allister exodus in Summer/Fall 2017, the 2018 Big Ten Tourney championship, the general continued competitiveness of the team were all fine, but the Lindaman transfer was so bad that Coyle would never make a stretch, not any little stretch at all, for Trachsel.

So she asked for a little to compete with another offer and he said “ya better take that other offer.”

I am not adjudicating which one of the two (Coyle v Trachsel) is more right in that scenario. To me it’s close. That Lindaman loss was so terrible. But I am a touch more forgiving than some on that issue because it’s not like she went to Michigan. I mean Florida could not be more different. Anyway, just a theory.

Nice theory after a good night's rest, but I'm not buying it. Very hard for me to imagine a pro-con list like that generating a fire/no rehire for one player's decision, no matter how good she is. Hard to believe anyone who has worked with young adults would allow the decision of one person to torpedo a career. The transfer was brutal but there has to be more to it than that. The fog around her based on this board is she struggled with some of the people skills necessary in that world. A head coach at that level is a PR person whether she likes it or not. Coaching is hard work and requires a set of skills way beyond just knowing the sport.

Pretty clear Coyle didn't want her back. Pretty clear she was blowing sunshine proclaiming her dream job, and by all accounts escaping town without talking to her players. Really bush league. If it's your dream job, you suck it up in a pandemic and financial disaster for the U. If she is your coach, you give her more than a one year extension. A pox on both of their houses. Coyle needs to own the decision and get an outstanding coach, but I don't have much sympathy for Jamie either.

MRJ

Reaction score
Right, let's bring it back to softball.

The bolded was the point of why I said it in the first place. I don't think McCutcheon has any need or even desire to fill up the Gophers with Minnesota players. The rosters the last few years certainly don't reflect that. I think he wants to recruit nationally, go after top ranked classes, and compete for national titles, which will require he continue to grab players from California, Texas, and the great lakes areas.

I don't see why it can't be the same in softball.

The main weakness, as you noted, would be the amount of playing on the home field and the crowds. I don't know what softball attendance looks like nationally, but guessing only a handful of programs in the nation routinely attract over 1000 fans per game.

So if girls could come here to compete for national titles, regardless of the weather or travel, I think they would consider it.

This is all I'm getting at.

I actually think that both Allister and Trachsel have emphasized recruiting nationally (and internationally with respect to Sara G and Kianna Jones) in their times here.

Obviously, its good to get as many really good local players as possible and the program has had quite a few native Minnesotans that have contributed big-time to the program both now and in the recent past.

Sara Moulton, Sam Macken, Maddie Houlihan just to start along with others like Taylor LeMay, Dani Wagner, Paige Palkovich, Syd Fabian and so on all the way to the current group of Katie Kemmetmueller, Carlie Brandt and Nat DenHartog.

On top of that, the U has gotten some really good players from Iowa (Fiser and Lindaman) along with a few contributors from other nearby states (Wisconsin, South Dakota) as well.

Obviously, it comes down to who not only fits Minnesota's profile, but can also continue the trend of getting some good local players while adding others from around the country. I realize that's actually not much of a revelation since basically every coach in every state around the country has the same philosophy.

The bottom line is that the program has become much more of a national brand, so we've got that going for us.

Also, Coyle has demonstrated a decisive edge when it comes to hiring coaches. He seems to excel in that area based on early returns (Fleck, Trachsel and Motzko were quick, decisive hires unlike previous ADs who always seemed to be chasing the hiring process).

I'm anxious to see who Coyle decides on.

MRJ

Reaction score
Another layer to the story with Trachsel.

After her supporters claimed she didn't receive the chance at a contract extension, it's apparently possible she did receive those and simply turned them down. See the link below

Obviously, this could be Coyle protecting his backside in this back-and-forth argument between him and Trachsel. But at least we now have two sides to this story instead of one.

Trachsel rejected two multi-year contract extensions

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Would be curious to know the average softball head coach salaries in the P5 confs.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
To me, there are 2 Gopher softball team puzzles. 1) Who will be the next HC? 2) What happened to Hope Brandner? (From being arguably the best non-pitching player on the team in 2019, she seems, from a MN sports perspective, to have disappeared off the face of the earth.)

dlw4gophers

Reaction score
Would be curious to know the average softball head coach salaries in the P5 confs.
Looked up Hutchins on a Michigan search and it says she is getting $539,000.
Wisconsin $126,250. Those are the only two I looked up

newtogopherland

Reaction score
Jamie had compliance issues starting her first year on campus. Her toxic personality and coaching style ran off the hitting coach from NM State after one year and then the All-American catcher. I am betting the AD had player & parent complaints piling up .... generally when a coach is sent packing it’s because they have become a liability.

rugger14

Reaction score
Nobody bit on commenting on my Lindaman theory from this morning (see above). Probably smart. It would only stir bad feelings.

I am going to try to pivot to the future and focus on the 2021 team and message board going forward.

Because it is not accurate. Others have posted that there was a near mutiny after Jamie's first season and Coyle mediated a team meeting. To prevent multiple transfers, Jamie was supposed to change how she treated the players. She failed to do so basically flipping the bird to her boss...

MRJ

Reaction score
Jamie had compliance issues starting her first year on campus. Her toxic personality and coaching style ran off the hitting coach from NM State after one year and then the All-American catcher. I am betting the AD had player & parent complaints piling up .... generally when a coach is sent packing it’s because they have become a liability.

Can't confirm any of this since I'm hardly an insider, but I can state with certainty that the Facebook thread regarding Trachsel's departure has comments from both current player parents and former player parents and their comments are, ahem, not complimentary.

In other words, it would seem she had plenty of issues behind the scenes...Have a feeling there is a lot more to this story.

newtogopherland

Reaction score
I am not a huge fan of Jamie's, but I think that is a bit unfair. Her contract was up in May. She was offered a 1 (one!) year extension. Can you imagine Fleck's contract about to expire and we only offer him an additional year? She has the right to seek more than a one year deal for her own financial security. With her record at MN I am sure she expected a long term deal. A one year offer is pretty insulting and is tantamount to forcing her out the door.
According to this article she was offered a multi-year extension TWICE and decline TWICE. Don’t buy into the “poor Jamie” story at all ...

Holy Man

Reaction score
Because it is not accurate. Others have posted that there was a near mutiny after Jamie's first season and Coyle mediated a team meeting. To prevent multiple transfers, Jamie was supposed to change how she treated the players. She failed to do so basically flipping the bird to her boss...

Is this the softball version of "we cooled on her"? :)

Holy Man

Reaction score
Her salary at Ole Miss is 245K for 4 years. I don't think there is a way Coyle could match that.

A lot of money for a toxic personality. But the SEC schools have more revenue from the sport and a boatload from football. They have more they can pay. Jamie did a nice job of parlaying one WCWS appearance with a previous coach's players into a nice long term deal somewhere else, especially with the baggage she must travel with.

Odd thing I don't get is that if she is a bad people person, plenty of us are, why would she not surround herself and give responsibility to staff who are? Leadership 101 is surround yourself with people who can do the things you can't.

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Mississippi State has baseball history and a really nice stadium. Got to be one of the nicest in college baseball.

Don't know how they rank in softball, comparatively. But I assume they're pretty good there too.

But point is, I'm sure that U of Miss wants to try to beat State in as many sports as they can. So doesn't surprise me that they'd throw relatively gobs of money at someone in a "obscure" sport.

MNsoftballfan

Reaction score
According to this article she was offered a multi-year extension TWICE and decline TWICE. Don’t buy into the “poor Jamie” story at all ...

That certainly makes more sense. And the more I read the more I am happy about the change. Hoping Ritter gets the job.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
Ole Miss isn't too bad, Kaitlin Lee was great for her time there. Pitching coach at Samford now, would be a good hire if Jamie brings her back

MNsoftballfan

Reaction score
Well, looks like the gloves have come off...:oops:

Yes, the kidding around is pretty much over, as Bill Murray would say.

ComoGopher (I think it was ComoGopher) brought some of this stuff to our attention months ago and he was roundly criticized for "bashing" coach Jamie. It certainly appears that he knew what he was talking about.

Gopher68

Reaction score
Yes, the kidding around is pretty much over, as Bill Murray would say.

ComoGopher (I think it was ComoGopher) brought some of this stuff to our attention months ago and he was roundly criticized for "bashing" coach Jamie. It certainly appears that he knew what he was talking about.
It was indeed Como. Clearly he had better information than many of us..

Reactions: MRJ

ComoGopher

Reaction score
Jamie cashed in to the tune of a quarter million a year at Ole Miss. I hope she can learn something from her time here and treat her players better there. Those young softball players at Ole Miss deserve to have a coach who treats her players with dignity and respect. I hope Coyle hires a coach who truly cares about the players. I know it is D1 and wins and losses matter but no player deserves to be lied to, verbally and emotionally abused, and manipulated. I love the U and regardless of wins and losses this move can be positive. Coyle needs to hire the right person. Jamie Trachsel is not someone we want representing our university.

Edit: I applaud Emma Burns for publicly stating what many players suffered through. It is not isolated to Emma Burns or any player who couldn't hack it. Those players are tough and can hack it. They don't deserve to be abused by their coach. Folks have asked me to name specifics. It is not my place to put a player's name out there to give some random fan on a message board a specific example of Jamie's toxic leadership.

Last edited:

rowdaboat

Reaction score
I'll still never respect Coyle for how he handled the allegations against the football team a few years ago, but perhaps he's found a backbone if he really ended it by telling Jamie "you should take the Ole Miss offer then"

rugger14

Reaction score
I'll still never respect Coyle for how he handled the allegations against the football team a few years ago, but perhaps he's found a backbone if he really ended it by telling Jamie "you should take the Ole Miss offer then"
I don't want to bend this thread to the football train-gate since we have 100s of pages on that on the football board and I think I argued with spoofin for about 5 pages.. It was a shitty situation and we ended up with PJ. I think Coyle can turn the softball shitty situation into something positive.

Last edited:

MplsGopher

Reaction score
Jamie cashed in to the tune of a quarter million a year at Ole Miss. I hope she can learn something from her time here and treat her players better there. Those young softball players at Ole Miss deserve to have a coach who treats her players with dignity and respect. I hope Coyle hires a coach who truly cares about the players. I know it is D1 and wins and losses matter but no player deserves to be lied to, verbally and emotionally abused, and manipulated. I love the U and regardless of wins and losses this move can be positive. Coyle needs to hire the right person. Jamie Trachsel is not someone we want representing our university.

Edit: I applaud Emma Burns for publicly stating what many players suffered through. It is not isolated to Emma Burns or any player who couldn't hack it. Those players are tough and can hack it. They don't deserve to be abused by their coach. Folks have asked me to name specifics. It is not my place to put a player's name out there to give some random fan on a message board a specific example of Jamie's toxic leadership.
If true, then good riddance.

I hate coaches who verbally abuse players. I think it should be disqualifying to be a coach at the amateur level.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
If true, then good riddance.

I hate coaches who verbally abuse players. I think it should be disqualifying to be a coach at the amateur level.

Well, the knives are out. And I am sure that is fair. But at least they all had selection Sunday 2019. They all looked so happy and emotionally fulfilled on that video. It was a beautiful eruption.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
And
Well, the knives are out. And I am sure that is fair. But at least they all had selection Sunday 2019. They all looked so happy and emotionally fulfilled on that video. It was a beautiful eruption.

And, honestly, I think everyone can agree that on the field, they were playing at a very high level those last 4 games they played Northwestern, including in the BIG tourney, and their 4 regional games against Georgia, and of course against LSU. That was high level, peak performance type stuff out there.

And their GPA has been record-level awesome, meaning what they were getting on “athlete” side of their responsibilities was not being taken from their “student” side of their responsibilities.

Now on to hopefully less tumultuous times with similar performances?

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
And

And, honestly, I think everyone can agree that on the field, they were playing at a very high level those last 4 games they played Northwestern, including in the BIG tourney, and their 4 regional games against Georgia, and of course against LSU. That was high level, peak performance type stuff out there.

And their GPA has been record-level awesome, meaning what they were getting on “athlete” side of their responsibilities was not being taken from their “student” side of their responsibilities.

Now on to hopefully less tumultuous times with similar performances?
Arg, “...Including 2 against Georgia...”.

Panthadad2

Reaction score
Well, it looks like Trachsel is joining a sh't show at Ole Miss from the sound of this article. If the prior players and parents balked at Mike Smith being tough, why would the Ole Miss pick another disciplinarian to head the show? Odd situation.

Regardless, it's all water under the bridge for me now. Onward to 2021.

MRJ

Reaction score
I don't want to bend this thread to the football train-gate since we have 100s of pages on that on the football board and I think I argued with spoofin for about 5 pages.. It was a shitty situation and we ended up with PJ. I think Coyle can turn the softball shitty situation into something positive.

Agree. Although, I think this situation is quite a bit different, if only because the softball program has established itself as a year-in, year-out Big 10 contender, has claimed multiple conference tournament titles (along with a regular season title), has advanced to two supers and the college WCWS and has a great home field advantage along with a passionate fan base.

Football still was trying to figure out where they stood in the Big 10 West, much less the entire conference at that point.

In other words, whomever the next coach is will get the benefit of working in a program with a group of players that has an established expectation of winning at a high level.

Hopefully, that'll lead to a really strong hire.

Last edited:

Top Bottom