Gopher Softball 2020

"Take a longer sun-filled break to soften the blow of getting screwed by the NCAA." Panthadad2
Miraculously, for once the NCAA seems to have screwed everybody equally. o_O

Flo Sports reports that NCAA is discussing extending eligibility for 2020 spring sports athletes into next year & allowing expanded roster limits. It would be great to have this year's roster (with its present seniors & Brandner) + next year's recruits. Quite a batting order & pitching staff. What are the odds it'll happen?

Flo Sports reports that NCAA is discussing extending eligibility for 2020 spring sports athletes into next year & allowing expanded roster limits. It would be great to have this year's roster (with its present seniors & Brandner) + next year's recruits. Quite a batting order & pitching staff. What are the odds it'll happen?
Relatively low. Good article in the strib today about this and the baseball team. Talks about the kids having to pay most of their way through college as the spring sports usually offer partial or no scholarship money. Do the kids want to come back and go further into debt (potentially)? It’s a unique situation but credit to the NCAA for giving the kids the opportunity.

Downside: I have to be tortured by Kendyl Lindaman’s HR, RBI, and On Base Percentage stats for yet another tortuous year. I am sure she will come back to Florida for another Women’s college World Series run year while all of our senior players will start their real lives in the paid economy. Argh.

Downside: I have to be tortured by Kendyl Lindaman’s HR, RBI, and On Base Percentage stats for yet another tortuous year. I am sure she will come back to Florida for another Women’s college World Series run year while all of our senior players will start their real lives in the paid economy. Argh.
I am happy for her. She found the right program for her. The kids only get 4-5 years there is no need to be miserable. I would love to have her on our team but she clashed with Jamie. Oh Well.

Honestly why does this forum continue to focus on Kendyl Lindaman? Move on. She did. It is so petty to continue to rip on a college athlete that is 21-22 years old. She isn’t the cause of anything that is happening with the gophers today. She went to Minnesota and they changed coaches and it didn’t work out for her. That is not her fault or anyone’s fault.

I doubt anyone on this forum really would have an issue with her as a person and I am sure very few people on here have ever met her in person.

Honestly why does this forum continue to focus on Kendyl Lindaman? Move on. She did. It is so petty to continue to rip on a college athlete that is 21-22 years old. She isn’t the cause of anything that is happening with the gophers today. She went to Minnesota and they changed coaches and it didn’t work out for her. That is not her fault or anyone’s fault.

I doubt anyone on this forum really would have an issue with her as a person and I am sure very few people on here have ever met her in person.

Oh, Alexander the Great led a vast army to conquer the majority of world civilization by the time he was 21/22. Joan of Arc was dead and ashes for several years before she would have been 21/22. We as a society baby our twentysomethings WAY to much! You are not much of a grudge guy GrudgeGuy.

Yes, I do occasionally check her stats after a weekend of softball and yes, I am a little sad that she left the Gophers but I mean, it is only softball, and this is only a little forum for sports fans to write silly posts. Finally, you are correct in as much I probably never came within hundreds of miles of the woman and, on a human level, I wish for her a fulfilling and emotionally balanced life. I honestly don’t think I am THAT much of a grudge guy either.

Finally, go gophers!

Oh, Alexander the Great led a vast army to conquer the majority of world civilization by the time he was 21/22. Joan of Arc was dead and ashes for several years before she would have been 21/22. We as a society baby our twentysomethings WAY to much! You are not much of a grudge guy GrudgeGuy.

Yes, I do occasionally check her stats after a weekend of softball and yes, I am a little sad that she left the Gophers but I mean, it is only softball, and this is only a little forum for sports fans to write silly posts. Finally, you are correct in as much I probably never came within hundreds of miles of the woman and, on a human level, I wish for her a fulfilling and emotionally balanced life. I honestly don’t think I am THAT much of a grudge guy either.

Finally, go gophers!
Class of 98 - that post was truly not directed at you. I think your post are very subjective and informed from what I have seen. Seems like you respect ALL gophers players (current and former) from what I have read on this forum.

Class of 98 - that post was truly not directed at you. I think your post are very subjective and informed from what I have seen. Seems like you respect ALL gophers players (current and former) from what I have read on this forum.
You did quote 98's post when you posted! ?

I think allowing every athlete an extra year is kind of a oxymoron because we tell these kids that they are students first. They should have been pushed to graduate and move forward in life. The athlete part was a bonus to enjoy another aspect of school. We all go through life and things happen, school was not taken away. Just realistic but this will have longer effects on so many others than 1 partial year for a senior who should have been planning real life and graduating.

I think allowing every athlete an extra year is kind of a oxymoron because we tell these kids that they are students first. They should have been pushed to graduate and move forward in life. The athlete part was a bonus to enjoy another aspect of school. We all go through life and things happen, school was not taken away. Just realistic but this will have longer effects on so many others than 1 partial year for a senior who should have been planning real life and graduating.

Realistically, I'm skeptical that high numbers of seniors will come back for softball. Unless the student athlete already planned on doing grad school or finishing out unfinished credits, the cost for attending the extra year of school, or the opportunity cost of passing up making a wage in the real economy, could keep many seniors from coming back.

Realistically, I'm skeptical that high numbers of seniors will come back for softball. Unless the student athlete already planned on doing grad school or finishing out unfinished credits, the cost for attending the extra year of school, or the opportunity cost of passing up making a wage in the real economy, could keep many seniors from coming back.

I think that a player like Fiser is probably on 100% so she might be back. The other seniors I don't know. Kemmetmueller is a nursing student so I am sure she wants to get out in the real world. I bet Partain gets a lot of money too. She might be back.

I think that a player like Fiser is probably on 100% so she might be back. The other seniors I don't know. Kemmetmueller is a nursing student so I am sure she wants to get out in the real world. I bet Partain gets a lot of money too. She might be back.

If a player is not a star on the team, either for the financial reasons already mentioned, or out of self-realization of the need to make way, or of coaches giving gentle nudges to make way, almost all players I have to believe will move on and start their lives. Fiser and Partain may stick around one more year maybe. Or maybe life/family choices outside of softball will take them away.

All together what a fantastic group of players for the Univeristy this group of seniors were... and ambassadors of the sport to Minnesotans.

Will they give everyone a redshirt year, or just seniors? Fifth/sixth scholarship year would be nice for some majors like education to get a free year towards masters degree

Other than the medical field, will anyone be hiring this Summer. It might be a reason for a few of the Sr's. to come back.

Has anybody heard from ticket office if they're refunding season tickets or just carry them over to next year? Can't find email with rep I purchased on

Has anybody heard from ticket office if they're refunding season tickets or just carry them over to next year? Can't find email with rep I purchased on
I got an email that we will.get a refund.

My credit card was refunded the season ticket and donation amount.

I got my money back. I would much rather have the season.

As a season ticket holder I can't help but smile. This is a great opportunity for the program and for Amber. I hope she will use this extra year of college to work on some type of graduate degree. Amber, Minnesota never wants to get ride of you, you have done so much for Minnesota sports. You are welcome as long as you want to stay.

In a time where everybody needs some extra smiles, this is a pretty good one!

Glad to have Amber back for another go-round in 2021.
Getting Brandner, Partain, and Kemmetmueller back would be great, too.

Reactions: MRJ

Who pays for the 5th year? Can they just enroll for the Spring "21 semester?

Who pays for the 5th year? Can they just enroll for the Spring "21 semester?
My understanding is that the NCAA has a fund that would normally be available for these types of initiatives, but that fund was depleted when they settled some of the NIL claims related to football and basketball and not replenished as planned due to the loss of NCAA Basketball Tournament revenue, so the universities would have to cover some or all of the expense. That’s why some schools won’t take advantage of the opportunity to expand scholarship numbers for spring sports. They don’t feel that it’s an appropriate use of funds when facing large budget deficits.

With the Wisconsin announcement about not letting their seniors come back, anyone think Jamie could find a way to get Konwent to come here for a year?

With the Wisconsin announcement about not letting their seniors come back, anyone think Jamie could find a way to get Konwent to come here for a year?

My uneducated guess is, from a “known knows” perspective, if she had to exert to get a second qualifying senior to come back for another year of college ball it would be Partain over Konwent, as good as Konwent certainly is. Partain herself may have other plans that are out of Jamie’s control. I just don’t even know if they have space for a second returning senior.

Top Bottom