Gopher Softball 2020

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I think she worked hard to get Sara G. Ellie Jensen and Alex Velasquez were Flo All-Americans and very highly rated. We have had debates about FLO and I don't believe in their ratings. Jensen was actualy committed to Iowa State and Allister flipped her to Minnesota. I think Lowary was supposed to be a big-time pitcher but she was never 100%.
For some reason I thought that Sara G had no other major program offers. I thought I heard her say that herself on a podcast, but I could be wrong. The Lowery situation was unfortunate.

On pitching, I assume the coaches have decided that Jones can benefit the team much more with her bat than her pitching arm. Which makes sense. With her in the lineup (assuming her continued improvement!) that gives us a total of 9 batters that can make contact with college pitching with any regularity at all. Those behind Jones, sometimes including her and Brandt actually, have really struggled with consistent contact.

But my pitching question is do we think she has an arm that can both get her ERA off infinity and maybe allow her some more regular pitching duty in the years ahead? Maybe the ERA tells me what I need to know. Probably they think Fiser and Pease are both physically strong enough by stature to take almost all of the innings without diminishing their velocity and stuff and therefore their spot duty pitcher will be Dueck this year. I am just thinking about next year and without Jones hurling we are really going to have to put our hopes behind Ansleigh Holyfield to be able to college batters out as another pitcher.

rugger14

Reaction score
The first RPI is out. I didn't see it posted. The B1G rankings will probably make it tough to move the RPI up.

18MichiganBig Ten15-8
22MinnesotaBig Ten14-9
38IowaBig Ten17-5
40NorthwesternBig Ten11-12
52IndianaBig Ten9-9
63Ohio St.Big Ten8-9
68IllinoisBig Ten10-11
87WisconsinBig Ten14-10
103NebraskaBig Ten9-14
104PurdueBig Ten15-10
105MarylandBig Ten12-11
128RutgersBig Ten9-14
183Penn St.Big Ten11-14
256Michigan St.Big Ten

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
The first RPI is out. I didn't see it posted. The B1G rankings will probably make it tough to move the RPI up.

18MichiganBig Ten15-8
22MinnesotaBig Ten14-9
38IowaBig Ten17-5
40NorthwesternBig Ten11-12
52IndianaBig Ten9-9
63Ohio St.Big Ten8-9
68IllinoisBig Ten10-11
87WisconsinBig Ten14-10
103NebraskaBig Ten9-14
104PurdueBig Ten15-10
105MarylandBig Ten12-11
128RutgersBig Ten9-14
183Penn St.Big Ten11-14
256Michigan St.Big Ten

I agree. One thing to remember about these first few RPIs is they are the least connected to the real strength of the team that a lot of experts/coaches can see with their eyeball tests. The RPI gets “better” throughout the year as it chews through more data from more games. For instance I certainly expect Wisconsin will move up a bit and Iowa will move down.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Time has caused me to forget how steady of a hitter Ellee Jensen is. She is good. I think Rugger14 is right that she was fairly highly recruited as well, maybe the top get of that class.

Either way, it is nice to have her back. She already has more hits than several of the other hitters that we were trying to plug in the DH/8th spot in the lineup in hopes that their hitting would emerge.

Panthadad2

Reaction score
Time has caused me to forget how steady of a hitter Ellee Jensen is. She is good. I think Rugger14 is right that she was fairly highly recruited as well, maybe the top get of that class.

Either way, it is nice to have her back. She already has more hits than several of the other hitters that we were trying to plug in the DH/8th spot in the lineup in hopes that their hitting would emerge.

I'll play the "what if" game. What if Partain and Jensen were in the 1/2 spots for the whole season so far, with both Denhartog and Brandner in the 3/4 spots? How many more runs would have been scored, or games won?

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I'll play the "what if" game. What if Partain and Jensen were in the 1/2 spots for the whole season so far, with both Denhartog and Brandner in the 3/4 spots? How many more runs would have been scored, or games won?

Well, in that scenario the Gophers go from the 2nd or maybe 3rd best team in the Big Ten and the 16-22nd best team in the country to the best team in the Big Ten and 5-8th best team in the country. Oh well. Having Just Jensen back moves us closer to those lower numbers and a real contender for the Big Ten title(s).

I just hope the season doesn’t get cancelled by CoronaVirus.

rugger14

Reaction score
For some reason I thought that Sara G had no other major program offers. I thought I heard her say that herself on a podcast, but I could be wrong. The Lowery situation was unfortunate.

I think it was on a podcast I listened to at some point. If I remember correctly, Allister got on her early and some of the bigger programs took notice later in her recruiting and tried to get her to flip her commitment.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Well, in that scenario the Gophers go from the 2nd or maybe 3rd best team in the Big Ten and the 16-22nd best team in the country to the best team in the Big Ten and 5-8th best team in the country. Oh well. Having Just Jensen back moves us closer to those lower numbers and a real contender for the Big Ten title(s).

I just hope the season doesn’t get cancelled by CoronaVirus.
I agree 100% with what you 98 and Panthadad write here. (Is there no hope Brandner comes back this year? As far as I know, nobody has even said what's wrong with her.)

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
I agree 100% with what you 98 and Panthadad write here. (Is there no hope Brandner comes back this year? As far as I know, nobody has even said what's wrong with her.)

Unlike almost all injured college players she is not traveling with the team.

I think it must be someone more personal yet tangentially medically-related. I would not expect her back playing Gopher softball until next year, if ever, so as to not get my “hopes” up.

Her power sure was so critical for the lethality of our lineup. A Brandner for Jones switch would be noticeable. I just think having so much less power this year than in the previous 4-6 years we should play speedball and take chances with a lot more steals.

Panthadad2

Reaction score
....Her power sure was so critical for the lethality of our lineup. A Brandner for Jones switch would be noticeable. I just think having so much less power this year than in the previous 4-6 years we should play speedball and take chances with a lot more steals.

In one short year, Brandner became one of my favorite Gophers since I've watched softball. I'm missing her swagger, big baseball-type swing, the small adjustments in the batters box, and underappreciated cat-like reflexes at 1B. Big loss in my book.

Last edited:

GrudgeGuy

Reaction score
It appears the season - and the careers of many great players (seniors) may now be officially over.

Hrothgar

Reaction score
In one short year, Brandner became one of my favorite Gophers since I've watched softball. I'm missing her swagger, big baseball-type swing, the small adjustments in the batters box, and underappreciated cat-like reflexes at 1B. Big loss in my book.
Not underappreciated by me. I thought Brandner was an all-around better player than Lindaman, her equal at the plate and far better defensively plus an on-field leader.

rugger14

Reaction score
A very sad way to end it all. No championship this year. But memories galore.
Hoping they let the spring sport athletes keep a year of eligibility. They would obviously have to waive some scholly and roster size limits for a year.

Last edited:

Panthadad2

Reaction score
If I was a current Gopher player (and parent), I'd be extending the Hawaii spring break trip on our own dime. With spring break being extended and all in-person classes being pushed online after that, there is no downside other than cost. Take a longer sun-filled break to soften the blow of getting screwed by the NCAA.

rowdaboat

Reaction score
If I was a current Gopher player (and parent), I'd be extending the Hawaii spring break trip on our own dime. With spring break being extended and all in-person classes being pushed online after that, there is no downside other than cost. Take a longer sun-filled break to soften the blow of getting screwed by the NCAA.
Agreed but too late now, they're flying back today

Hrothgar

Reaction score
"Take a longer sun-filled break to soften the blow of getting screwed by the NCAA." Panthadad2
Miraculously, for once the NCAA seems to have screwed everybody equally. o_O

Hrothgar

Reaction score
Flo Sports reports that NCAA is discussing extending eligibility for 2020 spring sports athletes into next year & allowing expanded roster limits. It would be great to have this year's roster (with its present seniors & Brandner) + next year's recruits. Quite a batting order & pitching staff. What are the odds it'll happen?

Gopherholefan

Reaction score
Flo Sports reports that NCAA is discussing extending eligibility for 2020 spring sports athletes into next year & allowing expanded roster limits. It would be great to have this year's roster (with its present seniors & Brandner) + next year's recruits. Quite a batting order & pitching staff. What are the odds it'll happen?
Relatively low. Good article in the strib today about this and the baseball team. Talks about the kids having to pay most of their way through college as the spring sports usually offer partial or no scholarship money. Do the kids want to come back and go further into debt (potentially)? It’s a unique situation but credit to the NCAA for giving the kids the opportunity.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Downside: I have to be tortured by Kendyl Lindaman’s HR, RBI, and On Base Percentage stats for yet another tortuous year. I am sure she will come back to Florida for another Women’s college World Series run year while all of our senior players will start their real lives in the paid economy. Argh.

ComoGopher

Reaction score
Downside: I have to be tortured by Kendyl Lindaman’s HR, RBI, and On Base Percentage stats for yet another tortuous year. I am sure she will come back to Florida for another Women’s college World Series run year while all of our senior players will start their real lives in the paid economy. Argh.
I am happy for her. She found the right program for her. The kids only get 4-5 years there is no need to be miserable. I would love to have her on our team but she clashed with Jamie. Oh Well.

GrudgeGuy

Reaction score
Honestly why does this forum continue to focus on Kendyl Lindaman? Move on. She did. It is so petty to continue to rip on a college athlete that is 21-22 years old. She isn’t the cause of anything that is happening with the gophers today. She went to Minnesota and they changed coaches and it didn’t work out for her. That is not her fault or anyone’s fault.

I doubt anyone on this forum really would have an issue with her as a person and I am sure very few people on here have ever met her in person.

ClassOf98Gopher

Reaction score
Honestly why does this forum continue to focus on Kendyl Lindaman? Move on. She did. It is so petty to continue to rip on a college athlete that is 21-22 years old. She isn’t the cause of anything that is happening with the gophers today. She went to Minnesota and they changed coaches and it didn’t work out for her. That is not her fault or anyone’s fault.

I doubt anyone on this forum really would have an issue with her as a person and I am sure very few people on here have ever met her in person.

Oh, Alexander the Great led a vast army to conquer the majority of world civilization by the time he was 21/22. Joan of Arc was dead and ashes for several years before she would have been 21/22. We as a society baby our twentysomethings WAY to much! You are not much of a grudge guy GrudgeGuy.

Yes, I do occasionally check her stats after a weekend of softball and yes, I am a little sad that she left the Gophers but I mean, it is only softball, and this is only a little forum for sports fans to write silly posts. Finally, you are correct in as much I probably never came within hundreds of miles of the woman and, on a human level, I wish for her a fulfilling and emotionally balanced life. I honestly don’t think I am THAT much of a grudge guy either.

Finally, go gophers!

GrudgeGuy

Reaction score
Oh, Alexander the Great led a vast army to conquer the majority of world civilization by the time he was 21/22. Joan of Arc was dead and ashes for several years before she would have been 21/22. We as a society baby our twentysomethings WAY to much! You are not much of a grudge guy GrudgeGuy.

Yes, I do occasionally check her stats after a weekend of softball and yes, I am a little sad that she left the Gophers but I mean, it is only softball, and this is only a little forum for sports fans to write silly posts. Finally, you are correct in as much I probably never came within hundreds of miles of the woman and, on a human level, I wish for her a fulfilling and emotionally balanced life. I honestly don’t think I am THAT much of a grudge guy either.

Finally, go gophers!
Class of 98 - that post was truly not directed at you. I think your post are very subjective and informed from what I have seen. Seems like you respect ALL gophers players (current and former) from what I have read on this forum.

rugger14

Reaction score
Class of 98 - that post was truly not directed at you. I think your post are very subjective and informed from what I have seen. Seems like you respect ALL gophers players (current and former) from what I have read on this forum.
You did quote 98's post when you posted! ?

Metoo

Reaction score
I think allowing every athlete an extra year is kind of a oxymoron because we tell these kids that they are students first. They should have been pushed to graduate and move forward in life. The athlete part was a bonus to enjoy another aspect of school. We all go through life and things happen, school was not taken away. Just realistic but this will have longer effects on so many others than 1 partial year for a senior who should have been planning real life and graduating.

Panthadad2

Reaction score
I think allowing every athlete an extra year is kind of a oxymoron because we tell these kids that they are students first. They should have been pushed to graduate and move forward in life. The athlete part was a bonus to enjoy another aspect of school. We all go through life and things happen, school was not taken away. Just realistic but this will have longer effects on so many others than 1 partial year for a senior who should have been planning real life and graduating.

Realistically, I'm skeptical that high numbers of seniors will come back for softball. Unless the student athlete already planned on doing grad school or finishing out unfinished credits, the cost for attending the extra year of school, or the opportunity cost of passing up making a wage in the real economy, could keep many seniors from coming back.

rugger14

Reaction score
Realistically, I'm skeptical that high numbers of seniors will come back for softball. Unless the student athlete already planned on doing grad school or finishing out unfinished credits, the cost for attending the extra year of school, or the opportunity cost of passing up making a wage in the real economy, could keep many seniors from coming back.

I think that a player like Fiser is probably on 100% so she might be back. The other seniors I don't know. Kemmetmueller is a nursing student so I am sure she wants to get out in the real world. I bet Partain gets a lot of money too. She might be back.

Top Bottom