Gopher Softball 2019

So many experts. Go Gophers.

Yay! Sports! Go team! Rah rah! I can't make observations and have opinions!

That better?

PS) It's not rocket science being able to point out very poor quality at bats. I'm as big of a Brander supporter as it comes. She has been a beast this season. Her at bats today have been trainwrecks. She isn't seeing Plain well at all. Also I played the sport for 15 years, I'm willing to bet I'm much more knowledgable about the sport and the program than you are.

Last edited:

Doesn't take an expert to see they're playing very poorly last two games

On a lighter note. Just announced that the Gophers hav been added to the Clearwater -St. Pete. elite invitational for next year. Wish I could make it. Already have a Hawaii trip planned

Great weather delay. Just bought a way too expensive beer to watch the rest

I was hoping for that! It might replace Mary Nutter as the premier noncon event.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

On the bright side, we're still in the game, although I agree it doesn't look very good at this point.

And Carlie Brandt has had lots of good to very good at bats down the stretch and in the post-season. If she had a little more pop....

I was hoping we'd come back a little stronger today, that first inning was a major downer.

Yay! Sports! Go team! Rah rah! I can't make observations and have opinions!

That better?

PS) It's not rocket science being able to point out very poor quality at bats. I'm as big of a Brander supporter as it comes. She has been a beast this season. Her at bats today have been trainwrecks. She isn't seeing Plain well at all. Also I played the sport for 15 years, I'm willing to bet I'm much more knowledgable about the sport and the program than you are.

Gopherhole is sometimes confused with Gopherhomer.

If anybody is really interested in seeing what the teams are doing during the weather delay, check out the Gopher and Washington softball twitter accounts.
There's a pretty intense game of connect-four going on! :D:clap:

If anybody is really interested in seeing what the teams are doing during the weather delay, check out the Gopher and Washington softball twitter accounts.
There's a pretty intense game of connect-four going on! :D:clap:

Apparently my twitter isn't updating...the last tweets I show are "Fancy a game of Connect Four? You can go first" from UW
and the "Great couple of photos" retweet FastpitchNews from Minnesota Softball

G*%$ D*%$ !!

Erika has been doing a pretty good job on the radio, but it's harder with Mike Grimm as her partner than with the amateurs she was doing the streams with.

Not to criticize him unduly, but Mike Grimm's your typical modern announcer who feels like he needs to talk constantly, more or less non-stop. Erika is all about the game. Because Mike is always talking about this and that there just is not the set up for Erika to play to her strength, which again, is the game, the situation, the players and the team.

It's cooled off a little. At 4pm It's supposed to be 74° w/9mph.

All right Gophs, you've got one last chance to come out and show what you can do!!!!!

LET'S GO GOPHS

Nice 7th inning guys-Carlie Brandt baby! That second strike to Pertain was questionable!!!!

GREAT SEASON GOPHERS! First WCWS appearance, congratulations :clap:

I wasn't too disappointed in the first game; first time jitters, and after understandably over-celebrating the super regional and all that.

But I was disappointed by our play today. The left side of the infield which was so good all year makes an error right away in the first, and then makes an error first play after the rain delay when we're still in the game. It's hard to establish confidence when you do that. (but it wasn't just them-the whole team didn't have it) DANG IT!!

they didn't take too many called third strikes this tourney

But still, I gotta give it to this team they had a great year :clap:

Last edited:

Hope that coach Katie can keep working with Carlie in off-season could be top of order hitter

A bummer for sure and I'm sure the players will spend a fair amount of time ruminating over their final two outings of the season, but this team was something incredibly special to watch for obvious reasons.

Congrats on the season ladies!!! You gave every young softball player in the state something to remember and a goal to strive for.

And I agree, the team will be very tough again next year. Need to find a No. 2 pitcher, a new short-stop and somebody to step into Maddie's shoes.

Which brings me to this: Maddie Houlihan is going to go down as one of my favorite all-time Gophers. She's not only been an outstanding player on the field, but has also been the ultimate representative of what the Gopher softball program wants to be. The best of wishes to her, Allie, Syd and Chell as well!!! You've left a tremendous legacy for this program to live up to! :D :clap:

As for next year, the team is going to be good. I think we can count on that much.

How good will depend on filling the aforementioned holes.

Natalie should be able to take over for Maddie if she works on defense, already been doing a lot of the media interviews. 3 conference tournament championships and WCWS pretty good for Maddie

Hope that coach Katie can keep working with Carlie in off-season could be top of order hitter

She was so much better as a hitter at the end of the season it's amazing.

Her clutch performance also kind of justifies the fact that coaches always seem to want her on the field. If she had a little bit more pop, I think a lot of her post-season well struck outs would have been hits (or home runs:cool:)

Which brings me to this: Maddie Houlihan is going to go down as one of my favorite all-time Gophers. She's not only been an outstanding player on the field, but has also been the ultimate representative of what the Gopher softball program wants to be. The best of wishes to her, Allie, Syd and Chell as well!!! You've left a tremendous legacy for this program to live up to! :D :clap:

I haven't been a fan for too long, but I'm with you on Maddie. Something about her:eek:

Tough day today. With a couple positive breaks we might have been able to pull it off. We didn't, but it doesn't dampen the season as a whole in my opinion. Congratulations on a great year!

They have some consistency now being at the top of the Big 10. Furthermore they are advancing further in the tournament. Hopefully this will lead to more solid recruits who want to play with a great team. They haven't met their ceiling yet and believe we can do better yet next year.

Congratulations for the season. We all wanted more, but this team accomplished a lot. Next year we get Ellie back, some bench player will make great strides and the incoming freshman class could have some good ones. Biggest question mark will be the #2 pitching spot. Will there be a transfer on the horizon or will Carly, Hanna or Rachel step up. Maybe the Canadian. Anyway, as a season ticket holder thank you for something special.

Top Bottom