Gopher Softball 2019

Per Gopher Softball twitter:
You all enjoyed @erika_smyth6 on the BTN Plus stream so much this year that we are bringing her back on @KFAN1003 this weekend! Oh, @MikeGrimm3 will be there too.

For you folks that didn't hear her do color commentary in games this season, IMHO she was seriously good ;)

@erika_smyth6
14m14 minutes ago
Erika Smyth Retweeted Minnesota Softball
Pumped to be along side the great voice of @GopherSports, @MikeGrimm3 and the @KFAN1003 team this weekend for the Minneapolis Super Regional! Ready to witness some @GopherSoftball history from behind the �� at Jane Sage #StayTuned

Then who's going to be pumping up the crowd if she's in the broadcast booth?

No posts today for Gopher softball?

Lots of activity with press and well wishers for the team.

LSU takes balanced approach to pitching
Shelbi Sunseri- 133.2 IP, 84 SO, 55 BB, .212 BA, 2.15 ERA, 13-9
Maribeth Gorsuch- 102 IP, 55 SO, 68 BB, .199 BA, 2.54 ERA, 13-3
Shelby Wickersham- 98 IP, 48 SO, 36 BB, .221 BA, 2.29 ERA, 10-2

And Ali Kilponen is a strikeout pitcher with 47.1 IP and an era of 3.55

GO GOPHERS!

5Dimes has all the softball odds up. FSU is -280 on Bovada took $28 there
2 https://www.5dimeslines.com/odds/Baseball/Softball/

Oklahoma -1700 / NW +800
Alabama -315 / Texas +235
Florida -195 / Tennessee +155
Washington -290 / Kentucky +155
FSU -430 / OK State +310
Arizona -475 / Mississippi +325
Minnesota -265 / LSU +185
UCLA -570 / JMU +380

5Dimes has all the softball odds up. FSU is -280 on Bovada took $28 there
2 https://www.5dimeslines.com/odds/Baseball/Softball/

Oklahoma -1700 / NW +800
Alabama -315 / Texas +235
Florida -195 / Tennessee +155
Washington -290 / Kentucky +155
FSU -430 / OK State +310
Arizona -475 / Mississippi +325
Minnesota -265 / LSU +185
UCLA -570 / JMU +380

I did not see the OSU upset over FSU coming.

Tweet from Patrick Reusse, the crank and curmudgeon, who can still be a heck of a good sportswriter:

Someone pointed out I used “mound” rather than “circle” in today’s softball column. Gophers could cause old ball writer to be writing softball columns on deadline in immediate future & I better get my act together.

GO GOPHERS :eek:

Biggest advantage for LSU in this series, IMO, is institutional information, or program history. LSU has been in 3 of last 4 WCWS. In addition to the nerves both teams will feel, the Gophers will have to discover in themselves the belief they can do something no other Gopher has ever done against a team that is used to doing it.

I'm not saying they can't do it, though. If the Gophers can get some positive momentum going, they've got Fiser, a good team, and home field advantage. Maybe we'll be watching them play in OK City next weekend!

GO GOPHERS!

Fairly even stats in terms of catcher and DP for Gophers this year vs 2017 in KL freshman year. Emma has more power and better stats if AB were similar to Sara and much better defense than KL, Natalie still behind KL since her numbers were so high but then regressed a bit to .532 obp 20 hr 55 rbi soph year

2017-

Catcher - 148 AB, .598 obp, 20 hr, 76 rbi, 133 tb, 24 sba, 10 cs, 6 pb, 5 e
DP/Groenewgen - 164 AB, .363 obp, 2 HR, 30 RBI, 53 TB

2019-
Burns - 106 AB, .333 obp, 7 HR, 19 RBI, 50 TB, 10 sba, 11 csb, 9 pb, 3 e
DP/DenHartog- 164 AB, .430 obp, 17 HR, 62 RBI, 134 tb

2 on, 1 out... bot 2...
called strike 3... looked a bit outside, but you can't just watch in that situation. 2 outs...
Nuts, easy play back to the mound...

Minn is putting pressure on LSU though!

still no score...

2 on, 1 out... bot 2...
called strike 3... looked a bit outside, but you can't just watch in that situation. 2 outs...
Nuts, easy play back to the mound...

Minn is putting pressure on LSU though!

still no score...

I was going to post the same but held back. 2 runners on, 0-2 count, and caught looking on a meatball changeup down the middle. Ouch.

Andrews hit by pitch, but replay looks like it hit the knob of the bat too. Then she steals 2nd.

nobody out.

deep fly ball to left, doesn't advance Andrews. 1 out.

then a K... 2 down, 5 Ks so far in the 3rd. Fiser doing great so far.

Oh my... K, passed ball, run scores, runner safe at first.

Speaking as a former catcher that was an absolutely horrendous decision by Burns. Gotta know situation and whose on base. Let her have the base on the strikeout. Instead, they score a completely undeserved run. Ugh.

There is no way the ball that may have hit Andrews drops to the ground and back towards the pitcher by only hitting her wrist angled back like that... umps blew that one, cost Minn a run.

move on and play your game... you'll be fine!

Speaking as a former catcher that was an absolutely horrendous decision by Burns. Gotta know situation and whose on base. Let her have the base on the strikeout. Instead, they score a completely undeserved run. Ugh.

totally agree also

SWEET, HR!

Keep the pressure up, new game now....

Last edited:

LSU pitcher Shelbi Sunseri's crow hop (replant) makes Barnhill's look minor. Geez.

Big time swing by Maddie! Love it for the team leader...

LSU pitcher Shelbi Sunseri's crow hop (replant) makes Barnhill's look minor. Geez.

They won't call it. They've already missed a bunch of stuff they could've called against LSU, but are proving to be lost (or just outright loving themselves some SEC).

They won't call it. They've already missed a bunch of stuff they could've called against LSU, but are proving to be lost.

I wouldn't have noticed the crow hop myself. Gave tickets to my daughter and she texted a video clip back to me complaining about it.

I have virtually no respect for any SEC "school" when it comes to athletics, but that was a nice swing.

the "replant" is the key, but you're right imo, they won't call it here. Maybe next weekend, but now now. They've done that before, ignore it all season and during the regionals/supers only to call it in Ok City.

the "replant" is the key, but you're right imo, they won't call it here. Maybe next weekend, but now now. They've done that before, ignore it all season and during the regionals/supers only to call it in Ok City.

Shows how poor NCAA softball umpires really are. Consistently god awful at their jobs.

runner sure looks like she's leaving early... should appeal.

edit... In game 1 of the last regular season series against UCLA, AZ coach Candrea appealed the same thing on a scored run by UCLA in the bottom of the 1st inning and the umps agreed and called the runner out. AZ went on to win the game giving Garcia her first loss of the year... she was 20-0 up until that night.

Last edited:

LSU getting every break/call plus putting together some timely hitting. Ladies are going to have to really dig deep here.

looked away for a minute, now it's tied! 2 on, 2 out... tied at 3

edit: walked to load the bases!

edit2: 2 more runs!, 5-3

Last edited:

Top Bottom