Gopher Radio Show

mnsports1

Reaction score
Help me understand why a show like this wouldn't work at KFAN
Time slot: M-F, 2-3 pm
Hosts: 2 guys, neither currently employed by KFAN. (maybe holers)
Show make-up: 85% dedicated to FB and MBB year round. (game recap, break-downs, interviews, calls, recruiting talk, etc), 10% Mens Hockey in season, 5% other non-revenue sports news
Is Kfan unable to secure advertising for a show like this, or do they have no interest.

Just curious

Help me understand why a show like this wouldn't work at KFAN
Time slot: M-F, 2-3 pm
Hosts: 2 guys, neither currently employed by KFAN. (maybe holers)
Show make-up: 85% dedicated to FB and MBB year round. (game recap, break-downs, interviews, calls, recruiting talk, etc), 10% Mens Hockey in season, 5% other non-revenue sports news
Is Kfan unable to secure advertising for a show like this, or do they have no interest.

Just curious

or Brains.

KFAN is now an inside joke basically. They have their own bits, words, and philosophies, none of which is pro-gopher sports or pro hometown team(vikings is the exception since they basically own the station locally).
It's a lost cause, embrace the underground nature of Gopher sports fandom, there are plenty of websites and online sources of intelligent commentary. MV's podcast on FBT is about as close to your radio show as your will get locally until KFAN is restructured/bought out, and until 1500 who is mostly gopher neutral gives a damn.

MV from FBT would be a great host, he loves the Gophs and he knows his sh*t inside-and-out.

My buddies and I have an agreement that is any of us win the lottery we will try to buy our own radio show. Since we all went to the U, we would cover the Gophers the majority of the time.

or Brains.

KFAN is now an inside joke basically. They have their own bits, words, and philosophies, none of which is pro-gopher sports or pro hometown team(vikings is the exception since they basically own the station locally).
It's a lost cause, embrace the underground nature of Gopher sports fandom, there are plenty of websites and online sources of intelligent commentary. MV's podcast on FBT is about as close to your radio show as your will get locally until KFAN is restructured/bought out, and until 1500 who is mostly gopher neutral gives a damn.

Exactly. Being a Gopher diehard is, stragely, the only hobby I've ever enjoyed that has an 'underground' feel to it.

It wouldn't bring in the ratings. Outside of a small group, Gopher sports don't attract much attention in the area.

A. I'd rather have it on am1500, just out of spite towards KFAN
B. It would have to be a night show (7pm - 8pm?); per ski u master, no station will give such a show a prime time slot.
C. MV would be awesome, but since he isnt currently employed by am1500 and Doogie is, I would be okay with Doogie as well (who could have MV as a co-host, or regular contributer?)

Also, I think such a show should heavily target area high schools coaches, athletes, and prospective gophers (not explicitly labeled as such, but high profile athletes), etc, etc. Similar to the Beyond the Pond show on Saturday mornings that KFAN has (I believe they still have it) That could open the door to a greater audience (high school kids, teammates, opponents, that are interested in hearing what their peers have to say). Not sure if any of this would be legal; could walk a fine line I suppose, depending upon how the show were structured, but it could be sweet.

It wouldn't bring in the ratings. Outside of a small group, Gopher sports don't attract much attention in the area.

Ding Ding Ding...Tell him what he's won, Johnny!

I work in radio and am dieing to move back to Minnesota!

I throw my hat in the ring.

You're right about the prospective hosts not being currently employed by KFAN -- their only "personality" even vaguely knowledgeable of Gopher football is Justin freaking Gaard, ardent Hawkeye supporter.

I've been pining for a show like this! However it couldn't be hosted by any of the current kfan or kstp personnel as they are not experts on Golden Gopher Football or college football in general.

Also, I think such a show should heavily target area high schools coaches, athletes, and prospective gophers (not explicitly labeled as such, but high profile athletes), etc, etc. Similar to the Beyond the Pond show on Saturday mornings that KFAN has (I believe they still have it) That could open the door to a greater audience (high school kids, teammates, opponents, that are interested in hearing what their peers have to say). Not sure if any of this would be legal; could walk a fine line I suppose, depending upon how the show were structured, but it could be sweet.

I fear that would be too much like drooling idiot Mike Max yammering on about town team baseball and division 3 college sports.

The only radio host (well, except maybe Mona, but he's just Sid's nurse) who knew about and cared about Gopher sports is currently in prison.

It is another chicken or the egg delemia. Without such programs there isn't a broad interest, and without a broad interest, there isn't any programs like this.

I have got to believe that if you can get people to listen to the garden and fishing or golf shows that you can find a audience that will listen to gopher talk. I think that line is just an excuse. It has to deal with the personalities on the show, how much money did Seinfeld make off a show about nothing and how long did 'CCO dominate the radio waves with small talk and crop reports.

It is another chicken or the egg delemia. Without such programs there isn't a broad interest, and without a broad interest, there isn't any programs like this.

I have got to believe that if you can get people to listen to the garden and fishing or golf shows that you can find a audience that will listen to gopher talk. I think that line is just an excuse. It has to deal with the personalities on the show, how much money did Seinfeld make off a show about nothing and how long did 'CCO dominate the radio waves with small talk and crop reports.

Most shows come with sponsorship. If you come to a station with a show and the commercial time already sold, they will give the show a try.

They cover the Wild also, but "Beyond the Pond" on KFAN with Nate Miller and Pat Micheletti is a solid, enjoyable program that is at least half about Gopher hockey. Would love to have the equivalent on Gopher football or Gopher basketball with former Gopher players involved. Trent Tucker is on before them supposedly about basketball but often gets sidetracked with the Packer jerk monopolizing the conversation. As if KFAN doesn't dwell on football enough.

Why wouldn't it work on KFAN? Because gopher athletics are a practical joke on KFAN.

or Brains.

1500espn.com has a ton of Gophers coverage... in fact, I see a lengthy story on Kangas from today, and a notebook from hoops practice... on-air, Reusse & Mackey talk a ton of Gophers... I am on with Phunn for 35 min. every Wed. talking Gophers... and Sunday Sports Talk digs into plenty of Gophers dialogue.

Question --- Who is MV?

The genious that created this site

http://fringebowlteamblog.com/

He works non-stop on recruits, current players, the program status, player status, coaches status, etc. I would hate to know how many hundreds of hours he has put into the constant updating of our beloved Gopher football team. He has also started a live broadcast this last fall. I get the feeling MV is just a huge fan with football common sense and the drive to constantly research and update everything having to do with Gopher Football.

KFAN = Pro Sports, most of which is Vikings. I tuned in on Tuesday to see what they were saying about the National Championship game and every time my dial stopped at 1130 they were talking about the Vikings draft prospects. Yesterday P.A. was going on about how excited he is that he has Timberwolves tickets this weekend, THE TIMBERWOLVES? My guess is that he wouldn't go to Williams Arena if he were paid to. If you love pro sports of any kind, that is the station for you, but if you love college sports of any kind, you'd better head elsewhere.

1500espn.com has a ton of Gophers coverage... in fact, I see a lengthy story on Kangas from today, and a notebook from hoops practice... on-air, Reusse & Mackey talk a ton of Gophers... I am on with Phunn for 35 min. every Wed. talking Gophers... and Sunday Sports Talk digs into plenty of Gophers dialogue.

I suggested Kfan only due to the fact that it can be picked up around the state. Does 1500 get to most outstate areas?

(I do not live in MN anymore but travel through regularly)

Garage Logic is on a network, plus 1500 has plenty of relationships with stations throughout the region because of the Twins radio network.

Yesterday P.A. was going on about how excited he is that he has Timberwolves tickets this weekend, THE TIMBERWOLVES? My guess is that he wouldn't go to Williams Arena if he were paid to.

He'll step in Williams for the first time if TC collapses and they play a wolves game there.

I get the feeling MV is just a huge fan with football common sense and the drive to constantly research and update everything having to do with Gopher Football.

I get the feeling that he looked around and, like us, saw no media doing a decent job of covering his favorite team. Unlike most of us, myself included, he went beyond complaining a fulfilled a need. I hope he does well because it is business 101, find a need> fulfill need.

The problem with 1500 espn's effort to become the place for Gopher sports talk is that they kept Reusse as the main guy. He has made a negative impression with Gopher fans over the course of time, and now he is supposed to be where we go for info on our favorite team? I can't speak for others, but for me he has made his bed, and now 1500espn has to sleep in it.

Reusse & Mackey talk a ton of Gophers...

Reusse is OK, but Mackey is pretty much insufferable. He's essentially 1500's version of Sludge if Sludge were an internet poker wunderkind who could extol the merits of VORP for 20 minutes.

Reusse and Mackey are gopher neutral IMO, which is better than Reusse used to be.
I almost edited in you and Phunn's weekly chat into my post, love it, no offense at the omission.

Honestly my favorite 1500 show was the mornings before ESPN took over when you, Phunn, and Jon Hanson would banter. I'd love for that to replace GL in the afternoons, but probably won't happen until the 65+ St. Paul native old man shaking fist at disrespectful youngsters generation moves on.

Any chance 1500 let's you or anyone do a show coverering the recruiting class on Feb. 2 or the week after?

Top Bottom