Gopher Potential Portal Pursuits

This season will answer that! I actually think they as a whole are well put together and might surprise us.
Guess we will see come this November and forward. Until then everyone on here is really guessing and does not really know!

I like your optimism but while this group moves up defensively and depth wise, it declines in offensive skill. Capable shooting covers a lot of ills and we lost two good shooters and didn’t replace them.
If this group isn't a Top 50 Defensive Team (Likely will need even Top 20-40) we won't be good enough to make the tournament.

It's true, we don't have the offensive talent to make up for us being a mediocre defensive team.

If this group isn't a Top 50 Defensive Team (Likely will need even Top 20-40) we won't be good enough to make the tournament.

It's true, we don't have the offensive talent to make up for us being a mediocre defensive team.
IMO, there will one more player added after May 29.
Whether it is Cam Christie, or his replacement, will be decided by his NBA decision near that date.
This team needs a wing who has a skill set comparable to Christie and I hope they add such a player at that time.

IMO, there will one more player added after May 29.
Whether it is Cam Christie, or his replacement, will be decided by his NBA decision near that date.
This team needs a wing who has a skill set comparable to Christie and I hope they add such a player at that time.
Out of curiosity do you have any suggestions for who that wing might be? :)

I am hoping that on May29, one of the two things will occur:
1) Cam Christie will postpone his NBA career and return to the Gophers;
Or
2) if Christie decides not to return to the Gophers, the Gophers will sign Jackson State wing Ken Evans Jr. out of the transfer portal.
One more time, please. There are people in Bhutan who haven't heard you say this.

One more time, please. There are people in Bhutan who haven't heard you say this.
I am simply responding to those of you who keep asking me "One more time, please."
So I still owe you one more time.
Pay attention and I will satisfy your request ASAP....

Might need a wellness check when Ben gives the last scholarship to Eric Reader.

The only good defender they lost is Carrington (Payne would make some nice plays, but wasn’t consistently good imo). If the new guys turn out to be good defenders they could make a jump.
FYi you all realise when there was little ti no interest in him after he went in the portal Carrington asked to come back and was told he waa no longer wanted! He pulked that duribg the season and after the seasin by going in the pirtal he and JoJ had big egos and a highly unflated opinion of tgemselves fed vy family and friends, oh well now bot sol.

FYi you all realise when there was little ti no interest in him after he went in the portal Carrington asked to come back and was told he waa no longer wanted! He pulked that duribg the season and after the seasin by going in the pirtal he and JoJ had big egos and a highly unflated opinion of tgemselves fed vy family and friends, oh well now bot sol.
Are you smelling burnt toast?

KenPom had the Gophers at 115 Defensively last year. Need a huge jump.
According to Torvik's site, the final defensive efficiency ranks during the Johnson era have been:

2024: 131st
2023: 193rd
2022: 143rd

For fun, let's do the 3 years prior:

2021: 61st
2020: 43rd
2019: 53rd

On the positive side, *perhaps* the current roster has been constructed to prioritize defense more than in the past.

I believe, however, that defense is much more a team thing than an individual one, The really great defenses in the B1G and other P5 conferences are generally good every year, even though the personnel changes. That's largely about coaching and the defensive schemes/mindsets/rules they implement. There are good defensive coaches (Pikiell) and terrible ones (McCaffery). Johnson tends toward the McCaffery end of the continuum - this is a fact, not an opinion. It is beyond optimistic to think he could get even to the modest numbers of the Pitino era (which are really "just ok" numbers for a P5 team)

Ummm

Farmer Fran?

According to Torvik's site, the final defensive efficiency ranks during the Johnson era have been:

On the positive side, *perhaps* the current roster has been constructed to prioritize defense more than in the past.

I believe, however, that defense is much more a team thing than an individual one, The really great defenses in the B1G and other P5 conferences are generally good every year, even though the personnel changes. That's largely about coaching and the defensive schemes/mindsets/rules they implement. There are good defensive coaches (Pikiell) and terrible ones (McCaffery). Johnson tends toward the McCaffery end of the continuum - this is a fact, not an opinion. It is beyond optimistic to think he could get even to the modest numbers of the Pitino era (which are really "just ok" numbers for a P5 team)
I’d say we’re in trouble then

So we'll be bad on offense. And defense. Hope the special teams are good...

MN lost its ability to defend right after beating MSU at home. It was crazy. In the first 11 Big Ten games, our Def Eff Rating was 104.3. After beating MSU, the rest of the season 12 games the rating ballooned to 118.8.

Fatigue, locker room drama, nagging injuries, coaching adjustments, whatever happened I'm not privy to, but it only takes one guy to completely blow up a defensive possession. Yes I'm looking right at Christie, Hawkins, and JOJ. Christie and JOJ from lack of communication and effort, Hawkins from lack of size and physicality.

This gives me optimism for next season with an older roster 10 seniors, likely the oldest team in college bb. These guys coming in were low-star recruits that have worked on their games, built value and are now 3-star, 88-rated portal guys. Should be a fun group to watch if they play as a team on both ends.

i wuz initially dinkin' we might miss carrin'ton and JoJ but now it looks likes da damn team gotss'ta be mo'e cohesive widout dem

i wuz initially dinkin' we might miss carrin'ton and JoJ but now it looks likes da damn team gotss'ta be mo'e cohesive widout dem
Y'all need to come stay in these hills of Appalachia for some fun just trying to decipher just wtf the folk be yamm'n bout

That is why the Gophers can't play basketball.
Too damn much emphasis on ACADEMICS!

MN lost its ability to defend right after beating MSU at home. It was crazy. In the first 11 Big Ten games, our Def Eff Rating was 104.3. After beating MSU, the rest of the season 12 games the rating ballooned to 118.8.

Fatigue, locker room drama, nagging injuries, coaching adjustments, whatever happened I'm not privy to, but it only takes one guy to completely blow up a defensive possession. Yes I'm looking right at Christie, Hawkins, and JOJ. Christie and JOJ from lack of communication and effort, Hawkins from lack of size and physicality.

This gives me optimism for next season with an older roster 10 seniors, likely the oldest team in college bb. These guys coming in were low-star recruits that have worked on their games, built value and are now 3-star, 88-rated portal guys. Should be a fun group to watch if they play as a team on both ends.
I was thinking the same thing. While it's pretty well established that Dawson is our guy, we seem to have a more balanced team and deep team. We have guys who have improved every year they've played. We have alot of experience and that'll bode well for Grove and Asuma.

That is why the Gophers can't play basketball.
Too damn much emphasis on ACADEMICS!
admittedly, you don't need much of an education to use a jive translator
or: admittedly, ya' duzn't need much uh an educashun t'use some JIBE translato'

so what are we thinking? Cam gave CBJ a chance to raise the $75K per month needed should Cam drop out of the draft and return to college ball - and CBJ's chances of getting that done are near zero? followed by purcel or reader getting the last scholarship?

Top Bottom