Gopher Potential Portal Pursuits

Joj didn't hardly play beeg. If Betts was ready or good enough he would have played.
I forgot Ihnen as well. Ihnen and JOJ were starters for several games and between the two of them they averaged 27 minutes per game. So you had those two, Fox and Garcia all stacked at the 4.
Maybe Betts is no good. But something convinced him to stick for next year. I don't think he stays if Ben says he has little chance to play.

I forgot Ihnen as well. Ihnen and JOJ were starters for several games and between the two of them they averaged 27 minutes per game. So you had those two, Fox and Garcia all stacked at the 4.
Maybe Betts is no good. But something convinced him to stick for next year. I don't think he stays if Ben says he has little chance to play.
Betts' year is next year when Garcia and Fox are gone. I can see him getting more minutes in non conference this season, but I also expect him to be cut from the rotation come conference season. I hope he sticks around and becomes a productive player as an upperclassman.

I was happy for them, truly I was. Unfortunately you have missed most of where my "how do I stand it" points have come from.
The national pundits who for the most part have a finger much closer to the pulse than you or I when it comes to transfers and talent. I have not come across one yet that states that the Gopher incoming transfers are more talented than what left the program. Have you? If so I would certainly love to see it.
The majority of people on this forum believe that last years team was Ben's most talented group. Would you agree with that?
Now in comparison his first two teams were less talented. Would you agree with that?

So we look to the people who are a teeny bit less bias than the majority here on this board to inform us on what type of talent the Gopher are bringing in. Those pundits, from what I have witness to date, have told college BB fans around the country which teams have had the most success in the portal and which ones have not. The Gopher unfortunately are part of the "have nots".
Portal success won't be know with certainty until next March, for us or anyone else. What all the portal prognosticators are doing is trying to measure individual players' talents against those who left. What that does not predict well at all is team effort and cohesion.

My opinion is that the portal acquisitions have a) a lot of experience; b) better defensive backgrounds than our departees; and, c) a much deeper team allowing key starters more rest during the game. This team has a chance to be better than last year's, especially looking at the last two-three weeks of the season when we were totally exhausted last year with only six reliable players.

Betts' year is next year when Garcia and Fox are gone. I can see him getting more minutes in non conference this season, but I also expect him to be cut from the rotation come conference season. I hope he sticks around and becomes a productive player as an upperclassman.
I'd be SHOCKED if he ever amounts to anything. I doubt you can find a P5 player in the portal era (last 5-6 years) who was a 3* guy who essentially played 0 meaningful minutes in 2 years and then did something useful at that same school.

Might be as easy as, they pay my school, they pay me NIL and no one else will do that, jokes on them.

I'd be SHOCKED if he ever amounts to anything. I doubt you can find a P5 player in the portal era (last 5-6 years) who was a 3* guy who essentially played 0 meaningful minutes in 2 years and then did something useful at that same school.

Might be as easy as, they pay my school, they pay me NIL and no one else will do that, jokes on them.
Betts was a high school senior in year one and the maturity of a freshman this past year. So before you discard him as let’s see how this year goes and see if he can help.

He may want of U of M degree, too. Just a thought. There could be a few of those left in high major basketball.

Regarding Betts: I believe that last season was his first true freshman season. Wasn't he basically a 17 year old who should have been a senior in high school, who redshirted during his first year at U of M?

Of course, that begs the question: How many posters here believe that if a freshman is not able to break into a rotation as an 18 year old on a (near) 500 Big Ten team, that freshman will never be good enough to earn a significant amount of playing time? Just asking as some folks have a different philosophy on that particular issue.

Caveat: maybe some of you were able to observe him in several practice sessions during the season and can attest with your own eyes that he never showed, and does not have the physical tools needed to compete at this level.

Regarding Betts: I believe that last season was his first true freshman season. Wasn't he basically a 17 year old who should have been a senior in high school, who redshirted during his first year at U of M?
betts was 17 when he got on campus and turned 18 november his first year. young, but i was hoping we'd see something from him year 2

Of course, that begs the question: How many posters here believe that if a freshman is not able to break into a rotation as an 18 year old on a (near) 500 Big Ten team, that freshman will never be good enough to earn a significant amount of playing time? Just asking as some folks have a different philosophy on that particular issue.

Caveat: maybe some of you were able to observe him in several practice sessions during the season and can attest with your own eyes that he never showed, and does not have the physical tools needed to compete at this level.
Can’t comment on Betts specifically, but there is a terrible tendency on this board of writing off young players almost immediately if they don’t produce immediately.

That said, the free agent world changes perspective on whether it is worth the investment of time in players who may not have more than a practice role right away. That investment could easily pay dividends for another program.

Etta may have that rare/elusive quality that many males of all ages seemingly struggle with: patience.

I'm of the opinion that if you have a player who can't see the floor at all as a freshman, they are probably not going to be a major contributor as an upperclassman.

However Betts is a player I am willing to be patient on and see if he can contribute this year. We had an incredible log jam at PF (and still do to some extent). And he will be a true sophomore physically.

Just look at some of the Badger big men from MN and what they did in their true freshmen seasons -- Tyler Wahl averaged 3.3 points. Crowl averaged 0.7 points in 12 games. Nate Reuvers averaged 5.3 points on 38% FG shooting. Mike Bruesewitz averaged 1.1 points and shot 33% in 7 mpg. All these guys matured physically and became solid to above average contributors as upperclassmen.

He is far from a sure thing but I am willing to see if he can demonstrate he belongs on the court this year. Then with Parker Fox and Dawson Garcia moving on after this year, there will be 40 minutes per game available at PF.

For me this is just a part of the change in AAU/college basketball. In 1990 if a kid came in a year early and sat, then freshman year didn't play that was semi normal. Kids now days are playing high level opponents all the time and are more prepared for P5 early.

Furthermore, with the portal and NIL there is really no reason to limit a kid, they can either play or not. If after 2 years (yes one was redshirt) you can't play at all, it's very unlikely you can play. Is it impossible, absolutely not, but it's VERY unlikely. I would say Race Thompson is the blueprint for what some are expecting, but I think he is the exception not the rule.

I also don't think I agree with "well he plays a position with a log jam" I mean JOJ and II were useless, Fox played C and sure we have DG but if he's useful then it's on the coach to get a lineup were both of those 2 work, that shouldn't be hard.

So again, to me this screams CBJ is a good human who knows Betts doesn't have a ton other options but he's not going to run him off the team. Again, certainly possible he hits 20, blossoms and is a good player. I just don't think the later has very good odds just based on the current landscape and how things work. Just my 2 cents, I suppose some call it pessimistic, I call it realistic. Hopefully I'm wrong

Can’t comment on Betts specifically, but there is a terrible tendency on this board of writing off young players almost immediately if they don’t produce immediately.

That said, the free agent world changes perspective on whether it is worth the investment of time in players who may not have more than a practice role right away. That investment could easily pay dividends for another program.
To be fair, who is the last Minnesota player that didn’t play at all early in their career, and ended up being a good D1 player? I honestly can’t name one in recent memory.

To be fair, who is the last Minnesota player that didn’t play at all early in their career, and ended up being a good D1 player? I honestly can’t name one in recent memory.
Justin Cobb was used sparingly as a frosh. Also Mbakwe score like 1 point per game as a frosh for Marquette. Damien Johnson.

Damian Johnson. Aaron Robinson. Similar era, but a long time ago, true.

If they become contributing rotation players that is OK too. If they can’t play at this level they need to move on to some where they can play, unless their degree is more important and they manage to keep their scholarship.

This goes back a ways. Archie Clark got better each year: 11.1 ppl to 14.3 ppl to 24.5 ppl as a senior. Jim Petersen averaged 1.2 ppl as a freshman to 11.2 ppl and 6.9 rebounds, a solid senior year that got him drafted in the 3rd round. Clark became an excellent NBA player, and Petersen averaged 5.6 ppg with Houston and played a lot of minutes. .

Jeff Hagen....literally the same era. LOL
BJ Greenlee got very limited minutes as a freshman IIRC
Greenlee interestingly peaked as a sophomore at Florida Atlantic after he left the Gophers. He averaged 10 points, 44% 3PT shooting, 66% FT, 3 assists, 29 minutes.

This last season was his super senior year and in 25 minutes he averaged 6 points, 34% 3PT (39% overall), 2.6 assists and 60% FT.

Good reminder that it's not always a steady upwards progression for player development.

Greenlee interestingly peaked as a sophomore at Florida Atlantic after he left the Gophers. He averaged 10 points, 44% 3PT shooting, 66% FT, 3 assists, 29 minutes.

This last season was his super senior year and in 25 minutes he averaged 6 points, 34% 3PT (39% overall), 2.6 assists and 60% FT.

Good reminder that it's not always a steady upwards progression for player development.
And just like other aspects of life, there is always someone who is better or who works harder who wants to take your job. So you better keep improving at what you do.

If Ben was a spectacular enough recruiter to assemble this great and valuable team that was going to make the Sweet 16, how is his newly recruited team a bunch of scrubs destined for the cellar? Is he a good recruiter/coach or isn't he? $$ alone can't explain the massive gap.
If you had any kind of map, you would be all over it.
Yeah it's possible we find another transfer that's as good as Hawkins was last year. But not as good as he'll be this year. And not as good as Payne & Christie (who entered the portal) growing with the same team for multiple years.

Some of the schools we are competing with appear ummm
One guy has Utah, Cal, TAMU and St. Johnsn after him, the other has BYU, Texas and Texas Tech among others. The extra schools added aren't really in the mix, these are good schools to be competing with, not sure what you're talking about...

One guy has Utah, Cal, TAMU and St. Johnsn after him, the other has BYU, Texas and Texas Tech among others. The extra schools added aren't really in the mix, these are good schools to be competing with, not sure what you're talking about...
How do you know they aren't in the mix

The majority of people on this forum believe that last years team was Ben's most talented group. Would you agree with that?
Now in comparison his first two teams were less talented. Would you agree with that?

Both of those are ex-post conclusions. The ex-ante conclusion of many of those people was that the third year's team only would be marginally better than the second year's team. 10 more wins in 34 games was not "marginally" better.

Similarly, your evidence of online ratings to promote your view is also problematic. Elijah Hawkins was unrated by 247 as a transfer to here in 2023. His ex-post rating as a transfer out this season is very high (.94). Either he had one of the greatest one-year improvements in recent history or the online "experts" simply missed the boat. Patterson is unrated by 247 as a transfer this season. That is absurd for a player who started most games played during the last three seasons, was a double figure per game scorer for the past two seasons and was second team all-conference in a pretty fair league for his most recent year.

Top Bottom