Gopher/Iowa Post Game Thread: Thoughts, Frustrations, Concerns, etc.

How often do we have to watch this team go into a shell versus that zone? Really, no answer? You've lost me Tubby. Your approach doesn't work at this level and you refuse to make adjustments. Since you're not moving on soon, I will and will find more interesting entertainment on which to spend my time and money.

The play today was far from acceptable, but my god, that was some of the worst reffing I have ever seen in a college basketball game.

Today is my birthday, and I actually shut the Gophers off to go wash dishes instead. How many times has that happened before?

Happy Birthday!

Firstly, anyone that says that Tubby needs to be/will be fired before the season ends is detached from reality. There is no point in talking about it because it isn't going to happen.

Right now its virtually impossible for this team to miss the NCAA tournament; they would have to lose the rest of their games for the committee not to pick them.

With that being the situation, its going to be near impossible to cut Tubby loose after getting back to the NCAAs. No up and coming mid-major coach in his right mind would take this job if Tubby got axed after getting the Gophers back in the tourney.

The only way Tubby makes the tourney and subsequently is fired is if Norwood has a slam dunk hire on deck to take this job. You don't fire Tubby and then turn around and do a nationwide search.

For a long time I was resistant to it, but I'm warming up to the idea of Flip Saunders being given a shot with the program. He would definitely qualify as a splash hire, and he has tons of credibility and name recognition nationwide. He would be one of the only guys that could come in and legitimately have a shot at bringing in the TC3.

Tubby is not going to make the Sweet 16. This is not a great BB team. We've an undersized center
An off guard whose a scorer playing point No true power forward. Two wings, One who hits an occasional three, plays good defense, but has trouble driving the lane because of his slight build. Another wing who is aggressive on the drive, but turns the ball over to much and is not a wing shooter and loses focus. Tubby also has absolutely no bench. What I've noticed in Tubby this year is he thinks his bench players are capable of replacing his starters at the 14 minute mark of every game.
Major gaff IMO. Tubby is where he is because of his recruiting. I don't think you lose the ability to coach ( Ray Meyer, John Wooden, etc ) because of your age. I do think Tubby's staff leaves a lot to be desired. Both Jim Dutcher ( Jimmy Williams ) and Clem Haskins ( Al Brown ) surrounded themselves with great ass't coaches. I remember Clem saying at the Dunkers Club that Al Brown was the best X/0 guy in the coaching business. The only way this team gets to the dance is Tubby is going to have to give his starters maximum minutes. I would rotate seven guys ( Ingram
and EE ) This probably means Dre is out there for for close to 40 minutes. To give him some rest and there is no press you let Austin bring the ball up court.
Bottom line. This is not a very good team.

Firstly, anyone that says that Tubby needs to be/will be fired before the season ends is detached from reality. There is no point in talking about it because it isn't going to happen.

Right now its virtually impossible for this team to miss the NCAA tournament; they would have to lose the rest of their games for the committee not to pick them.

With that being the situation, its going to be near impossible to cut Tubby loose after getting back to the NCAAs. No up and coming mid-major coach in his right mind would take this job if Tubby got axed after getting the Gophers back in the tourney.

The only way Tubby makes the tourney and subsequently is fired is if Norwood has a slam dunk hire on deck to take this job. You don't fire Tubby and then turn around and do a nationwide search.

For a long time I was resistant to it, but I'm warming up to the idea of Flip Saunders being given a shot with the program. He would definitely qualify as a splash hire, and he has tons of credibility and name recognition nationwide. He would be one of the only guys that could come in and legitimately have a shot at bringing in the TC3.

I am assuming we have no real shot at Smart. In that case Saunders is the best bet- he knows the local young guys, has been scouting their games and is a pro coach who would love to coach the Gophers. I am betting that he would also do it the first year on the cheap to help the U through the buyout. We have tried the up and comer route here and as we all know- it's dicey. Tubby was supposed to give the program the shot in the arm that put it in better position long term. He hasn't accomplished that. In fact he has made it appear to the outside world that you cannot win at Minnesota. Brutal.

I am assuming we have no real shot at Smart. In that case Saunders is the best bet- he knows the local young guys, has been scouting their games and is a pro coach who would love to coach the Gophers. I am betting that he would also do it the first year on the cheap to help the U through the buyout. We have tried the up and comer route here and as we all know- it's dicey. Tubby was supposed to give the program the shot in the arm that put it in better position long term. He hasn't accomplished that. In fact he has made it appear to the outside world that you cannot win at Minnesota. Brutal.
This is the worst part, we hired a formely big name coach who has become an extremely lazy practice and game coach; making this look like a program you cannot win coaching.

Honestly. I think he seems lost at times.

The coaching staff seems lost many times and there is no leadership on the floor to pull them out of tailspins once they start. It is amazing how one minute this looks like a great team and the next they look like a bunch of guys that have never played basketball before.

No up and coming mid-major coach in his right mind would take this job if Tubby got axed after getting the Gophers back in the tourney.

Minnesota does have a history of treating its departing coaches with some nice buyouts though.

In fairness, there is a lot to be said for a tough conference and tough to win on the road and all that, but we looked like garbage for the last 30 minutes.
This is exactly my thoughts. Unfortunately, it has been this way the last three weeks. Just as important, keeping Tubby right now will cost him Dre Hollins and two Ellensons. Dre is too good to play here for Tubby. One look at Rodney (or Colton I at csu) will scare any good prospect from here. The Mavericks of the world will keep us at PSU and NW level forever w TeleTubby.

That's why this has to happen after the thrashing they'll get at Ohio St. Let Bayno finish the year.

I have tried to stick by Tubby, because the cache of his name recognition has been worth a lot to the program....but I am trying to think of other teams who can be so simply thrown into confusion by the other team playing a zone.

Our offense just doesn't make sense, we have players in positions they won't be successful.

Elliot or Trevor should never catch the ball outside of the paint, ever. On the block only.

Joe (outside of one Ill. game) is not a shooter, so why is he catching the ball on the wing against the zone?...the wing defender doesn't have to close out to him, because is not going to look shoot from there. Joe should be the guy catching it in the middle of the zone, because he can shoot, pass, drive from there. Same thing goes for a healthy Rodney. Either one of these guys catching it on the perimeter is stagnant.

Dre and Austin...shoot when you are open, and for god's sake drive to the hoop and score or get fouled before someone turns it over. I'm convinced that we are way too patient, we need to attack more. Be aggressive, get more shots up, and attack offensive boards.

If we can somehow hobble our way into the tournament, we might actually do okay....unless the team has watched any film and decides to play a zone against us.

That's the other thing, how are we not better prepared for teams like NW and Iowa to play a zone against us...they do it every time, and it's a wonder why every B1G team doesn't...

I have tried to stick by Tubby, because the cache of his name recognition has been worth a lot to the program....but I am trying to think of other teams who can be so simply thrown into confusion by the other team playing a zone.

Our offense just doesn't make sense, we have players in positions they won't be successful.

Elliot or Trevor should never catch the ball outside of the paint, ever. On the block only.

Joe (outside of one Ill. game) is not a shooter, so why is he catching the ball on the wing against the zone?...the wing defender doesn't have to close out to him, because is not going to look shoot from there. Joe should be the guy catching it in the middle of the zone, because he can shoot, pass, drive from there. Same thing goes for a healthy Rodney. Either one of these guys catching it on the perimeter is stagnant.

Dre and Austin...shoot when you are open, and for god's sake drive to the hoop and score or get fouled before someone turns it over. I'm convinced that we are way too patient, we need to attack more. Be aggressive, get more shots up, and attack offensive boards.

If we can somehow hobble our way into the tournament, we might actually do okay....unless the team has watched any film and decides to play a zone against us.

That's the other thing, how are we not better prepared for teams like NW and Iowa to play a zone against us...they do it every time, and it's a wonder why every B1G team doesn't...

Great analysis, let EE run high low against zone though.

I wish those numbers were realistic. I'd say the chances of him being fired after winning a tournament game are closer to 0%. Even losing in the first round, I find it highly unlikely that he's fired.

I'm concerned.

I want to wait until the end of the season to make a final choice. All about tourney success.

Sweet 16 or better - 100% he stays.

Round of 32 - 50% he stays.

Round of 64 - 25% he stays.

Misses the tourney - fired that day

I agree with your take and also think we need to play more Elliason and Ingram and less Coleman, and much much less Maverick. Go to a traditional two guard lineup with Dre and Austin, and let Trevor and Elliason lead the front court with either Williams or better yet Ingram in to provide a little muscle.

Top Bottom