Gopher Football storylines and questions this Spring

hungan1

Reaction score
There are many storylines and questions this Spring than Kirk Ciarrocca working with Tanner Morgan and Athan Kaliakmanis.

There are question marks for the Offense and Defense. With significant losses through graduation and early departures, the Spring Game will tell a lot.

The bigger question is, will the team trend up or down in wins and losses in 2022?

There are three parts to the answer to this question:

a. the development of the backup and red-shirt players
b. who the Gophers acquire through the Transfer Portal
c. how the rest of the Big West compare to the Gophers

History indicates that a downward trend happens after such losses of key players.

However, the Gophers have sustained relative program stability under PJ Fleck. The players have fully established the culture and the leadership roles. They have esprit de corps. They are fundamentally sound in coaching and player development. I don't think they are at the level of Iowa and this juncture in PJ Fleck's tenure. Most likely not quite there yet. If they are even close to Iowa, they potentially can buck the typical downward trend or mitigate it after significant losses of players.

How will the Offensive Line look? How serious is John Micheal Schmitz's lower leg injury? He is a god-send deciding to play an extra year as the signal-caller for the offensive line. We would like to see blocking Tight Ends step up to fill the void left behind by Ko Kieft.

Will Joe Rossi maintain another great defensive production with the backup and red-shirt players waiting for their turn? How will the acquisition of new experienced players for the Defensive Line and defensive backfield (linebackers, cornerbacks, safeties) pan out? They are getting more speed in the defensive secondary.

With Kirk Ciarrocca back in the fold and Matt Simon taking coaching responsibilities of both the quarterbacks and wide receivers (confirmed?), will we see more production in the passing game? Chris Autman-Bell returning is a big plus. We expect more out of Dylan Wright, Mike Brown-Stephens, and Daniel Jackson after a season of playing experience. Will they utilize Brevyn Spann-Ford and other Tight Ends more as pass catchers? We would like to see how far some of the wide receivers waiting in the wings have come along.

I couldn't be happier for Tanner Morgan with Kirk Ciarrocca returning as Offensive Coordinator. It is exciting to finally see Athan Kaliakmanis play. How will the Gopher utilize a mobile quarterback? It will be exciting to see how KC will adapt or change the offensive scheme with AK at quarterback.

There is an opportunity for situational game-planing offensively based on who the opponent is. We hope to see the Offense being less predictable.

The 2019 Gophers team had roughly a 60/40 run-pass ratio. The 2021 Gophers were very run-heavy. I don't know if that was all Mike Sanford Jr's scheme or if it was out of necessity with the Wide Receiving Corps' inexperience.

I'd like to see the Gophers change the run-pass ratio depending on the opponents' strengths and weaknesses. It will be fun to see an explosive passing attack with a legitimate running threat and a mobile quarterback to boot if Athan Kaliakmanis ever starts.

That brings a final thought. If Athan blows up in the Spring practices over Tanner, will PJ Fleck still pick Tanner as the starter?

Last edited:

Great write-up and topic. The development of the o-line will be intriguing. Who's developing at tackle and guard and do we have depth? Seems like we have very little indication whether these guys are capable. I think Ersery should be solid on one side. Nathan Boe, Rushmeyer and Shaw should be serviceable on the interior, but beyond that it's unknown.

Anybody heard anything regarding the development of guys like JJ Guedet, Tyrell Lawrence, Tyler Cooper, Martes Lewis? Who's playing tackle?

Great write-up and topic. The development of the o-line will be intriguing. Who's developing at tackle and guard and do we have depth? Seems like we have very little indication whether these guys are capable. I think Ersery should be solid on one side. Nathan Boe, Rushmeyer and Shaw should be serviceable on the interior, but beyond that it's unknown.

Anybody heard anything regarding the development of guys like JJ Guedet, Tyrell Lawrence, Tyler Cooper, Martes Lewis? Who's playing tackle?
Ersery and Guedet were good when they have played.

Transfer portal changes things to allow PJ to add people in spots he feels we need to plug holes.
Transfers were very helpful to our success in 2021 and will be next year too.

There are many storylines and questions this Spring than Kirk Ciarrocca working with Tanner Morgan and Athan Kaliakmanis.

There are question marks for the Offense and Defense. With significant losses through graduation and early departures, the Spring Game will tell a lot.

The bigger question is, will the team trend up or down in wins and losses in 2022?

History indicates that a downward trend happens after such losses of key players.

However, the Gophers have sustained relative program stability under PJ Fleck. The players have fully established the culture and the leadership roles. They have esprit de corps. They are fundamentally sound in coaching and player development. I don't think they are at the level of Iowa and this juncture in PJ Fleck's tenure. Most likely not quite there yet. If they are even close to Iowa, they potentially can buck the typical downward trend or mitigate it after significant losses of players.

How will the Offensive Line look? How serious is John Micheal Schmitz's lower leg injury? He is a god-send deciding to play an extra year as the signal-caller for the offensive line. We would like to see blocking Tight Ends step up to fill the void left behind by Ko Kieft.

Will Joe Rossi maintain another great defensive production with the backup and red-shirt players waiting for their turn? How will the acquisition of new experienced players for the Defensive Line and defensive backfield (linebackers, cornerbacks, safeties) pan out? They are getting more speed in the defensive secondary.

With Kirk Ciarrocca back in the fold and Matt Simon taking coaching responsibilities of both the quarterbacks and wide receivers (confirmed?), will we see more production in the passing game? Chris Autman-Bell returning is a big plus. We expect more out of Dylan Wright, Mike Brown-Stephens, and Daniel Jackson after a season of playing experience. Will they utilize Brevyn Spann-Ford and other Tight Ends more as pass catchers? We would like to see how far some of the wide receivers waiting in the wings have come along.

I couldn't be happier for Tanner Morgan with Kirk Ciarrocca returning as Offensive Coordinator. It is exciting to finally see Athan Kaliakmanis play. How will the Gopher utilize a mobile quarterback? It will be exciting to see how KC will adapt or change the offensive scheme with AK at quarterback.

There is an opportunity for situational game-planing offensively based on who the opponent is. We hope to see the Offense being less predictable.

The 2019 Gophers team had roughly a 60/40 run-pass ratio. The 2021 Gophers were very run-heavy. I don't know if that was all Mike Sanford Jr's scheme or if it was out of necessity with the Wide Receiving Corps' inexperience.

I'd like to see the Gophers change the run-pass ratio depending on the opponents' strengths and weaknesses. It will be fun to see an explosive passing attack with a legitimate running threat and a mobile quarterback to boot if Athan Kaliakmanis ever starts.

That brings a final thought. If Athan blows up in the Spring practices over Tanner, will PJ Fleck still pick Tanner as the starter?
Great post.

Why so much talk about Athan? It’s confusing. He didn’t have a senior season and I don’t believe he was on campus for Spring practice. I don’t get why there are multiple bullet points for him.

Nice reporting. I find your very last sentence to be the most intriguing.

Why so much talk about Athan? It’s confusing. He didn’t have a senior season and I don’t believe he was on campus for Spring practice. I don’t get why there are multiple bullet points for him.

Because the backup QB(s) is/are always the most popular players on any football team, as far as the fan base is concerned.

The backup QB is a legend in our minds. We can build a guy up into Superman, as long as he never sees the field. Once he actually plays, we see, inevitably, that he's human and we start pining for the next guy down the bench.

Hey, why no love for Cole Kramer? He's mobile. He's smart and tough. Oh, yeah; we've seen him play. He's pretty good, but he can't leap over tall buildings like the guy down the bench can.

Because the backup QB(s) is/are always the most popular players on any football team, as far as the fan base is concerned.

The backup QB is a legend in our minds. We can build a guy up into Superman, as long as he never sees the field. Once he actually plays, we see, inevitably, that he's human and we start pining for the next guy down the bench.

There's a lot of truth to that but Athan was also the highest rated QB recruited here from the prep ranks in a long time. Naturally people are going to be anxious to see him play.

The Spring game will tell us a lot about Athan, as he will see substantial playing time. I am very curious to see how he plays and if he ends up being as good as advertised. I am also curious to see our secondary and OL and who steps up in the next 9 months. I am excited to seAnff in recruiting?

I know we went into this year knowing we had 3 solid NFL prospects. Who are this years NFL prospects? Oliver has to be one. Morgan? CAB? Ibriham? Anyone else on defense?

However, the Gophers have sustained relative program stability under PJ Fleck. The players have fully established the culture and the leadership roles. They have esprit de corps.
The fact that none of our senior NFL prospects opted out of a relatively low rated bowl game speaks volumes about that. People have joked a lot about Fleck's schtick but that culture and esprit de corps stuff is pretty important for a program that doesn't have geography or contemporary history on its side.

According to 247, our highest rated 2022 recruit (by a hair) hails from Shippensburg PA. He had offers from Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, NC State, Mississippi, Pitt, IA State, Nebraska, Syracuse, West Virginia, and Virginia Tech but he came here. I read that he was very impressed during his visit with what we have going here and said: "I want to be part of that."

Question #1 is the O-Line. The Gophers are a run-first team and that is not going to change. Breaking in 4 new starters and a new blocking TE. that is a big deal. This could change if they bring in a presumptive starter through the portal.

Question #2 is replacing all of the missing pieces on defense. It's one thing for a backup to make a splashy play in limited action. It's entirely different when that backup becomes a starter. The defensive coaches have a lot of work to do.

The QB question - to me - is not a question. Tanner Morgan takes virtually every snap this season unless he is injured to a point where he is physically unable to walk onto the field. We'll see what happens with the 'wildcat' set, but Morgan is not coming back to be part of a QB rotation.

I’d still expect a heavy run offense. Maybe instead of 70/30 it will be 60/40 run/pass.

As I have written, I, also am concerned about our OL/DL. Other than getting bigger/stronger in the off season, hard to believe we have that much talent returning. If they were really talented, they would have played more this season.

So in my eyes, we have to really hit the portal hard. Find “new” blood to cover the voids left because of NFL dreams. Looking at the new recruits, I don’t see anyone who will fill that void. Without veteran replacements, I see a season of disappointment for all us GH’S.

As I have written, I, also am concerned about our OL/DL. Other than getting bigger/stronger in the off season, hard to believe we have that much talent returning. If they were really talented, they would have played more this season.

So in my eyes, we have to really hit the portal hard. Find “new” blood to cover the voids left because of NFL dreams. Looking at the new recruits, I don’t see anyone who will fill that void. Without veteran replacements, I see a season of disappointment for all us GH’S.

There have been those who have said that there might be four Gopher offensive linemen drafted into the NFL this year.

Just because a younger player spends a year or two on the bench behind an older player (who has NFL-level talent) don't mean the younger player isn't talented or can't play. He might just be learning, developing and preparing for his eventual shot as starter.

It seems unlikely that any freshman o-lineman could have possibly beaten out any of this past year's starters, no matter how talented the young guy might be. The 2021 Gophers were flat-out loaded with talented senior starters with lots of game experience.

The new starters might turn out to be pretty good. We'll have to wait to find out. They have a tough act to follow, though.

I have a lot of faith in Callahan.

Last edited:

Our OL was talented, dominant, 5th year guys that all stayed healthy. We even rotated in some guys to try and keep them all happy (Dunlop still left). Not sure what the 2nd string guys like Guedet, Ersery, Boe, Shaw and others were to have done to get more playing time. It may take a little time, but I believe next year the O-Line can be good - maybe not as good as this years, but they should be able to hold their own against any D-line. I'm guessing they went against our first group of D-line quite a bit during the season, which helped in their development.
Same thing on the defensive line. We had some seasoned veterans up and down the DL. The younger guys may have been just as talented, but didn't play as the older guys took all the reps.

Watch the Transfer Portal acquisitions between now and April. Also, watch for position changes. The Gopher want to put as much talent and playing time for more players on the field. There will be new blood on the non-kicking side of Special Teams.

The new look of the 2022 Gopher team will be apparent after the Spring Game.

The Gophers will adapt to change by tweaking their schemes and putting the personnel groupings together based on talent, experience, and needs. It will hopefully give them the best chances for a successful season.

Hopefully, they can buck the downward trend.

60/40 is perfect for us.
2019 was 60/40, and that 40% passing resulted in 3300 yards and a whopping 31 passing TDs (even with the Green Line being employed). Passing attempts were actually a tad more than 40%, because sacks on passing attempt are counted as negative yardage rushing attempts. The 60% rushing downs resulted in 2600 yards and 25 TDs. The big difference between 2019 and 2021 is that in 2021, our 70/30 run/pass ratio produced, on passing downs, only 2100 yards and 12 passing TDs. This is a stunning difference. To return to 2019 status, we need to adjust the ratio back to something normal (60/40), but more importantly we need to have more success/better results on the passing plays called.

2019 was 60/40, and that 40% passing resulted in 3300 yards and a whopping 31 passing TDs (even with the Green Line being employed). Passing attempts were actually a tad more than 40%, because sacks on passing attempt are counted as negative yardage rushing attempts. The 60% rushing downs resulted in 2600 yards and 25 TDs. The big difference between 2019 and 2021 is that in 2021, our 70/30 run/pass ratio produced, on passing downs, only 2100 yards and 12 passing TDs. This is a stunning difference. To return to 2019 status, we need to adjust the ratio back to something normal (60/40), but more importantly we need to have more success/better results on the passing plays called.
That was the killer in 2021 under Sanford, Jr., the quarterback exterminator. Predictable and unimaginative play-calling caused the Gophers a win or two.

I'm not in the camp that anyone other than Tanner Morgan should be starting next season, but I think when you read the tea leaves, it's pretty clear to me that Athan passed ZA and Clark on the depth chart.

I don't think Zack transfers if he is #2 on the depth chart. When you look at the transfer portal there just isn't an obvious better landing spot for him to play. If he was still the backup, he'd be backing up a QB who struggled last year and he'd be an injury away from a ton of PT. He'd also be all but guaranteed to be starting in 2023. If he was still #2 heading into next season here, I just don't know if Zack will end up in a better situation than that. The same analysis could be said for Clark. I don't think he transfers out if he was the guy who passed ZA on the depth chart.

He is the highest rated QB recruit we've had in years and (IMO) I think he passed two upperclassmen on the depth chart.

I'm not in the camp that anyone other than Tanner Morgan should be starting next season, but I think when you read the tea leaves, it's pretty clear to me that Athan passed ZA and Clark on the depth chart.

I don't think Zack transfers if he is #2 on the depth chart. When you look at the transfer portal there just isn't an obvious better landing spot for him to play. If he was still the backup, he'd be backing up a QB who struggled last year and he'd be an injury away from a ton of PT. He'd also be all but guaranteed to be starting in 2023. If he was still #2 heading into next season here, I just don't know if Zack will end up in a better situation than that. The same analysis could be said for Clark. I don't think he transfers out if he was the guy who passed ZA on the depth chart.

He is the highest rated QB recruit we've had in years and (IMO) I think he passed two upperclassmen on the depth chart.
You could definitely be correct. I haven’t seen him throw a pass since he was a junior in HS. Hopefully he is great but expectations should be that Morgan is the starter.

1. Athan and his brother Dino committed early sophomore year. Athan was highly touted and essentially concluded his recruitment very early into his career. He was rated a 4 star shortly thereafter. His season was cut short junior year due to a shoulder injury and senior season was postponed due to Covid. So you essentially have a QB that was rated a 4 Star as a sophomore and has not been updated due to extenuating circumstances. Also, it was pretty well known of his plans to enroll early, so that did not happen due to his season moving to spring. No way for him to get ready in time for the fall.
2. Illinois moved the football season to the spring. Athan played, and in addition to All State Honors, and an undefeated season, was named Illinois Gatorade Player of the Year.

if you Google his name, you can see his senior year highlights.

1. Athan and his brother Dino committed early sophomore year. Athan was highly touted and essentially concluded his recruitment very early into his career. He was rated a 4 star shortly thereafter. His season was cut short junior year due to a shoulder injury and senior season was postponed due to Covid. So you essentially have a QB that was rated a 4 Star as a sophomore and has not been updated due to extenuating circumstances. Also, it was pretty well known of his plans to enroll early, so that did not happen due to his season moving to spring. No way for him to get ready in time for the fall.
2. Illinois moved the football season to the spring. Athan played, and in addition to All State Honors, and an undefeated season, was named Illinois Gatorade Player of the Year.

Thanks for the post! I didn't realize Illinois moved their season to spring.

2021:

2019:

2018:

Watch the Transfer Portal acquisitions between now and April. Also, watch for position changes. The Gopher want to put as much talent and playing time for more players on the field. There will be new blood on the non-kicking side of Special Teams.

The new look of the 2022 Gopher team will be apparent after the Spring Game.

The Gophers will adapt to change by tweaking their schemes and putting the personnel groupings together based on talent, experience, and needs. It will hopefully give them the best chances for a successful season.

Hopefully, they can buck the downward trend.
I also expect some slight tweaks (nothing major) to the types of plays/formations/personnel we use.

A couple wrinkles I wouldn't be surprised if we see:
(1) A bit more 3 S downs. Our base defense was a 4-2-5 with 3 CBs and I think that will still be the case. However, I think we'll see Rossi find ways to get Michael Dixon on the field quite a bit more next season. This is easier against power running teams but I think because of Nubin & Howden's versatility, we'll see it more and more (with Dixon replacing LBs on some sets and CBs on other sets).

(2) A second RB in the slot. I think we didn't see this as often the last couple of years because it would have taken Kieft or BSF off the field. The threat of Irving going in motion across the formation will really help keeping the weakside DE from crashing. Because Bucky is pretty dynamic with the ball and has looked good receiving, he would also be a big part of the passing game. I trust KC to find ways to get our dynamic players on the field. Some of this depends upon how much we get out of Potts and Mo.

(3) More fades. This isn't a new wrinkle more like the return of an old wrinkle. We have two guys who are pretty good with the ball in the air (Wright and CAB) and another that you would think would be pretty good at jump balls (BSF). Tanner throws a really nice fade and it's a low risk (hard to sack and few int) throw to counter a stacked box. It's baffling Sanford stopped throwing this pass.

Top Bottom