Gopher Football Scrimmage

The_Barftender

Reaction score
Saturday the Gophers had two practices, including a short scrimmage of about 60 plays that was open to the public. With many starters held out for various precautionary reasons, they used this opportunity to show off some of their young talent

Quarterbacks Seth Green and, Demry Croft both played solid and completed deep passes to WR’s Tyler Johnson and Adam Mayer. Starting QB Mitch Lender used this scrimmage to solidity the Gophers short passing game. He completed a number of screens and completions to Bryce Witham.

In the absence of RB Shannon Brooks who is out for a few weeks with an injury, junior college transfer Kobe McCrary, and redshirt freshman James Johannesson took advantage of their carries. McCrary showed his ability to make people miss in the hole. While Johannesson banged and bruised to find openings. The two will provide some great depth for an already talented backfield.

While the Gophers wide receivers struggled at times to get open. Newcomer Tyler Johnson shined by grabbing a 40-yard-deep post for touchdown. Redshirt sophomore Melvin Holland Jr also had a big play, catching a fly route for a touchdown down the sidelines.

Star CB Jalen Myrick didn’t take too many snaps so redshirt freshmen Ray Bluford and Dior Johnson took on the burden. Each having two key pass breakups while in man-on-man coverage.

The Gophers defensive line had an impressive performance. They constantly caused havoc for the 1’s and 2’s on offensive. Minnesota’s D-Line had stretches of dominance throughout the scrimmage including three consecutive sacks. freshman defensive lineman Tai’yon Devers had a bunny like burst off the line. Look for him to be causing problems for opposing defenses this fall.

Summary:

The Gophers had flashes of strong play on both sides of the ball. The big question remains will they be able to protect Mitch Lender in the passing game? If they can sure up that part of their game, then they should be legit contenders in the B1G Ten We

Thanks for the info!

I didn't think the d-line was impressive. The ones on the o-line were shoving them downfield 5 yards consistently. Seth Green moved the ball, but it was ugly. Any pressure, and he had no touch on his throws. Mark Williams scrambled well;Kobe McCrary was nimble and powerful. Taiyon Devers was terrific off the edge, but he won't be causing problems for opposing defenses this fall: he only weighs 215, and will hopefully be redshirted this year. Offense looked much improved overall!

thanks for the report, love the RB depth.

Taiyon Devers was terrific off the edge, but he won't be causing problems for opposing defenses this fall: he only weighs 215, and will hopefully be redshirted this year.

I'd love em all to RS, but anyone who can help must play. You do recall that our most effective pass rusher last year was a true Fr LB, right?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Saturday the Gophers had two practices, including a short scrimmage of about 60 plays that was open to the public. With many starters held out for various precautionary reasons, they used this opportunity to show off some of their young talent

Quarterbacks Seth Green and, Demry Croft both played solid and completed deep passes to WR’s Tyler Johnson and Adam Mayer. Starting QB Mitch Lender used this scrimmage to solidity the Gophers short passing game. He completed a number of screens and completions to Bryce Witham.

In the absence of RB Shannon Brooks who is out for a few weeks with an injury, junior college transfer Kobe McCrary, and redshirt freshman James Johannesson took advantage of their carries. McCrary showed his ability to make people miss in the hole. While Johannesson banged and bruised to find openings. The two will provide some great depth for an already talented backfield.

While the Gophers wide receivers struggled at times to get open. Newcomer Tyler Johnson shined by grabbing a 40-yard-deep post for touchdown. Redshirt sophomore Melvin Holland Jr also had a big play, catching a fly route for a touchdown down the sidelines.

Star CB Jalen Myrick didn’t take too many snaps so redshirt freshmen Ray Bluford and Dior Johnson took on the burden. Each having two key pass breakups while in man-on-man coverage.

The Gophers defensive line had an impressive performance. They constantly caused havoc for the 1’s and 2’s on offensive. Minnesota’s D-Line had stretches of dominance throughout the scrimmage including three consecutive sacks. freshman defensive lineman Tai’yon Devers had a bunny like burst off the line. Look for him to be causing problems for opposing defenses this fall.

Summary:

The Gophers had flashes of strong play on both sides of the ball. The big question remains will they be able to protect Mitch Lender in the passing game? If they can sure up that part of their game, then they should be legit contenders in the B1G Ten We

Thanks for the recap!

This is why I love the Internet. Best written practice coverage comes not from traditional media but a poster on the Gopherhole named "The_Barftender".

Love the name by the way.

This is why I love the Internet. Best written practice coverage comes not from traditional media but a poster on the Gopherhole named "The_Barftender".

Love the name by the way.
"Best written" is a stretch. Most thorough and informative, I agree wholeheartedly. Big ups to the barfman!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hey Barfman - thanks for the report. It seems like in my younger days, we may have met(sorry to say).

Top Bottom