GOPHER FOOTBALL: Minnesota Adds 33 on National Signing Day

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Per the U:

Gophers Add 33 on National Signing Day

The University of Minnesota added 33 players to its roster today on national signing day. Head coach P.J. Fleck and his staff signed players from 14 states and two countries.

The class consists of 10 position groups, 16 offensive players, 15 defensive players and two special teamers.

On offense, Minnesota signed two quarterbacks, two running backs, two tight ends, five offensive linemen and five wide receivers. On defense, the Gophers added four defensive linemen, five linebackers and six defensive backs.

The Gophers added 11 players from Minnesota, five from Illinois and two from Florida, Georgia, Indiana and Wisconsin. Minnesota also added Louisiana, Michigan, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia. Minnesota also added Canadian Drew Viotto, who played high school football in Michigan.

Quarterback
Drew Viotto, Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, Canada, Walled Lake Western High School
Max Shikenjanski, Stillwater, Minn., Stillwater High School

Running Back
Darius Taylor, Detroit, Mich., Walled Lake Western High School
Marquese Williams, Harrisburg, Pa., Bishop McDevitt High School

Wide Receiver
Donielle Hayes, Pensacola, Fla., Pine Forest High School
T.J. McWilliams, Indianapolis, Ind., North Central High School
Kenric Lanier II, Decatur, Ga., Decatur High School
Corey Crooms Jr., Country Club Hills, Ill., Western Michigan
Elijah Spencer, Irmo, S.C., Charlotte

Tight End
Pierce Walsh, Downers Grove, Ill., Benet Academy
Sam Peters, Maple Grove, Minn., Maple Grove High School

Offensive Line
Jerome Williams, Osseo, Minn., Osseo High School
Greg Johnson, Prior Lake, Minn., Prior Lake High School
Reese Tripp, Mantorville, Minn., Kasson-Mantorville High School
De'Eric Mister, Gary, Ind., West Side High School
Phillip Daniels, Cincinnati, Ohio, Princeton High School

Defensive Line
Theorin Randle, Houston, Texas, Shadow Creek High School
Karter Menz, Horace, N.D., Sheyenne High School
Martin Owusu, Prior Lake, Minn., Prior Lake High School
Chris Collins, Richmond, Va., North Carolina

Linebacker
Matt Kingsbury, Chicago, Ill., St. Rita High School
Alex Elliott, Hutchinson, Minn., Hutchinson High School
Drew Wilson, Mequon, Wis., Homestead High School
Zander Rockow, Eau Claire, Wis., Regis High School
Ryan Selig, Western Michigan, Lindenhurst, Ill.

Defensive Back
Za'Quan Bryan, Savannah, Ga., Benedictine Military School
Garrison Monroe, Shakopee, Minn., Shakopee High School
Ethan Carrier, Detroit Lakes, Minn., Detroit Lakes High School
Jackson Powers, Maple Grove, Minn., Maple Grove High School
Kerry Brown, Naples, Fla., Naples High School
Jack Henderson, Mandeville, La., Southeastern Louisiana

Longsnapper
Ryan Algrim, Elburn, Ill., Kaneland High School

Punter
Caleb McGrath, Apple Valley, Minn., Eastview High School

33 caught me off guard but makes, forgot about the walkons.

Welcome to all the new Gophers, will be interesting to see how their careers pan out.

really like the RB, WR, & Oline class
A little underwelmed on the defensive side of the ball. But do like Bryan & Brown

and yes i know....its only signing day. and none of us know how these guys will turn out.

I'm one of those guys that has no idea how a class plays out on signing day. For the Gophers style of football, and really for nationally relevant teams, we'll know in about three years when the young linemen mature enough to play big minutes. The continued development of strong lines year after year is what differentiates the best from the rest. Other than QB which is tougher, the skill positions can be supplemented more quickly via transfers and even recruits that are ready to play quickly.

That said, the Gophs have a few nice in-state pickups of big men and supplemented with some good looking skill player recruits. It looks like an offense heavy class at first glance while some past classes emphasized more defense.

They really got some big dude's on the O-line for this class. Those are some grown ass dude's for their young age. Imagine all of these guy's once they age and start to get their man strength. By far one of the best groups of O-linemen in a long time. Both Prior Lake Guy's Johnson and Owusu, this is going to be building blocks of a new "Empire class II". The two running backs Taylor and Williams are good backs, that look like they can contribute to the current group. That defensive back from Shakopee Monroe, he is going to be a surprise to a lot of folks that we have that type of player in our back yard. Really think this is going to be one of the better in-State recruiting class in a long time. Williams for Osseo is already a mamoth human, and the guy can move for such a big dude.

Last edited:

I like the class overall. Love the wide receiver transfers.

Should be a whole new offense next year. Ready for the AK era.

33 caught me off guard but makes, forgot about the walkons.

Welcome to all the new Gophers, will be interesting to see how their careers pan out.
You can sign as many as you want now as long as the schollies don’t exceed 85 come fall.

I was unaware that Caleb McGrath can punt with either leg.

That's pretty dang cool!

He seemed to have kept Minnesota players home. At least he didn't appear to have lost any to another B1G school.

Nice class and as a fan I welcome all these guys to the program. All good guys ready to work hard and contribute.

He seemed to have kept Minnesota players home. At least he didn't appear to have lost any to another B1G school.
Yeah I hated when Sconnie for a while would come in and poach a bunch of good players. Glad that’s mostly over.

Interesting article on NIL By Dan Wetzel,

Despite fears and 'sky is falling' rhetoric, signing day proves NIL didn't ruin college football​

Top Bottom