Gopher Fans a Joke?

lakesgopher

Reaction score
I have been on GH for a while and I'm trying to figure out if the majority of GopherNation is a joke? All I ever read on here is why the Gopher's suck, why Brewster sucks, why Maturi should be fired, and most of all why Weber is the worst qb in Gopher history. Personally, I think Weber is equal to Cupito w/o the running game. I guess it's beoming hard to understand what many believe are realistic expectations, Brewster did say he wants to build championship football and go to a Rose Bowl, yes the guy is super positive-was he to come in after mason and say he wants to win some games in the future? Get real, I get that we all have concerns but do many of you really think we are winning 2-3 more games with gray last year instead of weber? what's the basis? because he is faster? because he had 4 stars by his name in rivals? we can't run the ball-no qb is going to have big time success with our running game-unless we go shotgun and never run the ball again. it really stresses me out how many of you guys have given up before the season even gets here.

I think Weber is better then Cupito as i stated in one of my previous threads. And I also said he shouldnt be benched for Gray. And I know im not the only fan who thinks this

WELL PUT. THANKS.

I have been on GH for a while and I'm trying to figure out if the majority of GopherNation is a joke? All I ever read on here is why the Gopher's suck, why Brewster sucks, why Maturi should be fired, and most of all why Weber is the worst qb in Gopher history. Personally, I think Weber is equal to Cupito w/o the running game. I guess it's beoming hard to understand what many believe are realistic expectations, Brewster did say he wants to build championship football and go to a Rose Bowl, yes the guy is super positive-was he to come in after mason and say he wants to win some games in the future? Get real, I get that we all have concerns but do many of you really think we are winning 2-3 more games with gray last year instead of weber? what's the basis? because he is faster? because he had 4 stars by his name in rivals? we can't run the ball-no qb is going to have big time success with our running game-unless we go shotgun and never run the ball again. it really stresses me out how many of you guys have given up before the season even gets here.

+10. Thanks for stating the truth. This Board has turned into an anti-Gophers forum. Bah!

I think Weber is better then Cupito as i stated in one of my previous threads. And I also said he shouldnt be benched for Gray. And I know im not the only fan who thinks this

I don't know if Gray can play QB in the Big 10 or not. What I do know after watching both Cupito and Weber play QB for the Gophers is that Cupito was a much more accurate passer than Weber, and he made nowhere near the number of bad decisions that Weber has made with the ball in his hand. Weber is not a Big 10 quality QB and this coming season has the potential to be a real disaster with him running the team. It could get ugly in a real hurry.

The trolling & negativity on this board has gotten really bad. I wouldn't read much into it actually --- the ease of access and anonymity make for a rambunctious board that is only partially representative of the fan base.

I don't know if Gray can play QB in the Big 10 or not. What I do know after watching both Cupito and Weber play QB for the Gophers is that Cupito was a much more accurate passer than Weber, and he made nowhere near the number of bad decisions that Weber has made with the ball in his hand. Weber is not a Big 10 quality QB and this coming season has the potential to be a real disaster with him running the team. It could get ugly in a real hurry.

Are we really forgetting that Cupito had 5 1000 yd + rushing seasons supporting him in 3 yrs as starting qb? The best single season individual rushing total anyone has had in the Weber era was 736 yds, and that was by Weber himself.

The trolling & negativity on this board has gotten really bad. I wouldn't read much into it actually --- the ease of access and anonymity make for a rambunctious board that is only partially representative of the fan base.

I don't know who you are referring to but I would guess that I have been a Gopher football fan and season ticketholder for longer than many regular posters in GopherHole have been alive. I know a good QB when I see one. Weber is not a Big 10 quality QB. We have lots of evidence over the last several year that supports this statement. This is not negativity - it is recognition of reality. This is what most sports fans do whether they are in a bar or on an internet message board.

technical issues were laid with Offensive line and lack of a running game.

Many of those of us that wanted to see Weber benched last year, did this with the fact that we were tired of seeing the guy get sacked and do that spin move into a sack play with all of those passes bouncing to the ground at players feet. The thought wasn't so much that Weber suck's and that the other guy really is that much better but we have seen this movie for 2 years before and offense on the field is stagnant, and the leadership really isn't any better with the wideouts, than it was or ever has been. There were technical issues with the line play and chemistry last year but those actually improved as the year went on especially the last 5 games or so. I can say it as I criticized him a lot but Wills improved a heck of a lot at Right tackle and was starting to give the QB some time and show himself to be a Big 10 player. Then the issue became a lack of route running, no running game and the ability for a WR to create or make adjustments or making something happen if the initial reads or plays broke down, it wasn't there and the coaching at that WR spot seemed really weak. That and the escapability of the QB seemed overcoached to the point of hang in the pocket and do not run, which is one of A Weber's strengths.

The hope was with Gray's athleticism he would shake loose a few big runs or create something out of nothing on a broken play, maybe a spark and the Gophers get on a roll and get a little momentumn going on offense so the defense doesn't have to play the entire game. That said the coaches saw the fumbling problems and not protecting the ball in practice and knew better. They did not want to shatter the kid's confidence. The coaches were right in holding Gray back.

I'm not down on Weber so much as the need to have some resemblance of a running game. We were spoiled in the past, we had some exceptional backs and a system that complimented those talents well. Weber is a capable QB, he actually has a decent arm but needs to show some leaderhsip and some chemistry with the WR's, that and actually win some games this fall to be remembered as a good QB. Now that we are rid of the hobbit in Fisch and have some real football coaches as coordinators I am actually expecting a better than average fall for the Gophers. Fisch was a disaster for the QB and the offense as a whole. Expectations should be better not lower if we can find a tailback, there is a lot of experience on the offensive side and some physical maturity, they should have some higher expectations on O.

We are dealing with a lot of uniformed "fans" who want instant gratification. Some don't realize that that Gophers are more than one player away from being a serious contender for a BT title. There are many needs other than the QB spot.

I think Brewster erred coming into Minnesota talking big-time-blockbuster-like using terms like the Rose Bowl and BT championships. These are things uncommon and foreign to the vast majority of Gopher fans. Some have taken his comments to heart and expect results; now. In the meantime, many here know that is a huge task and may not happen for some time, even not at all. Thus the malcontents and should be handled as misplaced has stated.

There's more complaining on this board about the complainers than about the Gophers. Boo, hoo. Some people don't like the Gophers as much as you or have higher expectations than you. Just get over it.

I think Brewster erred coming into Minnesota talking big-time-blockbuster-like using terms like the Rose Bowl and BT championships.

Ever think that he wasn't saying those things for fans but to recruits? To get good players, many of them need to believe that they can have success at a school. He was saying it to them, and any "fan" that gets upset about a coach wanting to win championships can suck it.

Go to the message board of any middle of the pack team and you will find negativity.

Ignore it if it bothers you.

Ever think that he wasn't saying those things for fans but to recruits? To get good players, many of them need to believe that they can have success at a school. He was saying it to them, and any "fan" that gets upset about a coach wanting to win championships can suck it.

I think this a really good point, but at some point the Gophers need to start winning, so Brew can continue to sell this to recruits. I like Brew's attitude and lofty expectations, but he needs to deliver in the next 2-3 years in the win-loss column. I know we are progressing and moving in the right direction, but pretty soon, all of the players will be Brewster recruits and he won't have the excuse of it isn't his players in the system.

There's more complaining on this board about the complainers than about the Gophers. Boo, hoo. Some people don't like the Gophers as much as you or have higher expectations than you. Just get over it.

This guy obviously is missing the point.

We are dealing with a lot of uniformed "fans" who want instant gratification. Some don't realize that that Gophers are more than one player away from being a serious contender for a BT title. There are many needs other than the QB spot.

I didn't realize there was a dress code.

I agree about the instant gratification. OTOH, Brewster made his own bed by creating high expectations. Don't promise what you can't deliver. If Brewster had said on day 1 it would take 4 seasons to get to the Outback bowl instead of yelling "Pasadena!" at every opportunity there wouldn't be as much griping on this board right now.

I have to agree that the negativity sucks around here but you can't blame people. I am sick of losing to the likes of Wiscy and the Pigs from the South. It was easier to be nonchalant about losing in the Metrodome but when you shell out $1600 a year to see your beloved Gophers play in the new TCF stadium... you begin to expect something in return. Brewster has one year left and if he can't turn things around this year than he has to be shown the door! When you really look at where this program is compared to 4 years ago under Mason...you have to be dissapointed. Brewster has a bigger recruiting budget and 100% better facilities to bring top atheletes to the U. However, the only difference I see is that we are playing higher caliber teams and an overall harder schedule. Brewster's recruiting rankings have gone down recently and this is the time when we should be talking about stud players he recruited 2-3 years ago. I am personally looking forward to the season but some players are really going to have to step up and have career years for this year to be a success. Go Gophers!

+10. Thanks for stating the truth. This Board has turned into an anti-Gophers forum. Bah!

I am convinced PantherHawk has at least 5 aliases on this board.

Also, I´ve said it before and I´ll say it again. There are a lot of people on this board who claim to be Gopher fans but really just want somewhere to vent frustrations accumulated from their mundane lives. Some of them are former Gopher fans who have become bitter misers in their old age. Others are too ignorant of college football to see the obvious strides the Gophers have made in recruiting, facilities, etc.

MY BOLD SPRING CLEANING PROPOSAL

Here´s a test for all GopherHolers. Go back and check the last 50 posts you´ve made on this board. If 80% or more of your previous 50 posts are negative, then you are NOT a Gopher fan and it´s time for another hobby. Be honest when you do this assessment.

Or, if you don´t want to take the time I´d be more than happy to do it for each and every one of you faux fans. :D

AliBobwa-

My test for you: Go back and read your last 100 posts and if more than 10 of them complain about other posters negativity, admit that the internet just ain't for you.

I am convinced PantherHawk has at least 5 aliases on this board.

Also, I´ve said it before and I´ll say it again. There are a lot of people on this board who claim to be Gopher fans but really just want somewhere to vent frustrations accumulated from their mundane lives. Some of them are former Gopher fans who have become bitter misers in their old age. Others are too ignorant of college football to see the obvious strides the Gophers have made in recruiting, facilities, etc.

MY BOLD SPRING CLEANING PROPOSAL

Here´s a test for all GopherHolers. Go back and check the last 50 posts you´ve made on this board. If 80% or more of your previous 50 posts are negative, then you are NOT a Gopher fan and it´s time for another hobby. Be honest when you do this assessment.

Or, if you don´t want to take the time I´d be more than happy to do it for each and every one of you faux fans. :D

This proposal is completely stupid.

It's kind of like those who say if you criticize the government, you're not a real American. And you should move to Canada.

last year all I thought was-gray and alipate ARE the future...Brew don't be an idiot and destroy their confidence by making them get killed because the oline was so bad! we couldn't run the ball to take pressure off of weber and if gray was to get hurt or even alipate all hell would break loose. people would be screaming about brew feeding them to the wolves with little to no protection. I'm not saying weber is the most gifted of the 3 but gray has proven behind the scenes he isn't ready for the keys to the cadillac, maybe the ford taurus, but nothing else. I too am a season ticket holder-yr 3, and an alum 2006. I know a big ten qb when I see one, weber is the best we have at this point and if not I believe his leash is very short this year.

"I agree about the instant gratification. OTOH, Brewster made his own bed by creating high expectations. Don't promise what you can't deliver. If Brewster had said on day 1 it would take 4 seasons to get to the Outback bowl instead of yelling "Pasadena!" at every opportunity there wouldn't be as much griping on this board right now. "

That's a huge exaggeration. Reusse, KFAN and the more cynical "fans" would have been happy. That said, do you really think that if Brewster would have said, to use your own hyperbole "forget about shooting for a Championship, we're going to SUCK for three or four years before we get the shot to finish THIRD" Gopher fans would have been HAPPY now?

Did you forget that outrage expressed when Mason, after 10 years and 1 Fourth Place finish, said that the 2007 Season would be the start of a majorrebuilding effort?

Brewster or anybody else for that matter, wouldn't have been hired if he took the approach that you suggest.

The first year he had no time to recruit. Then three Defensive Starters, including arguably, the best defensive player on the team got themselves thrown off the team and out of school. He put in a spread offense without the players to run it. Then to top it off, lost all of his top running backs to injuries. That ended-up being the worst season on record. Mason was right.

Even with all that, when they went 7-1 the next year many, many people were on board. Decker goes down, NW runs in an interception to win by a touchdown, they lose their last four, including a 3 point loss to Wisconsin, and the bandwagon is pretty damn empty.

Last year, Weber inexplicably regresses, Decker goes down again, Brewster treats Field Goal attempts as if they were kryptonite, stacking-up shutouts and that bandwagon lost three wheels.

You're probably right about expectations in hindsight, but &*^&*(%T^F^& what he said at a press conference in 2007. Most people think he can't coach and many people forget that Weber was pretty damn good for a year and a half before last season.

Me? I don't know what kind of Head Coach Brewster will end-up being, but I hope that the Defense and Special Teams improvement last season, is more indicative of his skill then the Offensive decline. I hope that last year was the aberration for Weber. I want to see them beat Wisconsin and Iowa.

To tie this into then OP, I honestly feel that there are to many people on this board who'd rather see NONE of those things come about so that they can say "See I TOLD YOU SO" rather then risk getting back on a bandwagon that they so fervently distrust.

This board has a lot of trolls but it is also the board for a team who has only had a couple winning seasons in Big Ten play in the last 25 years. It is no surprise that the tone is negative.

It's kind of like those who say if you criticize the government, you're not a real American. And you should move to Canada.

Complaining about Gopher football critics, on a Gopher football website is comparable to Nixon telling protesters to either quit criticizing the government or get out of the country.

As analogies go, possibly a little extreme.

Complaining about Gopher football critics, on a Gopher football website is comparable to Nixon telling protesters to either quit criticizing the government or get out of the country.

As analogies go, possibly a little extreme.

I wasn't talking about Nixon. Or any politician. I'm talking about people who have done that in recent years. Their whole stance boils down to: "If you don't agree with everything I say and think, then you are wrong and should go away." It's very junior high-ish.

I'm not sure this negativity is totally related to nearly 5 decades of futility. Go visit the tOSU board after a loss. You'd think the sky is falling. While I agree that being negative for its own sake is a waste of time, what's wrong with expecting high performance out of our University? I'm proud that the Chemical Eng'g dept. at the U (my undergrad major) is typically ranked as being one of the best in the country. If it wasn't, I'd expect the dept head, or even the dean of IT to get S-canned. Why should we settle for mediocrity from our football team, which is much more the face of the U than what goes on in Amundson Hall? And people who disparage posters for "not supporting the Gophers no matter what" are as much a part of the problem as those who tear down the team, the coaches, or the players just for the sake of spewing some bile.

As to the Gray and Weber question, I personally have stood behind Weber through his career here, not because I think he's the answer, but because I trust the coaching staff to know who gives them the best chance to win. Arguments about who should be starting, conducted by a group of people who don't have 1/10th the knowledge of the situation as the decision-makers, generally strike me as asinine and pointless. (Unless, of course, there's some glaring conflict of interest or demonstrated lack of good judgment on the decision-maker's part.)

As to the mood on the board...I get pissed at the constant Brewster and Weber bashers just as much as most of the people here seem to. But it's hard to be passionate about a consistently disappointing team, and you have to give people a little leeway when they get negative. They're pissed off because they care, too. If someone makes a bad point, I'm the first to criticize (and that happens a LOT in the various Brew/Mason and Weber/Gray arguments that sprout up in these parts). But just because someone isn't as informed or as smart as me (and, really, few people are) doesn't make them trolls or bad fans.

I'm not sure this negativity is totally related to nearly 5 decades of futility. Go visit the tOSU board after a loss. You'd think the sky is falling. While I agree that being negative for its own sake is a waste of time, what's wrong with expecting high performance out of our University? I'm proud that the Chemical Eng'g dept. at the U (my undergrad major) is typically ranked as being one of the best in the country. If it wasn't, I'd expect the dept head, or even the dean of IT to get S-canned. Why should we settle for mediocrity from our football team, which is much more the face of the U than what goes on in Amundson Hall? And people who disparage posters for "not supporting the Gophers no matter what" are as much a part of the problem as those who tear down the team, the coaches, or the players just for the sake of spewing some bile.

I'm a basketball coach near the metro and we are a decent sized school. big tradition in hockey and football with a poor basketball tradition. if you want to build a program you have to kill the negativity. kids have to believe they are winners before they can become winners. tOSU is not a good comparison to minny when it comes to losing, they don't lose, they don't expect it! it feels like when minny plays the crowd already expects the loss so by quarter 2 the crowd is gone and the energy is taken away from the team. try unconditional support as a fanbase towards a team and they will give better effort and be more respectable in the community. its like the teachers who give up on the kids from a poor community before the kid even gets to class....really sad and hard to change an attitude that has been built for 40 yrs

Good point on expecting to lose. Twins vs. the Yankees is a good case in point there (the recent grand slam notwithstanding). How many times have we been sitting at a game, up 10 points late in the 3rd quarter with a high pucker factor expecting the worst? Still, though, e-vitriol on a message board isn't limited to schools with marginal success. It just may be there's less of the chest-thumping as a counterbalance.

Top Bottom