Gopher Bleacher seats-$$$$

Maybe the NSIC allows seatbacks to be brought in, you could try there.

Since SEC, ACC, Big East, Big 12 and Big 10 schools don't allow you to bring in seatbacks, it's not surprising that the University of Minnesota (one of those Big Ten schools, you know) doesn't allow it.

I personally think it is silly to make such a big stink about the seatbacks. To correct you however not all of the schools in the conferences listed ban bringing in your own seatbacks. I know that at the University of Texas fans can bring their own in.

Oops, I was writing my message as the other one was posted saying same thing.

I personally think it is silly to make such a big stink about the seatbacks. To correct you however not all of the schools in the conferences listed ban bringing in your own seatbacks. I know that at the University of Texas fans can bring their own in.

Oops, I was writing my message as the other one was posted saying same thing.

Yet more Texas ball-washing from this "Gopher fan".:rolleyes:

HOLY CRAP!

THIS IS A TRAVESTY! A MOCKERY OF JUSTICE! A SHAM! HOW CAN WE STAND FOR THIS?

Maybe we should stand. That would solve the problems. Other than that, I just can't muster the ability to give a fork. I'm more worked up about no liquor in the premium seats, because I planned on moving up in a few years.

Yet more Texas ball-washing from this "Gopher fan".:rolleyes:

It has nothing to do with that, just stating a fact. I am not even a Texas fan actually, you do realize however that Brewster is probably a larger Texas fan than I could or would ever be however, after all he worked there for how long and his son now plays there. Hopefully you are open enough however to realize that the Gopher program could do worse than trying to emulate some of the things done by some of the more successful programs in the country such as Texas, USC, Ohio State, etc, in regards to fan support and community involvement. I am not saying the seatbacks is one of them however, because that is just not important to me or to the success of the program.

Honestly, the only reason people are even complaining is due to all the years of playing football in the Dome. Everyone got so used to beer being sold and chairbacks on every seat that they have become nit picky about tiny details. Unlike TCF, most college stadiums don't have chairbacks because they are extremely old. A prime example of seats backs is at Camp Randall. You can see exactly how many season ticket holders there are because they install a cushion/back on the seats. I don't know for sure but I have been told that the seatbacks are included in the season ticket package. But I also know that Illinois gives you the option to rent but not bring in your own. Basically if you already got them now then fine. Deal with it and pay the $45. But in the end if you feel as though having the seat back is not worth the extra $45, then don't get them for next year. Besides, sitting on bleachers isn't all that bad. You're probably going to be standing up so much anyway that it won't matter if there is anything supporting your back or not.

This might sound really stupid but the reason the U might not allow any kind of chairback is probably for 1. the profit and 2. the aesthetic appeal. Seeing so many seatbacks that are identical is really cool. Granted they probably could have communicated better, but this is the first time the Athletic/ticketing department has had to deal with an on campus football stadium in 20+ years. Nothing is going to be perfect the first time. So sit back and enjoy the game....

THIS IS A TRAVESTY! A MOCKERY OF JUSTICE! A SHAM! HOW CAN WE STAND FOR THIS?

Maybe we should stand. That would solve the problems. Other than that, I just can't muster the ability to give a fork. I'm more worked up about no liquor in the premium seats, because I planned on moving up in a few years.

No, this is an absolute, off the wall, outrageous TRAVERSHAMOCKERY! THE SKY IS FALLING BECAUSE WE CAN'T BRING OUR OWN CHAIRBACKS IN!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

As an FYI - I have attended games at over 30 NCAA D-1 stadiums and have never seen a stadium that allows you to bring your own seat backs, unless you bought them from the school and they are the approved type.

Ok, so why can't they sell an "approved" one then? They check everyone that goes into the stadium anyway, so if someone tries to bring in a big hoss of a chairback, turn it away. It really wouldn't be that hard to police the chairbacks coming into the stadium.

I understand it's a money maker for the U, but they dropped the ball in the whole process so why not let people bring their own in (that are under 16-18" wide) or sell a "U" seat that you can bring in each game. See Florida, See Texas.

Ok, so why can't they sell an "approved" one then? They check everyone that goes into the stadium anyway, so if someone tries to bring in a big hoss of a chairback, turn it away. It really wouldn't be that hard to police the chairbacks coming into the stadium.

I understand it's a money maker for the U, but they dropped the ball in the whole process so why not let people bring their own in (that are under 16-18" wide) or sell a "U" seat that you can bring in each game. See Florida, See Texas.

In the next few years, I wouldn't be surprised if that's something that is done. But considering that it's only the first year and I honestly don't think the U knows exactly what to expect with a lot of things, I think the decision to decide NOT to deal with individuals bringing in their own chair backs and making everything 100% uniform is a responsible & fair one.

wambulance.jpg

In the next few years, I wouldn't be surprised if that's something that is done. But considering that it's only the first year and I honestly don't think the U knows exactly what to expect with a lot of things, I think the decision to decide NOT to deal with individuals bringing in their own chair backs and making everything 100% uniform is a responsible & fair one.

You're right, it's the first year so they wanted a uniform rule so we'll just go with it.

To answer your question, in that Darcy story they said that since the ones they are renting you are secured to the bench for the season it can't be "used as a projectile."

It is not a big deal. As previously stated, it perhaps could have been communicated better but it was communicated that seatbacks would be available for rent. Most people understood what that meant. It also didn't say exactly that you can't bring in your own popcorn machine and Honda generator to power it to save yourself more $$$, but my guess is it isn't allowed.

Personally, I am glad they don't have to police what chairbacks are coming into the stadium. I don't want to wait in line behind you as the security guard has to pull out a tape measure to double check your home made chairback constructed with duct tape, empty potato sacks, and 2x4's.

Before I chose my seats, I did a novel thing. I ASKED the ticket office what I could bring in. I even brought in a seat and showed them. They said the only thing I could bring in was a cushion with NO BACK ON IT. So if anyone wanted to know for sure before they purchased their seats all they had to do is ASK.

The other side of this is the fan experience inside the stadium as well as longevity of the bleachers if people were allowed to bring their own in. If there are non-standardized seat backs, even if they fit the width requirements, you could have issues with one being next to another not fitting, having to get up while bozo brings his and puts it on, etc. Ones that are portable (I am guessing) could easily come off or slide around during the game, interfering with others. Then there is the risk of some clown incorrectly installing their personal one and breaking/wrecking the bleachers. Do I think all of these scenarios highly likely? No, but the U probably had to weigh their options.

Considering 10,000 bleacher seats are students and 3,000 bleacher seats are visitors, I don't think the U expected the number of people requiring seat backs to be that big of a deal, since there were plenty of chairback options (unusual in college stadiums). Does paying an additional $45 to rent without the option of bringing your own in suck? Kinda, yeah. But it is very consistent with other programs, frees the U from liability and hassles of policing seatbacks, and isn't outrageously expensive. Oh well.

Wow, the Florida Gators allow them in also. Give me a break saying all these schools don't allow them.

Gator Seatbacks
Gator Seatbacks provide an affordable way to feel comfortable during the game. Gator Seatbacks are waterproof and are installed for the entire season. The cost is $40 per season per seat. For more information, season ticket holders can call 1-800-601-1920 or visit www.gatorseatback.com. Please note that chairbacks larger than a single seat are prohibited. Single seats are 16 inches.

http://www.gatorzone.com/facilities/?venue=swamp&page=home&sport=footb

Stop it. Right now. The more you bitch and moan about this, the more of an ass you make yourself look like. You're not doing anyone any favors, including yourself.

Amazing, just amazing what i'm reading here.
First, I can't imagine having to sit next to someone that brings in their own chairback. I can only assume the person is going to get to the game 5 minutes late and then make everyone around them get up and move so they can put their seat down. I can also imagine someone bringing theirs in and putting it in the wrong spot (just a few inches or in a totally wrong section) and then make it miserable for everyone around them.

The purpose of the U's policy is uniformity, ease on gameday, and extra $$ for the U of M football.
Seems pretty legit to me. I had the choice of chairbacks but decided on the bleachers full well knowing and assuming I would pay 40 bucks on top of each ticket. I think 90% of bleacher seaters are in the same frame of mind as myself.

A prime example of seats backs is at Camp Randall. You can see exactly how many season ticket holders there are because they install a cushion/back on the seats. I don't know for sure but I have been told that the seatbacks are included in the season ticket package.

I hope it is not the same company that does seatback at Camp Randall...those ones stick out about 6 inches over the back of the bench. Basically anyone over 5'-10" gets screwed that sits behind them because their knees are jammed against the back of the seatback so your thighs are on the bench and rearend is hanging off the back of the bench offering zero back support...which is another potential negative of people bringing their own; space it takes up behind them as well as the width being to big.

Personnally I don't care as long as someone else's isn't taking over my seating space. I would recommend bringing a blanket to sit on if you are just concerned about having some cushion under you; no concerns about the size and will keep your rear warmer than a thin foam cushion.

Edit: Or...you could always opt for a blanket with sleeves and sew a large 'M' on it

CLEAR ALL ALONG?? Are you serious Bronko? It was never clear all along. In the brochures they sent out, it NEVER said anything about renting is the only option. Show us where it was stated in print.

Do me a favor. Show me, in print, where it says you can bring in your own chairback. Thanks!

Before I chose my seats, I did a novel thing. I ASKED the ticket office what I could bring in. I even brought in a seat and showed them. They said the only thing I could bring in was a cushion with NO BACK ON IT. So if anyone wanted to know for sure before they purchased their seats all they had to do is ASK.

Thank you.

I love how people refuse to take responsibility for their actions. Instead of realizing that you should have asked before making your final purchase, you bitch that it is the U's fault.

Was it crystal clear? No
Did most reasonable people get it? Yes
If you didn't get it, could you have called the ticket office? Yes

The bottom line is that the U screwed up by not communicating this better during the selection process. However, complaining about this is pointless. Especially considering the U has already been screwed on the alcohol issue, there is NO WAY they will give up another revenue source. It's just not going to happen. Unless the legislature gets involved. :eek:

Just cancel your f*cking tickets and let me know. I have a bunch of friends that would love to have tickets and sit in the bleachers without a chair back. Get over yourself and shut up!!

this thread blew up pretty fast...

My take: This is a last dying wail of the "comfortable fans" who loved the fact that they could show up on a saturday at the dome, get a ticket on the cheap(people complained about the ticket prices/lack of availability), sit(this thread) in the climate controled sterile dome(people will complain about the weather/lack of warm places) drink themselves silly on crappy dome beer(alcohol complainers), not cheer/sit on their hands(wait until the first Ahole tries to make me sit down, or be quiet, or stop being animated) and pretty much be satisfied with a 42-14 win against Louisiana Tech community college A and I(too tough nonconference schedule complainers), leave the game early(wait until the traffic complainers come in), go 6-6 and a crappy bowl win against another 6-6 team(complain when head coach transitions and team has down year).

This type of fan will hopefully freeze this year, complain until they can't talk, and leave their tickets to the next generation rabid fans who want to get this program to the next level

this thread blew up pretty fast...

My take: This is a last dying wail of the "comfortable fans" who loved the fact that they could show up on a saturday at the dome, get a ticket on the cheap(people complained about the ticket prices/lack of availability), sit(this thread) in the climate controled sterile dome(people will complain about the weather/lack of warm places) drink themselves silly on crappy dome beer(alcohol complainers), not cheer/sit on their hands(wait until the first Ahole tries to make me sit down, or be quiet, or stop being animated) and pretty much be satisfied with a 42-14 win against Louisiana Tech community college A and I(too tough nonconference schedule complainers), leave the game early(wait until the traffic complainers come in), go 6-6 and a crappy bowl win against another 6-6 team(complain when head coach transitions and team has down year).

This type of fan will hopefully freeze this year, complain until they can't talk, and leave their tickets to the next generation rabid fans who want to get this program to the next level

Poetry and pure truth... I completely agree.

I'm in 117 and bought a chair back. The way I see it, I usually bought an expensive beer at the dome each game (that I now won't buy). I actually made money on this deal, because the chairback rental is cheaper than beer at the dome! Plus who wants to carry a blanket or cushion around while bar hopping before and after the game.

I'm just happy to be in the stadium.

FYI!!!!!!!!!

The alcohol issue is not screwed up and neither is this. If you are in a bleacher seat, aren't you supposed to be standing the whole entire game?
I can see it now, the people that want to bring these in are the same people that leave early and will be crawling all over me trying to get out with 4 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter.
Oh wait, I have seats in the 7th row on the 45 yard line. It doesn't concern me.

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are really harsh today.

It is unfortunate that the U was not a little more upfront in the beginning of the ticket selection process that the only University rented chairbacks would be allowed. That way there would be no way anyone could say they didn't know.

My question is are they going to allow people to bring in cushions to sit on? Like this one they sell in the University Bookstore?

And if so, could you bring in one of the folding cushions that has a backrest? They basically just look like a thick cushion. I'm guessing that the ticket-takers will have bigger concerns than checking every cushion/seatback coming into the stadium.

I agree they should have been more open about this earlier but I figured they would do this anyway. Remember that this is not just them trying to make money either. It would be very difficult to check them as people brought them in anyway.

Many of us have been to other Big Ten Stadiums....they all have to purchase or rent the seatbacks. No one brings in their own. The U handled this appropriately. Seems like some of you need something to bitch about. Hike up your skirts and turn in your tickets...I am sure that there are others that would like the chance to purchase them. Go Gophers!

Top Bottom