Gopher Bleacher seats-$$$$

gopher13

Reaction score
Anyone else out there concerned with the U of M's announcement to only allow rentable chairbacks at the new TCf back stadium for anyone with bleacher seats. You cannot bring your own in and each seat costs $45/seat/season.
this was not stated in the original brochure that went out before ticket selection occurred.
The U of M just sent out a more recent brochure stated you may only rent from thier supplier at the price stated above.

The main concern is this is a far greater cost to ticket holders than originally anticipated, if it was known ahead of time during ticket selection, you may have selected an actual seat instead.

If you are not happy, please call the U of M ticket office and ask to speak to the U of M assitant athletic director Jason Lafrenz 612-625-2933.

We need to let the U of M know as a group that this is not fair.

I don't think you're going to find a lot of support for this issue on this board. Please scroll down the main football board a bit and read this thread.

Basically, I don't think it's unfair at all. If you wanted to have a seat back, you should have selected a seat that provided one. Either there were unavailable when you selected, which is simply too bad for you, or you wanted a better seat, so you took one without, sacrificing one thing to get something else you wanted.

Additionally, the policy of renting uniform seat backs is something common to all college stadiums. Why people in Minnesota want to make this an issue - like the alcohol issue, which was to be treated as it is in many, many other college stadiums - is bizarre to me.

Not concerned at all. There was an existing thread that you could have posted your concerns, rather than starting a new one.

This is a non-story

This is nothing new. i am section 145 and have rented the seatbacks. This is old news. Anyone who is shocked or upset by this has not been paying attention.

Maybe it's not fair, but life isn't fair. Deal with it. If this is an issue that makes you re-think your season ticket purchase, by all means cancel and make room for a gopher fan who really wants to be there.

Hey, it is Gopher13's first post on GopherHole! Welcome to GopherHole!

Oh, and yes, this has been discussed at length. Rented seatbacks are the NORM in college stadiums all over the country. I believe someone said you can bring your own to Arizona State, and maybe a few others but the MAJORITY of D1 college stadiums do it the same way as the new Brickhouse - on a rental basis. Although it was not specifically spelled out in the original brochure for the uninformed, it was at least implied, stating seatbacks would be available for rental. Although they perhaps could have done a better job communicating it, all in all I think this is not a big deal.

Not fair?

A bench seat with the seatback rental is still cheaper than the donation you would have had to give to get a chair at TCF (unless you had enough Gopher points to get in one of the sections where a donation was not required). If this is an issue for you, you can give up your tickets to someone on the waiting list and sit on your comfortable couch.

Give me a break, you think that we did not read anything the whole time? We read all brochures from the get go. There was no communication from the Gopher ticket office on the seat back monopoly until after we selected seats. This was a huge weight in our decision process whether we go with chair backs or bleachers, but since we have had endzone seats for 9 years we really wanted to keep the vantage points. This outweighed our final decision. You have to ask yourself you really want to pay an extra $45/seat/person for the rest of the time you have season tickets. It is a rip off and there are plenty of other things you could support Gopher football with that $. We were season ticket holders at ASU for a year and they allowed them, actually a lot of schools do. It is schools in the Big 10 that do not. It is rediculous that MN people act as lemmings and follow and do as they are told without question.. No we are not rethinking our decision. There is a difference between being a true Gopher fan and letting the polictics and money run over you. Think about it....

I was planning on bringing the recliner from my living room and placing it on top of my bleacher seat. I like to watch football with my legs extended, preferably wearing just boxers. Ya know... to let things air out.

If I'm not allowed to to this at TCF Bank Stadum I will whine and complain and bring sob story to the media on a slow news day.

Are you all Serious??

A bench seat with the seatback rental is still cheaper than the donation you would have had to give to get a chair at TCF (unless you had enough Gopher points to get in one of the sections where a donation was not required). If this is an issue for you, you can give up your tickets to someone on the waiting list and sit on your comfortable couch.

We did have enough points you fricking turd. We could have got goalline seats in rows 1-10, but chose to stick with the EZ row 1 thinking we could bring our own in.

To say that the gophers are "right" with this decision is completely bogus. How do you not mention it at all in the communications and then force people to rent is absurd. Has anyone figured out the cost value of bringing your own in. You can buy good ones for like $40, so having to rent one each & every year is going to skyrocket the cost of just buying one. I'm floored that you all think this is okay, I guess you're okay with taking it in the tailpipe.

This is nothing new. i am section 145 and have rented the seatbacks. This is old news. Anyone who is shocked or upset by this has not been paying attention.

You just got taken then, because paying $45 a season to rent is a total RIP-OFF job.

Give me a break, you think that we did not read anything the whole time? We read all brochures from the get go. There was no communication from the Gopher ticket office on the seat back monopoly until after we selected seats. This was a huge weight in our decision process whether we go with chair backs or bleachers, but since we have had endzone seats for 9 years we really wanted to keep the vantage points. This outweighed our final decision. You have to ask yourself you really want to pay an extra $45/seat/person for the rest of the time you have season tickets. It is a rip off and there are plenty of other things you could support Gopher football with that $. We were season ticket holders at ASU for a year and they allowed them, actually a lot of schools do. It is schools in the Big 10 that do not. It is rediculous that MN people act as lemmings and follow and do as they are told without question.. No we are not rethinking our decision. There is a difference between being a true Gopher fan and letting the polictics and money run over you. Think about it....

Not sure why you think this board or forum will help your cause...it is obvious that you didn't care about us before you felt you were slighted by the U. Plus $45 has got you bitchin...did you do this much bitchin about the 2 trillion dollar bail out which cost you $45,000 in future tax debts?

Regarding seat backs, ticket prices and everything else....college sports is about money...it is time for the U supporters to pony up...seat donations, seat back rentals, etc. are the cost of having winning programs. IF you don't want to pay..stay home and watch it on cable.

As an FYI - I have attended games at over 30 NCAA D-1 stadiums and have never seen a stadium that allows you to bring your own seat backs, unless you bought them from the school and they are the approved type.

So add the SEC, ACC, Big East and Big 12 to the list of conferences with schools that don't allow you bring your own seat backs. It isn't just the Big 10.

Going in, I assumed you could bring in a seat cushion, like the ones you see at Target or wherever, but at no point did I assume that you could bring in anything with a chairback on it. If you wanted something with a back, you were going to either pay a seat license or have a enough points to get an individual seat. If you always intended on bringing in your own seat with a back on it, you probably should have asked the athletic department if that was going to be allowed. At no point did I figure it would be.

You're not going to find a lot of supporters for this "travesty."

bitching.gif

This is a load of crap that people are whining about this. While it could have been stated in the brochure better it did say that you could rent chair backs for the university supplier. You just decided to assume that you could bring your own even though it didn't state that. And if you had cared enough to do any research before hand on the Gopher points website it clearly stated under the frequently asked questions that you could not bring in a chairback. So now you are whining and bitching because you were too lazy or stupid to put any effort in in the first place.

I knew I couldn't bring my own in when I chose and still chose bleachers over chairbacks because I wanted a better seat and if I knew when I selected you could have known as well. So shut up and go cry to someone that gives a damn.

Oh and the fact that WCCO TV did a story on this is a load of crap especially when they had facts that it was posted on the website before seats could be choosen. What kind of crappy journalism is that.

Going in, I assumed you could bring in a seat cushion, like the ones you see at Target or wherever, but at no point did I assume that you could bring in anything with a chairback on it. If you wanted something with a back, you were going to either pay a seat license or have a enough points to get an individual seat. If you always intended on bringing in your own seat with a back on it, you probably should have asked the athletic department if that was going to be allowed. At no point did I figure it would be.

You're not going to find a lot of supporters for this "travesty."

I agree. I always thought there would be limitations on what you could bring in. So, you have to pay an annual rental fee -- big deal.

With the alcohol issue, the U said there would be beer in the suites and now there won't be. That would be a legitimate gripe for people that bought suites. This is different. The mailing didn't say that you could either rent a seatback from them OR bring your own. You assumed that. If there was any doubt and it was a HUGE deciding factor as you say it was, you can be sure I would have called the ticket office to verify.

Not sure why you think this board or forum will help your cause...it is obvious that you didn't care about us before you felt you were slighted by the U. Plus $45 has got you bitchin...did you do this much bitchin about the 2 trillion dollar bail out which cost you $45,000 in future tax debts?

Regarding seat backs, ticket prices and everything else....college sports is about money...it is time for the U supporters to pony up...seat donations, seat back rentals, etc. are the cost of having winning programs. IF you don't want to pay..stay home and watch it on cable.

As an FYI - I have attended games at over 30 NCAA D-1 stadiums and have never seen a stadium that allows you to bring your own seat backs, unless you bought them from the school and they are the approved type.

So add the SEC, ACC, Big East and Big 12 to the list of conferences with schools that don't allow you bring your own seat backs. It isn't just the Big 10.

Been to four different ACC stadiums and none of them allowed your own seatbacks.

I was planning on bringing the recliner from my living room and placing it on top of my bleacher seat. I like to watch football with my legs extended, preferably wearing just boxers. Ya know... to let things air out.

If I'm not allowed to to this at TCF Bank Stadum I will whine and complain and bring sob story to the media on a slow news day.

:D:D:D

let me guess.....your name also happens to be: trevor paulson from the wcco story?!

Anyone else out there concerned with the U of M's announcement to only allow rentable chairbacks at the new TCf back stadium for anyone with bleacher seats. You cannot bring your own in and each seat costs $45/seat/season.
this was not stated in the original brochure that went out before ticket selection occurred.
The U of M just sent out a more recent brochure stated you may only rent from thier supplier at the price stated above.

The main concern is this is a far greater cost to ticket holders than originally anticipated, if it was known ahead of time during ticket selection, you may have selected an actual seat instead.

If you are not happy, please call the U of M ticket office and ask to speak to the U of M assitant athletic director Jason Lafrenz 612-625-2933.

seriously. find something worthwhile to complain about because bitching about something as lame as this is pretty weak. the seat back rental policy was clear all along. read the information a little closer next time and don't assume so much.

The mailing didn't say that you could either rent a seatback from them OR bring your own. You assumed that. If there was any doubt and it was a HUGE deciding factor as you say it was, you can be sure I would have called the ticket office to verify.

Ding ding ding!! Exactly. You know what happens when you assume, right? Well, it's happening to you right now.

seriously. find something worthwhile to complain about because bitching about something as lame as this is pretty weak. the seat back rental policy was clear all along. read the information a little closer next time and don't assume so much.

CLEAR ALL ALONG?? Are you serious Bronko? It was never clear all along. In the brochures they sent out, it NEVER said anything about renting is the only option. Show us where it was stated in print.

If the Gophers ADMITTED they were wrong, then it obviously was never clear or else they wouldn't apologize. The travesty is they were wrong but then they're still forcing it on everyone.

The U should have to provide a list of everything you are not allowed to bring into the stadium, because we should assume that if they don't specifically state that you can't bring it in, you can bring it in.

But it will be a long list. Here's a small sample of some things the U should tell us we can't bring in:

Ocelots
Recliners
Penguins
Hot air balloons
Platypuses
Robots, unless the robot has a ticket
Stellar-mass black holes
Inflatable rafts
Hovercraft
Unicorns
Seat backs
Wombats

Maybe the NSIC allows seatbacks to be brought in, you could try there.

Since SEC, ACC, Big East, Big 12 and Big 10 schools don't allow you to bring in seatbacks, it's not surprising that the University of Minnesota (one of those Big Ten schools, you know) doesn't allow it.

Since SEC, ACC, Big East, Big 12 and Big 10 schools don't allow you to bring in seatbacks, it's not surprising that the University of Minnesota (one of those Big Ten schools, you know) doesn't allow it.

Wow, The University of Texas allows seatbacks in so quoting the Big 12 makes no sense at all. You better check your facts.

Chair back rentals
Visit the booths located inside gates 1, 8, 25 or 32, or order online at https://secure.commercedsl.com/longhornseatbackcom/default.aspx. Personal chair backs are permitted in the stadium, but must be no more than 18 inches across.

http://www.texassports.com/ot/football-atoz.html

Wow, the Florida Gators allow them in also. Give me a break saying all these schools don't allow them.

Gator Seatbacks
Gator Seatbacks provide an affordable way to feel comfortable during the game. Gator Seatbacks are waterproof and are installed for the entire season. The cost is $40 per season per seat. For more information, season ticket holders can call 1-800-601-1920 or visit www.gatorseatback.com. Please note that chairbacks larger than a single seat are prohibited. Single seats are 16 inches.

http://www.gatorzone.com/facilities/?venue=swamp&page=home&sport=footb

Please get a life...for all of our sakes...

I truly hope you take this passion and energy and go out and solve one of the world's truly big problems like starving children and rampant disease.... Here's an idea, don't rent a seatback for any of your seats and take the money saved and donate it to a truly great charity..... That way you can feel better about screwing the big ol bad U of M out of some money....

A lemming thing to do would be to name yourself Gophers13.

The last thing I would need is some SOB bring in the worlds largest seat back next time. This is optional. Who cares.. buy it or don't.

Top Bottom