Gopher Bleacher seats-$$$$

I am in section 232 bleachers and never for one minute thought I'd be able to bring in my own seatback device. That would be rediculous. Many sizes, shapes, etc. would cause a ton of problems. Why, oh why, would anyone think they could bring in something of their choice of any and all sizes??

I know what it's like to get worked up about things like this when others just don't see the point. I've fallen into the same trap in the past. My advice to you is step back, look at the whole picture, and think again about your origina assumptions and how impossible they really are. Then think about how excited you should be that opening day is 6 weeks away. If you are still really upset, you may want to sell your tickets to a Gopher fan that will enjoy the games more than you will.

You guys are really harsh today.

It is unfortunate that the U was not a little more upfront in the beginning of the ticket selection process that the only University rented chairbacks would be allowed. That way there would be no way anyone could say they didn't know.

My question is are they going to allow people to bring in cushions to sit on? Like this one they sell in the University Bookstore?

And if so, could you bring in one of the folding cushions that has a backrest? They basically just look like a thick cushion. I'm guessing that the ticket-takers will have bigger concerns than checking every cushion/seatback coming into the stadium.

or better yet how about people sitting in the bleachers just rent their seatbacks from the U like they are expected to and we all call it a FRICKIN' DAY?!?! this is the lamest debate ever.

farmgopher - please note that i am just playing with you a little bit (while also being serious), so don't take it too personal. ;)

272339_res3_5fineforwhining.JPG

I see about a hundred bucks worth in this thread. Pony up. Cash, check, or PayPal accepted.

Not Clear?

CLEAR ALL ALONG?? Are you serious Bronko? It was never clear all along. In the brochures they sent out, it NEVER said anything about renting is the only option. Show us where it was stated in print.

If the Gophers ADMITTED they were wrong, then it obviously was never clear or else they wouldn't apologize. The travesty is they were wrong but then they're still forcing it on everyone.

Actually it was clear all along. Point #5, under 'TCF Bank Stadium':

https://onestop2.umn.edu/ppoints/public/faq.jsp

5.I have a bench seat, am I allowed to bring a portable seat back?

Answer: No. However, portable seat backs will be available for rental to season ticket holders with a bench seat location. More information is forthcoming.

Actually it was clear all along. Point #5, under 'TCF Bank Stadium':

https://onestop2.umn.edu/ppoints/public/faq.jsp

5.I have a bench seat, am I allowed to bring a portable seat back?

Answer: No. However, portable seat backs will be available for rental to season ticket holders with a bench seat location. More information is forthcoming.

Not everyone read the online thing, plus who knows when they put that in there, it could have been just recently. It was not listed in any of the 3 brochures they sent out, which is where it should be officially. Plus, Maturi admitted their error, so obviously it wasn't stated. Why would he apologize if it was listed. It's not that hard of a concept, Maturi apologizes = University error.

Where in those three brochures that were sent out does it say you can bring in your own seatback? You keep getting the same answers to your same gripe. What are you looking for? Should we take up a collection so you can rent a seat back? It obviously isn't changing and all the whining isn't helping. From what I can tell, it is a very tiny (but vocal) minority that has a problem with this. Most, like me understood from the start, or had the smarts to double check with the ticket office prior to selecting their seats.

After spending over 25 years in a pro stadium, there were bound to be some misunderstandings on all sides as the team moves back on campus into a real college stadium. I'm guessing the U just missed understanding the depth of ignorance for a portion of the fan base, that is all. As you stated, they apologized and moved on (I suggest you move on as well). If they had it over again, I'm sure you and the other 25 people harboring a gripe over this would have received a personal call from Maturi to go over every detail.

As near as I can tell, 8 of your 11 posts on GopherHole have been whining about seatback rentals. How do you think the team will do this year?

Alright, I'm done with this issue, no more griping. And to those that think we should give up our tickets, not a chance. We've had them for 10 years now (paid for 2 seasons but gave away tickets while we were living in Philly & Phx), so why would I give them up over something like this. I can be mad about their decision, but I'm not retarded.

I'm very excited about the upcoming season, it's going to be a great! I love the gophers (always have, always will), so this isn't going to change it. Sorry for disturbing people, obviously this wasn't the place to gripe.

Alright, I'm done with this issue, no more griping. And to those that think we should give up our tickets, not a chance. We've had them for 10 years now (paid for 2 seasons but gave away tickets while we were living in Philly & Phx), so why would I give them up over something like this. I can be mad about their decision, but I'm not retarded.

I'm very excited about the upcoming season, it's going to be a great! I love the gophers (always have, always will), so this isn't going to change it. Sorry for disturbing people, obviously this wasn't the place to gripe.

Good enough, I think all of us can a least appreciate the fact that we have this new stadium and all of the issues that come with it ti squabble about, GO GOPHERS!

Stand up! It won't be a problem then. I think our section 231 t-shirt should change to...231...Seatbacks are for the old ones.

Just keep complaining. If no one ever came on here to complain, then all the people with thousands of posts who patrol these boards every half hour wouldn't have anything themselves to complain about. One guy goes on a message board and complains, then the same 10 other guys jump all over him and take time to make funny little pictures for their posts, all the while they complain about how unimportant it all is. So just keep complaining, it is what keeps these boards going.

Before I chose my seats, I did a novel thing. I ASKED the ticket office what I could bring in. I even brought in a seat and showed them. They said the only thing I could bring in was a cushion with NO BACK ON IT. So if anyone wanted to know for sure before they purchased their seats all they had to do is ASK.

I actually called the ticket office myself before selecting our seats because this was a concern I had. There had been no information about it prior to selecting seats and when I called the office, the girl I talked to had little or no information. She didn't know what the cost was and said we would be notified after the selection process (bunch of bull in my opinion, it should have been stated prior to selection) and had no idea if we would be able to bring in our own or not.

Armed with this information, we still selected the bench seats and I'm not surprised at the cost but will hurt our budget a little since we will need 3 of them. I'm just annoyed that the Gophers didn't have this information ready to go for Season Ticket holders prior to seat selection. Poor information management in my opinion.

Chairback rentals were no surprise to me. Not one iota. I expected that as I have seen them at other stadiums plus I read it somewhere Re: TCF info. Plus, the way security has been at the dome, safety concerns and potential "get your damn oversized portable chair out of my space" issues, I felt for certain that fans would not be allowed to bring in their own. For me it was a no-brainer.

But not everyone is equally informed about the new stadium. There were numerous times when people would post a ? on GH about TCF rather than calling the ticket office or email Maturi himself. I find its best to be proactive rather than relying on someone who merely has an opinion or doesn't have the facts or someone who doesn't know. Maybe a call to a supervisor would have provided the answer.

You guys are really harsh today.

It is unfortunate that the U was not a little more upfront in the beginning of the ticket selection process that the only University rented chairbacks would be allowed. That way there would be no way anyone could say they didn't know.

My question is are they going to allow people to bring in cushions to sit on? Like this one they sell in the University Bookstore?

And if so, could you bring in one of the folding cushions that has a backrest? They basically just look like a thick cushion. I'm guessing that the ticket-takers will have bigger concerns than checking every cushion/seatback coming into the stadium.

I didn't realize that there was another thread on this subject. I was posting in the other one, but here's what the ticket office said, "Thank you for your email. Seat cushions and blankets will be allowed into the TCF bank stadium. The only restrictions are the seat cushion can not have a metal frame or be too thick so that it would obstruct another person's view of the game."

As to wheather or not it can have a backrest on it, the answer would be no since it would be considered a "seat back". However, if you can get it in, then you should use it.

After reading some of this thread, I'm going to suggest to the ticket office that they set up a cushion filter/stencil (Kind of like what the airports have to filter/sort out what constitutes a "carry on" vs a "checked bag") and publish cushion guidelines. That would hopefully avoid people trying to bring in a couch cushion and then complain that no one told them they couldn't bring in a couch cushion.

Top Bottom