Gopher Basketball Portal Money - $1 Million

Maybe...but by sheer numbers it should cost more. I mean didn't PJ say everyone has a deal on the team or something similar? Basketball should be able to focus resources more in theory.
Us actual Gopher FB & BB fans would do what it takes to win big.

Which would be sacrificing FB and 3 years of BB. Saving up the money. And then going in huge every 4th year and making a Final Four attempt.

But our administration aren't fans. In fact, most of them are against FB and men's BB.

Frank Mitchell for free is a better pick up then Morgan at $100k, would not offer Morgan $200k even before knowing anything about Mitchell.

So is it safe to say this $100k went to the Oregon transfer?

Would Caleb Williams get any NIL?

I'm having a hard time understanding where this money is coming from if Garcia is $400k+ and then that still leaves everyone else trailing behind that.

Garcia might have learned the hard way to not even tell his buddy Hawkins how much he was getting...

Frank Mitchell for free is a better pick up then Morgan at $100k, would not offer Morgan $200k even before knowing anything about Mitchell.

I'm having a hard time understanding where this money is coming from if Garcia is $400k+ and then that still leaves everyone else trailing behind that.

Garcia might have learned the hard way to not even tell his buddy Hawkins how much he was getting...
They are still digging for the funds.

Money
No idea if true we have a NIL basketball budget of $1 million
More Gopher Basketball Money talk More Money Talk
NIL INeligible Frank
62 posts later, it is now a fact our BB budget is $1M and we're shaking out couch cushions to find some spare change.

The reality is nobody knows. That is the frustrating part about all of it and why we need salary caps and contracts. Get it out in the open and make it transparent.

62 posts later, it is now a fact our BB budget is $1M and we're shaking out couch cushions to find some spare change.

The reality is nobody knows. That is the frustrating part about all of it and why we need salary caps and contracts. Get it out in the open and make it transparent.
Yeah, seems like we hear different numbers all the time and there is so much guessing and speculation going on about just how much money is actually being thrown at players in this pretend NIL world we are living in.

Whole thing is just messy.

It also could be that he found out Garcia was getting 400k and suddenly his 250 didn’t look so good.
Do you really think Garcia is getting $400k?

I doubt a single Gopher athlete gets anywhere near that.

Simple proof: that’s a big number and if so then DTA would be pimping the S out of it.

But they tuck their tail between their legs with the BS of “we don’t release our numbers”. BS. That’s because you know they’re not great compared to other Big Ten.

This!

And this is why I've been saying for the last year - Within a couple years, UST will buy a better basketball team than the Gophers because they have alumni who will pay for it. Not just alumni, but wealthy parents whose kids went there, even if they themselves didn't.

I know one such parent myself. He went to the U. His kids went to UST. He's a UST booster.

Nobody should be paying for college basketball players.
Before the days when there was massive TV money being made off broadcasting/streaming the games, I might have agreed with you.

But these days, that stance doesn’t sit well with me.

Billions of dollars for major football and basketball games. The players deserve a piece.

And this is why I've been saying for the last year - Within a couple years, UST will buy a better basketball team than the Gophers because they have alumni who will pay for it.
The wealth of your alumni shouldn’t get to be a factor at all. That’s the most crooked part of it.

Imagine how fraudulent it would seem if each NFL team’s salary cap was based on the wealth of their fanbase? That’d be a joke.

I can tell you for certain that they are shaking couch cushions. I know guys that have gotten those phone calls. Look, this we know: if you have a lot of money, you are signing A listers and you are keeping your own core guys. If you don't, it looks like it does here.

The wealth of your alumni shouldn’t get to be a factor at all. That’s the most crooked part of it.

Imagine how fraudulent it would seem if each NFL team’s salary cap was based on the wealth of their fanbase? That’d be a joke.
If if's and buts were candy and nuts...

The wealth of boosters has ALWAYS been a factor, whether under the table or out in the open.

If it stays that way, then college will always be a 2nd rate product. As it deserves.

Get boosters out of it! :mad:

Do you really think Garcia is getting $400k?

I doubt a single Gopher athlete gets anywhere near that.

Simple proof: that’s a big number and if so then DTA would be pimping the S out of it.

But they tuck their tail between their legs with the BS of “we don’t release our numbers”. BS. That’s because you know they’re not great compared to other Big Ten.
Why ask me? I just used the numbers that have been bandied about here and offered a plausible theory that Hawkins entered the portal after finding out he was being paid less than Garcia.

Why ask me? I just used the numbers that have been bandied about here and offered a plausible theory that Hawkins entered the portal after finding out he was being paid less than Garcia.
Your hypothetical is fine, not criticizing that.

I just really doubt the “bandied” numbers.

I'm not confident that Garcia comes back. Like I said before, he'd command our whole $1M budget all himself on the open market.

And now he sees that he'll be playing with scrubs here if he stays.

And this is why I've been saying for the last year - Within a couple years, UST will buy a better basketball team than the Gophers because they have alumni who will pay for it. Not just alumni, but wealthy parents whose kids went there, even if they themselves didn't.

I know one such parent myself. He went to the U. His kids went to UST. He's a UST booster.
If they have the money...and the willpower of the administration...it might not be difficult for St. Thomas to surpass the U of MN.

I can tell you for certain that they are shaking couch cushions. I know guys that have gotten those phone calls. Look, this we know: if you have a lot of money, you are signing A listers and you are keeping your own core guys. If you don't, it looks like it does here.
I find it hard to believe that we're even trying to raise money to keep our players.

Not sure that Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn St., and NW have a million to spend on NIL basketball.
Does Maryland and Purdue have more than that to spend?
Edey got paid $850k this year, so I would guess they're spending quite a bit more than just $1 million.

Edey got paid $850k this year,
Just wondering if there is a source for this?

Also, if a (big) company goes directly to a specific player, and this is bypassing the school’s collective altogether, I reject that that should count as “what the school is spending” on bball players.

IF student-athletes were declared to be 'employees' of their respective schools, and IF those student-athletes were able to form or join unions, then there could be collective bargaining on terms of employment, compensation and so forth.

BUT that all hinges on schools being able to compensate athletes directly. eliminate the collectives and the direct payments from boosters. make all money go through the schools. in the case of public schools, then compensation to athletes would be public record.

I still maintain the best way to handle this is Congressional legislation. A new national law governing college sports with clear rules and penalties. It would have to stand up under court challenges. but as screwed up as Congress is right now, the odds of this happening are about 1 in a gazillion.

Just from what I have heard…may not be right:
Trying to drum up 400k for Christie
Offered 250 k to Hawk
Garcia 400 range
I’d guess we had 1.5 million to 2 million and it wasn’t enough. I think they are scrambling now
That’s a lot of Duck Duck! 😗

Edey got paid $850k this year, so I would guess they're spending quite a bit more than just $1 million.
I thought non-US citizens could not accept NIL money due to the visa restrictions placed on them as foreign students?
I don't doubt that he didn't get money from someone, just like the old days, but it couldn't come from the official collective

We bang around this NIL money like we know or have any idea how much it is. It's like Denis Lemieux trying to find out who owns the Chiefs.

I certainly do not know but I thought Edey had national commercial money to get to that total.
Two time National Player of Year you would think could gather some endorsements.
Screen Shot 2024-04-25 at 4.07.12 PM.png

Last edited:

I certainly do not know but I thought Edey had national commercial money to get to that total.
Two time National Player of Year you would think could gather some endorsements.
View attachment 31188
The date on that is 3/21/24....after the season was over and his eligibility was done. Unless you think Edey and Painter were flat-out lying, they stated that he got no NIL money while he was playing. Painter specifically said that was a reason. they were able to retain him after last season.

The date on that is 3/21/24....after the season was over and his eligibility was done. Unless you think Edey and Painter were flat-out lying, they stated that he got no NIL money while he was playing. Painter specifically said that was a reason. they were able to retain him after last season.
I think it is semantics…the collective couldn’t pay him but he got money from endorsements.

Top Bottom