Gopher Basketball Portal Money - $1 Million

I thought I heard Doogie today say the Gophers were bottom two in the Big 10.. FWIW for NIL money

I thought I heard Doogie today say the Gophers were bottom two in the Big 10.. FWIW for NIL money
Doogie is wrong a lot and it doesn't seem likely to me both are true. That is, if we have a $million dollars to spend I don't think it would be bottom two. I do think as it has been said in several places that if we have a million to spend it would put us in the middle.

Indiana has a lot. Illinois must. Nebraska has more than we do. Michigan is adding a whole new team of guys you've heard of...hard to do in 2024 without some money...they'd have even more if they could get admissions to let them in. Maryland has been active.

Wisconsin has lost several guys and added minimal ....no money?
Iowa pretty quiet...nobody expensive.

I don't see us bottom two if you piece all the clues together.

What kind of contracts are these kids signing? How can Hawkins be pimping DTA one day and then completely back out of the commitment one week later?

Do these bigger contracts not have some sort of termination or non-compete language?

What kind of contracts are these kids signing? How can Hawkins be pimping DTA one day and then completely back out of the commitment one week later?

Do these bigger contracts not have some sort of termination or non-compete language?

I'm assuming that entering the portal would be grounds for termination of the NIL agreement.

Hawkins' departure is the only one that I'm angry about. Our season ended March 24th and the other Gophers to hit the portal left not very long afterward and none to my knowledge stated they were returning. Hawkins' waited almost a month to enter and did so after saying twice that he would return.

Parker Fox said the DTA collective pays 1/2 the money up front at the beginning of the season and then equal payments throughout the season.

No money paid in the offseason. But all collectives may handle it differently.

Just from what I have heard…may not be right:
Trying to drum up 400k for Christie
Offered 250 k to Hawk
Garcia 400 range
I’d guess we had 1.5 million to 2 million and it wasn’t enough. I think they are scrambling now

Sounds about right.

Hopefully Asuma plays poorly his first year here. Or gets a nagging injury.

I'm telling you guys - this goes above Ben. Developing and Orchestrating NIL is the key to success now and it is not a part of Ben's Job Description. Certainly a big coaching name can help but nurturing NIL falls squarely on the shoulders of Coyle. ...and we are way, way, WAY behind.

People here should be firing off emails to the interim president asap

It seems like the better strategy is to decide say, 2027, is going to be the year we're good. Raise a bunch of money and spend none of it, then deploy it all in the transfer portal for the 2027 season.

Win the Big Ten and go to the Final Four. Then do it all over again.

Pro GMs use this strategy all the time.

I'm assuming that entering the portal would be grounds for termination of the NIL agreement.

Hawkins' departure is the only one that I'm angry about. Our season ended March 24th and the other Gophers to hit the portal left not very long afterward and none to my knowledge stated they were returning. Hawkins' waited almost a month to enter and did so after saying twice that he would return.
I buy all day that Hawkins planned to stay here.

And then got tampered with and the deal was too good to refuse.

You call it tampered, maybe his agent found him a better deal? Whatever you call it, I’m fast loosing interest in college hoops as it stands right now.
That is fair. I suppose this is as close to the period of “college free agency” as it gets.

I wish there were binding contracts that players had to sign, then, like in the pros. I think Hawkins would’ve signed with the U. But maybe not in that kind of scenario. Don’t know

going back to the OP - the author claims - based on posts from Ryan James and others - that Andrew Morgan was offered $100K by MN, but Nebraska offered $200K.

mind you - not a star player - maybe not even a starter (well, maybe a starter at MN?) - and Nebby is willing to shell out $200K.

IF that is accurate - and I say IF - then what the F*** are good players getting? If Morgan is worth $100K to $200K, then what is Christie or Hawkins worth? this sh*t is cray-zee.

It’s probably not that crazy when you talk about the overall money that P6 bball programs take in (revenue not profit), including parsing out from the overall TV contracts the value paid for bball games, and March Madness credits paid to conf.

What has happened is that it is a ton of change really fast. Change over time is OK, change fast screws people up.

It seems like the better strategy is to decide say, 2027, is going to be the year we're good. Raise a bunch of money and spend none of it, then deploy it all in the transfer portal for the 2027 season.

giphy.gif

It's a fascinating idea. You're right, pro GMs do employ this strategy from time to time (the infamous Sam Hinkie probably was the most zealous practitioner of it). Of course, in the pros tanking also gets you higher draft picks in addition to saving money. The problems I see with that strategy are:

1) I'm not sure college basketball fans could adopt the necessary mentality to support that strategy since the potential benefits are more uncertain;

2) The teams fielded in the interim periods between spending years likely would be truly horrible;

3) The regular tanking could make Minnesota even a less attractive destination than it is now (unlike pro draft picks, college recruits have a choice of where to go);

4) Unless CBB goes to a contract system (like one year contracts), you would have to do a lot of Creaning to have openings for those players you intend to buy.

Maybe they wouldn’t be that bad.

Get a bunch of DII and DIII kids like Parker Fox’s and the kid from Macalester? Who knows

Major League

I'm telling you guys - this goes above Ben. Developing and Orchestrating NIL is the key to success now and it is not a part of Ben's Job Description. Certainly a big coaching name can help but nurturing NIL falls squarely on the shoulders of Coyle. ...and we are way, way, WAY behind.

People here should be firing off emails to the interim president asap
Big name coaches have criteria for a good job or a better job. It was until recently centered around pay, school basketball tradition, fan base, and livability of the town in which the school resides.

That's changed to: How much NIL money do you have? And my pay.

Successful coaches will not be looking to not only rebuild a down program but they will for sure not be looking at going out and building the NIL base. If that is not well in place, high profile coaches are not interested.

The next Gopher coach will be not much different than the current coach. No big time experience, no big name, no big appeal.

Big name coaches have criteria for a good job or a better job. It was until recently centered around pay, school basketball tradition, fan base, and livability of the town in which the school resides.

That's changed to: How much NIL money do you have? And my pay.

Successful coaches will not be looking to not only rebuild a down program but they will for sure not be looking at going out and building the NIL base. If that is not well in place, high profile coaches are not interested.

The next Gopher coach will be not much different than the current coach. No big time experience, no big name, no big appeal.

The Gophers already have a NIL base and they don't need to hire a big name coach.

Next year the Gophers can definitely hire a coach with head coaching experience who has had a lot of success at a lower level, like they did with PJ in football.

This is still an attractive job and a huge step up for a coach like that, and it will be a massive upgrade over what we have today.

Top Bottom