Gopher Athletics, Clear Channel Extend Radio Partnership

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per U of MN CommunicationThe University of Minnesota Department of Athletics, in conjunction with multimedia rights-holder Gopher Sports Properties, announced today a three-year extension with Clear Channel Radio.

The agreement will see Gopher football broadcast on Clear Channel’s KFAN Sports Radio FM 100.3 for the 2014, 2015 and 2016 seasons.

“We have enjoyed our relationship with Clear Channel and are looking forward to another exciting three years of having Gopher football broadcast on KFAN Sports Radio,” said Director of Athletics Norwood Teague. “We evaluated all of our broadcast options, but the best place for us and for our fans right now is with Clear Channel. One of the things we are most excited about is leveraging Clear Channel’s top-rated, non-sports stations to help promote Gopher athletics to a wider audience.”

Clear Channel will continue to provide play-by-play coverage of all Gopher football games, related football programming with KFAN’s Justin Gaard, the in-season weekly coach’s show with Jerry Kill and a one-hour weekly show dedicated to Gopher Athletics.

“We are excited to continue our partnership with the University of Minnesota’s Golden Gopher Football program and Learfield Sports,” said Clear Channel Radio Market President Michael Crusham. “The combination of FM 100.3 KFAN, and our five other radio brands allows us to mutually grow both of our programs. Golden Gopher Football is headed to a higher level and so are we. We will enjoy the ride together for the next three years and hopefully many more.”

Gopher Sports Properties is a property of Learfield Sports, which manages the multimedia rights for nearly 100 collegiate properties and titles the prestigious Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup with award co-founders NACDA and USA Today. Learfield’s multimedia rights encompass numerous content distribution platforms to deliver the passion of college athletics across radio, television and digital networks to fans globally. For more about the company, its 40-year history and comprehensive portfolio, visit learfieldsports.com.

-Gopher Football-

Cue old guys complaining about PA, Common, & Barreiro in 3....2.....1....

KFAN has become a lot more favorable toward the Gophers since they became the radio home. I remember when callers would be ridiculed for wanting to talk about the Gophers. Things change once the bread being buttered is yours.

KFAN has become a lot more favorable toward the Gophers since they became the radio home. I remember when callers would be ridiculed for wanting to talk about the Gophers. Things change once the bread being buttered is yours.

True; and I've done almost a 180 on this. If Kill can keep winning 8 plus games a year it should be good for everybody. They'll never be granted "most favored nation" status on KFAN as long as Clear Channel can keep the Vikings contract, but the game day production is pretty hard to complain about.

This is the most intriguing part of the announcement:

One of the things we are most excited about is leveraging Clear Channel’s top-rated, non-sports stations to help promote Gopher athletics to a wider audience.”

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/031014aaa.html

True; and I've done almost a 180 on this. If Kill can keep winning 8 plus games a year it should be good for everybody. They'll never be granted "most favored nation" status on KFAN as long as Clear Channel can keep the Vikings contract, but the game day production is pretty hard to complain about.

This is the most intriguing part of the announcement:

One of the things we are most excited about is leveraging Clear Channel’s top-rated, non-sports stations to help promote Gopher athletics to a wider audience.”

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/031014aaa.html

I agree. Though I don't live in town anymore and only listen when in, we've come a long way from even a few years ago. It can only get better.

So pleased to hear this. KFAN does such a better job than WCCO and Dave "Country Hearth Bread" Lee ever did.
And when I'm out of town, streaming on iheartradio.com is top notch. I was really afraid WCCO was going to get the rights back. Glad to see that didn't happen.

So pleased to hear this. KFAN does such a better job than WCCO and Dave "Country Hearth Bread" Lee ever did.
And when I'm out of town, streaming on iheartradio.com is top notch. I was really afraid WCCO was going to get the rights back. Glad to see that didn't happen.

That is "setting the bar" WAY to low.

Now if only Learfield would get their in-game audio upgraded from sounding like it's being phoned in on a string between two tin cans.

That is "setting the bar" WAY to low.

Well what do you want? The overall presentation is actually far better than the Vikings on the same station, because they actually have good announcers, rather than cheerleader Paul Allen and Sideline Sermon Greg Coleman.

The Gophers will never be the top dog for local media. It's just not going to happen. The popularity of the Vikings and the NFL in general is just too much in this town. As a Gopher fan, I'm just glad that we have a professional broadcast team working on the radio now.

JG is solid with Gopher coverage. Glad its back on KFAN.

I would hope there is a lot of cross-promotion with KDWB. Start building those Tweens into Gopher fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would hope there is a lot of cross-promotion with KDWB. Start building those Tweens into Gopher fans.
The Marching Band should see if Clear Channel can help them secure the rights to some current top 40 stuff.

I personally have never been a fan of pop music and I never will be. That being said, it is obvious to me that the way to create atmosphere is to get the student section jumping and the best way to do that is to play pop music.

KDWB is I believe the leading pop music station in the Cities.

Could a potential cross-promotion be to have one of the DJ's from KDWB do the music at the Bank? Would then advertise the DJ being at the Gopher game on KDWB and get the student section rowdy.

I think we have a good balance already of the band and pop music.

In a separate announcement, the Power Trip Morning show announced it will move its Vikings coverage from 98% of its air time to 99.3% for the upcoming year. The plan will continue to maintain this coverage during days where the Wild are in a playoff run, during Olympics, Twins opening day, during the NCAA basketball tournament, and also during football season.

In a separate announcement, the Power Trip Morning show announced it will move its Vikings coverage from 98% of its air time to 99.3% for the upcoming year. The plan will continue to maintain this coverage during days where the Wild are in a playoff run, during Olympics, Twins opening day, during the NCAA basketball tournament, and also during football season.
They know their audience.

I thought 99.3% of their program was dedicated to stupid things Meatsauce says and Hawkey talking about his horrible band.

Top Bottom