Golden will not be Golden

GopherinPhilly

Reaction score
Had breakfast this AM with a buddy of mine who's wife works high up with Temple U Hospital...she told him last night that her friend who works in the Presidents office overheard a conversation between the Prez and AD about Golden and him leaving Temple...exact quote her friend heard was [AD to Prez] "Al isn't going anywhere this year and probably not next."

She had her ears open because she is a Temple alum and huge football fan and I was breaking her balls last week about us stealing Golden...guess not...and I'm going to owe her a bottle of grey goose if he doesn't even interveiw...which it looks like he wont.

He was #2 on my list after Leach...bummer.

Well, if it's from a friend's wife's friend who overheard a conversation, then that settles it.

Well I also heard straight from Nick Saban's mouth that he wasn't leaving Miami.

I am sure Golden said "I'm not going anywhere until next year at least. Don't worry about giving me a raise, I signed a contract."

Didn't REO Speedwagon write a song about this? You know, "Heard it from a friend who, heard it from a friend who . . . ."

Well, if it's from a friend's wife's friend who overheard a conversation, then that settles it.

Rodent...normally I would agree with your sarcasm...but I know how high up these people are at Temple...and the conversation took place in the Prez's outer office.

I expect a press release or a quote from the AD or Golden after their next game...

I know that when I want all my late-breaking Gophers news, I get it from the medical school administration.

I don't find it that unbelievable.

I'm sure Golden is content being loved in Temple while waiting for that Penn State job to open up.

Well I also heard straight from Nick Saban's mouth that he wasn't leaving Miami.

I am sure Golden said "I'm not going anywhere until next year at least. Don't worry about giving me a raise, I signed a contract."

Golden signed a 5 year extension after last season with a doubling of his salary and a big buyout penalty ($2.5 mil plus) if he leaves in the first two years of the contract. That said...everyone thinks he is waiting for the PSU job to open up in a couple of years...

Golden signed a 5 year extension after last season with a doubling of his salary and a big buyout penalty ($2.5 mil plus) if he leaves in the first two years of the contract. That said...everyone thinks he is waiting for the PSU job to open up in a couple of years...

He isn't the only one waiting for it. The longer Joe Pa stays the more likely that it will go to a hot new coach in a conference that is tougher than the Mid-American. In my opinion you have to make one move before you get from lower division school to a school the stature of PSU. Look at the path of Urban Meyer for example.

And if the Prez said this, it was probably merely his astute onservation that "Golden isn't going anywhere this year, and probably next" because no one is going to make him an offer until then.

He's a good coach. He turned around Temple. But I think people sometimes forget that Temple moved to the MAC.

He isn't the only one waiting for it. The longer Joe Pa stays the more likely that it will go to a hot new coach in a conference that is tougher than the Mid-American. In my opinion you have to make one move before you get from lower division school to a school the stature of PSU. Look at the path of Urban Meyer for example.

The difference is Urban Meyer never played at Florida or was an assistant coach there prior, while Golden has this history with PSU.

I don't find it that unbelievable.

I'm sure Golden is content being loved in Temple while waiting for that Penn State job to open up.

Here's the thing. There are 3-4 guys out there who are all sitting on their hands waiting for JoePa to:

A)retire
B)go room temperature
C)get forced out kicking and screaming like Bobby Bowden
D)show up on the sidelines without any pants on (I saw a halftime interview with JoePa that was cringe inducing. Paterno made Sid look non-senile)

Unless PSU comes up with some sort of unique and innovative job sharing arrangement, only one of these guys gets to take over Paterno's whistle. Maybe Golden, Schiano, and a couple of other guys legitimately think they're the man, but somebody's in dreamland. IMHO, it comes down to whether JoePa gets to pick his own successor. If he does, its prolly one of his current coordinators.

Philly, not discounting your source, but everyone has a price. Golden might decide that definitely getting $2MM is better than maybe winding up in Happy Valley. And it may have been the conversation you heard was the AD's false bravado to his boss. Sort of like whistling past the graveyard

The difference is Urban Meyer never played at Florida or was an assistant coach there prior, while Golden has this history with PSU.

I understand that. I used Urban Meyer as an example. I doubt you will find many hires that end of being successful (by PSU & UF) standards who jumped from such a low level of D1 football to a premier school regardless of if they played at that school or not.

She has balls?

Had breakfast this AM with a buddy of mine who's wife works high up with Temple U Hospital...she told him last night that her friend who works in the Presidents office overheard a conversation between the Prez and AD about Golden and him leaving Temple...exact quote her friend heard was [AD to Prez] "Al isn't going anywhere this year and probably not next."

She had her ears open because she is a Temple alum and huge football fan and I was breaking her balls last week about us stealing Golden...guess not...and I'm going to owe her a bottle of grey goose if he doesn't even interveiw...which it looks like he wont.

He was #2 on my list after Leach...bummer.

This makes the whole message suspect...

Golden wouldn't succeed here. He would at PSU. There is that much difference in program status and program support. Starts with talent. Recruiting to PSU v Minnesota? Think about it. The smart up and comers don't go to coach's graveyards.

Golden wouldn't succeed here. He would at PSU. There is that much difference in program status and program support. Starts with talent. Recruiting to PSU v Minnesota? Think about it. The smart up and comers don't go to coach's graveyards.

Temple has long been a symbol of vitality...

Very different level of competition. Level of competing programs. Amount of school administration support require to compete. etc, etc... Get it?

Very different level of competition. Level of competing programs. Amount of school administration support require to compete. etc, etc... Get it?

I really don't. The same could have been said when Golden was an assistant at Virginia looking for a head coaching job and decided to jump at the Temple job when he could have waited for other mid-major jobs with a better amount of school administration support require to compete. etc, etc. Maybe golden views the Gopher job as bird in hand and the Penn State job as the two in the bush.

Perhaps he does.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JdfeW2h8Qo4?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JdfeW2h8Qo4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That's a great commercial. First time I saw it, I almost fell out of the chair laughing.

I understand that. I used Urban Meyer as an example. I doubt you will find many hires that end of being successful (by PSU & UF) standards who jumped from such a low level of D1 football to a premier school regardless of if they played at that school or not.

That didn't work too well for Grinnin Glen and the tOSU gig. Truth is when you are an iconic football program you can hire who you think fits best for the program, regardless of the level they last coached. Man I wish we were an iconic football program...

That didn't work too well for Grinnin Glen and the tOSU gig. Truth is when you are an iconic football program you can hire who you think fits best for the program, regardless of the level they last coached. Man I wish we were an iconic football program...

Urban Meyer also had a slightly higher winning percentage than Glen Mason. One of them took their teams to the top of the conference at every stop, the other not so much.

The MAC (Temple) isn't lower than Utah's conference (WAC or Mountain West or whatever) he got the Florida job because he was great at Utah and Bowling Green. If Golden started winning multiple MAC championships he could absolutely make the jump straight to PSU. Look at Tressel. But right now I don't think he's at that level and taking a job such as Minnesota could make sense. He obviously isn't scared of taking over programs that are on life support.

I can tell you that I am hearing something different down here in Austin. From what I am hearing is that Bradshaw is worried that Al will get snagged up by a major conference. Not necessarily the Gophers, but there is a real concern that Al will leave. They have also openly discussed this on AM 1300 the zone a couple of days agao....but the Gophers were not mentioned.

The MAC (Temple) isn't lower than Utah's conference (WAC or Mountain West or whatever) he got the Florida job because he was great at Utah and Bowling Green. If Golden started winning multiple MAC championships he could absolutely make the jump straight to PSU. Look at Tressel. But right now I don't think he's at that level and taking a job such as Minnesota could make sense. He obviously isn't scared of taking over programs that are on life support.

The MAC is lower than the MWC, Sagarin ranks it as the #13 Conference, lower than the I-AA Big Sky (counting the independents as a conference). The MWC is ranked as the #8 conference, again, counting the independents as a conference.

But you're right that it doesn't matter. A good coach is a good coach.

I know a friend, who knows a co-worker, who knows another friend of a guy who pumped the gas for Tony Dungy at the service station, and he gets the impression that Tony is coming here!

I'm worried that Golden will bolt to PSU once that position becomes available!

The idea that he's blindly committed to Temple for another year is ridiculous, regardless of whether he'd come here. If Georgia comes calling offering him the job, I refuse to believe he'd turn it down on the simple basis that he 'thinks' he has PSU in the bag. Greg Shiano supposedly turned down jobs for the same reason. I think he's kicking himself now.

Top Bottom