Golden Gophers in the NFL - 2024 Season

100%. Winfield was gone but Fleck got him to stick around.

I also put more stock in who a player developed under vs. who recruited them. For example, Tyler Johnson does not become the receiver he did under Kill's WR coach.

In the end though it really doesn't matter which coach was responsible for a Gopher in the NFL, the important part is guys are getting into the the league and having success. That is good for the program.

We definitely have more players making an impact in the NFL right now than we have had for quite some time which is great to see. Hopefully it is a trend that continues.
I feel the same way. Both Mason and Brewster deserve some credit for a guy like Eric decker.

The guy who usually deserves the most credit is the player themself

I feel the same way. Both Mason and Brewster deserve some credit for a guy like Eric decker.

The guy who usually deserves the most credit is the player themself
It can certainly make for an interesting debate but some get way too hung up on which coach deserves the credit. Especially now in the transfer portal era with all the player movement there will be multiple teams/coaches that can claim a stake in a player.

It can certainly make for an interesting debate but some get way too hung up on which coach deserves the credit. Especially now in the transfer portal era with all the player movement there will be multiple teams/coaches that can claim a stake in a player.
And I truly believe the player is responsible for at least 51% of their own development…and probably more

I still remember the mid 2000's when we have MB3 in the NFL and pretty much every broadcast would mention how Minnesota produces great RB talent (this was when we have MB3, Maroney, and Gary Russell) and had dual 1000 yard rushers.

saw a note that former Gopher Austin Booker had 2-1/2 sacks and 3 QB hits for the Bears in their most recent pre-season game.

Booker started with the Gophers - played in 6 games in 2022 with 2 tackles. then transferred to Kansas. broke out in 2023 with 56 tackles and 8 sacks in 12 games. Bears picked him in the 5th round of the draft.

Not NFL but turned on the Arena league (I know it's not Arena anymore but I'm old and cranky). Just in time to see Shannon Brooks score a touchdown for Arizona in a rout of Massachusetts in the title game.

Damien Wilson cut by Cowboys

Kyler Baugh cut by Giants

I hope Mo finds a spot, he definitely deserves it.

18 is not a bad run for the current program that hasn't been able to breakthrough on the field completely. Averaging 2.5 to the NFL each year.

Here's where things look today after the 53 man deadline. I'll update if anyone makes practice squads, etc.

NFL 53 Man Rosters
  • Rashod Bateman, WR, Baltimore Ravens
  • De’Vondre Campbell, LB, San Francisco 49ers
  • Blake Cashman, LB, Minnesota Vikings
  • Carter Coughlin, LB, New York Giants
  • Daniel Faalele, OT, Baltimore Ravens
  • Jack Gibbons, LB, Tennessee Titans
  • Jordan Howden, S, New Orleans Saints
  • Tyler Johnson, WR, Los Angeles Rams
  • Ko Kieft, TE, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • Boye Mafe, LB, Seattle Seahawks
  • Eric Murray, S, Houston Texans
  • Tyler Nubin, S, New York Giants
  • Esezi Otomewo, DE, Jacksonville Jaguars
  • John Michael Schmitz Jr., C, New York Giants
  • Terrell Smith, CB, Chicago Bears
  • Benjamin St-Juste, CB, Washington Commanders
  • Brevyn Spann-Ford, TE, Dallas Cowboys
  • Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
NFL Reserve/Injured
  • Chris Collins, LB, Los Angeles Chargers
NFL Practice Squads
  • Thomas Rush, LB, Tennessee Titans
Free Agents
  • Kyler Baugh, DT
  • Corey Crooms, WR
  • Chuck Filiaga, OL
  • Mohamed Ibrahim, RB
  • Damien Wilson, LB
  • Ryan Santoso, K
Other Leagues
  • Shannon Brooks, RB, Arizona Rattlers, IFL
  • Demry Croft, Duke City Gladiators, IFL
  • Chris Streveler, QB, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, CFL
  • Drew Wolitarsky, WR, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, CFL

Last edited:

The new NFL season kicks off Thursday night when the Baltimore Ravens visit the Kansas City Chiefs.
Once again, several former Minnesota Golden Gophers are on NFL teams and continuing their quest for a trip to the Super Bowl.
While rosters are always in flux throughout a season, the 2024 campaign begins with 16 Gophers on NFL teams — all on active rosters compared to practice squads, and with over half of them in starting roles.
Thirteen of the 32 NFL teams have at least one Gopher on their roster to start the season.

Below is the full list of Gophers on NFL teams as of Thursday.

• S Antoine Winfield Jr. — Tampa Bay Buccaneers, starter
  • TE Ko Kieft — Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • CB Benjamin St-Juste — Washington Commanders, starter
  • OL John Michael Schmitz — New York Giants, starter
  • LB Carter Coughlin — New York Giants,
  • CB Terrel Smith — Chicago Bears,
  • LB Jack Gibbens — Tennessee Titans,
  • LB Boye Mafe — Seattle Seahawks, starter
  • S Eric Murray — Houston Texans,
  • DL Esezi Otomewo — Jacksonville Jaguars,
  • S Jordan Howden — New Orleans Saints, starter
  • WR Tyler Johnson — Los Angeles Rams,
  • OT Daniel Faalele — Baltimore Ravens, starter
  • WR Rashod Bateman — Baltimore Ravens, starter
  • LB De’Vondre Campbell — San Francisco 49ers, starter
  • LB Blake Cashman — Minnesota Vikings, starter
Good luck to them all, especially Bateman and Faalele, who are in action Thursday night!

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom