GOLD OUT

It was a flop. Just like every other gold out. A third party walking in to the stadium would never have even thought it looked like a gold out.

It was another failure. The simple lesson is this is a three step process to having a successful gold out and we are not yet to step one.

1. Regular sold out stadium
2. Wired in fans (not 30% using friend's tickets, checking out the game with nothing else to do, etc.)
3. Successful gold out

It is silly to try when you are still a ways from step 1.

Is that because of the attendance or poor participation? I'm in Europe for work so I'm only going off the few pics I've seen but the sideline STH seats looked to be pretty sparse (fewer than last week) and the student section looked about as full as last week...

Both. Announced attendance was 44,9xx (can't remember exact number) so it was spotty, and there was poor participation. Lots of gold, but not enough to call it a "gold-out".

Is that because of the attendance or poor participation? I'm in Europe for work so I'm only going off the few pics I've seen but the sideline STH seats looked to be pretty sparse (fewer than last week) and the student section looked about as full as last week...

I thought participation was quite good, and know a lot of people who bought shirts to be part of it. Attendance is the main problem. With that many empty seats, it's just not going to look like any kind of "-out."

I noticed the student section had gold towels. I also noticed at the end of the game that there was a small poster by the stairs of my section that said if you bought 2 bottle of coke product you got a free rally towel (or something along that line). My hubby buys a pop for each of us before we go to our seats so I don't know if they had the signs at the concession stands. I'm guessing not since I didn't see any, anywhere else but the student section. Maybe it was only for students?

How hard or expensive would it have been to give everyone a towel upon entering?

As far as an actual Gold Out goes...Failure. Too many losers wearing maroon.

By watching on TV, it was a pretty poor "gold out" participation. I was borderline excited to turn on the TV yesterday and see a stadium filled with gold (or at least a high percentage) but I was disappointed.

I don't know how to improve on this. Free T's? Alternating months of preferred colors worn by fans (Sept Gold, Oct Maroon, Nov. Gold....)? Perhaps having more drunken gopher hooligans harassing non participating fans? I don't know.

Why does it always have to be a gold out? Why not a Maroon out? I personally like Maroon much better. I DO like the idea of having lower deck be gold and upper deck be Maroon or vice versa.

I noticed the student section had gold towels. I also noticed at the end of the game that there was a small poster by the stairs of my section that said if you bought 2 bottle of coke product you got a free rally towel (or something along that line). My hubby buys a pop for each of us before we go to our seats so I don't know if they had the signs at the concession stands. I'm guessing not since I didn't see any, anywhere else but the student section. Maybe it was only for students?

How hard or expensive would it have been to give everyone a towel upon entering?

I entered through gate C, and they handed me a towel.

Why does it always have to be a gold out? Why not a Maroon out? I personally like Maroon much better. I DO like the idea of having lower deck be gold and upper deck be Maroon or vice versa.

exactly. I own about four or five pieces of Gopher gear and every one is maroon. Why? It's a much more practical color. I'd bet anything the same is true of most Gopher fans. It doesn't get as dirty, it isn't as loud, etc. If they did a Maroon Out it would be much more successful.

Here is an iphone pic I snapped Saturday morning from BWW of fans getting ready to celebrate the Gold Out. For the life of me, I can't understand why they don't try just one Maroon Out just to see what might happen...

431276_4501997718307_283191736_n.jpg

As long as we are dreaming about how to get the fans to wear one color or the other, I would like to see maroon and gold in alternating sections. Lets see us pull that one off as long as we are dreaming.

If you go to the 1:27 mark or so, it looks pretty good in the stands there.

Here is an iphone pic I snapped Saturday morning from BWW of fans getting ready to celebrate the Gold Out. For the life of me, I can't understand why they don't try just one Maroon Out just to see what might happen...

A "Maroon Out" was attempted back in the Dome vs Iowa - I was at the game...2005 or 2006 I think. It was a failure.

A "Maroon Out" was attempted back in the Dome vs Iowa - I was at the game...2005 or 2006 I think. It was a failure.

Well, of course it was. It was against Iowa. Iowans love that place more than any location in Iowa. Loved it far more than we did.

Top Bottom