Go Get Musselman

Musselman is never coming here even if we had an opening and wanted him. Plus USC is a better job. So is Arkansas.

Imagine spending $100 million to buy out a coach! That’s not valuing athletics. That’s genuflecting at the alter of athletics, also know as having the university’s priorities backwards.
Not really the case. It's possible to be both an excellent school academically, and also have deep pockets, both of which A&M does. Whether it's because they have a bunch of boosters who willingly cough up funds or some combination of that plus the school itself, fact is it's an excellent school.

Why do we act like lil' mussy is some displaced "one of us" who has any interest in "coming home"?

Sure, he spent a few years here as a child when his dad was coaching, but he also spent time in San Diego as a child, and he went to high school in Ohio.

He played college ball at San Diego.

He was an assistant for 1 season for the Wolves between stints at Rapid City. He then coached in Florida, Atlanta, California, Memphis, back to California, Reno, back to California, Arizona State, LSU, Nevada and Arkansas.

I want him no where near this program.

Why do we act like lil' mussy is some displaced "one of us" who has any interest in "coming home"?

Sure, he spent a few years here as a child when his dad was coaching, but he also spent time in San Diego as a child, and he went to high school in Ohio.

He played college ball at San Diego.

He was an assistant for 1 season for the Wolves between stints at Rapid City. He then coached in Florida, Atlanta, California, Memphis, back to California, Reno, back to California, Arizona State, LSU, Nevada and Arkansas.

I want him no where near this program.
I thought I remember hearing rumors when Pitino was fired that he wanted to interview here but that the administration didn't even give him an interview? Maybe that's wrong so don't quote me on it.
Either way, the Prez at the U need to immediately fire Coyle and hire Mankato's AD. He is the best in the business and knows how to win at literally everything. Coyle is a loser just like all the other woke loser's they've hired at the U over the years.

Get someone that knows winning. Winning all the time, and winning in every sport. Nothing will change until the attitude at the U does.

I thought I remember hearing rumors when Pitino was fired that he wanted to interview here but that the administration didn't even give him an interview? Maybe that's wrong so don't quote me on it.
Either way, the Prez at the U need to immediately fire Coyle and hire Mankato's AD. He is the best in the business and knows how to win at literally everything. Coyle is a loser just like all the other woke loser's they've hired at the U over the years.

Get someone that knows winning. Winning all the time, and winning in every sport. Nothing will change until the attitude at the U does.
Wrong firing & AD. It was when Tubby Smith was dismissed that Eric Musselman was seeking a job interview.

The primary source I have heard claiming that he longed to come back to Minnesota and rehabilitate his father's legacy is Dan Barreiro. He still talks about it from time to time, claiming to "know" that they could have had him when they let Tubby go and it wouldn't have cost as much as people think.

The primary source I have heard claiming that he longed to come back to Minnesota and rehabilitate his father's legacy is Dan Barreiro. He still talks about it from time to time, claiming to "know" that they could have had him when they let Tubby go and it wouldn't have cost as much as people think.
When Tubby was let go, Eric Musselman was an Asst at Arizona St (even though he was previously an NBA HC at Golden St & Sacramento), so in 2013 I am sure cost was not an issue, as he wound up going to Nevada in the Mtn West (but not until 2015).

I keep hearing that.

You know who else taken the job after Tubby was gone? Literally anyone who had the same resume as mussy their 3 previous seasons.

2012-2013 Arizona State (Asst.)
2011-2012 Los Angeles Defenders
2010-2011 Reno Bighorns

Yeah, he probably would have taken the job for a reasonable salary [smh emoji]

It took him 2 years and 1 more stop as LSU before he got a head coaching gig at Nevada.

I keep hearing that.

You know who else taken the job after Tubby was gone? Literally anyone who had the same resume as mussy their 3 previous seasons.

2012-2013 Arizona State (Asst.)
2011-2012 Los Angeles Defenders
2010-2011 Reno Bighorns

Yeah, he probably would have taken the job for a reasonable salary [smh emoji]

It took him 2 years and 1 more stop as LSU before he got a head coaching gig at Nevada.
What's cool is that he actually had been a head coach at some level. But you are right- it was too early in his career for a Big Ten head coaching job.

Yup.

Clem had far less wrongdoing than many coaches/programs that got zero or very light penalties.

But you're correct about throwing White & Mbakwe under the bus. That was DEVASTATING. Add them to our NCAA team that was set to return its top-9 players...and it's the National Championship favorite.

If you fight hard, bring in lawyers and show them you mean business...the NCAA backs off.
He beat up a woman he was trying to sexually assault. That's on him, not the U.

What's cool is that he actually had been a head coach at some level. But you are right- it was too early in his career for a Big Ten head coaching job.
Unlike Patino and Johnson? Oh never mind.

Musselman is never coming here even if we had an opening and wanted him. Plus USC is a better job. So is Arkansas.
How do you know that? Would ANYONE have thought that Tubby Smith would take this job after leaving Kentucky? If we don't even put in a call, just drop down to D2, because we have no interest in competing.....

Yup.

Clem had far less wrongdoing than many coaches/programs that got zero or very light penalties.

But you're correct about throwing White & Mbakwe under the bus. That was DEVASTATING. Add them to our NCAA team that was set to return its top-9 players...and it's the National Championship favorite.

If you fight hard, bring in lawyers and show them you mean business...the NCAA backs off.
As to our Final Four with Clem. I have exhaustingly searched where the Final Four banner is and I have located it. It’s not with the school. My goal is to sneak it into the rafters once again.

He beat up a woman he was trying to sexually assault. That's on him, not the U.
He was never convicted of that, claimed he was innocent and from reading about the incident, I think there's a legitimate chance it was mistaken identity. She picked him off a team roster after being told the basketball team was having a party at that apartment building and her original description was pretty far off from Trevor on height and weight.

Yup.

They didn't back then. For a guy who likes to trot out the past you seem to forget the parts that aren't convenient to your argument.

We aren't Kentucky or UNC no one cares if we get the hammer. Ask Jerry Tarkanian.

As to our Final Four with Clem. I have exhaustingly searched where the Final Four banner is and I have located it. It’s not with the school. My goal is to sneak it into the rafters once again.
I would volunteer my assistance

He was never convicted of that, claimed he was innocent and from reading about the incident, I think there's a legitimate chance it was mistaken identity. She picked him off a team roster after being told the basketball team was having a party at that apartment building and her original description was pretty far off from Trevor on height and weight.
Possibly, I have no idea what happened. I don't think many people plea no contest (which does result in a conviction) to such egregious crimes. A couple years later he pled guilty to harassing a woman and violating a restraining order - so he doesn't/didn't have the greatest track record.

My entire point is that the U had absolutely no choice but to act on Mbakwe. This was not a guy who got a drinking ticket, got into a bar fight, etc. He pled no contest to an egregious crime.

Wait until the USC contract details come out and you will see why this thread never had a chance.
They're going to film an autobiography of his life starring Matt Damon....

Let's Ocean's 11 this m-fer and get it back up! I'm in for the Elliott Gould role, I mean, I already have the bathrobe.

Texas a&m paid ~$100m to fire jimbo fisher and his assistant coaches (football) this past year. There are schools that value athletics, the U doesn’t.

That money wasn’t solely paid by their athletic department, never know any large ones which have been. Their alums have oil 💰 Soggy. Your comment, makes me wonder, if your last name is Rube?

Oil 💰 >>>Lutefisk 💰

If you’re so concerned about it, then why don’t you share with class how much you’ve donated?

A cursory search, pulled this up, this regarding the buyout -

This ballpark takes you to $55 million all-in within the next few months. This is money, Bjork said, that will come from athletic department coffers and the independent 12th Man Foundation (A&M booster club) funds.

“There’s buckets that the 12th Man Foundation houses within their structure,” Bjork said. “Those are flexible funds that we had a conversation about and said those funds are to benefit athletics. They raise money for championship athletics, and our mission is championship athletics and opportunities. You sit down, you have those conversations. They have their discussions within their organization. That’s the one-time funds. The ongoing payments that are required in the contract, those will be athletic department funds. We grow revenue, we have new TV deals coming up, new sponsorship contracts coming up. We’re repurposing a lot of our revenue buckets so we have a lot of new revenue coming our way, too, but we also have to manage expenses.”

Last edited:

They did put his picture back up in the Barn, so it's not like you have no chance getting the banner re-hung. I remeber going to a game maybe the season after Clem and you could see the blank spot and the holes that anchored his picture on the wall.

Top Bottom