GH: Gopher Marching Band to Create New Traditions at TCF Bank Stadium

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
In its ongoing "TCF Bank Stadium - Changing Gopher Athletics Forever" series, GopherHole.com talks with Tim Diem, the Director of the University of Minnesota Marching Band. Diem talks about the Marching Band's new home inside TCF Bank Stadium, traditions, and what kind of an impact the stadium will have on the band.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1034

Band Seating

I can't believe they didn't make the Band Seating Area large enough to accomodate the entire band. I thought, when I was there on Saturday, that it looked awful small and was quite packed with the couple hundred band members that were there. Now add at least another 100, where do you put them. What kind of planning was this?

Get rid of flutes and clarinets, problem solved ;)

I can't believe they didn't make the Band Seating Area large enough to accomodate the entire band. I thought, when I was there on Saturday, that it looked awful small and was quite packed with the couple hundred band members that were there. Now add at least another 100, where do you put them. What kind of planning was this?

Poor. But when this is the biggest flaw anyone has found up until now I think they did a great job on the stadium.

I got a few tears in my eyes thinking about this at TCF!!! :eek:

GH: Besides the band's entrance, what other changes will there be in the pre-game show?

TD:

I hope we'll have everyone in that building roaring as the Drum Major does that traditional back bend in Minnesota March, as we do the cascade sequence and expand the Block M for the first time, as the "Swinging Gates" set to "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" brings the colors down the field, as the giant Representational American Flag rolls out, and is ready for the team to come blasting through the gauntlet. We'll also make sure the Drum Major practices that toss over the goal post to bring the Gophers some luck each week.

In its ongoing "TCF Bank Stadium - Changing Gopher Athletics Forever" series, GopherHole.com talks with Tim Diem, the Director of the University of Minnesota Marching Band. Diem talks about the Marching Band's new home inside TCF Bank Stadium, traditions, and what kind of an impact the stadium will have on the band.

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1034

Tryouts. Can anyone explain this process? I personally see no reason to have a larger MB. I just want the best marching band.

I don't have the answer, but this could have been intentional. It wasn't that long ago (maybe 10-15 years) that the band was MUCH smaller, around 200 people. If the band gets that small again, maybe the thought is that they do not want extra seats in the band area. Perhaps they are content with 250 or so band members in the stands, and then accomodating the extra 80 or so on the field if needed. Just a thought.

I don't have the answer, but this could have been intentional. It wasn't that long ago (maybe 10-15 years) that the band was MUCH smaller, around 200 people. If the band gets that small again, maybe the thought is that they do not want extra seats in the band area. Perhaps they are content with 250 or so band members in the stands, and then accomodating the extra 80 or so on the field if needed. Just a thought.

I imagine a portion of them never sit down, and were planned to be on the field.

Top Bottom