GH: Big Ten Network Exceeding Expectations in Every Single Area

I can't even express how frustrating this article is to me! The President of the BTN says "we’re available just about everywhere in the United States and Canada". He fails that mention that THOUSANDS of Gophers fans right here in Minnesota are NOT included and have very little access to our favorite football and basketball teams anymore because of the BTN.

Many smaller cable companies in outstate Minnesota do not have the BTN because they are charging the small cable companies more per subscriber to carry the BTN than they charge the large Comcasts of the world. Their entire goal was to get into the big markets, as the President says. To do this, they gave the big boys a big discount. In other words, if you are not in the Top 20 media markets...who cares!! As long as the BTN is available in Los Angeles, Houston, New York and other Big Ten hotbeds it doesn't matter if it's not availabe in Marshall, MN or Fergus Falls, MN (not sure...just an example). Those people in small town MN don't care as much about the Big Ten as our fans in Phoenix do!

You can tell by this article it's all about the number of TV houses, which is kind of a joke. When he says it's available in 70% of the TV homes in America, my question is: in how many of those homes is it on Channel 200 or above? Is it really more important for the BTN to be on Channel 458 in New Orleans than it is for it to be on in Worthington, MN at all?!? I don't think so.

This rosy little article about how great the BTN is with quotes from this smug executive who continues to demand that subsribers of small cable companies in MN pay more to see the Gophers than large company customers do in Memphis put a damper on what had been a great Gopher weekend for this fan!

I can't even express how frustrating this article is to me! The President of the BTN says "we’re available just about everywhere in the United States and Canada". He fails that mention that THOUSANDS of Gophers fans right here in Minnesota are NOT included and have very little access to our favorite football and basketball teams anymore because of the BTN.

Many smaller cable companies in outstate Minnesota do not have the BTN because they are charging the small cable companies more per subscriber to carry the BTN than they charge the large Comcasts of the world. Their entire goal was to get into the big markets, as the President says. To do this, they gave the big boys a big discount. In other words, if you are not in the Top 20 media markets...who cares!! As long as the BTN is available in Los Angeles, Houston, New York and other Big Ten hotbeds it doesn't matter if it's not availabe in Marshall, MN or Fergus Falls, MN (not sure...just an example). Those people in small town MN don't care as much about the Big Ten as our fans in Phoenix do!

You can tell by this article it's all about the number of TV houses, which is kind of a joke. When he says it's available in 70% of the TV homes in America, my question is: in how many of those homes is it on Channel 200 or above? Is it really more important for the BTN to be on Channel 458 in New Orleans than it is for it to be on in Worthington, MN at all?!? I don't think so.

This rosy little article about how great the BTN is with quotes from this smug executive who continues to demand that subsribers of small cable companies in MN pay more to see the Gophers than large company customers do in Memphis put a damper on what had been a great Gopher weekend for this fan!

2 words:
Get Satellite.

2 words:
Get Satellite.

Fair point. I figured that was coming. Satellite isn't a good option here because we do not get any Minnesota TV stations with satellite. While we would be gaining Gopher sports, we would lose news all year around and some other sporting events that are only broadcast on Mpls. TV. I have to make a choice and, so far, I've chosen Minnesota broadcast TV year around over Gopher games during the fall and winter. The point is, living in Minnesota, I shouldn't HAVE to make that choice.

Also...not everyone can get satellite. People that live in townhomes, apartments, etc. often are not allowed. Satellite is not the answer to this problem. Fair pricing by the BTN that values fans in small markets in Big Ten country as much as they value big market customers in the rest of the country (and Canada!) is the answer.

Big Ten Network is coming to Ottertail cable users this fall.

Satellite does provide Minnesota TV broadcasts ... this has been available for about 15 years. Also, townhomes, condos, apartments, etc. are legally required to allow residents to install Satellite dishes.

Satellite does provide Minnesota TV broadcasts ... this has been available for about 15 years. Also, townhomes, condos, apartments, etc. are legally required to allow residents to install Satellite dishes.

Yes, satellite does provide MN locals. But not everywhere in MN. The local channels you get are based on your zip code. And in swmngo4's case, Worthington, MN is in a zip code that gets Souix Falls, SD locals (see first attached image from DISH website). Satellite providers have to "spot beam" local channels in order to be able to provide coverage for more locations. I've mocked up an example of how spot beamed locals look on a map (attached below). That means you typically get the local channels of the nearest metro area. Sometimes this ends up sucking (like for SW MN residents). Cable companies can provide more flexibility in this regard.

Also, apts/townhomes/condos are required by FCC regs to allow you to get satellite TV within certain limits. They can keep you from putting it up on a roof for instance. But basically if you can get signal and can attach it to a balcony or pole (for ground floor units) then they aren't supposed to be able to stop you (not that FCC regs matter if your management wants to be a**hats about it).

Attachments

• locals.jpg
    locals.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 8
  • spot beam_fake example.jpg
    spot beam_fake example.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 10

Thanks, GoAUpher. That's exactly what the deal is. People in SW MN get Sioux Falls TV on dish, people in NW MN get Fargo TV, etc. Not everyone gets Minnesota TV, sports, and weather just because you live in Minnesota :(

Top Bottom