Georgia WR Tyler Williams has committed to MN

Always happy to be educated. I don’t see it

I’m not saying I don’t see potential or raw talent. Sure. I’m saying that he was so far ahead of the competition that it’s not a valid assessment of how he will do against someone of comparable physical talent.
Lakeland’s competition is higher than anything in Minnesota’s high school football.

He is an intriguing prospect with a lot of potential. A little seasoning and patience go a long way. He was a former HS QB (a good portion) who has height and speed.

The plus side of the portal is exactly what Tyler Williams is. He saw two incoming recruits that will likely surpass him in a talent-laden Georgia roster. He opted to transfer to a program that wanted him. Thanks to his connection Gophers Assistant WR Coach Isaiah Walker.

Hit him in the flat and draw the defense on one side toward him and he throws over the top to Jackson.

Lakeland’s competition is higher than anything in Minnesota’s high school football.
First of all, I doubt that. I think the MN 6A champ in most years could hang just fine with Florida public schools. Sure, they have some football factory private schools and that’s not even talking about things like IMG (which aren’t even mostly Florida kids, the campus just happens to be in Florida).

That said, just because a team is great doesn’t mean they had an All-State corner on him.

I will stand by that him running right by non/broken coverage is not a good assessment of how he will compete in the Big Ten.

Look, he got offered committable by Georgia. Their coaching staff saw him competing against good comp somewhere, probably at camps/combines and liked what they saw enough. That’s what’s worth something. The tape offered by PE didn’t do much for me, in of itself.

My hope is that he will be Dylan Wright physically, but with a better attitude and better ability to grasp the playbook.

Last edited:

During Gophers’ spring ball practices, all-Big Ten receiver Daniel Jackson was sidelined by what is believed to be a minor injury. Behind him, few reliable options were on display in three practices open to media members.

New winter transfers Jaylen Varner, from Division II’s Emporia State, was injured during the first open practice and sidelined through last week. Former Penn State player Cristian Driver, the son of former NFL wideout Donald Driver, also was out.

On the field, Elijah Spencer dropped passes in multiple practices, and Le’Meke Brockington didn’t make many big plays. Players further down the depth chart didn’t consistently stand out.

Woof. I get it's spring ball but this doesn't exactly instill confidence.

I had/have high expectations that Spencer or one of the freshman from last year would make the jump (Lanier and McWilliams were All American Bowl participants).

The Jackson injury is the most concerning to me as it seems like there's one guy every year who has something that ends up keeping him out most of the season.

Transferring in tells us his opinion on our FCS quarterback, HC his staff & culture. MGFGA "Don't complain about the cake before tasting it" Betty Crocker.

During Gophers’ spring ball practices, all-Big Ten receiver Daniel Jackson was sidelined by what is believed to be a minor injury. Behind him, few reliable options were on display in three practices open to media members.

New winter transfers Jaylen Varner, from Division II’s Emporia State, was injured during the first open practice and sidelined through last week. Former Penn State player Cristian Driver, the son of former NFL wideout Donald Driver, also was out.

On the field, Elijah Spencer dropped passes in multiple practices, and Le’Meke Brockington didn’t make many big plays. Players further down the depth chart didn’t consistently stand out.

I had/have high expectations that Spencer or one of the freshman from last year would make the jump (Lanier and McWilliams were All American Bowl participants).

The Jackson injury is the most concerning to me as it seems like there's one guy every year who has something that ends up keeping him out most of the season.
It’s spring ball, and there are a lot of guys out.

PJ probably knew it was going to look ugly this spring, and maybe that’s as much a factor as any why he cancelled public spring events.

It’s a thing of, I’d rather look ugly in spring than look ugly in fall camp. The foundation work is messy and ugly. Lay it in spring. Hopefully you can keep building in fall camp.

First of all, I doubt that. I think the MN 6A champ in most years could hang just fine with Florida public schools. Sure, they have some football factory private schools and that’s not even talking about things like IMG (which aren’t even mostly Florida kids, the campus just happens to be in Florida).

That said, just because a team is great doesn’t mean they had an All-State corner on him.

I will stand by that him running right by non/broken coverage is not a good assessment of how he will compete in the Big Ten.

Look, he got offered committable by Georgia. Their coaching staff saw him competing against good comp somewhere, probably at camps/combines and liked what they saw enough. That’s what’s worth something. The tape offered by PE didn’t do much for me, in of itself.

My hope is that he will be Dylan Wright physically, but with a better attitude and better ability to grasp the playbook.
Comparing Florida's HS football to Minnesota's is like comparing Minnesota's HS hockey to Florida's and yes Florida has HS hockey.

Spencer has been disappointing to this point but hopefully he can put it together this year. I'm all for bringing in as many WR as possible to hopefully find a couple that can be reliable options.

You’re right in that we don’t know if he can eg consistently catch the ball. We don’t know if he’s a head case or a discipline problem. Why is he leaving Goegia yada yada. But, thinking positively if he turns out to have a litttle better than the 50/50 hands we’ve seen from a few of the others that elite size and speed…are going to help de-constipate the offense. Splash plays, excitement.

You’re right in that we don’t know if he can eg consistently catch the ball. We don’t know if he’s a head case or a discipline problem. Why is he leaving Goegia yada yada. But, thinking positively if he turns out to have a litttle better than the 50/50 hands we’ve seen from a few of the others that elite size and speed…are going to help de-constipate the offense. Splash plays, excitement.
If he's a legitimate deep ball threat, which it sounds as though he is, his presence will help our other receivers find daylight ... and will help the running game by keeping the safeties honest. Even if he doesn't make 50 catches.

Love the word “de-constipate”. Will have to put it my word list.

If you have seen

If you have seen any Florida high school football I will respect your opinion. If you have not, then not much.

I have seen decades of Minnesota high school football, like most here. Had kids play in the Lake conference. The last decade I have lived the majority of each year in Florida with a lot of opportunity to see Florida high school competition. My assessment is that there is much more talent here and that Florida high school football at all levels is better than Minnesota. Not talking about the elite private academies.

If you have seen

If you have seen any Florida high school football I will respect your opinion. If you have not, then not much.

I have seen decades of Minnesota high school football, like most here. Had kids play in the Lake conference. The last decade I have lived the majority of each year in Florida with a lot of opportunity to see Florida high school competition. My assessment is that there is much more talent here and that Florida high school football at all levels is better than Minnesota. Not talking about the elite private academies.
If you have seen

No, you didn't ask, Citi, but I will tell you anyway. Lakeland has won nine Florida state championships and has sent 11 players to the NFL.

If you have seen

Minnesota high school football IS NOTHING compared to Florida high school football. At all levels. They can train and play all year. We can train all year, and most don't. They put out 200-300 high level players into college every year, we put out 20-25.

Top Bottom