Gaston Diedhiou commits to Gophers

As for the people trying to predict if he's a 4 or a 5, the fact of the matter is we've never seen him play before. Obviously one would think by his height and weight he would be a 4, but maybe he's a physically imposing beast who can transition from PF his freshman year to Center as a Sophomore. It also depends if we land Akolda Manyang or not.

-Bottom Line: I've been openly against the Gophers going after some of the latest HS players on the radar from the east coast (VA, NC), but I really like what the staff did landing this kid here. Sounds like he's a little project, but he fits the Gophers needs like a glove, and if he develops nicely...:clap:

As for the people trying to predict if he's a 4 or a 5, the fact of the matter is we've never seen him play before. Obviously one would think by his height and weight he would be a 4, but maybe he's a physically imposing beast who can transition from PF his freshman year to Center as a Sophomore. It also depends if we land Akolda Manyang or not.

-Bottom Line: I've been openly against the Gophers going after some of the latest HS players on the radar from the east coast (VA, NC), but I really like what the staff did landing this kid here. Sounds like he's a little project, but he fits the Gophers needs like a glove, and if he develops nicely...:clap:

6'9" 240 is plenty big enough for the 5 in college, especially if he actually has a 7'3" wingspan or whatever it was listed at. This isn't the NBA.

I still want 6'-11" center Konate... I see little reason to redshirt a 21 year old (age during the season) PF with mass.

Who cares how old he is? If he's a center it makes sense to redshirt him since Mo and EE will presumably be playing all the minutes there. Why waste a year of eligibility? And I'll be really surprised if he is a PF.

Also, we can still get Konate regardless of what position Gaston is. We need two centers after Mo and EE graduate and we still have open shollys.

If he's a center it makes sense to redshirt him since Mo and EE will presumably be playing all the minutes there.

Why do you assume he is a center? I'd bet most his minutes will be as PF.

Why waste a year of eligibility?

Why would it be a wasted year? If he is big and 21 years old he should be ready to compete next year.

We need two centers after Mo and EE graduate and we still have open shollys

Thank you captain obvious.

Try as I might I am not excited about this. I have confidence in coach Pitino but there are reasons we never heard if this guy before.

I hope he turns into a star, but...

Try as I might I am not excited about this. I have confidence in coach Pitino but there are reasons we never heard if this guy before.

Maybe it's because you are not coaching a B1G team, maybe it's because you don't live in Spain. I don't know, you tell us why you should know the name of every recruit that is any good.

Huh? How so? Our only two centers next year (prior to this commitment) are both seniors. It would be really nice to have someone developing behind them next season so we have a center ready to play major minutes the year after. Counting on bringing in two true freshman centers who are both Big Ten ready in 2015 is extremely risky. Bringing this guy in as a center now and redshirting him makes perfect sense.

uh, maybe because he isn't a center, at least i hope he doesn't turn out to be as we already have two fifth year seniors at center next year and he would get no minutes while PF is our weakest position and he would maybe start right away. At least for next year.

If he turns into a star, look like Coach Mchale gets credit for finding this lad.

‏@FromTheBarn
Dan McHale coached at Seton Hall. Seton Hall has 3 players from Canarias Bball Academy. Gaston Diedhiou goes there. Mystery solved.

____

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson 5m
Told TBD on new commit 6'9" Gaston Diedhiou (Gas-tone Dee-eye-doo) red-shirting. Maybe. #Gophers love his athleticism/rebounding skills

No $hit Doogie... you don't decide to RS a kid before you see what they can do in summer and fall practice. Sheeze.

This makes me way more excited then a piper commit ever would. 6-9, 240, 7-3 wingspan, supposedly athletic, mature at 21 and will probably end up starting at our weakest position. I view him a Juco transfer that has 4 years of eligibility.

uh, maybe because he isn't a center, at least i hope he doesn't turn out to be as we already have two fifth year seniors at center next year and he would get no minutes while PF is our weakest position and he would maybe start right away. At least for next year.

Why are you so focused on next season? If he can't help next season he is worthless? I don't get it. If you wait until 2015 to get any centers then you are depending on first year players. That's pretty risky. Might as well get one now so he can develop and adjust some next season before being expected to start. Also, we already have Josh Martin coming and we're going after Illikainen hard, so getting another 4 year PF would be kind of stupid (would make way more sense to get a grad transfer).

Why are you so focused on next season? If he can't help next season he is worthless? I don't get it. If you wait until 2015 to get any centers then you are depending on first year players. That's pretty risky. Might as well get one now so he can develop and adjust some next season before being expected to start. Also, we already have Josh Martin coming and we're going after Illikainen hard, so getting another 4 year PF would be kind of stupid (would make way more sense to get a grad transfer).

If he proves to be a capable 4 this summer, that's where he'll play this season. Whether he is a 4, a 5, or a redshirt, Pitino still knows better than you where he fits into the equation (not meant to be an insult). Let the coaching staff make the decision, because they'll see him in practice every day this summer and figure out where to put him for the season.

If you wait until 2015 to get any centers then you are depending on first year players. That's pretty risky.

More reason to want 6'-11" center Konate to learn behind Mo and EE next year.

Why are you so focused on next season? If he can't help next season he is worthless?

If a mature, athletic, 240lbs 21yr old cannot help at our weakest position next year I'd be worried about how much he can help the following season.

I don't get it.

You said it best.

Dark horse pick for our starting five next season: Lil Dre, Big Dre, Martin, Gaston, and Mo. Would be a great 2-3 defensive unit at least.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I think he's a bit of a project too, but he can get his feet wet a little next year, plus we have Mo and EE, Joey, Hulk and Buggs on the roster as well no need to rush this guy

If he turns into a star, look like Coach Mchale gets credit for finding this lad.

‏@FromTheBarn
Dan McHale coached at Seton Hall. Seton Hall has 3 players from Canarias Bball Academy. Gaston Diedhiou goes there. Mystery solved.

____

Darren Wolfson ‏@DarrenWolfson 5m
Told TBD on new commit 6'9" Gaston Diedhiou (Gas-tone Dee-eye-doo) red-shirting. Maybe. #Gophers love his athleticism/rebounding skills

No $hit Doogie... you don't decide to RS a kid before you see what they can do in summer and fall practice. Sheeze.

Said on the gophers 247 page that Kimani Young recruited him, but I assume the entire staff is involved in some way with all our recruits, I wouldn't think a kid would come on board if the entire staff hadn't seen him

One more big and a shooter and I will be satisfied with this class

Said on the gophers 247 page that Kimani Young recruited him, but I assume the entire staff is involved in some way with all our recruits, I wouldn't think a kid would come on board if the entire staff hadn't seen him

It appears McHale would have been the guy that FOUND him & had the connection with Canarias Academy!

Because we have a huge hole at PF to fill next season. In 2 seasons it should be just fine with Martin and Buggs but they won't be quite there yet for next season. Let this guy play PF for next year and then in two years move him to center while Martin will be solid at the 4 as a sophomore and it won't be as pressing as an issue as it is this upcoming season.

Wow exciting and unexpected. Pitino probably has a few more surprises up his sleave.

Maybe it's because you are not coaching a B1G team, maybe it's because you don't live in Spain. I don't know, you tell us why you should know the name of every recruit that is any good.

LOL. I must have missed the part where the other 11 or 13 B1G coaches were hot on this guys trail.

He looks a little rough around the edges but his upside looks big too, I'm on board. Welcome Gaston!

LOL. I must have missed the part where the other 11 or 13 B1G coaches were hot on this guys trail.

Nebraska PG is an Aussie, I don't think anyone had heard of him or Pettaway for that matter until this year. As for Louisville Russ Smith two star Dieng was a two star, I agree it's a gamble, but lets see how it plays out, at a school like Minnesota you gotta win with three stars and some guys who you gamble on that stay for four years before you can go out and get the blue chippers

So many experts. So little expertise. Again verified here.

Yup Dr.Don... They all had there recruiting boards out and he was on non of these guys boards. They were all overseas this winter checking out talent. lol This cracks me up! Everyone looks like a fool..

Nebraska PG is an Aussie, I don't think anyone had heard of him or Pettaway for that matter until this year. As for Louisville Russ Smith two star Dieng was a two star, I agree it's a gamble, but lets see how it plays out, at a school like Minnesota you gotta win with three stars and some guys who you gamble on that stay for four years before you can go out and get the blue chippers

Don't get me wrong. I hope he becomes a phenom but today, I am not excited.

You've never watched him before live, TV, or in film. Give him a chance, because you have no idea what he can or can not do yet. International guys are pretty hit or miss, so for the time being, give him a chance! I know I'm excited for him to get here just because he's such an unknown.

Sounds about right. Looks like a project, smells like a project, hope he's not a project but a budding all-conference player...

We're going to see if he's a player. The ONLY thing we can do is wait and see and trust the coach right now. We'll see how it all turns out.

Do any of you expertsreally think Coach P would waste a scholarship on someonethat he doesn't think would make the grade? I repeat...so many experts, so little expertise!!!

Top Bottom