Gaston Diedhiou commits to Gophers

This is very much in topic to Gaston joining the gophers next year-

I wasn't saying we should push Buggs out the door, this may make it more likely for him to leave. An athletic big man, that can run the floor with some mass is exactly what Pitino wanted to turn Buggs into.

i don't think this impacts buggs one way or another. we are going to recruit that position (3/4) regardless and if buggs wants to stay and develop he will, and if he wants a new path he'll leave as well. he'll likely have to make up his mind before gaston arrives anyway, so he wouldn't even know where they stack up against each other.

Know nothing about this guy but I have no reason not to trust Pitino and staffs judgment after the guys they brought in last spring. Will be interesting to see if he is gonna redshirt next season or will be ready to step in and play right away. Looking at his size maybe he can play both the C and PF spot. Interested to see if this does anything to our interest in Konate?

Know nothing about this guy but I have no reason not to trust Pitino and staffs judgment after the guys they brought in last spring. Will be interesting to see if he is gonna redshirt next season or will be ready to step in and play right away. Looking at his size maybe he can play both the C and PF spot. Interested to see if this does anything to our interest in Konate?

He's 6'9" I wouldn't think they would plan on him playing C next year unless something happens to Mo/EE. I also wouldn't think it effects Konate that much. He is a pure C, no?

He's 6'9" I wouldn't think they would plan on him playing C next year unless something happens to Mo/EE. I also wouldn't think it effects Konate that much. He is a pure C, no?

Plenty of 6'9" centers in the NCAA that are more than serviceable, hell we had one last year. Especially when you got Stretch Armstrong arms...

McNeil had 4 video's, was fairly heavily recruited, we had comments from his coach, etc. No comparison between the two.
It's commical to read Howiewowie claim that McNeil was fairly heavily recruited with offers from the likes of Dayton, FIU, OU and Loyola and then says Carlos Morris was lightly recruited with offers from Seton Hall, Cinci and Arkansas. They have almost identical sized offer lists and you change the adverbs to fit your point.

This dude is lightly recruited. Offer list, Minnesota.

With a 2.20 m wingspan (~ 7'3"), I can easily see him playing the majority of minutes at the 5 spot. He seems to have the ideal physical and athletic attributes for a C in the Pitino system.

With a 2.20 m wingspan (~ 7'3"), I can easily see him playing the majority of minutes at the 5 spot. He seems to have the ideal physical and athletic attributes for a C in the Pitino system.

Agree, I see him at the C spot as well. Use next year to get his feet wet behind EE/Mo and by 2015 he could be our starter there. I think Pitino prefers PF's who can knock down outside shots. I'm not saying Gaston can't, I just don't see him taking any outside shots in the limited highlights he has and he looks pretty raw offensively.

He certainly seems to have the frame to be a big in the B1G. Quickness looks pretty decent, too. I'm surprised but intrigued. He could develop well, I think, at least well enough to end up as an Ingramesque quality backup.

1st Team All Big 10, 20 Year old Man Child, Badger Eating, Hawkeye Sh1tting, Buckeye peeling, Wolverine kicking, Nittney Lion(?) taming, Boilermaker breaking Spartan killer. Eats corn WITH the husks on, with raw turtle soup, hates the color red as he's part minotar so the Scarlet Knights are scared sh1tless over there in NY. Who am I missing? Hoosiers.... We might have a problem with them....

Anyway.

Love'm.

Is there any question he'll start in front of Joey Buckets? Likely teach Charles Buggs how to play ball a little bit, give 'Dre his explosiveness back by teaching him how to jump on one foot without your hips. Probably going to touch Oto's knee and cure him for life... Carlos Morris is probably going to drain 3's at a 50% rate because he'll use Gaston's head as an aiming bead. Can you imagine lil Dre's alley Oops to this guy? I mean come on, it's not even going to be fair. I heard that Josh Martin already changed his Twitter name to Gastonmybackandlemmedunk ;)xoxo.

Gonna be a good year, things are looking up!

POLLYANNA!!!!!!

What are you talking about?

I thought somebody said he weighs 240 lbs and I am doubting that. I got a pretty bad migraine today so I could be just imagining thugs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trevor was a Gopher until he was 23, right? Richard Coffey was also 20/21 when he became a Gopher. I see it as a potential physical advantage for Gaston.

Watching the videos, you are impressed by his incredible wing span and good positioning on the defensive boards. I was also impressed with the natural growth of his frame. Furthermore, while a bit rough around the edges, I see definite potential for a nice low post game on the offensive end with his long wing span.

Wait till our strength and athletic coaches get to work with him.

I say, nice diamond in the rough and I trust RP and staff's judgments. Bring on the B1G Gaston, WELCOME young man!

We deleted a few posts that had nothing to do with this commitment and appeared to be baiting others into an argument. Please keep this thread on topic, and we will do our best to delete posts that veer off-topic. Thank you.

Thank you!

Trevor was a Gopher until he was 23, right? Richard Coffey was also 20/21 when he became a Gopher. I see it as a potential physical advantage for Gaston.

Watching the videos, you are impressed by his incredible wing span and good positioning on the defensive boards. I was also impressed with the natural growth of his frame. Furthermore, while a bit rough around the edges, I see definite potential for a nice low post game on the offensive end with his long wing span.

Wait till our strength and athletic coaches get to work with him.

I say, nice diamond in the rough and I trust RP and staff's judgments. Bring on the B1G Gaston, WELCOME young man!

+1

Senagal produces a lot of good big men. Not only this guy and Gorgui Dieng but also 7-5 Mamadou Ndaye who was the talest HS player in the country last year and is as freshman at UC Irvine. Also another 7-5 guy from Senegal that also has the exact same name Mamadou Ndaye played in the NBA for I believe the Warriors. Think about it, they are both from Senegal, their names are both Mamadou Ndaye and they are both 7-5, what are the odds of that? Crazy.

Senagal produces a lot of good big men. Not only this guy and Gorgui Dieng but also 7-5 Mamadou Ndaye who was the talest HS player in the country last year and is as freshman at UC Irvine. Also another 7-5 guy from Senegal that also has the exact same name Mamadou Ndaye played in the NBA for I believe the Warriors. Think about it, they are both from Senegal, their names are both Mamadou Ndaye and they are both 7-5, what are the odds of that? Crazy.

Similar odds as two kids named Hollins from Tennessee playing for MN and not related?

Agree, I see him at the C spot as well. Use next year to get his feet wet behind EE/Mo and by 2015 he could be our starter there. I think Pitino prefers PF's who can knock down outside shots. I'm not saying Gaston can't, I just don't see him taking any outside shots in the limited highlights he has and he looks pretty raw offensively.

I hope he plays PF and not center for at least this year. Whats the point of bringing him in if he isn't going to play PF. Redshirting him next year would also defeat the purpose of bringing him in.

Judging from posts that say he's a project at twenty, too small at 6-9 to play center, and is malnourished at 240 pounds you guys really are glass is half empty types. Pitinos spring recruits his first year were decent. No reason not to think with more time on the job this springs will be even better. In the sense that he is off the radar kid from overseas, to me that would be the place you could really find a diamond in the rough. We need more athletic big men. I think he plays early. fouls a lot, protects the rim and gives us rebouding and energy. Pollyanna?

Judging from posts that say he's a project at twenty, too small at 6-9 to play center, and is malnourished at 240 pounds you guys really are glass is half empty types. Pitinos spring recruits his first year were decent. No reason not to think with more time on the job this springs will be even better. In the sense that he is off the radar kid from overseas, to me that would be the place you could really find a diamond in the rough. We need more athletic big men. I think he plays early. fouls a lot, protects the rim and gives us rebouding and energy. Pollyanna?

+1

At least the 3rd player from Canarias Basketball Academy to commit for next year. Louisville has Stockman coming in, Pitt has Doorson. Stockman is 7'2", Doorson 6'11". Heck, bigger than most major colleges. Stockman is from Norway, Doorson from The Netherlands. Findlay has nothing on this school.

I hope he plays PF and not center for at least this year. Whats the point of bringing him in if he isn't going to play PF. Redshirting him next year would also defeat the purpose of bringing him in.

Huh? How so? Our only two centers next year (prior to this commitment) are both seniors. It would be really nice to have someone developing behind them next season so we have a center ready to play major minutes the year after. Counting on bringing in two true freshman centers who are both Big Ten ready in 2015 is extremely risky. Bringing this guy in as a center now and redshirting him makes perfect sense.

Very hard to judge the level of competition, but the more recent video is much more impressive than the initial video. I could see him playing some at the 4 next year and then play the 5 in 2015-2016. The kid can run the floor, handle the ball a little bit, and looks like a rim protector. I wonder if this commitment has any bearing on Konate?

I thought somebody said he weighs 240 lbs and I am doubting that. I got a pretty bad migraine today so I could be just imagining thugs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are you doubting that he weighs 240? Maybe my eyes aren't good enough, but he looks pretty big/strong to me.

Top Bottom