Games like these make me more excited for Kaliakmanis

TheNorthernAmir

Reaction score
Go back and watch all of the broken pocket played today that turned into incomplete passes or less than desirable QB scrambles.

Also, and most importantly, the ability to sit in the pocket and sling it downfield when things break down.

I like Tanner and the stability he has brought to the U, but he was clearly a weak point today.

Is there something about the next guy that indicates more consistency or something?

I hope so but I don’t see any reason to think so.

Don’t get me wrong, I like what I have seen, it just hasn’t been much.

I really hope the Greek Gopher (and his brother) reigns terror over the B1G.

Last edited:

Chickens before hatched. Y'all used to say the same thing about Zack. Morgan played well enough to win today. Can't say the same about the recievers, offensive line, or running backs.
100%.

Go back and watch all of the broken pocket played today that turned into incomplete passes or less than desirable QB scrambles.

Also, and most importantly, the ability to sit in the pocket and sling it downfield when things break down.

I like Tanner and the stability he has brought to the U, but he was clearly a weak point today.
One of the reasons I wasn't a fan of Tanner coming back this season. I'm envious of these teams that have a QB that can create when reads break down.

One of the reasons I wasn't a fan of Tanner coming back this season. I'm envious of these teams that have a QB that can create when reads break down.
Morgan is not the reason we lost today, but having said that, I too am looking forward to the day we have a more athletic quarterback who can create things on the field on his own.

Is that Athan? I don’t know yet, but I hope so.

Chickens before hatched. Y'all used to say the same thing about Zack. Morgan played well enough to win today. Can't say the same about the recievers, offensive line, or running backs.

I don't know how much blame goes to Tanner, how much goes to the receivers, and how much goes to the offensive line and running backs. Today was the 9th start of Tanner's career where he threw 30 or more passes. The Gophers are 2-7 in those games. In games where he threw less than 30 passes, the Gophers are 29-6.

If Tanner is throwing 30 or more times a game, that's usually because of a combination of the running game not working and team falling behind and needing to catch up. For whatever reason, Tanner and the receivers don't respond well when the offensive load is all on their shoulders. Purdue's passing game was not great today (their rushing game was much better than usual) but O'Connell has no problem slinging 40 or more passes in a game.

Last edited:

Yes, let’s hurry back to those days of the run first qb. Oh boy!
I didn’t see anyone say run first QB. I certainly did not, and I don’t want a run first QB. Having a more athletic QB doesn’t mean he has to be run first.

And I’ve not given up on Morgan. Again, he isn’t why we lost today.

Consistency, no. Arm strength, clearly.
I remember people talking about how when you caught a ball from Alipate, it would rip the skin right off your hands.

His arm strength is clearly the reason he's known as a Gopher great with the likes of Weber and Abdul-Khaliq.

Morgan is not the reason we lost today, but having said that, I too am looking forward to the day we have a more athletic quarterback who can create things on the field on his own.

Is that Athan? I don’t know yet, but I hope so.
Maybe not the reason we lost, but he doesn’t give us much chance to come from behind he shrinks when under pressure and lacks the ability to make big time- game changing plays.

I don't know how much blame goes to Tanner, how much goes to the receivers, and how much goes to the offensive line and running backs. Today was the 9th start of Tanner's career where he threw 30 or more passes. The Gophers are 2-7 in those games. In games where he threw less than 30 passes, the Gophers are 29-7.

If Tanner is throwing 30 or more times a game, that's usually because of a combination of the running game not working and team falling behind and needing to catch up. For whatever reason, Tanner and the receivers don't respond well when the offensive load is all on their shoulders. Purdue's passing game was not great today (their rushing game was much better than usual) but O'Connell has no problem slinging 40 or more passes in a game.
While most QBs will not be this extreme, what you're describing with QBs throwing more in losses is just game script and it's the reason so many people make money betting on players like Fitzmagic, Winston, and Bortles. (Or Joe Flacco this year).

That's a normal phenomenon and I bet most QBs will have similar stats (eg they throw more in losses).

Receivers were not getting open today. While I don't ever believe a loss can be one person's fault. If anyone not named MBS had been given that route, the Gophers likely win today and Morgan doesn't end up heaving a third interception out of desperation.

Maybe not the reason we lost, but he doesn’t give us much chance to come from behind he shrinks when under pressure and lacks the ability to make big time- game changing plays.
... the entire reason he won the job was that he was far better under pressure than anyone expected (go back and watch Indiana 2018)

Y'all are insane. Morgan is the best QB the Gophers have had in my lifetime. Enjoy this while it lasts because history has not been kind to the Gophers at QB and they may not find another QB like him for decades.

On the Tanner side of things, there was very little max-protect today as it looked to me.

On the not-Tanner side of things, he wasn't given a lot to work with either.

Unfortunately for Trey, Purdue was perfectly schemed to stop his style of run. Methinks though we might end up missing Bucky before all is said and done...

... the entire reason he won the job was that he was far better under pressure than anyone expected (go back and watch Indiana 2018)

Y'all are insane. Morgan is the best QB the Gophers have had in my lifetime. Enjoy this while it lasts because history has not been kind to the Gophers at QB and they may not find another QB like him for decades.
LOL.

On the Tanner side of things, there was very little max-protect today as it looked to me.

On the not-Tanner side of things, he wasn't given a lot to work with either.

Unfortunately for Trey, Purdue was perfectly schemed to stop his style of run. Methinks though we might end up missing Bucky before all is said and done...
Bucky would have carried the ball 25 times today.

It's hard for me to believe that we would not be 4-1 with Athan as our starting qb.

Is this wrong?

I remember people talking about how when you caught a ball from Alipate, it would rip the skin right off your hands.

His arm strength is clearly the reason he's known as a Gopher great with the likes of Weber and Abdul-Khaliq.
Gotta like that Athan has had two years to grow in the system learning from the great Tanner Morgan.

Think you are missing the point of the op. Maybe Tanner did play well enough to win, but how often are we saying Tanner carried the team to a win over the years.....rarely.

Gotta like that Athan has had two years to grow in the system learning from the great Tanner Morgan.
I hear buzz that Athan can tear up the first team defense at times. I like this and am excited for a new look next year.

I hear buzz that Athan can tear up the first team defense at times. I like this and am excited for a new look next year.
That's all I'm saying. Tanner is the perfect guy to set precedent in PJ's culture. Wanna see how they can develop a guy with a strong arm.

Come on, Gopherhole posters know way more on a good QB than Coney Durr 😏

Think you are missing the point of the op. Maybe Tanner did play well enough to win, but how often are we saying Tanner carried the team to a win over the years.....rarely.
Totally agree. Morgan is a very good QB when the running game is going, and an average at best QB when forced to pass and playing from behind. He is not gifted with a great arm or mobility. I don’t think he’s a bad QB at all, but he’s not a great passing QB.

Top Bottom