Gameday set location

Northrup - Safe Choice
Plaza by TCF - Fan's Choice
Superblock - People's Choice
River next to Coffman by Wash Ave Bridge, Weisman, Skyline - Scenic Choice

What a Minnesota answer. How about, RIGHT WHERE THE GAME IS. And RIGHT WHERE THE FANS ARE. Sorry for shouting, I've been drinking trying to get through these last few nights before our game.

LOL, wasn’t about the disruption as much as it’s an iconic spot. Coffman in the background (looking like a Gopher head), a beautiful mall for the fans to crowd into. I just don’t think crowding by the stadium on the roads etc. is as aesthetically pleasing.

LOL, wasn’t about the disruption as much as it’s an iconic spot. Coffman in the background (looking like a Gopher head), a beautiful mall for the fans to crowd into. I just don’t think crowding by the stadium on the roads etc. is as aesthetically pleasing.

This would be my preference, but I would have Northrop in the background. Much more stately/collegiate looking than Coffman.

This would be my preference, but I would have Northrop in the background. Much more stately/collegiate looking than Coffman.

They could also put the set in the middle of the mall and have fans on both sides. They did something on Beale Street in Memphis a few weeks back.

I think they'd want to avoid putting the set near Coffman with the light rail shooting by every ten minutes.

Superblock would absolutely not work. With the Pioneer Hall renovation they completely revamped the green space between the buildings and there would be no logical place to set up. That also screws a lot of the non-freshmen who live in Dinky/Como by putting it an extra 10 minute walk away. And besides Pioneer, the buildings are far from aesthetically pleasing.

I like the idea of it being near the stadium, but logistically I'm just not sure how exactly they would do it. I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't Northrop.

Superblock would absolutely not work. With the Pioneer Hall renovation they completely revamped the green space between the buildings and there would be no logical place to set up. That also screws a lot of the non-freshmen who live in Dinky/Como by putting it an extra 10 minute walk away. And besides Pioneer, the buildings are far from aesthetically pleasing.

I like the idea of it being near the stadium, but logistically I'm just not sure how exactly they would do it. I'd be pretty surprised if it wasn't Northrop.

TBH when I was back for Penn State I wasn't sure if the U still had dorms, or if it had all gone private apartments.

Outside the stadium or bust. Who cares about traffic. if you’re anyone that knows anything about current events, such as the biggest Gopher v. Badger game in decades, then you shouldn’t end up trying to drive where GameDay is set up. If you do, then you deserve having to try and find a detour like the dipsh1t you are.

What a Minnesota answer. How about, RIGHT WHERE THE GAME IS. And RIGHT WHERE THE FANS ARE. Sorry for shouting, I've been drinking trying to get through these last few nights before our game.

I agree! Why have the Game Day set a half mile from the stadium? What's wrong with the Plaza just outside the open end of the stadium along Oak Street? Maybe close down part of Oak Street, or use the lawn next to BWW's parking lot.

Stage setup begins on Wednesday. They cannot shut down University, Oak St, or 4th Street Wed-Sat. There are hockey and basketball games Thu/Fri meaning traffic cannot be shut down. So, forget about the option of shutting down streets.

Oak Street in front of Mariucci is already shut down for other stuff each game day, there are tents and stages and DJs etc already there. So, that's out. Tailgate lots already being used.

The TV setup is enormous, the amount of space needed for setup/equipment/stage/trucks/etc, plus the amount of space needed for people attending is immense. Not many spots with a big enough area are available close to the stadium. Space by Williams/BWW not nearly big enough. I heard Bierman parking area was discussed, as were Siebert Field/softball area, and the new track and field infield/bleachers, and area near McNamara.

Northrup is likely going to be the place. It'll look good on TV, but it is a distance from the stadium.

How about on the bridge connecting east and west bank? We haven't had a bridge collapse in a while!

For comparisons sake- Washington and BC are a couple other city schools that placed the set in their respective "Mall" areas. Both had great looking backdrops and solid crowds, something we can easily accomplish at Northrop. That said, having the stadium and block 'M' from the scoreboard in the background and nearby tailgating crowd would be a ton of fun. It's going to look great either way

Stage setup begins on Wednesday. They cannot shut down University, Oak St, or 4th Street Wed-Sat. There are hockey and basketball games Thu/Fri meaning traffic cannot be shut down. So, forget about the option of shutting down streets.

Oak Street in front of Mariucci is already shut down for other stuff each game day, there are tents and stages and DJs etc already there. So, that's out. Tailgate lots already being used.

The TV setup is enormous, the amount of space needed for setup/equipment/stage/trucks/etc, plus the amount of space needed for people attending is immense. Not many spots with a big enough area are available close to the stadium. Space by Williams/BWW not nearly big enough. I heard Bierman parking area was discussed, as were Siebert Field/softball area, and the new track and field infield/bleachers, and area near McNamara.

Northrup is likely going to be the place. It'll look good on TV, but it is a distance from the stadium.

Wonder if they are regretting their decision with all weather coming over the next bunch of days, have fun setting up tomorrow. lol

TBH when I was back for Penn State I wasn't sure if the U still had dorms, or if it had all gone private apartments.
They actually added a dorm! But all the dorms are full up, and students want to live a lot closer to campus than they used to, so private apartments popped up to fill the gap.

I agree! Why have the Game Day set a half mile from the stadium? What's wrong with the Plaza just outside the open end of the stadium along Oak Street? Maybe close down part of Oak Street, or use the lawn next to BWW's parking lot.

When GameDay goes to Madison, they set up on Bascom Hill. The last time they went to Iowa, they were over by the Old Iowa Capitol. Neither place is close to the stadium.

The mall is the only choice in my opinion. The show ends at 11, game starts at 2:30, who cares how close the show is to the stadium? The mall and campus will look great with the snow falling.

I don't think many understand how big this set is and the area it takes. Many places it cannot fit near stadium. The interesting part is that will be gone by the time the game is over. The Mall is the obvious place that makes the most sense but because it has not been announced yet, it leads me to believe they are considering areas by stadium that would need more approvals by different agencies with administration, city, and safety. Even the Mall would take planning working around trees, etc and getting all the equipment and trucks in. Roads would have to be closed to have a big enough area by the stadium. Especially when I assume there will be huge attendance. The other issue now will be where will they move all the projected snow to create space

Last edited:

Coffman in the background (looking like a Gopher head)

This isn't really directed at you, because I've heard the same from a lot of people - but it takes a really fantastic imagination to somehow think Coffman looks like a Gopher head.

I don't see how there could be a single problem by shutting down just the "corner" section of Oak St. No left/right turns from University onto Oak NB, but you can go straight on University and you can turn right from University onto Oak SB. And you can turn right from Oak onto 4th. But that corner section, close it off. Have it there.

Zero problem there. Too bad BWW parking lot, suck it!!

That's the least risky, for insurance purposes, disrupts the least traffic, steps on the least toes, etc. etc.

Nonetheless, at the stadium would've been better.

Was hoping it would be outside Williams arena/Marriucci so we could easily go back and fourth between GamdeDay and out tailgate if we didn't want to stay in one spot all 3 hours.

Oh well.

It was the only choice. Superblock? Come on

Top Bottom