GAME #6: Gophers (5-0) v. Syracuse (4-0) [ESPN2, 4:30PM]

MadtownGopher

Reaction score
Can't wait for this one. Last game without Mo. I'm not really expecting a win, just hoping we keep it close. Anyone know if King is going to be able to play?

Wow, Wynn LV on Vegas Insider has Syracuse as only a 1 point favorite. My expectations for this game have gone up since before the season started.

Can't wait for this one. Last game without Mo. I'm not really expecting a win, just hoping we keep it close. Anyone know if King is going to be able to play?

Heard Joey practiced today. Not sure if he'll play but that's a good sign.

We believe....

Remember when no one thought we would beat UNC? How about MSU in the big ten tourney? Louisville? This is cake.

EE gets double double.

Dre goes off for 28

Otto with 14

Gophers 72 - Cuse 68

AP: Unbeaten Gophers face No. 9 Syracuse at Maui Invitational

The Golden Gophers haven't lost under the younger Pitino as they seek their third 6-0 start in four seasons. They haven't been tested much with an average victory margin of 18.4 points, and know that a win over the Orange would mark a major breakthrough.

"It would be huge," guard Austin Hollins said. "They are a top-ranked team. We have to play like any other game and play as hard as we can. We respect them as an opponent."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...No-9-Syracuse-at-M?blockID=965715&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

Wow, Wynn LV on Vegas Insider has Syracuse as only a 1 point favorite. My expectations for this game have gone up since before the season started.

At first glance I was initially shocked at the opening line, however after some thinking I see the logic behind it. As we all know, guard play is what reigns supreme in college basketball and we have very good and experienced ones at that. Syracuse's Tyler Ennis, although a good freshman, will have his hands full against the defensive pressure we'll bring. Although, Syracuse will have a big advantage upfront they haven't shown the ability to be dominant on the boards up to this point against inferior competition. Coupled with the fact that in years past, games in Maui tend to be very unpredictable this should be a very competitive game and I think the Gophers have a legit chance to win if they can limit turnovers and knock down some threes to loosen up that matchup zone a bit. I am more shocked that Boeheim is actually leaving the state of NY to play a game.

Gophers only -2.5-point dog vs. Syracuse

According to odds just posted by scoresandodds.com.

According to odds just posted by scoresandodds.com.

I think it opened at -1 actually. Should be a fun one! I can't think of a worse time to have the game on TV though, that will be tough for me to see.

It's early and pretty meaningless but Sagarin predicts the Gophers as a 3.6 point favorite.

Being as objective as I can, this line seems crazy. Not only does Syracuse have one of the best players in the country on their team, they are huge. I realize their guard play is a bit iffy, but it's not like their guards are outright bad. I certainly hope I'm wrong and that the Gophers just pound Boeheim into retirement.

I think our win on the road against Richmond combined with Syracuse's scare against St. Francis has closed the gap as far as the spread and sagarin prediction for this game. I kind of wish Syracuse didn't have that letdown their last game, Boeheim will probably have them come out and play much better.

It may come down to whether or not Dre Hollins gets going. He has had the tendency to play very well in tournament settings before, so let's hope that is the case again.

I'm shocked by this. I just don't see how we compete with a team like Syracuse at this point in the season, with our injury and suspension situation. I mean, I guess we'll see, but I'm a bit pessimistic.

The line is a tad bit surprising to me, but it's not that big of a shock after thinking about it some. These early season, neutral site games can be a total crap shoot. Minnesota is a tough team to set lines for as we're a pretty unknown quantity while being very dangerous if the 3 ball is falling. Combine that with potentially shaky guard play for the Orange and you have the making for an upset, at least a small one from the book perspective.

I too am struggling to see how the Gophers can beat Syracuse, and the line movement from -1 to -2.5 says the public feels the same way. The good thing is that Vegas is smarter than the public, and whenever a line seems off like this it rarely turns out that way. Very good sign for the Gophers.

I am nervous about this game as this will be the first test for this gopher squad to demonstrate how they handle high pressure situations. I feel like this will set the tone of this team. I like to think of Tubby's attempt last season to finish off Michigan at home last year. Can this team pull off high pressure shots? Can we formulate some plays during game time to disrupt Cuse?

I will say this the exciting thing about our gopher squad — with Tubby — is that they have surprised us and the nation. We have also layed eggs. It seems like we have never had the leadership present in these high pressure situations. And we have lacked the experience many times.

This game has the potential to show us the qualities of how Pitino manages the team during the game in comparison to how we have seen Tubby do it in the past. I really do hope it's a positive outcome.

It's probably because like you all I am vested in the interest of seeing our kids have some success this season.

I am nervous about this game as this will be the first test for this gopher squad to demonstrate how they handle high pressure situations. I feel like this will set the tone of this team. I like to think of Tubby's attempt last season to finish off Michigan at home last year. Can this team pull off high pressure shots? Can we formulate some plays during game time to disrupt Cuse?

I will say this the exciting thing about our gopher squad — with Tubby — is that they have surprised us and the nation. We have also layed eggs. It seems like we have never had the leadership present in these high pressure situations. And we have lacked the experience many times.

This game has the potential to show us the qualities of how Pitino manages the team during the game in comparison to how we have seen Tubby do it in the past. I really do hope it's a positive outcome.

It's probably because like you all I am vested in the interest of seeing our kids have some success this season.

I agree with a lot of this, but I'd also point out that our performance down the stretch at Richmond gave us a taste of how this team will respond in high pressure situations. Late in the 2nd half at Richmond we were down 4 or 5 points and proceeded to shut them out the final 7+ minutes to win easily. That really impressed me. I hope we get that kind of effort and focus tonight.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Can Marquette start scoring tonight against Arizona State? And Minnesota-Syracuse's clash of styles. Viewer's Guide: <a href="http://t.co/p2zAUXJny1">http://t.co/p2zAUXJny1</a></p>— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) <a href="https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/statuses/405027382865571840">November 25, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Second-best game: Minnesota vs. No. 9 Syracuse (5:30 p.m., ESPN2). Quite the contrast of styles. Minnesota has moved to a full-court press under new head coach Richard Pitino – and, of course, Syracuse runs its 2-3 zone. The biggest key for the Orange is going to be the backcourt of Tyler Ennis and Trevor Cooney handling the Minnesota pressure. If the Golden Gophers are to get the upset, though, they will need to make shots from the perimeter – which they have done at a 34 percent clip this season. If Minnesota keeps Syracuse from getting turnovers and quick run-outs in transition, they could keep it close.

I hope we get that kind of effort and focus tonight.

I have noticed that Pitino has had a pattern this season stating that the biggest challenge him and his staff has is to get our guys pumped and focused for the more "cupcake" games. I am wondering how much the popular opinion in the locker room amongst players determines the players overall performance during games. They HAVE to be pumped for today's opportunity.

I just hope the boys weren't out late raiding Hawaii last night. :D

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Can Marquette start scoring tonight against Arizona State? And Minnesota-Syracuse's clash of styles. Viewer's Guide: <a href="http://t.co/p2zAUXJny1">http://t.co/p2zAUXJny1</a></p>— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) <a href="https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/statuses/405027382865571840">November 25, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here's a pretty cool note from that article: "BONUS: Every team in the Maui Invitational is still undefeated. The eight teams are a combined 30-0."

i actually wouldn't be surprised at all if we won, if we had Mo and Joey i might actually expect a win, Syracuse just ins't playing that great right now and not a top ten team, at the end of the season Cuse might be 10 point favorites but right now they aren't quite elite yet

As one of the earlier post mention basketball often comes down to guard play, I think Andre will be fine but we need Austin or DeAndre to come thru as well if we are going to win this game. Also we need EE and Oto to stay out of foul trouble.

As one of the earlier post mention basketball often comes down to guard play, I think Andre will be fine but we need Austin or DeAndre to come thru as well if we are going to win this game. Also we need EE and Oto to stay out of foul trouble.

Agreed. If EE and/or Oto get in foul trouble, that will be tough to overcome.

Top Bottom