Game 5: Gophers visit Virginia (11-26-22)

Too bad it’s on ACCNX. This is the first high stakes game for the season, behind a subscription service to watch it. If the gophers don’t have radio, I guess i’ll just have to follow stats.
Always my favorite: A note to watch the game on espn.com, then you go to the website, click the link and it asks for your cable service. Damm, the reason I want to watch it on espn.com is because I don't have a TV cable service. I have an on-line cable service for my internet connection, but apparently that's not enough. Rats.
I don't do apps, because I'm definitely not interested in watching it on my little, bitty phone screen. At some point, I'll probably subscribe to Sling when it looks like the majority of the Gophers games are going to be on the Big Ten Network, but I hate paying 30-40 bucks a month to watch 2-3 games a week.

The University of Minnesota should have a reciprocal agreement that the visiting school can get access to the game via the Internet (Big+, ACCN, Pac-12+, etc.) or the conference network (BIG, ACC etc.). The Gophers should have a policy that if you cannot provide us with access to the game(s), we will not play you. Of course, we should reciprocate and give the visiting school access via Big+ or BIG.

I got the gophers radio stream. Sounds like a fast start, 13-6 lead!

Gradwell is 1-2 on 3-pointers and 2-3 on field goals, so far. That's an improvement over her below trend percentages so far this season.

Shooting 2-8 or 3-8 on 3's instead of 1-8 could mean a win.

Minnesota is out-rebounding Virginia at this point.

Still early. Minnesota is up in the lead.

Virginia is a 2nd-half team so expect a later surge.

I am loving what Maggie is providing this season. A quick 4 points for her and a 21-13 gopher lead after 1!

As they say, "They're letting them play". Alexia Smith with a triple from the corner. Gophers with good work in the paint

The University of Minnesota should have a reciprocal agreement that the visiting school can get access to the game via the Internet (Big+, ACCN, Pac-12+, etc.) or the conference network (BIG, ACC etc.). The Gophers should have a policy that if you cannot provide us with access to the game(s), we will not play you. Of course, we should reciprocate and give the visiting school access via Big+ or BIG.
I finally got the game by clicking on the video link of the Gophers.com and the women's basketball schedule. I went around and around and had to click on DirecTV as my provider (but I didn't have to sign in). I am not sure what made it work.

Great first period. Go Gophers.

Last edited:

Always my favorite: A note to watch the game on espn.com, then you go to the website, click the link and it asks for your cable service. Damm, the reason I want to watch it on espn.com is because I don't have a TV cable service. I have an on-line cable service for my internet connection, but apparently that's not enough. Rats.
I don't do apps, because I'm definitely not interested in watching it on my little, bitty phone screen. At some point, I'll probably subscribe to Sling when it looks like the majority of the Gophers games are going to be on the Big Ten Network, but I hate paying 30-40 bucks a month to watch 2-3 games a week.
I do have Xfinity but apparently not a high enough grade package. Damn it.

Can the gophers score in the 2nd quarter?

Major swoon in the 2nd.

18 to 0 scoring run for Virginia.

Last season Gophers were leading top teams and then had bad stretches that lost the game. I know bad stretches are part of most games... and yet somehow limiting that would help a lot.

Katie B needs to play alot better, simple as that. her decision making as been awful all year.

Gophers got way out of sorts in second period. They shot themselves in both feet with turnovers. There is an old adage in several sports: "Don't be in a hurry to lose." Slow, down, take your time and regroup, and maybe the other team will lose their rhythm.

Borowicz and Battle have a combined 11 turnovers. Virginia as a team has 9....

Czinano leaves game with a bloody nose or lip. Borowicz leaves game with four fouls after tackling Smith on the break

At the start of the 4th quarter some interesting stats:

Turnovers:

Borowicz: 6

Battle: 5

Cayton: 3

1669494435152.png

I believe some of the offensive fouls have been borderline to bull crap but if they’ve calling them you need to adjust. Virginia starting to rack up rebounds

Gopher ball with 19 seconds left, down 1. Too close for comfort o_O

Fitting that this game ends on a turnover :/ Oh well. They had their chances even with 22 turnovers. This is a upperclassmen led Virginia team, 3 seniors and 2 juniors with us playing 3 freshman and 2 sophomores. This would have been a big win but a step in the right direction I believe. On to the next game.

What I feel is unfortunate, when it happens, is when a team is leading or very close but not able to close out a win many times in a season. The production is probably 49%-51% for team but instead show 0-6 for those efforts.

Have to get that win-loss ratio closer to half-and-half over the coarse of the season or better.

(As of now, won Lehigh and lost Virginia).

Let's check back on this dynamic later in the season.

"Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing." -Vince Lombardi

Last edited:

-Virginia is a strong 2nd half team and Gophers outscored VA in the 2nd half. Good job.

-Pulled within a shot. Good job.

-Lots of other good achievements. Team looks more and more synced compared to the first couple games. Will take time.

-Lots of good stuff to build upon.

thinking it might be time to start Amaya.. I know she had 5 TO's today.. but her first game against a P5 team.. but also had 10 rebounds and 6 assists.. While Katie had 1 assists and 7 TO's..

I think Katie spark would be better used off the bench..

Top Bottom