GAME #19: Gophers (14-4, 3-2) @ #14/16 Iowa (14-3, 3-1) [BTN, 1/19, Noon]

Great flow in the first half. No flow in the 2nd half. Tough for players to "adapt" to the new rules when they are so inconsistent in their calls. Let them play for the most part in the 1st, then call a foul in the 2nd when you breath on a guy (just ask EE on his 3rd "foul").

Edit: And just to make it clear, I think the inconsistency goes both ways (both teams).

played a lot better than smith, and I'd argue the play where smith was called for travel in the backcourt trying to get Dre the ball was where the game ended for us, we were on somewhat of a run, which was ended there

Certainly a key point. Just can't afford to make mistakes like that if you want to pull an upset.

Honestly that run by Iowa at the end of the 1st half gave them all the momentum and ended pretty much any confidence we had...btw what a dumb 5 second call that was on Dre, possibly a 5pt swing, credit to Iowa though, very good team, But I don't think they are miles ahead of us like I thought coming in, and that is not a dig on Iowa, its a compliment to our team

played a lot better than smith, and I'd argue the play where smith was called for travel in the backcourt trying to get Dre the ball was where the game ended for us, we were on somewhat of a run, which was ended there

Yeah, that play was the last moment we had something going. A score there cuts it to 4 and keeps momentum. Not a good day for him, which is too bad considering how important he's been for us thus far.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Safe to say I hate Iowa and they have the ugliest basketball team</p>— Frank Ragnow (@KNARFWONGAR) <a href="https://twitter.com/KNARFWONGAR/statuses/424995525125890048">January 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Show them how much you hate them by commiting here and destroy them on the field, can't play Iowa in arkansas, but I guess you can stay away from their ugliness at arkansas, but better for you to commit to minnesota

Honestly that run by Iowa at the end of the 1st half gave them all the momentum and ended pretty much any confidence we had...btw what a dumb 5 second call that was on Dre, possibly a 5pt swing, credit to Iowa though, very good team, But I don't think they are miles ahead of us like I thought coming in, and that is not a dig on Iowa, its a compliment to our team

Right on...

Still gotta like the fight we gave today... Score was not indicative of the competition that went on.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Iowa has great refs how bout..</p>— Josh #SkiUMartin (@JoshMartin_206) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoshMartin_206/statuses/424996079407349760">January 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He's bad... And not bad as in good... Just. Really. Really. Bad.

He has been a ghost when it matters in B1G play.

Sigh. Here's my semi-weekly post to defend Hollins' overall game.

His shooting sucks right now. No doubt about it. It's not even a discussion.

Austin Hollins led the team with 8 rebounds, and had 2 AST, 1 block, and 1 TO. He also had 5 steals (the team had 7 total).

Malik Smith had 2 rebounds, 0 AST, 0 steals, 0 blocks, and 1 TO.

Austin still does a lot of the other things well.

Ouch, that one hurt.

Yeah- I think they beat us 61- 30 the last 21 minutes of the game. But you only get one loss- even if you lose by 20+. I like the chances of this team and this coach using the lesson of the second half to come back and have a great game against Wisconsin.

Rough game. Iowa is really good. Top 3 in the B1G at least. Beat Wisconsin!

Austin Hollins led the team with 8 rebounds, 2 AST, 1 block, and 1 TO. He also had 5 steals (the team had 7 total).

Agree, I wish Austin would do what Marble did today... Go to the rim, where he has been good when he gets there, to get things rolling. Don't shoot a three until you see a nice in rhythm look and let your slashing game lead the way.

Austin Hollins led the team with 8 rebounds, 2 AST, 1 block, and 1 TO. He also had 5 steals (the team had 7 total).

It just doesn't seem like he get's himself squared up on any shots during this streak. Seems to be shooting shots while moving to the left or right. It's odd to see a good shooter shoot so many shots that are totally off line. Somebody will pay. I hope it is Wisconsin.

He also had 13 points today, the haters can STFU, Austin was not the problem today. EE got in foul trouble, Iowa got ridiculously hot in the second half. Besides Smith was MIA today. We lost to a better team, he hung in until about 6 minutes when we were down six and got called for the travel

Austin Hollins led the team with 8 rebounds, and had 2 AST, 1 block, and 1 TO. He also had 5 steals (the team had 7 total).

+1

The inconsistency not only from game to game from B1G officials, but minute to minute during games should be alarming.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the officials have been very consistent. The will officiate the second half completely different than the first half. That happens almost every game

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I think Austin had a very solid game outside of his shooting. We don't want him taking 7 3pt shots a game and 15 total though.

Unfortunately with The foul trouble the rest of the team had, we were kind of forces that direction.

We should have been up 15 at half time with the way Iowa was playing, too bad that got out of hand at the end.

Iowa has a real nice team but IMO they got a ton of calls today that greatly benefited them. I think the Gophers would have had a chance for the upset and liked the way they played for the most part. A couple of key plays to me were the 5 second call on Andre right before half when we would have had the last shot which I thought was a bad call. Another key play to me was when we would have had a chance to cut the lead back down to 4 or 3 and Malik had a bad travelling call. Everyone knew this stretch would be tough and most people were hoping to come out of it with a win but with the way this team has played during the stretch I'm really hoping to get to 2-2 in the stretch and I believe we should have a decent chance with Wisconsin at The Barn.

Agree, I wish Austin would do what Marble did today... Go to the rim, where he has been good when he gets there, to get things rolling. Don't shoot a three until you see a nice in rhythm look and let your slashing game lead the way.

I thought Hollins did a great job of shooting mid range jumpers early in his career. He seems to have gotten away from that completely.

He's got long arms which enable him to shoot over guys his height fairly easily. Take the guy off the dribble and pull up at the free throw line.

He needs to limit his 3 point shooting (granted several of his 3's came at the end of today's game when he couldn't be too selective).

Iowa is very deep and a better team.
Gotta be patient. Give Pitino 4 years and we will be a better version of Iowa.
Iowa is an Elite 8 Final 4 team!

Iowa is just so much better. Talented and very deep. Wouldn't surprise me to see them in the Final Four

Iowa is very deep and a better team.
Gotta be patient. Give Pitino 4 years and we will be a better version of Iowa.
Iowa is an Elite 8 Final 4 team!

Amen. As ugly as their players are, they would represent the conference well as Big Ten champs and with a deep Tournament run.

Just not that upset about this loss. Hopefully we can get a win against Wisconsin.

I thought Hollins did a great job of shooting mid range jumpers early in his career. He seems to have gotten away from that completely.

He's got long arms which enable him to shoot over guys his height fairly easily. Take the guy off the dribble and pull up at the free throw line.

He needs to limit his 3 point shooting (granted several of his 3's came at the end of today's game when he couldn't be too selective).

Hollins was not the problem today. He was much better than Smith and others.

However, he should never be allowed to shoot a three unless the clock is winding down or he is squared up and completely wide open. He is a huge liability on offense.

My thoughts for what they're worth ($0)
1. Iowa is a very good team, better than us this year. The better team won.
2. Foul trouble obviously killed us.
3. Need to do a better job defending the 3.
4. Not a bad road loss at all. Very few expect a win against a top 3-4 B1G team on the road.
5. Still in good shape overall. 3-3 and 6th in conference with 4 of next 5 very winnable.

Top Bottom