GAME #18: Gophers (13-4, 2-2) v. #9/11 tOSU (15-2, 2-2) [ESPN2, 1/16, 8:00PM]

Great win, and I'm extremely happy, but people saying this is the best they felt in a long time? come on! IU win was much better and crazy, that was at the end of last season so wasn't that long ago. Best win I have ever personally witnessed as a gophers fan. Hell, we beat MSU last year, wisconsin last year, and we have had some great non conference wins in the past few years, its a good win and we should be happy, but lets not get too carried away.

on a side note, can't believe the improvement I have seen from EE, when was a redshirt freshman, I couldn't understand how he got a B1G scholarship, but boy has he proved me wrong! Must of learned a thing or 2 from Trevor before he left. My jaw dropped when he hit that jumper. Credit to him and pitino for improving his game as much as he has, proud of the big fella!

He doesn't shoot that often, but he's hit quite a few jumpers so it wasn't that shocking to me. Great game from him though and I absolutely love the way he's been playing. So much passion and has such a big impact on the game. Gotta love it.

Myron Medcalf still trolling the Gophers in his article tonight (about 2 sentences in the whole article about the team that actually won). However he said that any big ten contender should beat Minnesota. Has he watched us play this year, or...?!

Great win, and I'm extremely happy, but people saying this is the best they felt in a long time? come on! IU win was much better and crazy, that was at the end of last season so wasn't that long ago. Best win I have ever personally witnessed as a gophers fan. Hell, we beat MSU last year, wisconsin last year, and we have had some great non conference wins in the past few years, its a good win and we should be happy, but lets not get too carried away.

on a side note, can't believe the improvement I have seen from EE, when was a redshirt freshman, I couldn't understand how he got a B1G scholarship, but boy has he proved me wrong! Must of learned a thing or 2 from Trevor before he left. My jaw dropped when he hit that jumper. Credit to him and pitino for improving his game as much as he has, proud of the big fella!

The first game EE started as a freshman against Virginia Tech, Bobby Knight raved about his big man skills. He's gotten better every year like good big men do. Coach Matta said basically the same thing.

National media seems to be putting the spotlight on the fact that tOSU lost and not that gophers won

There were a lot of people on this board saying EE wasn't D1 Material, at least you are one to come out and admit it.

National media seems to be putting the spotlight on the fact that tOSU lost and not that gophers won

For what its worth, I think thats the bigger story. They haven't lost 3 in a row since 09 was it? Pitino got some press, and if you looked at Twitter, he got props from Dickie V, Doug Gotlieb (sp?) and many gophers were going gaga over his coaching.

Great day for gopher fans, even without a huge splash from ESPN.

Guy- I think the reason people say this is the best they have felt in a long time is that they not only see wins but they like what they see in terms of how it is done and how they are coached. I am one of these that now sees the potential for something great in years ahead. Thank you coach Pitino! (and players)

It was the same thing with the football team. When we beat NU and Nebraska, the discussion seemed to be what they were doing wrong that caused them to lose to Minnesota. 2 more wins and people were talking about what we were doing right.

I hope OSU gets on a roll so this continues to look like a good win. We thought the Northwestern win was a good win even though they were skidding a bit, and they ended up being last in the division.

There were a lot of people on this board saying EE wasn't D1 Material, at least you are one to come out and admit it.

I'll admit to being one of them. I was saying something like, where did they get this uncoordinated stiff?

I'll admit to being one of them. I was saying something like, where did they get this uncoordinated stiff?

Yep, happens all the time with big guys. It takes them time to develop. When Dutcher was here it was a regular occurrence to have one or two 7-foot underclassmen on the roster who looked completely overmatched, weak and hopeless, only to turn into a solid (or more) starter by the end of their career. We can all speculate why it never happened with Tubby.

This is why I'm very disappointed that admissions screwed up the Carson Shanks situation.

Myron Medcalf still trolling the Gophers in his article tonight (about 2 sentences in the whole article about the team that actually won). However he said that any big ten contender should beat Minnesota. Has he watched us play this year, or...?!

I noticed that. Good ol' Myron. Why doesn't this guy just move back to Milwaukee, or North Carolina?

If you go back and read Myron's tweets during the game you can tell he was anticipating an OSU win. That and he sounded like he would have rather been watching the Tonya Harding 30 for 30.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

But it's definitely not surprising that Minnesota wasn't even mentioned in his article since we won s big game. Had we lost it would have probably been an article about Minnesota firing a good coach (Tubby) because they think they are better than they actually are (w/ Mason and lack of facilities refrences).

Martin will start immediately at the 4.

Not likely. A freshman is not likely to overtake the 5th year senior (who will have about 35 starts under his belt) to start at power forward in the B1G. I'd look for him to start as a Soph if he keeps developing.

I hope Martin earns meaningful minutes next year, though. We don't have anybody like him right now.

I don't think he has watched for about 5 years. This team can compete with anyone and has proved it going back to last year when they beat #1 in the country and eventual champ Louisville and now ranked Ohio State after playing well with M State and Syracuse.

Agree with #1.

#2Craft is a little over-rated he is struggling right now especially on offense. His 3pt % has gotten worse every year! We won a game at home against Ohio St. I would cool it with the we are much better than them talk.
#3 your going to start a 5'10 pg, a 6'1" sg, and a 6'2" sf? Austin is fustrating me also but as far as matchups go Smith would be giving up 3-4 inches and lots of weight to the A. White's, Valentines, Stuaskus' of the world.

Post Game thoughts:

1. Good win by the Gophers. They had to get a win in this tough stretch and they got one. Let's grab another.

2. Aaron Craft, like Ohio State, is massively overrated. We are much better than them. They should not be ranked, and Craft doesn't deserve the publicity he gets. Thus, I doubt this game will be seen as a big win for us.

3. Austin Hollins must come off the bench or have his minutes cut significantly. Malik Smith is better. Austin Hollins can neither dribble nor shoot. He dribbles like Mav and shoots like Rodney.

I absolutely begged Tubby to care enough to complain enough to just see if it would spark a team, so happy to have Pitino!
Pitino known that a technical foul is not always a bad thing. He pretty much begged them to T him up. And it worked.

Not likely. A freshman is not likely to overtake the 5th year senior (who will have about 35 starts under his belt) to start at power forward in the B1G. I'd look for him to start as a Soph if he keeps developing.

I hope Martin earns meaningful minutes next year, though. We don't have anybody like him right now.

I bet you he starts by the first big ten game. Richard knows we are really lacking a PF. Even Pitino sr said this team is a true PF or two ftom being really good. Oto and King will be very good bench options at both forward spots next year. We'll be able to go small or big.

How about EE outplaying former McDonald's all american Williams so much they decide to play small ball? How about Mathieu outplaying Craft! How about outrebounding an opponent by 15! How about beating a good but slumping team while only hitting 3-14 from deep! I like shooting lots of 3's but I disagree that a poor shooter like oto needs to jack up four 3's. I would give Dre and
smith the green light always. But i would tell the Oto's, King's, and Austin's of the world, that unless its an inside out pass lets work it around for a better shot.

How about EE outplaying former McDonald's all american Williams so much they decide to play small ball? How about Mathieu outplaying Craft! How about outrebounding an opponent by 15! How about beating a good but slumping team while only hitting 3-14 from deep! I like shooting lots of 3's but I disagree that a poor shooter like oto needs to jack up four 3's. I would give Dre and
smith the green light always. But i would tell the Oto's, King's, and Austin's of the world, that unless its an inside out pass lets work it around for a better shot.

EE outplayed Hammons too. He's been outstanding, definitely the team MVP so far.

EE outplayed Hammons too. He's been outstanding, definitely the team MVP so far.

He or Mathieu. They're our best players. Andre Hollins has almost become an afterthought. Hollins has dropped to our 3rd best player.

17 pts and 15 boards between Big Mo and EE last night. Pretty hard to find better production from the 5 in the B10.

Agreed, especially considering Mo only had 6 minutes. I see his minutes creeping up a bit as we continue through conference play.

Impressed by the adjustments the Gophers made in this game, it was pretty obvious Ohio State was rushing the 3-pt shooters trying to force them out of rhythm, Mo and EE had an open lane for the most part and they took advantage of it, kudo's to Pitino for taking advantage of the mismatches, if the Gophers continue to get that type of effort from these guys they are going to be hard to beat.

Top Bottom