Game 1 takeaways

Live tackling is a very difficult thing to do well. It takes game reps. Even for vets, it takes game reps to get back into doing it.

There is no preseason in college, and probably a limited amount of "live" work in fall camp, these days especially.

I think (hope!) that part will pick up here in the next few games as the season goes on.

Just another reason it's tough to open with a game like this, vs opening with Eastern Michigan.

One play that hasn't been mentioned a lot is the totally blown pass interference call (Nebraska db literally grabbed receiver before ball arrived) at critical spot late in the game.

That play would have determined the outcome of the game if it had not been late game heroics especially Daniel Jackson catch. That is resiliency! To just move on from that blown call.
The call that got me the most upset was the missed hold on Nebraska as Simms scrambled for a first down late in the 4th quarter with the game tied.

Completely agree. Bryce is a good 3rd down back, but I hope we get to see more Darius Taylor and/or Zach Evans against EMU.
Taylor got a carry late in the game, to me that seems to hint that they plan on getting him involved this season if they’re burning one of his free games week one.

Good to have the win. Lots of pros already mentioned and I agree with.

Cons:
  • Tyler and Crooms seem tiny. Easily brought down and cannot extend forward. This doesn't take away from the reliable hands on Crooms but man he and Tyler seem small.

• Redding as a returner. He is not dynamic - slow. I would want every kickoff - sent or received - to be a touchback with our current special teams. Or play Hoskins or other.

There were a few plays where there should have been tackles for loss but it appeared guys were hitting more than tackling. Big thumps that the Gopher player lost that would have been better as boring leg wraps.

Yep, but that RB is a dude. Mo made some guys look silly as well. Just physics, leverage for Maverick. He was, I think, usually in the right place so that was nice. In my plebe opinion going to be really good.

Didn’t blow our timeouts and made plays when it mattered the most. Play calling at the end was very good with that well timed run at the end.

Cons:
  • Tyler and Crooms seem tiny. Easily brought down and cannot extend forward. This doesn't take away from the reliable hands on Crooms but man he and Tyler seem small.

• Redding as a returner. He is not dynamic - slow. I would want every kickoff - sent or received - to be a touchback with our current special teams. Or play Hoskins or other.
I noticed this the most too...catching the ball on the 3 and failing to get to the 20 every return is not acceptable. He was slowing up before being hit on every return.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is poor tackling. Lots of missed tackles at the LOS that resulted in bigger plays.

Absolutely. Rossi has those guys in the right place almost every play. Their biggest plays(minus the freak dropped throwback) could have all been stopped right around the line of scrimmage with a good tackle. I think it was Selig that had one right at the line and he missed it and it went for 30 yards. But overall the D was in the right place a lot of the time.

And on Nubin's big pick in the 4th, it almost seemed like they baited him into it. That pass was the only one that Sims had been able to complete all game and he went to the well once to often.

I think someone else mentioned this, but it did seem like some of our WR's and BSF kind of fought the ball into their hands. But I do think if we can get the run game going a little bit more BSF is going to put up big numbers.

I see that AK release balls so fast out of his hands that multiple receivers are having trouble catching his throws?! Seemed like the ball just hits the receivers’ hands so hard that the ball just bounced / pop off of them.

At least on the TV. Did you guys feel or see that?

I also saw that our KO returner didn’t seem running as hard as last year, he’d run it out and then slows down before impact.
AK throws SO hard. I didn't care for it in some spots last night but he can deliver the ball in tighter windows because of it. He made a few throws last night that would've been breakups if it were Tanner simply due to how quick he snaps his wrist on the throw.

Exciting to see AK make plays outside the pocket. He's a gamer and a gunslinger. Multiple pass plays on first down, much different than last year. This team is going to be fun to watch this year!

Cons:

We keep recruiting these guys who run 10 second 100m dashes in HS track. There's gotta be at least ONE of them we can plug in as a returner. Redding isn't fast and doesn't break tackles.

Did anyone else notice there were several plays where it appeared Ersery seemed to start his drop to pass block before the snap? There was one play I think in the 4th quarter that was very obviously a false start that was not called. With another reffing crew these plays could have been called and very costly.

Something I haven't seen mentioned is poor tackling. Lots of missed tackles at the LOS that resulted in bigger plays.
They are shaking the cobwebs, and unfortunately have to do it against an athletic QB Sims for most of the game.

The Defense redeemed itself by forcing a turnover that resulted in a field-goal win.

You can bet that Coach Rossi will tighten things up.

If Greg Johnson is as good as they think, he needs to play on the Oline. Can't keep horses in the barn. To bulky on right side of line, need more speed. I understand why veterans played first game but Johnson is just too talented to keep on the sidelines. If we are going to play Tyler at tailback we need a lead blocker H-back fullback type that hits the hole like a missle. Then I think you would see Tyler's break away speed. He doesn't have the leg drive to break tackles like MO did. We need a two back set with Tyler and some misdirection where he or Athon get free off the edge on some counter action. First game as a line for 3 guys but they need to be whole lot quicker up front on the Oline. Not a lot of teams play a 3 3 5 and run blitz like Nebraska did.
The O-Line didn't open very many running lanes against the Nebraska Defense. If Greg Johnson is ready, then play him. JMS and others are gone, and the "new" Gopher OL needs to make tweaks and put the best players on the field.

This game is a godsend happening at the first game of the season against a Big Ten opponent. The Gophers can access data on what needs to improve moving forward.

The Offense needs to reach new heights of play. It will be a long tough season.

Taylor got a carry late in the game, to me that seems to hint that they plan on getting him involved this season if they’re burning one of his free games week one.
I feel like the days of trying to hold off and not play a guy in order to save him for down the road are done. Whether a guy plays one game or a dozen, there's no certainty he'll be here next year anyway. If a guy can play, get him on the field.

I feel like the days of trying to hold off and not play a guy in order to save him for down the road are done. Whether a guy plays one game or a dozen, there's no certainty he'll be here next year anyway. If a guy can play, get him on the field.
I agree, really hoping they get Taylor and Evans involved vs EMU. I imagine things have gone disastrously if AK is asked to throw it 44 times again vs EMU.

For week one I thought it was fine. That running back and quarterback are grown ass men not easy to bring down. Back in the day during practice, we tackled to the ground a couple of times a week. They just don’t do that nowadays. I thought overall Baranowski was great.

Tre'Von Jones looked like he belonged tonight too. Pick was big, but made some nice tackles too.

For him, Nubin, Walley and probably a couple of other guys. Real great game. Saw some Nebraska writer say they wanted to take some deeper shots, but no WR ever had any deep separation.

Did anyone else notice there were several plays where it appeared Ersery seemed to start his drop to pass block before the snap? There was one play I think in the 4th quarter that was very obviously a false start that was not called. With another reffing crew these plays could have been called and very costly.
Yes, like on the TD pass. He is close to being in motion.

Don't like how a lot of people are saying "NE found a way to lose" or "NE gave the game away." Without Walley punching the ball out, no fumble. Without Nubin literally stepping in front of the receiver and snatching it away, no interception, without Jackson's immaculate route running and reception on 4th down, game is over. Gophers earned it.

Don't like how a lot of people are saying "NE found a way to lose" or "NE gave the game away." Without Walley punching the ball out, no fumble. Without Nubin literally stepping in front of the receiver and snatching it away, no interception, without Jackson's immaculate route running and reception on 4th down, game is over. Gophers earned it.
We did make some big plays. All of them that you mention are big. I was kind of resigned to the game being a loss until Walley punched the ball out. Then my thinking immediately changed to, "we are back in business." All the plays that you mention were key, but the timing of Walley's was crucial. Go Gophers!

1) We need a new kickoff returner, don't think we ever got past the 20 on a return.
2) We have to figure out our run game.
3) I noticed on 4th down, many of our defenders celebrated, and reluctantly (or did not) raise their fist to signal 4th down. Not a big deal, but that was different from past years.

Top Bottom