Gach, Robbins waiver updates from Marcus

Reading between the lines: Robbins isn't getting a waiver. Figures.

Unfortunately I think "more information" means it was denied and is currently being appealed. It really seems like the threat of a lawsuit always leads to a player getting immediate eligibility. If you have a lawyer, you get to play

Any ideas why the strategy to wait on Both?

After denying Robbins, the NCAA will be too ashamed to deny Both.
He’s coming home from Utah. There’s nothing to deny.

Robbins was always free agency. Was probably thinking, like everyone else, that they were going to update the waiver guidelines to match volleyball, etc. where you get to transfer once without any sit-out. That got squashed by powerful men at the last second in smoke filled rooms.

No news that Robbins has been denied. Both will get a waiver. Keepin' the faith. I like 'em both lined up at tipoff whenever the season gets underway.

No news that Robbins has been denied. Both will get a waiver. Keepin' the faith. I like 'em both lined up at tipoff whenever the season gets underway.
I want to. But this whole deal to me always felt like it was predicated in the waiver guidelines being updated to match volleyball, etc. No one saw it coming that strings were gonna get pulled to squash that.

Any ideas why the strategy to wait on Both?
Just a total guess is that if you send both in, the NCAA may say "one out of two" is good enough for the U. Get Robbins' done first, and then to Gach second? There's no legitimate way they can deny Gach's request.

I think I saw in Twitter they hadn't submitted Gach's yet and Robbins' needed "more information."

I can't imagine Gach's not getting approved. Hopefully the information needed for Robbins is a formality.

I think I saw in Twitter they hadn't submitted Gach's yet and Robbins' needed "more information."

I can't imagine Gach's not getting approved. Hopefully the information needed for Robbins is a formality.
Request for more information likely means U of M is in process of requesting the waiver for a second time. Essentially, NCAA not satisfied at this point there’s enough reason to grant immediate eligibility. Another way of saying, “Prove it. ... that’s not enough.”

Maybe they had to wait until Both formally withdrew from the NBA draft considerations.
That one makes the most sense. Distance the request from that to promote the closer to home reason. And let the NBA aspirations die a bit along with the transferring to better competition to create a stronger NBA resume connection wane a bit as well.
Hopefully, the strategy works but my thought is he's more likely approved in a flood of requests than waiting until the whole office has nothing to do but review his case.

Request for more information likely means U of M is in process of requesting the waiver for a second time. Essentially, NCAA not satisfied at this point there’s enough reason to grant immediate eligibility. Another way of saying, “Prove it. ... that’s not enough.”

I agree and have always agree with MPLS on not seeing how Robbins gets a waiver with the current guidelines and requirements.

About Robbins he came to the U to play for his Uncle...what could the NCAA be missing

I think I saw same thing on gopherhole 10 posts back lol

Semi related, Makhi and Makhel Mitchell transferred from Maryland to Rhode Island and were just granted immediate eligibility. Appears they’re originally from Maryland or DC, so Rhode Island would be farther from home. Haven’t seen anything regarding a family connection.

Semi related, Makhi and Makhel Mitchell transferred from Maryland to Rhode Island and were just granted immediate eligibility. Appears they’re originally from Maryland or DC, so Rhode Island would be farther from home. Haven’t seen anything regarding a family connection.
Only thing there I would say is, they’re stepping down from Big Ten to A10.

Robbins is stepping up (significantly) from MVC to Big Ten.

One thing that coaches and NCAA have feared with transfers is the high-major schools using the low and mid-majors as feeder programs.

Only thing there I would say is, they’re stepping down from Big Ten to A10.

Robbins is stepping up (significantly) from MVC to Big Ten.

One thing that coaches and NCAA have feared with transfers is the high-major schools using the low and mid-majors as feeder programs.

I’ve heard that too... so best punish the players who are just trying to live up to their potential ;-)

As an aside, I like the idea of each team only being allowed a certain number of transfers per time frame (ie 8 in 4 years or something, maybe a reset with coaching changes). I think fewer landing spots would shrink the transfer portal. It could also force teams to value 4 year guys because they wouldn’t always be able to find a better bandaid.

I’ve heard that too... so best punish the players who are just trying to live up to their potential ;-)

As an aside, I like the idea of each team only being allowed a certain number of transfers per time frame (ie 8 in 4 years or something, maybe a reset with coaching changes). I think fewer landing spots would shrink the transfer portal. It could also force teams to value 4 year guys because they wouldn’t always be able to find a better bandaid.
We certainly don't punish coaches who get a promotion from mid-major schools to high-major schools.

To be clear, I support new legislation that would allow all student-athletes in all sports, one "no consequences, red-tape free" transfer in their first four years. You shouldn't need any reason other than you want a change.

The whole system is crooked and stinks to high heaven. A kid busts his tail at a smaller school and proves that he can play on the big floor and they punish him by making them sit a year. While a player who can't cut it at a Big 6 school downgrades and gets immediate eligibility to be the big fish in the pond.

Total bullshit.

To be clear, I support new legislation that would allow all student-athletes in all sports, one "no consequences, red-tape free" transfer in their first four years. You shouldn't need any reason other than you want a change.

100% agree with you on this. ... one "freebie" in your first four years without having to sit out. If you graduate in four years and want a grad-transfer season somewhere else, I could live with that being an allowable second transfer. (That said, I'm not a big fan of the grad-transfer rule)

The whole system is crooked and stinks to high heaven. A kid busts his tail at a smaller school and proves that he can play on the big floor and they punish him by making them sit a year. While a player who can't cut it at a Big 6 school downgrades and gets immediate eligibility to be the big fish in the pond.

Total bullshit.
I really would be interested to see what would happen if they did like they do in all the other sports (outside of basketball/football) and just give everyone free transfers. I think the concept was always the "worry" about super teams and teams openly recruiting kids on other teams. I am fine if they open it up but I would say you get 1 free waiver but then if you want to move again you are 100% required to sit a year, no if/ands/buts. You dont want kids jumping team to team every year. I would also think they need to have a pretty strong punishment for guys who are recruiting a kid while they are still on scholarship at another school. I would be pretty upset if say Bateman all of a sudden has Saban/Oregeron up here chasing him around getting him to flip to LSU/Bama after having a great freshman year type thing.
For the people who dont like super powers, "free" transfers would really bump that. Not that it isnt the case now but you would basically only have 8 teams in CFB and about 16 in CBB that would have a shot to win. The odds that a VanVleet or Baker stays at Wichita for 4 years if they had a free waiver is unlikely, or even say a Carr, suddenly he has a great year and hey Duke lost their PG well K shows up and hes gone. So while i am ok with it, I also think people need to be ready for our teams to be pillaged and for the super powers to become REALLY super.

100% agree with you on this. ... one "freebie" in your first four years without having to sit out. If you graduate in four years and want a grad-transfer season somewhere else, I could live with that being an allowable second transfer. (That said, I'm not a big fan of the grad-transfer rule)
Conferences could still have their own rules that require a sit-out if transferring within the conf.

However, that certainly didn’t happen with a key defensive player on the Gopher vball team that transferred to Wisconsin for 2019 and played right away for them.

The transfer rules could be tightened considerbaly if abuses becoem prevlaent. Right now we have the worst system of all; total uncertianty in how the existing rules are applied.

I don't understand why people think if a player has to sit for a year, they are being punished. If a player needs to transfer so badly out of the program that he's at, that he's willing to spend a season not playing, then by all means, transfer out.

But the culture of college hoops continues to trend towards guys constantly leaving and rosters turning over like crazy. I'm all for kids wanting to challenge themselves at a higher level, but I don't see how sitting a year and developing in the program is a bad thing.

And if the threat of having to sit for a year cuts down on some of the guys who just want to be recruited again or are leaving because that's just the way kids think now, I think the sport is far and away better.

Top Bottom