Gabe Kalscheur appreciation thread

He certainly had a very good all around game tonight. If Pitino would have played him more like he played tonight instead of having him hang outside most of the time, he might have had a much better all around career here.
Gabe played 32-35 minutes a night here and I'll always defend him, but somethings have nothing to do with coaching, deciding to be aggressive is one of them

Not sure what the difference is but maybe he was pushed toward doing what works for him. He made 9/15 two point tries, a 60 percent clip and 1/4 from the three. He is tough off the dribble.

Yeah it was really fun watching him have a night. It's been kind of fun to watch some of these Minnesota kids have success at Iowa St. I have great memories of Jake Sullivan having his run some 20 years ago. Hopefully the kid from Caledonia turns into the player people are making him out to be

Not sure what the difference is but maybe he was pushed toward doing what works for him. He made 9/15 two point tries, a 60 percent clip and 1/4 from the three. He is tough off the dribble.
I actually think the fact that he went looking for 2s as opposed to just jacking up 3s really helped him have a great night. His 3 point shooting has been horrible but clearly the kid is a good shooter, so he made the decision to look for other shots as opposed to settling for 3s and it paid off big time.

Yeah it was really fun watching him have a night. It's been kind of fun to watch some of these Minnesota kids have success at Iowa St. I have great memories of Jake Sullivan having his run some 20 years ago. Hopefully the kid from Caledonia turns into the player people are making him out to be
I remember watching Sullivan warm up once (which was impressive itself) and thinking that there was no way that chubby short guy was going to torch me. He then put what felt like 80 points on me in AAU ball and as I was walking off the court I overheard someone say "Jake almost didn't play because of his sinus infection".

I thought it couldn't get any worse, I woke up two days later with a really bad cold.

I remember watching Sullivan warm up once (which was impressive itself) and thinking that there was no way that chubby short guy was going to torch me. He then put what felt like 80 points on me in AAU ball and as I was walking off the court I overheard someone say "Jake almost didn't play because of his sinus infection".

I thought it couldn't get any worse, I woke up two days later with a really bad cold.
I conclude this one thing:
Bob, you must really suck at basketball!!! 🙂😅

Can’t remember if Minnesota recruited Sullivan seriously. He was a dominant high school player. He had a swag to him and could flat out shoot.

Can’t remember if Minnesota recruited Sullivan seriously. He was a dominant high school player. He had a swag to him and could flat out shoot.
I remember reading an article a few years ago that was saying Sullivan grew up a die hard Gopher fan and he wasn't recruited at all by Clem.

I remember reading an article a few years ago that was saying Sullivan grew up a die hard Gopher fan and he wasn't recruited at all by Clem.
Monson gave it a shot when he arrived but it was too late. Clem and his staff believed essentially the same thing you did when you played him. Too small and too slow for high major basketball.

For all the moaning about local recruiting recently, there certainly is a history of really bad mistakes in bygone eras. Jake Sullivan and Troy Bell top the list. Neither was given a serious look by the Gophers and became all-time greats at their schools. Both likely would have been Gophers if given a reasonable opportunity. At least back then, the bias against Minnesota high school players oozed from our out of town coaches.

Monson gave it a shot when he arrived but it was too late. Clem and his staff believed essentially the same thing you did when you played him. Too small and too slow for high major basketball.

For all the moaning about local recruiting recently, there certainly is a history of really bad mistakes in bygone eras. Jake Sullivan and Troy Bell top the list. Neither was given a serious look by the Gophers and became all-time greats at their schools. Both likely would have been Gophers if given a reasonable opportunity. At least back then, the bias against Minnesota high school players oozed from our out of town coaches.
Troy Bell's college stats are pretty insane, what's the story on his recruiting?

Sullivan was sooooo good.

Bell was recruited by mn but him and el Amin are pins marking the end of regional basketball at the D1 level.

Darius Lane too. He went on to be a pretty good player at Seton Hall. He was practically begging to play for the U and was ignored.

Troy Bell's college stats are pretty insane, what's the story on his recruiting?
Local basketball people knew he was one of the best shooters in a generation around here. Story is that Clem wasn’t on board but did offer him a take it now or leave it scholarship and he wanted to make a few other visits. The rest is history in his time at BC. He doesn’t speak highly of Minnesota. He is a friend of Ben’s though.

Local basketball people knew he was one of the best shooters in a generation around here. Story is that Clem wasn’t on board but did offer him a take it now or leave it scholarship and he wanted to make a few other visits. The rest is history in his time at BC. He doesn’t speak highly of Minnesota. He is a friend of Ben’s though.
Nadine did an interview with Troy Bell around the George Floyd stuff. The discussion was pretty dominated by her asking him about racism so I think some of the Gopher discussion was missed. But generally, this is what Troy Bell had to say:

(1) Prior to AAU getting big in MN, no one cared about Minnesota players including the Gophers;
(2) Troy had heard that Clem doesn't like recruiting MN people;
(3) Clem was actively recruiting some of his closest friends (Nick Horvath (friends as kids) Ben Johnson (went to same church) and Mike Bauer (played AAU together). He would turn on Gopher games and see those players behind the bench. He reached out to the U and asked why he was never invited to the games and the Gopher staff lied to him and said that they don't invite recruits to games.
(4) Clem offered him but it was clear he wasn't interested. He had to commit on the spot without an official visit. Clem cancelled his home visit. He thought Clem felt pressured into offering him and didn't really want him to commit.
(5) He wasn't mad at Clem, realizes it was just a guy trying to do his job and win basketball games.

It’s crazy that Gabe has shot 24% from three in back-to-back seasons. I never would have imagined that after his freshman year.

Nadine did an interview with Troy Bell around the George Floyd stuff. The discussion was pretty dominated by her asking him about racism so I think some of the Gopher discussion was missed. But generally, this is what Troy Bell had to say:

(1) Prior to AAU getting big in MN, no one cared about Minnesota players including the Gophers;
(2) Troy had heard that Clem doesn't like recruiting MN people;
(3) Clem was actively recruiting some of his closest friends (Nick Horvath (friends as kids) Ben Johnson (went to same church) and Mike Bauer (played AAU together). He would turn on Gopher games and see those players behind the bench. He reached out to the U and asked why he was never invited to the games and the Gopher staff lied to him and said that they don't invite recruits to games.
(4) Clem offered him but it was clear he wasn't interested. He had to commit on the spot without an official visit. Clem cancelled his home visit. He thought Clem felt pressured into offering him and didn't really want him to commit.
(5) He wasn't mad at Clem, realizes it was just a guy trying to do his job and win basketball games.
Not disputing this account but 2 and 3 seem conflicting. I also can't think of a single impact minnesotan that Clem missed out on until el amin, who was a one time commit in the first place.

Not disputing this account but 2 and 3 seem conflicting. I also can't think of a single impact minnesotan that Clem missed out on until el amin, who was a one time commit in the first place.
Yeah, I thought the same thing. It sounded like Clem's kid was actually pushing him hard to start recruiting locally.

It’s crazy that Gabe has shot 24% from three in back-to-back seasons. I never would have imagined that after his freshman year.
His form is so perfect and he lets the ball go so easily........I will never understand it.

So there are two pages of praise for a player who deserted MN to play for another school simply because he helped beat WI in the NCAA tournament.
And there are 20+ pages full of vitriol for an MN native who played for another school and helped them get into the NCAA multiple times.
That says a lot about some of the posters on this site.

So there are two pages of praise for a player who deserted MN to play for another school simply because he helped beat WI in the NCAA tournament.
And there are 20+ pages full of vitriol for an MN native who played for another school and helped them get into the NCAA multiple times.
That says a lot about some of the posters on this site.
Our gophers finished in last place and are miles from the tournament. What would you suggest we talk about instead?

Top Bottom