Gabe Kalscheur appreciation thread

Fortunately for him, he made himself into a good basketball player despite the poor shooting. He has always defended.

He certainly had a very good all around game tonight. If Pitino would have played him more like he played tonight instead of having him hang outside most of the time, he might have had a much better all around career here.

He certainly had a very good all around game tonight. If Pitino would have played him more like he played tonight instead of having him hang outside most of the time, he might have had a much better all around career here.
That Pitino, damn his eyes!!😡

how is this good. Hey, mn players go to isu if you want to play winning bball?
isu won two games last year. Bring in tj, who recruits mn and rebuilds and now is in the sweet 16. And in typical mn tradition, we finish last and still suck
Iowa State is a mirage, as was Wisconsin.

It's no biggie!

how is this good. Hey, mn players go to isu if you want to play winning bball?
isu won two games last year. Bring in tj, who recruits mn and rebuilds and now is in the sweet 16. And in typical mn tradition, we finish last and still suck
That kinda crossed my mind, but I don't think one big performance by one Minnesota high school player, who spent most of his career at Minnesota, is going to have some outsized influence and cause in-state players to flock to Ames now. The other two Minnesota high school kids they have committed are a guy whose family had a pre-existing relationship with the coach there, and a guy whose high major interest was drying up and took what was available.

Also the alternative is Wisconsin winning, which would suck on its own merits, but they also have gotten far more players from Minnesota over the years, and have more of them on their roster right now, and they're in our conference. Iowa State has had little success recruiting Minnesota until the last year. They got Royce White as a transfer a decade ago, and then whiffed on Rashad Vaughn, Jarvis Johnson, Amir Coffey, and Race Thompson. Probably better for us if Iowa State has a pipeline into Minnesota than Wisconsin, and one of them had to win this game.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">That calls for a little celebration!!! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Cyclones?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Cyclones</a> | <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/C5C?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#C5C</a> <a href="https://t.co/085E0yoHnB">pic.twitter.com/085E0yoHnB</a></p>&mdash; Iowa State Men’s Basketball (@CycloneMBB) <a href="">March 21, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That kinda crossed my mind, but I don't think one big performance by one Minnesota high school player, who spent most of his career at Minnesota, is going to have some outsized influence and cause in-state players to flock to Ames now. The other two Minnesota high school kids they have committed are a guy whose family had a pre-existing relationship with the coach there, and a guy whose high major interest was drying up and took what was available.

Also the alternative is Wisconsin winning, which would suck on its own merits, but they also have gotten far more players from Minnesota over the years, and have more of them on their roster right now, and they're in our conference. Iowa State has had little success recruiting Minnesota until the last year. They got Royce White as a transfer a decade ago, and then whiffed on Rashad Vaughn, Jarvis Johnson, Amir Coffey, and Race Thompson. Probably better for us if Iowa State has a pipeline into Minnesota than Wisconsin, and one of them had to win this game.

Mostly agree with this as a Twin Cities Cyclone. ISU has had a history of recruiting basketball players from Minnesota but that was on the women's side and I think that is trending more to past tense. We've never had much success recruiting Minnesota on the men's side as your swing and misses indicate. Hell, if there is talk of recruiting a Minnesota kid on the ISU board I pretty much sorta chuckle at it. If Minnesota loses top recruits it isn't likely to be to a Big 12 team, competition is from the Blue Bloods for the elite players and other Big 10 teams for the four stars.

Not talking the transfer portal though, that's a complete wildcard free-for-all I can't begin to even predict. TJ stuck gold with a couple of Big 10 transfers but don't see that as any sort of Minnesota pipeline to ISU.

Nice night for Kalscheur. Wish it could have been for us, but that wasn't in the cards. Playing "what ifs" is a fruitless exercise, but I can't help but wonder what our season would have looked like if Kalscheur and Brandon Johnson had stuck around. I doubt it would have put us in the NCAA tournament, but it probably would have put us above .500.

Top Bottom