future nonconference schedule

1gophergnu

Reaction score
I know the schedule is set for a few years, but what team would you like coach Kill to try to schedule. I would love a home and home with Florida State. That would be a great road trip.

A home and home with FSU would be a dream come true. The Noles have always been my second favorite team since the days of Charlie Ward.

I wouldn't mind scheduling an SEC team, primarily because I can't remember playing them in a home and home series in my lifetime.

SEC will almost NEVER agree to play up north, so the hopes of getting an SEC team to come to Minnesota is somewhat remote.
I wouldn't mind, for selfish as well as recruiting reasons, some games in Texas.

Per the University's policy I don't think we can schedule a game with Florida State since they have an Indian mascot. Conference opponents (Illinois and UND in hockey) as well as any matchups due to tournaments of the ACC/BigTen Challenge are excluded.

Wouldn't mind a Baylor series, Virginia series, or a BC series.

Notre Dame
Stanford
Washington
Tennessee (it's a wish list)
LSU (again, just a wish)
I picked places based on where I would like to visit. I thoroughly enjoyed the USC series.

Per the University's policy I don't think we can schedule a game with Florida State since they have an Indian mascot. Conference opponents (Illinois and UND in hockey) as well as any matchups due to tournaments of the ACC/BigTen Challenge are excluded.

Really hope they get rid of this rule. It's extremely hypocritical (it's ok to play UND and get the cash from it NOW while in conference but not later or in a bowl game and receive the benefits, etc) and silly since as long as the team name is allowed under law/NCAA regulations we should be able to play them.

How will this apply to hockey when the Gophers move to the B1G conference? Is that rivalry going to be dropped or is there going to be a loophole made (if UND is able to keep their name)

SEC will almost NEVER agree to play up north, so the hopes of getting an SEC team to come to Minnesota is somewhat remote.
I wouldn't mind, for selfish as well as recruiting reasons, some games in Texas.

They would probably be okay with it as long as their game in MN was in September.

I do know that Florida State does have the backing of the Seminole tribes in Florida and Oklahoma.

I think the home and home with Navy is going to be great, but that's not for almost a decade. Same with Oregon State. North Carolina's going to be cool. It'd be neat to get into the SEC, even if it's just an Ole Miss or Vandy series.

My criteria for a fun away trip is based on some combo of the local CFB scene (tailgating, "scenery", coolness of stadium, etc) and the local area (things to do, have I been there, nearby golf options, etc). Quality of opponent is secondary to me, though if a particular area of the country (CA for instance) is desired I'll likely consider a better team b/c of CFB atmosphere. So off the top of my head in alphabetical order by conference:
ACC:
- Clemson: Howard's Rock, "The most exciting 25 seconds in CFB", Death Valley
- FSU: Flaming Spear, Doak Campbell, "scenery", my brother is stationed in Kings Bay, GA
- Virginia: have always wanted to see Scott stadium for some reason
Big 12:
- Texas: Have good buddies in Austin, Austin is an awesome city, Texas FB Saturdays are supposed to be crazy, great "scenery", Godzillatron
Big East
- Cincy: My wife is an alum, love the city, like Nippert Stadium
Pac 12:
- ASU: One of my best friends lives in Phoenix. Quality "scenery". Golf. Hate Phoenix so no buddy in the area and this isn't on the list.
- Cal: Bummed I missed '06, renovating the stadium, San Fran, Napa
- Colorado: Beautiful area, never been to CO
- Oregon: Autzen and the other crazy Nike mecca's, beautiful area, always wanted to go to Oregon, would pair it with golf at Bandon Dunes.
- Oregon State: See Oregon minus the facilities
- Utah: Beautiful area, always wanted to travel to Utah
- Washington: Stadium by the bay, would try to figure out how to boat tailgate, always wanted to visit the area, golf at Chambers Bay
- Wazzu: Beautiful area, university's golf course is top notch, easy drive to great golf in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
SEC:
Bama: Stadium, gameday atmosphere, would through in a little RTJ trail golfing
Florida: The Swamp, my brother is based in Kings Bay, GA
Georgia: The Hedges, my brother is based in Kings Bay, GA
LSU: Tailgating, NOLA, golfing the Audubon Golf Trail, Death Valley at Night
Ol' Miss: The Grove, great "scenery"
Tennessee: Neyland Stadium, Volunteer Navy, Rocky Top
Indy's
- Army: Beautiful area, cool traditions
- Navy: Cool traditions, brother is in the Navy
- Notre Dame: Touchdown Jesus, etc
Non-BCS:
- Air Force: Cool traditions, beautiful area
- BYU: Beautiful area, stadium in awesome setting right in the mountains

I wouldn't mind scheduling an SEC team, primarily because I can't remember playing them in a home and home series in my lifetime.

It's not just the Gophers - it's the entire Big Ten. As I posted last week in another similar thread:

Big Ten schools absolutely will not schedule OOC games with SEC schools, with the exception of the SEC's academic standard-bearer, Vanderbilt, unless it's a rivalry game such as Indiana-Kentucky, Illinois-Missouri or Penn State-Alabama (which actually goes back to the Nittany Lions days as an independent), and even those appear to be on hiatus.

The last true Big Ten-SEC non-conference game was a home-and-home between Ohio State and LSU in 1987-88. Before that, you have to go back to 1980, when Illinois hosted Mississippi State (Iowa played Tennessee in the 1987 Kickoff Classic and Michigan played South Carolina in 1985, seven years before the Gamecocks were members of the SEC).

Point being, don't hold your breath for an OOC game against the SEC. Not gonna happen.

Point being, don't hold your breath for an OOC game against the SEC. Not gonna happen.
Yea, my current plan to see a game in the SEC involves me executing a buddies golf trip with a CFB game tacked on at the end.

My criteria for a fun away trip is based on some combo of the local CFB scene (tailgating, "scenery", coolness of stadium, etc) and the local area (things to do, have I been there, nearby golf options, etc). Quality of opponent is secondary to me, though if a particular area of the country (CA for instance) is desired I'll likely consider a better team b/c of CFB atmosphere. So off the top of my head in alphabetical order by conference:
ACC:
- Clemson: Howard's Rock, "The most exciting 25 seconds in CFB", Death Valley
- FSU: Flaming Spear, Doak Campbell, "scenery", my brother is stationed in Kings Bay, GA
- Virginia: have always wanted to see Scott stadium for some reason
Big 12:
- Texas: Have good buddies in Austin, Austin is an awesome city, Texas FB Saturdays are supposed to be crazy, great "scenery", Godzillatron
Big East
- Cincy: My wife is an alum, love the city, like Nippert Stadium
Pac 12:
- ASU: One of my best friends lives in Phoenix. Quality "scenery". Golf. Hate Phoenix so no buddy in the area and this isn't on the list.
- Cal: Bummed I missed '06, renovating the stadium, San Fran, Napa
- Colorado: Beautiful area, never been to CO
- Oregon: Autzen and the other crazy Nike mecca's, beautiful area, always wanted to go to Oregon, would pair it with golf at Bandon Dunes.
- Oregon State: See Oregon minus the facilities
- Utah: Beautiful area, always wanted to travel to Utah
- Washington: Stadium by the bay, would try to figure out how to boat tailgate, always wanted to visit the area, golf at Chambers Bay
- Wazzu: Beautiful area, university's golf course is top notch, easy drive to great golf in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
SEC:
Bama: Stadium, gameday atmosphere, would through in a little RTJ trail golfing
Florida: The Swamp, my brother is based in Kings Bay, GA
Georgia: The Hedges, my brother is based in Kings Bay, GA
LSU: Tailgating, NOLA, golfing the Audubon Golf Trail, Death Valley at Night
Ol' Miss: The Grove, great "scenery"
Tennessee: Neyland Stadium, Volunteer Navy, Rocky Top
Indy's
- Army: Beautiful area, cool traditions
- Navy: Cool traditions, brother is in the Navy
- Notre Dame: Touchdown Jesus, etc
Non-BCS:
- Air Force: Cool traditions, beautiful area
- BYU: Beautiful area, stadium in awesome setting right in the mountains

So ... almost anywhere? :)

It's not a home and home, but Alabama is playing Michigan next season (Cowboy Stadium).

We already have a pretty good one with UNLV.

Hawaii the week after Thanksgiving (like Sconny did last year) would be nice.

Other than that....any BCS school would be pretty cool.

Texas
Ole Miss (I know, the SEC argument)

They would top my list.

We already have a pretty good one with UNLV.

Other than that....any BCS school would be pretty cool.

Texas
Ole Miss (I know, the SEC argument)

They would top my list.
Now with the conference championship can we do week after Thanksgiving games?

Michigan played South Carolina in 1985, seven years before the Gamecocks were members of the SEC.

Thanks for the memory, I attended this game. Jamie Morris had a big day and Jim Harbaugh was the Mich QB. Now, I don't know if this had anything to do with this game being scheduled, but there was some discussion of this matchup in the South Carolina media about Joe Morrison (SC's then HC) being married to Gary Moeller's (the then Mich DC) sister. Probably not because it was only Morrison's third year as HC, and SC had played at Mich a few years earlier. The SC folks were really excited to have a B1G team come south to play them, and yes they were an independent in 1985.

Hmmm...I omitted them for some reason. Probably cost and the fact that I've been lucky enough to get there twice on someone else's dime (college bball and work). But of course, add Hawaii to my bloated list! :)

Minnesota has a Home and home with Colorado. I believe it in 2021 and 2022. Someone can correct me on the years.

gophersfan said:
Minnesota has a Home and home with Colorado. I believe it in 2021 and 2022. Someone can correct me on the years.

I thought that was the CSU Rams not the CU Buffs.

Top Bottom