FSN: Questions abound for Gophers at RB, WR & QB in 2015

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Following the Citrus Bowl on Jan. 1, Cobb was asked about the void he's leaving behind at running back. He sounded confident in the backs the program has for 2015.

"It's going to be competitive," Cobb said. "I wouldn't be surprised if we see two or three backs playing and maybe getting 10, 11 carries a game. You always have Rodrick and Berkley here, and then you have Rodney, he's making plays every day in practice. You have the freshmen coming in, but also Jeff Jones. It'll be interesting. It'll be competitive, and that's the best thing about it."

Like Cobb did with the running backs, though, Williams gave praise to the returning group of tight ends.

"There's so much depth in the tight end room and the whole team," Williams said. "They're going to be great next year. Everyone knows it. We know it. Now they've just got to go out there and put the work in and great things are going to keep happening around here."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...ota-golden-gophers-at-rb-wr-qb-in-2015-010915

Go Gophers!!

Those are not the same questions I have. I'm much more concerned with the linebackers and defensive line.

Those are not the same questions I have. I'm much more concerned with the linebackers and defensive line.

What's the concern with D-Line? Everyone except Botticelli and Amaefula returns next year. Plus Scott Ekpe should be healthy. Botticelli was definitely a key component this year but the way the frosh played this year is really encouraging.

What's the concern with D-Line? Everyone except Botticelli and Amaefula returns next year. Plus Scott Ekpe should be healthy. Botticelli was definitely a key component this year but the way the frosh played this year is really encouraging.

My concern mostly stems from them not being that good this year. Our pass rush was non existent most games, and our run defense was good at times, but also could be gashed.

My concern mostly stems from them not being that good this year. Our pass rush was non existent most games, and our run defense was good at times, but also could be gashed.

OK I gotcha. So its an existing concern rather than a new one created from voids left by players leaving. I can see that.

We played 10 guys this year on the D-line, and we lose 2. And not even the best 2. Plus Scott Ekpe, who started as a soph and game 1 this year, will be back.

The pass rush needs to improve, but I can't remember ever being more excited about the D-line potential.

Botticelli (Sr.)
Amaefula (Sr.)
Cockran (Jr.)
Keith (Jr.)
Ndondo-Lay (Jr.)
Ekpe (So)
Richardson (Fr)
Elmore (Fr)
Stelter (Fr)
Moore (Fr)
Kafo (Redshirted)

Spot on

We played 10 guys this year on the D-line, and we lose 2. And not even the best 2. Plus Scott Ekpe, who started as a soph and game 1 this year, will be back.

The pass rush needs to improve, but I can't remember ever being more excited about the D-line potential.

Botticelli (Sr.)
Amaefula (Sr.)
Cockran (Jr.)
Keith (Jr.)
Ndondo-Lay (Jr.)
Ekpe (So)
Richardson (Fr)
Elmore (Fr)
Stelter (Fr)
Moore (Fr)
Kafo (Redshirted)

POTENTIAL being the key term. We have lot of guys, including some with a lot of talent. But nearly all are long & lean. Look at the roster, specifically the weight of our DLs. Of the 8 returning guys mentioned, only 3 weigh more than 290lbs. What we lack is big space eaters who can take up blocks and help control the point of attack in the ground game. We are too dependent on guys playing gaps, and having one guy standing in the hole being responsible for making the tackle. We get some guys who take up space, the holes are not as big, and blockers cannot get to the LBs quite as easy. Getting Scott Epke back should help. I would like to see more of Gary Moore to determine if he is a player. WE NEED MORE BEEF!

POTENTIAL being the key term. We have lot of guys, including some with a lot of talent. But nearly all are long & lean. Look at the roster, specifically the weight of our DLs. Of the 8 returning guys mentioned, only 3 weigh more than 290lbs. What we lack is big space eaters who can take up blocks and help control the point of attack in the ground game. We are too dependent on guys playing gaps, and having one guy standing in the hole being responsible for making the tackle. We get some guys who take up space, the holes are not as big, and blockers cannot get to the LBs quite as easy. Getting Scott Epke back should help. I would like to see more of Gary Moore to determine if he is a player. WE NEED MORE BEEF!

Claeys has been pretty clear about his strategy for recruiting DTs. He prefers players that are quick and can shoot a gap. We aren't going to be recruiting any 310 lbs. that eat up space but can't get up the field.

I think Elmore or Hank Ekpe will be an upgrade over Amaefula. Anybody with me?

I had high hopes for Alex Keith, at least situational. I hope he is able to have a healthy senior year.

I agree. At what point do we hold these position coaches accountable? Some of these position groups are underperforming is Kill loyal to a fault to some of his staff?A MLB led the team in sacks with 4 or 5. Let that sink in

I agree. At what point do we hold these position coaches accountable? Some of these position groups are underperforming is Kill loyal to a fault to some of his staff?A MLB led the team in sacks with 4 or 5. Let that sink in

Seriously? This is a stretch.

To the coaches point, Kill won't fire his coaches, period, end of story. A guy would have to do something really bad behind the scenes to get fired.

As to the point about a LB leading the team in sacks I think that points to what some are saying in this tread about the D-Line play needing to get better and the concerns over whether it will or not. Cockran gets a lot of love around here but there are lots of games where he is basically invisible. In a conference with a real lack of running QB's your top DE needs to get more then 4 sacks over the course of the season.

It's more on the recruiting and understanding what they need. Kill has already acknowledged they need to get bigger on the DL. Can't coach size, you have to recruit it. That being said, DL is still my biggest worry on this team for me. The DB's covered for them at times. Nice part is that 3-4 of them were true freshmen.

I think our DT's need to command more attention.

Did we get pounded in any games this year though? Did anyone just line up and run it down our throat? Sure we let up the BIG play in the running game too often, but when I think of a team being too soft and getting run on and needing more size, generally thats a team getting out physical at the point of attack, which I cannot recall happening. (i'm honestly asking if that happened and I'm being forgetful?)

Did we get pounded in any games this year though? Did anyone just line up and run it down our throat? Sure we let up the BIG play in the running game too often, but when I think of a team being too soft and getting run on and needing more size, generally thats a team getting out physical at the point of attack, which I cannot recall happening. (i'm honestly asking if that happened and I'm being forgetful?)

The Wisconsin game felt like kind of a combination. We held them in the first half, but it seemed like in the second half we got beat up and started getting gashed because we were worn down.

FSN: Questions abound for Gophers at RB, WR & QB in 2015

Missouri's 337 rush yards and 7.5 ypc would qualify in my opinion.

I don't see your concern. I would anticipate the d line will get consistent qb pressure easing lb respnsibilities not that the lbs we have can't handle it but the defense as a whole ahold improve and be very good next season.

As others pointed out, I think it happened at times but not for a whole game. Long runs killed us against Missouri and tOSU. However we are not far off and I think the coaching staff can see it. Kill has said he thinks they will be better on defense next year.

It's unfair to lump all D Linemen in this "under 290lb" category since DE's really shouldn't be. As for our DT's, I see your point, but we do have some size. Ekpe is listed at 294lbs, Gary Moore at 300lbs, Richardson at 291lbs and Peppers at 287lbs. Also remember that there simply aren't that many quality 300lb DT's out there. There's a lot more Harold Legania's out there than Rashede Hageman's.

I had high hopes for Alex Keith, at least situational. I hope he is able to have a healthy senior year.

Agreed. He looked explosive against Eastern Illinois before he got hurt. I think he can have a big year next year, like you said, if healthy.

Peppers and Timms are two guys I'm wondering about. Were Stelter and Ndondo-Lay just that much better prospects coming in or are the coaches upset with those guys? Nebraska went after Peppers late in the recruiting process, I have to assume he has talent. I realize he was only a redshirt freshman but it's a little disappointing he didn't get on the field considering how inexperienced we were at DT other than Botticelli.

The Chik-fil-A cow respectfully disagrees.
I, however, agree 100%.

I think Cockran being a senior needs to light it up in 2015, and lay down the law...
He has the talent & potential, so I expect he will rise to the occasion.
I see him in full on beast mode, and he makes a statement in his final season as a Gopher!

PI-FBC-Theiren-Cockran-Gophers-081414.vresize.1200.675.high.70.jpg

One thing about freshmen their bodies are still maturing. I'm sure that Stelter and Elmore will both be between 285 and 290 next year rather than the 265 and 268 they played at this year.

Claeys has been pretty clear about his strategy for recruiting DTs. He prefers players that are quick and can shoot a gap. We aren't going to be recruiting any 310 lbs. that eat up space but can't get up the field.

Late in the bowl game, Cobb caught a short pass over the middle. He started upfield and was making a move when a Missouri tackle came flying through the air and took him down. The guy had been rushing Mitch, peeled off, and got Cobb from behind 15 yards from where he had been. I looked at my program and he was over 320 pounds! Like us to have one of those.

One thing about freshmen their bodies are still maturing. I'm sure that Stelter and Elmore will both be between 285 and 290 next year rather than the 265 and 268 they played at this year.

With Maxx leaving early, is there any chance Elmore moves to TE in your "opinions"?

Missouri's 337 rush yards and 7.5 ypc would qualify in my opinion.

That didn't happen because we were soft or weak. We didn't get out-physicaled. That was because we were gassed and got out-athleted IMO.

Top Bottom